OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2019, 00:03 

Blade: Nittaku Rorin
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: -
yo

i was wondering if there are any other tacky rubbers softer than a 42 degrees 729FX

the 729FX has served me well, but i wanted a tacky rubber with a more nicer feeling than the 729FX and i thought softer rubbers might just do the trick

i am aware of the large pored 729FX but i have heard that the short game is not quite as good due to its bounciness and i wanted to know if there are other softer tacky rubbers out there i should know about before proceeding to buy rubbers

also a brief rant

i wish the sponge hardness scales between manufacturers are all standardized

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2019, 02:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

CJ8000. It comes in some pretty soft sponges. These three seem to be the softest (36-38 degree sponge - and I'm pretty sure these are Tianjin degrees, like 729 and Yinhe use):

"Jade necklace"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000189666675.html

"Ball Moon"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829413305.html

"Purple Plane"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/906333698.html

"Jade Necklace" is actually not tacky.. kinda unusual. And claims to be a "Tensor". "Ball Moon" seems to be unusually cheap at the moment, too (actually tempted to get a sheet.. :lol: ). As with all products from Eacheng - search AliExpress for the item - there are seven Eacheng "stores" on AliExpress and each has a different price... :lol: Note also that some of these sheets give you a choice of sponge thickness.

The problem with CJ8000 is the sheets are often "dished", which makes them a little difficult to attach to the blade. CJ8000 aficionados use booster (or baby oil) to flatten out the dish. Palio stuff isn't the best when it comes to build quality, unfortunately.

Igor's been trying to get this rubber banned... :lol: Might've succeeded, too, in a couple years, if he isn't bluffing.

By the way, just because I wrote a long time ago that 729SuperFX with the large pore sponge was too bouncy, don't let that stop you from trying it. It's only what.. nine bucks? If you don't like it sell it to some clubmate for five bucks.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2019, 04:24 
Super User

Juic 999 def

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 01:35 

iskandar taib wrote:
CJ8000. It comes in some pretty soft sponges. These three seem to be the softest (36-38 degree sponge - and I'm pretty sure these are Tianjin degrees, like 729 and Yinhe use):

"Jade necklace"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000189666675.html

"Ball Moon"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829413305.html

"Purple Plane"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/906333698.html

"Jade Necklace" is actually not tacky.. kinda unusual. And claims to be a "Tensor". "Ball Moon" seems to be unusually cheap at the moment, too (actually tempted to get a sheet.. :lol: ). As with all products from Eacheng - search AliExpress for the item - there are seven Eacheng "stores" on AliExpress and each has a different price... :lol: Note also that some of these sheets give you a choice of sponge thickness.

The problem with CJ8000 is the sheets are often "dished", which makes them a little difficult to attach to the blade. CJ8000 aficionados use booster (or baby oil) to flatten out the dish. Palio stuff isn't the best when it comes to build quality, unfortunately.

Igor's been trying to get this rubber banned... :lol: Might've succeeded, too, in a couple years, if he isn't bluffing.

By the way, just because I wrote a long time ago that 729SuperFX with the large pore sponge was too bouncy, don't let that stop you from trying it. It's only what.. nine bucks? If you don't like it sell it to some clubmate for five bucks.. :lol:

Iskandar

interesting choices

the QC problems of palio is discouraging though

on the same note, would you recommend a Mercury 2 of medium hardness? heard its p great for its price but its durability varies a lot

selling rubbers i dont like to clubmates is a sound idea but the problem comes in convincing tensor lovers to buy it from me :D

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 01:38 

deva sarjan wrote:
Juic 999 def

what about the other juic 999s like juic 999 CHN and juic 999 attack?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 03:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Mercury II is definitely a nice rubber. Considering you can often get it for a little more than $5 a sheet I wouldn't worry too much about durability.

Palio does have QC issues, but CJ8000 is a pretty nice rubber overall and for the price it's worth a try. There are some people who swear by it. The topsheet has an interesting texture.

The 11/11 sale is coming up.. expect some discounts but not deep discounts as a whole. Maybe a bargain here and there.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 04:09 
Super User

netdriver wrote:
deva sarjan wrote:
Juic 999 def

what about the other juic 999s like juic 999 CHN and juic 999 attack?

their sponges are harder

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 17:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
A few weeks ago I played against somone using cj8000 and had problems with the heavy underspin serves which were difficult to lift.Last week I tried the green packet cj 8000 36/38 in1.5 sponge.It's soft but the black top sheet is really tacky and holds a ball for ages,says tensor on the packet but I've had it unopened in the tt cupboard ages so a newer sheet maybe quicker,compared to 729 fx the top sheet is thinner and the feel is softer than I remember 729
On Stiga allround I couldn't get the spin levels I get with T05 ,I did notice that the ox lp were slower and more controlled, it may get better as the tack wears off and with a little booster but I have a Bty Spinart to try and this looks more interesting, I did some backspin serves on the carpet and the spin levels look better than T05 and I was pleased that it feels not as hard a some reviews suggest,testing tomorrow

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 19:15 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
If you don't mind spending a little extra, why not get Yasaka Shining Dragon or Rising Dragon. YSD is more Chinese-style and has slightly tackiness and lots of grippiness. YRD is more hybrid rubber lot more grippy and higher throw and more mix of Chinese/Euro-style behaviour.

