OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 04:36 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Sandwind is said to be a pretty slow defensive rubber, and Goriki Kaisoku is probably much faster.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 04:45 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Yes, Sandwind is slow and defensive, and I get that the Goriki Kaisoku isn't, but I guess what I'm really curious about is whether the Goriki Kaisoku can a good amount of spin.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 09:43 
Super User

in the beginning it's very spinny almost tacky, when that wears off it purely relies on mechanical spin, think hammond.
topspins are doable but not as spinny a with modern esn rubbers or tenergy.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 10:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
sunflex wrote:
in the beginning it's very spinny almost tacky, when that wears off it purely relies on mechanical spin, think hammond.

Sounds like a spinny short pimple perhaps? ;)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 11:18 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
sunflex wrote:

Sounds like a spinny short pimple perhaps? ;)

not really with the goriki you can still very finely brush, it's inverted just less spinny.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 17:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You know, if it behaved EXACTLY like pips out, what reason would there be for buying it??? It would only be worth buying if it's MOSTLY like pips out, but differs in one or more characteristics that, together with it's pips out like qualities, would make it more useful in some way than actual pips out.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018, 22:49 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
iskandar taib wrote:
You know, if it behaved EXACTLY like pips out, what reason would there be for buying it??? It would only be worth buying if it's MOSTLY like pips out, but differs in one or more characteristics that, together with it's pips out like qualities, would make it more useful in some way than actual pips out.

Iskandar

That is exactly what I am curious about. If it is same as a pips out, then we can buy pips out, which is usually cheaper. if however, it has the behaviour of a short pips rubber, plus inverted - essentially a split personalit - and we can invoke whichever personality we want, depending on touch, ball impact and hand speed, we could have something very interesting.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 10:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
yes I'd like to hear more about it too, especially from a short pimple player perspective.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 07:01 
Super User

I put a sheet of Goriki Kaisoku (red, 1.8 mm) on my backup blade and played 2 matches with it - lost both, BTW.
I will be comparing the GK with my regular BH rubber which is a short pip: Spinlord Waran, red, 1.8 mm. I haven't played with an inverted rubber on the BH for a few months and won't be able to compare the GK to any inverted rubber.

The GK sponge is definitely harder than the Waran's. Some stores call it "mid-hard", and I would agree with this definition. The rubber is heavier than the Waran.
The topsheet is grippy and capable of more spin than the Waran. The throw is I would say about the same which means it is low. I didn't have much problems with pushing although keeping pushes short wasn't easy.
The GK is faster (or "bouncier") than the Waran. I found it harder to receive serves and to hit the winners with it; this also affects pushes which tend to go long.
The GK is probably less sensitive to the incoming spin than most "normal" inverted rubbers but noticeably more sensitive than the Waran. That was another factor that made serve receives more difficult for me.
The GK provides you with a rewarding feeling and sound when you hit the ball hard and it lands on the table. Needless to say that my opponents weren't even close to receiving those balls when I was able to hit them right. However, that wasn't easy at all - I sent a lot of balls long; the rubber resembles Waran II in this aspect.
Blocking is about the same as with the Waran - balls might go long at first due to the bounciness but I found it pretty easy to adjust to.

All in all, I found playing with the GK more difficult than with my regular SP rubber. Serve receives aren't as easy as with an SP, and hitting the balls is even more prone to mistakes. I didn't see any advantage of GK over an SP - it's definitely more spinny but I prefer hitting to spinning with my BH.

