OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: New Palio AK 47
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2020, 03:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah.. the infamous Palio quality control.. :lol:

I AM surprised, though... surely they have things under better control than that? I've only had the one sheet of blue, never tried the other two.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2020, 03:54 
Super User

ootbs wrote:

Yep .. it's fast.. not MXP fast, but fast indeed.. It's not too spinny, though .. above-average, in terms of control..

The surface is kind of on the matt'ish side ... but, certainly not mirror-like .... infact, I feel, if I said it's mirror-like, it would imply that its shinny/glossy..

All-in-all considering the price-to-performance ratio, I feel all the new AK-47s (Red, Blue, Yellow) are awesome.. You get an excellent bang-for-your-buck..

I'm sorry, I take back my words, about the AK-47 not being too spinny, and control being above average .. Please disregard my above-mentioned post/opinion

I played with the rubber, just twice (from which I didn't remember the rubber being to too spinny) , after which we went under total lockdown....

Now, 6 months later, the lockdown has been relaxed, I've started playing more with this rubber.. and It is quite spinny , especially when compared to some of the other (more well-know and expensive) rubbers I've played with.. Just to name a few - I find it, as spinny, or even more spinny than my tacky DHS Hurricane Neo 3, or my Reactor Corbor,or Xiom Vega Euro, Omega Pro, Donic Coppa JO, Yasaka Rakza (dunno the variant), All the Planets & Moons Of Yinhe, etc etc ...Hell, I find it faster and spinnier than Palios own Thors & Macro Era rubbers, which cost more than twice as much as AK47 Red... Players, find it harder to return my side-spin, and/or backspin serves.. my pushes seem to have more backspin, and according to some players, my topspins have an extra kick to them ..

The control also seems to be well above-average ... I can push better, and more consistently, when playing with this rubber .. My blocks too, are more consistent with it .. Flat-out hits, when playing with this rubber, are also more consistent .... However, while looping/top-spinning, I feel that a more compact (than usual) action, gets the best/most consistent results..

Disclaimer : I have only ever played with this rubber, on a stiff/hard OFF+ sort of blades. Currently, it's glued to my XVT Black Knight 7 blade, which is rather hard and stiff. So, I dunno what part the blade plays, in my perception of the AK-47 Red rubber. Plus, I dunno how long this spin & speed, will last .. My Blue version, after a year of regular usage, seems to be showing some signs of rubber separating from sponge, around the edge of the blade..

The AK-47 rubber is my current favourite rubbers.. I will surely buy another 2-3 sheets, to try-out with other blades ...

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2020, 06:05 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
ootbs wrote:
Aurelian wrote:
All of them have different degrees of hardness. So if you buy a soft version of AK47 red, it might be lighter than the harder version of AK47 blue/orange.

Soft version of the AK47 Red ? I've never seen options for sponge hardness, in either of the Blue, Yellow, Red variant of the new AK47s... The Blue, Yellow and Red ARE, in themselves, the options for sponge hardness...
Mea culpa, you're right, I bought two of them from AliExpress and it was mentioned 45-47°, that's why I thought they might sell them in different degrees of hardness :D

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2020, 06:49 

ootbs wrote:
JulianTT wrote:
Regarding the Palio AK47, the Blue is supposed to be the softest, Red the hardest and Yellow in between. I bought a Yellow and a Blue and the Blue was in reality significantly heavier and harder than the Yellow. Other people reported similar experiences, with sheets of Blue and Yellow being heavier than the Red.

I'd beg to differ - I have, and play quite regularly with all 3 (Blue, Yellow, & Red) .. .Infact, I just finished a 2-hour play-session; today, with the Red variant... Anyway...Blue, to me, seems to be the softest sponge (I'd peg it anywhere between 37° - 40°), and Red the hardest (I'd peg it anywhere between 45° - 48°) .. Yellow, sits somewhere in between... I notice that the Yellow variant seems a tad springy, if I press on the rubbers, with my finger(s).. However, does not seems too springy, when I play with it.. I can really loop consistently with it..

In terms of speed, the Red is surely the fastest... However, I can't seem to make-out much of a speed difference, between the Blue & Yellow... This could also be due to the fact that I've glued the Yellow onto a faster blade..

In terms of weight - I find the Yellow to be the heaviest of the 3 ... Even then, it's quite light, in general .. The blue seems to be the lightest, but not by much, when compared to the Red. All-in-all, I consider the AK-47s (Blue, Yellow, Red), to be quite light, generally speaking.
We're agreeing on the same basic things. The colors are supposed to be different hardnesses. Maybe the samples that you have truly are and that's great. But a lot of times they seem to be getting it wrong. Going by the color is not reliable

Julian

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2020, 15:11 
Super User

JulianTT wrote:
We're agreeing on the same basic things. The colors are supposed to be different hardnesses. Maybe the samples that you have truly are and that's great. But a lot of times they seem to be getting it wrong. Going by the color is not reliable
Julian

It's not just me, but several other players, I play with, use one of the variants of the AK47, and apart from the slight variation in the weight of the sheets, I don't see much deviation .. The rubbers seem to be what they claim to be ...

That being said, it's quite common to find manufacturing/quality discrepancies, in a lot of these Chinese made products, especially when bought from platforms such as AliExpress, and the likes..

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2020, 02:05 

Blade: Yinhe Mercury Y-13
FH: Yinhe Mercury2 Soft red
BH: Yinhe Mars2 Medium black
Could you compare Palio ak47 Red with Moon Speed Soft, please?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2020, 11:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In case you're wondering why it's taking so long to get an answer - lots of us have played with AK47 but I'll bet very few have tried Moon Soft (or Moon Hard for that matter.. :lol: ). The number who've tried both will therefore be even more miniscule. I've never played with Moon Soft, but I'll take a stab at it.

They'll play almost exactly the same. There will be a difference, but if you mounted one rubber to one side of the blade and the other rubber to the other side, you could flip the bat around and you wouldn't, in casual play, be able to tell the difference, even though you might have trouble landing shots initially. You'd have to stop, think real hard, and then try to decide one is marginally faster/spinnier/controllier ( :lol: ) than the other. You might indeed decide there's a difference but you can't really describe what it is. You'll have to try various strokes, maybe hit against a robot, to REALLY decide. In the end it won't make a bit of difference to your game - you'd score the same number of points with either rubber.

How do I know this? It's what I've experienced. With many rubbers. I'm talking about max sponge inverted sheets here, not anti or pips out or thin sponge. Maybe a better player than I am would NEED more expensive rubbers like Tenergy in order to play properly, but at my level I'd play equally well with Tenergy as I would with AK47. Yes, until recently my in-use bat had Tenergy 05 on one side and 61 Second Eagle on the other. I COULD flip it around and loop/push/hit equally well with either (the blade is my usual M8).

There are outliers of course - H3 is, I think, too slow for most lower-level players (the Neo should be faster). So are most forms of 999. Reactor Ckylin is WAY too slow - unusable unless you're a close-to-the-table blocker or 100% pusher. Or a chopper (I think it's too slow even for choppers - Joo plays with Tenergy...).

Iskandar