OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 22:26 

Blade: Xiom allround s
Hi, I have played tablet ennis for around 1,5 years using European rubbers, and been playing tournaments and leagues for 6 months.
I think i might have gone with too fast rubbers, and i would like to try to slow down a bit and focus on technique.
I am looking for beginner friendly Chinese rubbers which are tacky and hard.

I have looked at the 729 Battle 2 (40degrees FH and 38 degrees backhand) which looks awesome, but i am afraid this option is too fast and maybe too hard.
I have also looked at the 729fx, but i think that this rubber is too soft.

Can you guide me to some good rubbers for my situation?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 23:38 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
FS 729 Super FX certainly isn't soft, in fact it is harder than say, Vega Pro.

My recommendation: Hurricane 3. The plain commercial version is more than ok and fits your requirements. Save a lot of money on equipment experiments, this rubber is one of the best you can find for every style. If you've gotten used to it, you'll never need - or want - an upgrade...

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 23:46 

Confusing, i read a review that says 729 super fx is around 43-44 degrees (http://www.tabletennisnerd.com/rubbers/ ... fx-review/)

I have never tried boosting rubbers, and it seems like a bit of a hassle. Can i use the hurricane 3 without it?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 01:12 

Blade: Nittaku Rorin
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: -
Trel wrote:
Confusing, i read a review that says 729 super fx is around 43-44 degrees (http://www.tabletennisnerd.com/rubbers/ ... fx-review/)

I have never tried boosting rubbers, and it seems like a bit of a hassle. Can i use the hurricane 3 without it?

one thing to keep in mind is that the sponge hardness scales of each table tennis brands are usually not the same

super 729 fx is hard. it is chinese rubber after all, but perhaps not as hard when compared to hurricane 3

chinese rubbers are usable without boosting, only thing is that you need to put more effort into your strokes

that said, super 729 fx helped me a lot in learning forehand topspin. i would recommend getting it. however, hurricane 3 is also a fine option and i believe that you can get more spin and speed out of hurricane 3 compared to a super 729 fx (yes, even unboosted).

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 01:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It seems to me that Hurricane 3 (unboosted) is a tad too slow for most beginner-level (or lower club level) players. 729 will actually be faster. If you're capable of Ma Long type strokes it's a different matter - H3 would be capable of a higher top end speed. But you need the strokes to even get there. If you're an up-and-coming junior with coaching and will hit 2000 in a year, that's one thing. If you're a lower-level casual or lower ratings-level tournament player I'd suggest 729 would be a better option. Or Focus III Snipe, or AK47 Blue, or Bloom Spin, or CJ8000.... all of these are "faster" than H3.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 02:11 

Thanks for all the help.
I just noticed that the 729fx i've been looking at says "large pores" and doesn't seem to be official from 729 brand.
Besides the 729fx i found the yinhe jupiter 2 rubber, do you think this is okay as well? it seems good and also cheap which is a big plus.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3278809 ... H19lt&mp=1

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 02:15 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I like the Big Dipper more than the Jupiter II, and it's also cheap, so I'd suggest going with that instead.
However, I'm not sure if either of these rubbers is "beginner friendly" or more targeted towards advanced players.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 09:57 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
iskandar taib wrote:
It seems to me that Hurricane 3 (unboosted) is a tad too slow for most beginner-level (or lower club level) players. 729 will actually be faster. If you're capable of Ma Long type strokes it's a different matter - H3 would be capable of a higher top end speed. But you need the strokes to even get there. If you're an up-and-coming junior with coaching and will hit 2000 in a year, that's one thing. If you're a lower-level casual or lower ratings-level tournament player I'd suggest 729 would be a better option. Or Focus III Snipe, or AK47 Blue, or Bloom Spin, or CJ8000.... all of these are "faster" than H3.

Iskandar

How about H3 Neo? 38 or 39 deg.

Also, if a transition is necessary, maybe H3-50 or Skyline 3-60 are good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 11:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

ziv wrote:
I like the Big Dipper more than the Jupiter II, and it's also cheap, so I'd suggest going with that instead.
However, I'm not sure if either of these rubbers is "beginner friendly" or more targeted towards advanced players.

In my opinion, there aren't any Chinese rubbers I've tried that any beginner who can control the ball at all can't play with. Rank beginners just picking up the bat is another matter, of course.. at the beginning they can't play with ANY inverted rubber, nothing will hit the table. But once they've moved beyond this stage, it doesn't matter if they're using Yinhe 9000 or Big Dipper (or 729 FX or H3 or AK47 or CJ8000 or Corbor) - they're all usable.

Alas wrote:

How about H3 Neo? 38 or 39 deg.

Also, if a transition is necessary, maybe H3-50 or Skyline 3-60 are good options.

I don't know, I haven't tried those yet.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 12:04 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
ziv wrote:

I absolutely agree that Yinhe Jupiter II is NOT beginner friendly at all ! Very hard rubber. Difficult to control.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 12:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:
I absolutely agree that Yinhe Jupiter II is NOT beginner friendly at all ! Very hard rubber. Difficult to control.