I haven't tried GK on the FH side - perhaps, it was designed for a FH hitter type player? I found it too fast and hard to control for my BH - just like the Waran II.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 17:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Reminds me of that time I took a bunch of our University club players (all rated under about 1300 or so, most a lot lower) to a tournament. One of the vendors - I think it was the Indianapolis one - had a small pile of rubbers on really cheap sale. Can't remember what the brand was, it was some European brand (like Donic or Tibhar), but the type (can't remember the name) was unusual, and it was some shade of a purple cherry red (this was before the 2 color rule, and no, this wasn't the old 729, which was a much darker shade of plum). One of the women players bought a sheet and had it put on. I remember trying to play with her bat sometime later - it was nigh on impossible to get any spin on the ball, this rubber was slippery! No, it wasn't anti, because it was quite fast.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2019, 05:16 
Super User

If anyone is interested in buying a very slightly used (2 matches old) sheet of GK - I'm ready to sell one for $20 incl. shipping within the US.
Red, 1.8 mm, cut to my backup blade with a 2 mm margin so the dimensions are 161x157 mm. I did keep the package and the cut-off in case you need them, too.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2019, 01:32 
Super User

I tried it again with Fast Arc G1 on the other side. It feels a lot more crisp and direct than Fast Arc and it's slower (think of it as a fastish classic chinese rubber with a not really grippy topsheet)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2019, 04:15 

My wife is Japanese and translated Goriki to Strong and Hard, and Kaisoku to Fast.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 09:46 

The description is 'an inverted rubber that shares characteristics with short pips'. Interesting so I ordered this in black 1.6. Like user 'ziv' I played Waran SP before and used it for fh in 2.0. I expected some good blocking/smashing options. Active strokes are important for me and attack on backspin is always fun with SP. I play medium level in Germany.

Had a session with robot yesterday and gave it a try on WSC today. Active play doesn´t work for me at all. Smashing failed completly. The angle for hitting seems hard to find. I think this is much easier with any SP or standard inverted rubber. Anyway opponent says the ball starts to sink like SP and as it comes flat it causes some trouble. But 1 of 4 hits on the table says it all. To get used to these angles would take some time. Loops are not too spinny and have low trajectory. But GK is no rubber for loopers. Next I tried to hit backspin and this is no option too. GK feels grippy no suprise. Chopping at the table is another challenge. GK comes with hard sponge and balls tend to go long. Passive block is ok.

We played some sets where I found out my service can be loaded with backspin. This and failure of almost all my basic fh strokes today finally has led me to best use of GK. Chop away from table. This has caused real problems to opponents. Carried out by wide arm movement it creates remarkable backsin. Here I also felt best controll of GK. Unfortunately I don´t plan to become a chopper. ;)

I should mention that I also twiddled and tried GK on bh but just for 15 minutes. Here passive blocking of hard or spinny balls works nearly perfect. Also hitting by short arm movement or wrist is possible with better controll. To sum it up this is not what I expect from a socalled SP-like rubber. But it might be an option for passive blockers or choppers away from table. For my mainly active play this rubber is no option.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 14:11 

Blade: Stiga Hypertech 35/45
FH: Nittaku G-1 Max
BH: Butterfy SuperAnti 2.0 mm
My impressions on trying the GK with max sponge on Timo Boll ZLC blade. Sponge and rubber are on the harder end, mid heavy too, although the Nittaku max is just 2.0mm so not too heavy. I got it with the intention to see how it would work on my backhand (I've been playing with SuperAnti for 25+ years, and twiddle of course) and fell in love with it on my forehand. I think the reference to short pips is given in view of the relative insensitivity to incoming spin in combination with low throw angle. Probably enables by the densely placed pips underneath. It gives big confidence to counter smash or counter loop incoming topspins. When smashing, I also felt I don't need to "hold it" and can go full on smack. It reminds me of my old Avalox Purot, or a modern day Hurricane in a way that it provides amazing control when loping at full swing. Also somewhat reminded me of Tenergy25 in the easy to counter and flat kill balls. Slower spinny loops are also possible and I felt good control. My forehand flick serve return is not very good usually but with the GK I felt surprising confidence. Serve return is also easy to drop or push with good underspin. Overall it feels like a slower rubber than a tensor but at full speed it is very sharp and ball has a low trajectory. I did not try it enough on my backhand, but having less built-in catapult than a tensor, I felt it is much more intended for forehand loops and kills. Last, my serves were also visibly spinnier with it than my G-1 or MX-P. And finally a Made in Japan non-Tenergy rubber again :) I personally love it but it may not be for everyone as it's not a tensor, and not a short pip.