And I think the CJ8000-Spin variant is the rubber with the medium tackiness and lighter/softer sponge.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 21:45 
Super User

Do you have speed and price preferences?

If on the cheap, 729 "Sky Wing" is probably the softest tacky rubber around. A bit slow in the top end though.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 22:08 

man_iii wrote:
If you don't mind spending a little extra, why not get Yasaka Shining Dragon or Rising Dragon. YSD is more Chinese-style and has slightly tackiness and lots of grippiness. YRD is more hybrid rubber lot more grippy and higher throw and more mix of Chinese/Euro-style behaviour.

And I think the CJ8000-Spin variant is the rubber with the medium tackiness and lighter/softer sponge.

wish i could spend extra but my budget is tight atm

YSD and YRD has been on my radar for a while actually

which of them are better at blocking?

what other "soft" tacky rubbers do u recommend?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 22:12 

lasta wrote:
Do you have speed and price preferences?

If on the cheap, 729 "Sky Wing" is probably the softest tacky rubber around. A bit slow in the top end though.

i can spend exactly 20 dollars and i dont have any speed preferences

how is skywing like if you have used it before? like how it plays in looping, etc

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 22:38 
Super User

The skywing is OK I suppose.

Very soft, slightly less tacky than the original 729 but still very good grip. Forgiving, speed on the low end. Easy flicks, opening loops are very easy, but I prefer harder and faster rubbers for counterlooping.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 02:53 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
netdriver wrote:
man_iii wrote:

wish i could spend extra but my budget is tight atm

YSD and YRD has been on my radar for a while actually

which of them are better at blocking?

what other "soft" tacky rubbers do u recommend?

Simply put YRD is middle-of-the-ground rubber and doesn't nothing outstanding. When you block or attack the ball goes where you tell it. But you won't be able to fully get the maximum spin or speed and the rubber won't work for you or against you so you have to master your game best you can. YRD is the control rubber that helped me transition from Euro rubbers to Chinese rubbers. I still use it though less often.

YSD is NOT as forgiving as YRD. Throw-angle is low, spin sensitive, tons of spin and based on arm-strength massive speed as you can put into it. Best if you loop-drive or attack or punch as blocking is not easy with YSD.

Soft tacky rubbers tend to be lightweight due to sponge being more porous and hence lighter. Perhaps one of the Yinhe Moon rubber or Yinhe Sun rubber ? Jupiter is stupid heavy and hard as hell.

Other Chinese hybrids are Tibhar Hybrid K1/ K1plus / K1J? Stiga Mantra series ? But I don't know what they are like.

Cheap Chinese tacky soft rubbers tend to be 729 rubbers 02/08/SST Cross? /Origin/etc ... I haven't seen anything from Palio other than CJ8000 that can be considered soft tacky. Maybe one of those weird 61 second lightning ?

KTL/LKT XT Pro <--- I believe is the tacky version ( XP Pro is the grippy version I think )

Try let us know what you find :-D

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 03:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

dazzler wrote:
A few weeks ago I played against somone using cj8000 and had problems with the heavy underspin serves which were difficult to lift.Last week I tried the green packet cj 8000 36/38 in1.5 sponge.It's soft but the black top sheet is really tacky and holds a ball for ages,says tensor on the packet but I've had it unopened in the tt cupboard ages so a newer sheet maybe quicker,compared to 729 fx the top sheet is thinner and the feel is softer than I remember 729
On Stiga allround I couldn't get the spin levels I get with T05 ,I did notice that the ox lp were slower and more controlled, it may get better as the tack wears off and with a little booster but I have a Bty Spinart to try and this looks more interesting, I did some backspin serves on the carpet and the spin levels look better than T05 and I was pleased that it feels not as hard a some reviews suggest,testing tomorrow

A real Tensor is made in Germany by the company ESN. So anything Chinese (or Japanese) can't be a Tensor. Probably the best term to use (for things such as Tibhar Evolution and Tenergy, and with a pinch of salt, AK47 Red/Blue/Yellow, or Sanwei Target National, or with even bigger pinch - or teaspoon - of salt, certain variants of CJ8000) would be "Tensoroid".

Incidentally, Sky Wing's selling point is light weight. Part of this is the sponge is 2.0mm rather than 2.2. I don't recall that the sheet I had was particularly sticky compared to other rubbers.

Also by the way, Tibhar has a line of "Hybrid" rubbers (K1, K2, K1J, etc.) which have Chinese-like topsheets and soft, boosted Tensor-type sponges. 729 also has a range of "big cat" rubbers, with Chinese topsheets and German or Japanese sponge.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!