OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 04:52 

Blade: Stiga Nostalgic allround+
FH: Bluefire JP03 max
BH: Dornerglanz OX
I love the feel of the JP03 (Max) but sometimes I miss the extra gear in spin and speed. Im a modern defender with LP on my bh.

What I do
Hard first attack on underspin
Flat hit when I can
Blocking and fishing on a high level
Serves with a lot of spin

What I dont do
Counterloop
Since I attack so hard and wide on first I almost never get into looping vs blocking rallies (I either win point or misses the loop)

Rubbers I have tried to replace JP03
Tenergy FX 05 Max (To fast but excellent spin for serves)
Tenergy FX 80 Max (To fast)
JP01 Max (To low throw angle)
Rakza 7 Soft Max (V good spin but had a hard time to flat hit)

Should I just give up in search for something more spinny and perhaps speedy but still get control and "feel" and being able to flat hit?

1. Is FX 05 1,9 mm alot slower than 2,1 mm? Good or bad for flat hitting?
2. Rakza 7 soft 2,0 mm?
3. Other idea?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 10:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I always like soft (sponged) rubber for flat hitting, and it sounds like you're the same. Unless you're a power looper, there's no reasons to got to max sponge thickness IMO. Softer sponged rubbers do tend to feel slower though, until you really engage the blade. Harder sponges rubbers give a more direct feel of speed.
So I suspect these will work better for you:
JP02 2.0mm
Rakza 7 soft 2.0mm
T05 FX 1.9mm
You might even prefer the JP03 in 2.0mm instead of the max you're using.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 16:43 

Is powerlooping = looping hard from mid distance? If so I don't need it but I do loop v hard (Close to the table).

I like your thinking. I think ill try Rakza 07 Soft at first. Any thoughts on Rakza X Soft?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 02:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You want to avoid the rubber from "bottoming out" from looping or hitting the ball very hard (i.e. compressing the sponge the absolute limit, to where it won't compress any more). Remember there's also Rakza 7 and Rakza X Regular. if the Soft in too, er, soft. Same comment about thinner sponge, it will bottom out before thicker sponge will. Depends on how hard you hit the ball.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 04:49 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
I flat hit a lot and what works best for me is:
- Butterfly Rozena in 2,1. Not ideal for chopping but doable. Requires that you engage the sponge in order to lift backspin so the required technique is somewhat different to T05.
- Nittaku Fastarc C-1. I guess that is similar to Rakza 7 Soft but a little bit faster. Excellent for chopping. Excellent for serving. You'll also have the G-1 version which is more like T05.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:27 

iskandar taib wrote:
You want to avoid the rubber from "bottoming out" from looping or hitting the ball very hard (i.e. compressing the sponge the absolute limit, to where it won't compress any more). Remember there's also Rakza 7 and Rakza X Regular. if the Soft in too, er, soft. Same comment about thinner sponge, it will bottom out before thicker sponge will. Depends on how hard you hit the ball.

Iskandar

Why dont I want it to bottom out? I hit really really hard, I almost never met someone who hit as hard. Will a 2,0 rubber be a problem? I like the feeling of a soft rubber.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 11:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Lannakrigaren wrote:
Why dont I want it to bottom out? I hit really really hard, I almost never met someone who hit as hard. Will a 2,0 rubber be a problem? I like the feeling of a soft rubber.

Bottoming out can be an advantage for smashing as the ball comes off faster and is much less effected by incoming spin. However if the ball is too low to smash you need to loop it, and you'll need spin to curve it down onto the table... and a rubbers that's bottoming out won't give you much spin, just speed.
So against a player that gives you lots of balls to smash, you'll probably like it, but against a better player that keeps the ball low, you may struggle if you want to attack hard.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2019, 02:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually, if it DOESN'T bottom out that means you can hit it even harder before it does. A sponge that's bottomed out can't store any more energy (so hitting the ball harder won't make it go much faster), one that hasn't bottomed out can (though it's up to you to provide the added energy). Probably easiest to imagine if you compare two sponges, one very soft and one which is considerably harder. The softer sponge will bottom out before the harder one will and will reach it's "speed limit" before the harder one does.

I've also seen it posted that a bottomed out sponge leads to loss of control, but I think that applies to loops rather than flat hits.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!