OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 21:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: 729 presto max spin
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 04:51 

Blade: DHS TG7-CP
FH: Joola Golden Tango PS
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
However, it's supposed to be 'Euro/Jap' scale vs DHS scale.. (according to the guys in that discussion)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 17:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The guys in the discussion can't read Chinese. :lol: Neither could I, so I took the discussion at face value, until I had the idea of using Google Translate on the graphic. It's easy, try it yourself. Just aim the phone's camera at the screen...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2019, 03:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The current situation - cheapest Regular Presto is about $20, Presto Max will set you back and extra dollar or two. Prices went down briefly (to about $18), but have since risen again. Probably won't buy until they hit maybe $16. Both Presto Max and Presto use the same topsheet, I'm pretty sure, so what intrigues me (the account of how grippy this rubber is) can be experienced with Regular Presto, no need to get the Max. And I'd want the softer sponge in any case. As Haggis says, regular Presto comes in 42 and 44 degrees, Max in 46. The various Blooms seem a lot harder - 44, 45 and 47 degrees. I'm assuming these are Tianjin degrees (Shore O). For comparison, most training rubbers are 42. And Batwings (which doesn't seem to be available any more, though the actual rubber is) came in 42 and 44. Back when I started playing again I thought 44 sponge was "too hard", maybe I'll change my mind. Training rubber at 42 degrees seems quite a bit harder than all the Tensors I've tried (and MX-P too).

I have a sheet of Bloom Spin and one of Bloom Power, these are next in line for testing. Probably in a month or so... let's see how hard these are. Funny thing about Bloom - only Power and Spin are in the LARC, NONE of them has the ITTF numbers on the "headstamp". They use a "RITC number" instead, and they're marked with "Spin", "Arc", "Power", etc. so all the topsheets ARE different. It's not a case of five different rubbers sharing the same topsheet. Bloom prices are in the $10 range.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 10:13 

WorkoutMontage wrote:
46 deg presto max spin isn't any harder than mx-p. Certainly nothing like hurricane 8 mid-hard or anything.

You need to notice the topsheet and sponge separately when pressing your finger down. The topsheet's makes for softer feeling, but then, look at the sponge itself..

The same case as with Battle II (not Provincial) rubbers; the topsheet shows not much of a resistance when you finger press it, but the sponge.. eh, that's something different, rock-hard.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019, 02:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Speaking of Battle II:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1996613834.html

There's three options for sponge - 45, 47 and 49 degrees. I'd assume Tianjin degrees. Again, Batwings (the basic 729 General Sponge) came in 42 and 44 degrees. 49 would, indeed, be rock hard, I think. Now, interestingly, Battle II Pro (Provincial):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000057458905.html

comes in 38, 39 and 40 degrees. I'd bet a dollar to a nickel that these are, strangely enough, Shanghai degrees - this is what you'd expect to see if you were shopping for H3. Why are they using Shanghai degrees?? Maybe because these are being marketed as a replacement for H3 and you need comparable numbers to H3. Wonder if the Provincial version has two corners removed.. :lol: Maybe the regular "retail" version's missing four corners. 38, 39 and 40 on the Shanghai scale, incidentally, correspond to 48, 50 and 52 on the Tianjin scale, which means the Provincial sponge is HARDER than the normal Retail sponge.

All this stuff will become "illegal" thanks to Igor.. :lol: No more multiple choices of sponge hardnesses, no more "National" and "Provincial" versions.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019, 20:42 

iskandar taib wrote:
Speaking of Battle II:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1996613834.html

There's three options for sponge - 45, 47 and 49 degrees. I'd assume Tianjin degrees. Again, Batwings (the basic 729 General Sponge) came in 42 and 44 degrees. 49 would, indeed, be rock hard, I think. Now, interestingly, Battle II Pro (Provincial):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000057458905.html

comes in 38, 39 and 40 degrees. I'd bet a dollar to a nickel that these are, strangely enough, Shanghai degrees - this is what you'd expect to see if you were shopping for H3. Why are they using Shanghai degrees?? Maybe because these are being marketed as a replacement for H3 and you need comparable numbers to H3. Wonder if the Provincial version has two corners removed.. :lol: Maybe the regular "retail" version's missing four corners. 38, 39 and 40 on the Shanghai scale, incidentally, correspond to 48, 50 and 52 on the Tianjin scale, which means the Provincial sponge is HARDER than the normal Retail sponge.

All this stuff will become "illegal" thanks to Igor.. :lol: No more multiple choices of sponge hardnesses, no more "National" and "Provincial" versions.

Iskandar

Hi,

As I got both B2 45 d. and B2 Provincial 39 d., I had the opportunity to compare the hardnesses, and I can say for sure the 'standard' B2 sponge is harder.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019, 21:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

My guess was just that, a guess. I wonder what the Provincial degrees are in that case. 38, 38 and 40 would be quite soft on the Tianjin scale and way softer than H3.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019, 01:04 

I believe these are all DHS scale numbers. Regular B2s, therefore, come with really hard sponges, but the topsheets are different, and they make the rubbers feel softer. The same applies to Presto rubbers.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!