OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 11:43 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Now and then I pick up a bat with all-round non-tensioned rubbers, and I don't mind how it plays in casual hitting or practice loops. One of my teammates recently returned to the sport with 20-year-old Mark V on a Stiga Offensive Classic, and has just bought…new sheets of Mark V. And he does pretty well.

Has anyone here abandoned glue-effect rubbers and gone back to Sriver/Mark V/Mendo/729FX/etc?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 12:20 

Not yet, but it's crossed my mind.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 13:12 
Super User

I've played with Chinese tacky forever.

Then I dipped my toe in the water with Yinhe Big Dipper which is Yinhe's very popular tuned slightly tacky rubber.

I've always played (as a penholder) very close to the table and power has never been a problem for me. Initially I was hitting a lot of balls just long. I probably should have given it more time but I didn't keep it.

I've also hit with my buddy's tenergy 05 fx. Is it springier? Yes. Off the table it's better. Up on the table it's better but I don't think by miles. I actually prefer a tackier topsheet as I think they're spinier.

All things considered given Tenergy is like 60-70 bucks, I don't think it's worth it to me... Bust $$ is relative from person to person.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 14:06 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
i'm back with hurricane 3... 8)

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 18:07 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
When I was using inverted at the start of this year I used Tenergy 05 for a short while on my FH, but switched back to Hurricane. My son (just starting to play, not sure he likes it) has 729 FX on his ALL blade. I had a hit with that. Such a nice, reliable rubber. If I ever went back to inverted, I might go for something really basic. However, I don't have any plans to stop playing SP on my FH.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 07:31 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Cobra 3 stay -.Mark V -> Magic Carbon -> Friendship RITC Tack Speed 2000 -> Joola Tango -> Joola Tango Extreme -> F Yasaka Xtend B 729 Geospin Tacky.
(can't be bothered looking up my blog where this is documented, edit just looked & added the Cobra & Extreme)

I had to make some changes to my backspin shots (pushes & chops) going from Tack Speed 2000 to the Tango (early tensor) as my shots were going too long, however going back to the Chinese tacky on the backhand I don't remember having to make too much in the way of adjustments. Edit - I did have to adjust a little as the Geospin Tacky wasn't making it back to the net so it must have been slower.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 13:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Can't say I've ever "switched" to Tensors, even though I am playing with Rasant Turbo at the moment (9000 on the other side). Yeah, Tensors are nice, but I can't say it really changes how I play, or if I find anything else inferior. Just from reading all the hype I was expecting something earth-shatteringly dramatic when I tried Tensors, it's nothing but. Yes, there's a difference, yes, it makes looping easier, but like most differences between rubbers, it's a subtle difference. Quite disappointing, actually. I can actually flip the racket around and it doesn't take more than a slight adjustment to do the same strokes with the 9000.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 16:07 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
The head coach at one of our local clubs (used to coach me, a year or two ago) is also of the stronger players in our area (lost only one game in the top division this summer) used Tackiness Chop and Palio CJ8000 all last season. He's one of the best BH loopers in the region, and the spin on his serves is remarkable. Would he be more dangerous with tensors? He once said to me: I'll never use Tenergy - I know my limits - I can't control it well enough in the short game, and be delicate enough on serve. So maybe he would on power shots, but he's perfectly happy with "legacy" rubbers, and good technique. Furthermore, he'd say there's a connection there - using classic rubbers is a good way to ensure you do develop good technique.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 16:51 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
One of the better players in our club filled in last night after a couple month layoff. Couldn't find his bat which is Andro Supercore OFF+ with Hexer.

I lent him my spare - Yasaka Extra with Haifu Whale and Nittaku Zalt, I'd say significantly slower.

At first he wasn't playing well and said he didn't like it as he had to 'work too hard' compared to just small movements to get speed with his bat. I didn't see but apparently by the end of the night he was playing really well and landing everything.........

Not sure what this means but I don't think hit had a lot to do with the bat, maybe the two month layoff could have been a factor.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 02:46 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I'm not using tensors but I will next season. There wasn't enough weeks left for it to to be worth investing in them this year. I lost a game earlier this season but otherwise cleaned up on Donic Defplay TG3/MK V, Champion singles/doubles, Aggregate, Premiers. That's good enough rubber to do the job. I'm still flirting with my Koji blade, it still chops very well but it's still such a poor looping blade it really needs a better rubber than TG3. With good looping blades rubbers are almost irrelevant , not the case when the blade isn't up for it.

Next season I'll be using the JO shaped Donic senso carbon with Victas 401 and maybe Magic Carbon on BH. That's the best combination I've ever had a hit with.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 11:15 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

foam wrote:
Next season I'll be using the JO shaped Donic senso carbon with Victas 401 and maybe Magic Carbon on BH. That's the best combination I've ever had a hit with.

Interesting. I've always have my eye on the Donic Senso Carbon, have been thinking of a more tackier tensor like 401 and Magic Carbon had come up as an option for my next backhand rubber. Sounds like my perfect setup you have there. Would love to give try, might make the trek over for a go. Then again for the cost of fuel I might as well buy one.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 20:00 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

On another note, I'm toying with doing an experiment next season and using my N11 with Cj8000 and Venus in it. It's a short 7 week season. Would be interesting to see if my results are much different using a cheap generic Chinese type set up. As there is a five week break between seasons I'd have a chance to practice and make the necessary adjustments. There would then be another 6 weeks before the next season, plenty of time to adjust back again.

I wonder if results would be much different. My concern would be perhaps hurting my game for the long term and wasting weeks of practice.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 22:37 
Super User

Cobalt wrote:
On another note, I'm toying with doing an experiment next season and using my N11 with Cj8000 and Venus in it. It's a short 7 week season. Would be interesting to see if my results are much different using a cheap generic Chinese type set up. As there is a five week break between seasons I'd have a chance to practice and make the necessary adjustments. There would then be another 6 weeks before the next season, plenty of time to adjust back again.

I wonder if results would be much different. My concern would be perhaps hurting my game for the long term and wasting weeks of practice.

My next proper seasonal break will be around January, when a 5-week Monday pennant is scheduled. Usually our club runs two long Monday seasons (almost 4 months each) and two short ones (5 weeks each). These overlap with 10-week seasons, that follow the 4 school terms, for Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I play Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, although Fridays is a smaller group that is often just round robin, rather than pennant teams.

I can't really change until the short Monday season is the *only* pennant season, and that's during the summer break.

Tell you what, Cobalt, if you commit to a short-season change, I will do the same and we can both report back on it. At this stage I'm thinking a Sanwei M8 blade with Yasaka Mark V 1.8mm BH and DHS Skyline 3-60 mid-hard – I know this isn't cheap generic Chinese (at best, it's not quite half-way), but it's a step back from my usual soft carbon, two-tensor rig.

Personally I think it will be a test of sound technique: the more robust our technique, the better we'll adapt.

What do you reckon?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 08:06 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

hangdog wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

My next proper seasonal break will be around January, when a 5-week Monday pennant is scheduled. Usually our club runs two long Monday seasons (almost 4 months each) and two short ones (5 weeks each). These overlap with 10-week seasons, that follow the 4 school terms, for Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I play Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, although Fridays is a smaller group that is often just round robin, rather than pennant teams.

I can't really change until the short Monday season is the *only* pennant season, and that's during the summer break.

Tell you what, Cobalt, if you commit to a short-season change, I will do the same and we can both report back on it. At this stage I'm thinking a Sanwei M8 blade with Yasaka Mark V 1.8mm BH and DHS Skyline 3-60 mid-hard – I know this isn't cheap generic Chinese (at best, it's not quite half-way), but it's a step back from my usual soft carbon, two-tensor rig.

Personally I think it will be a test of sound technique: the more robust our technique, the better we'll adapt.

What do you reckon?

Gee, now you have put me on the spot. Current season still has 4 weeks left then I'll decide. When does your new season start?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 08:32 
Super User

Cobalt wrote:
Gee, now you have put me on the spot. Current season still has 4 weeks left then I'll decide. When does your new season start?

I don't have a new non-overlapping short season until January. Our current ~17-week Monday "Spring" pennant season (19 weeks counting 2 non-playing weeks) spans almost two of our 10-week pennant seasons on the other weekdays. We've finished Week 5 of the Monday Spring pennant with ~3 months more to go.

So I can't do this, without excessive disruption, until the new year. But if you want to give it a shot, whether in the upcoming season or the next, I'm game… :)