It's statements like this that make me want to go buy a rubber to try... :lol: So far I've been disappointed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026742900.html

12 bucks. 3 choices of sponge. I wonder if those are Tianjin or Shanghai degrees (maybe Shanghai, though Yinhe's a Tianjin company). Cheaper than Big Dipper - which came first? It does look like my current 729 Bloom Power/Spin is going to last a really long time, though.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 14:21 
Super User

If you're developing strokes/technique, then I would strongly suggest Chinese tacky rubber ... here's my reasoning (For convenience, I've simply Copy/pasted from another thread, where I had posted the same.. Sorry, I don't know how to link posts)

Here's what I feel, based on my experience with a few Chinese Tacky rubbers (especially ones by 729, Globe, and then DHS), especially, ones from the pre-40mm and plastic ball era...

A lot of the tradition chinese tacky rubbers have a low-throw, are spin-sensitive, tend to be hard'ish, the ball does not sink in much, are on the heavier side...Hence, the combination of these factors, makes these rubbers, sort-of, less forgiving, and more demanding (compared to beginner-level Euro/Jap rubbers) , from a technique aspect. Take looping, for instance - Since the ball does not sink into the rubber as much (compared to Euro/Jap style rubbers), and since the rubbers tend to have a low-throw, a player, may be forced to loop with a proper brushing action...and if the brushing action is proper, I feel, the quality of the loop is better, generally speaking.... Where I am, most coaches, emphasize of proper brushing action, for loops...

Another advantage of using tacky rubbers, for beginners, is service receive .. Since they tend to be sensitive to spin, receiving serves requires more technique. This same spin-sensitivity, make it harder to lift-backpsin, without proper technique... These rubbers, also tend to be rather spinny..

Chinese rubbers are also recommended for learning/improving/playing a short-game...

So, to me, the very fact that these rubbers can be rather un-forgiving, if the technique is not correct, makes them a good choice, for someone still learning the ropes..

I'm not saying that it's impossible to learn with Euro/Jap rubbers... The above is just based on my personal experience...[/DailyMotion]

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 16:01 

Quote:
A lot of the tradition chinese tacky rubbers have a low-throw, are spin-sensitive, tend to be hard'ish, the ball does not sink in much, are on the heavier side...Hence, the combination of these factors, makes these rubbers, sort-of, less forgiving, and more demanding (compared to beginner-level Euro/Jap rubbers) , from a technique aspect. Take looping, for instance - Since the ball does not sink into the rubber as much (compared to Euro/Jap style rubbers), and since the rubbers tend to have a low-throw, a player, may be forced to loop with a proper brushing action...and if the brushing action is proper, I feel, the quality of the loop is better, generally speaking.... Where I am, most coaches, emphasize of proper brushing action, for loops...

Another advantage of using tacky rubbers, for beginners, is service receive .. Since they tend to be sensitive to spin, receiving serves requires more technique. This same spin-sensitivity, make it harder to lift-backpsin, without proper technique... These rubbers, also tend to be rather spinny..

Chinese rubbers are also recommended for learning/improving/playing a short-game...

So, to me, the very fact that these rubbers can be rather un-forgiving, if the technique is not correct, makes them a good choice, for someone still learning the ropes..

Agree with everything said here. I would add that is is good to start with the Chinese rubber on an All+ to Off- blade.

This way the player learns to generate their own power. Later after their stroke is fixed, and they move to a faster setup, they will be ripping the ball.

We had a young player in our program a couple years ago who had his forehand technique destroyed by his father, who kept replacing the equipment we provided with super fast setups. The boy developed very cautious bent arm forehand technique just to try to keep the ball on the table.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 23:53 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
iskandar taib wrote:
man_iii wrote:

It's statements like this that make me want to go buy a rubber to try... :lol: So far I've been disappointed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026742900.html

12 bucks. 3 choices of sponge. I wonder if those are Tianjin or Shanghai degrees (maybe Shanghai, though Yinhe's a Tianjin company). Cheaper than Big Dipper - which came first? It does look like my current 729 Bloom Power/Spin is going to last a really long time, though.

Iskandar

Why not buy it compare ? :lol:

I found the rubber very low-throw, almost dead when trying to push close to the table near the net, had to play fast strokes almost horizontal and parallel to the table else the ball would fly off or fly into the net ...

After boosting it with J&J BO ... it became the most lively Chinese rubber I had played with to date.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 02:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:
Why not buy it compare ? :lol:

I found the rubber very low-throw, almost dead when trying to push close to the table near the net, had to play fast strokes almost horizontal and parallel to the table else the ball would fly off or fly into the net ...

After boosting it with J&J BO ... it became the most lively Chinese rubber I had played with to date.

I might. But I've got a long list of rubbers to try. And these days I don't stop using something until it's about dead. There's two rackets in my bag that still have life in them, one has Rakza 7 on it, the other has Three Sword Red Dragon and yellow Tuttle Octopus on it - I have to give those some playing time besides using my current bat with Bloom Power and Bloom Spin...

By the way, "dead" and "low-throw" is how EmRatThich describes "real pro" Chinese rubbers (meaning the H3 the Chinese National Team actually uses). So maybe you have a point here... such a rubber wouldn't be likeable for beginners or for hobbyists since they require Ma Long level power to work. Also Brett said that such rubbers are only really usable at the pro level when boosted to "insane levels".

J&J BO??? (As in Body Odor??? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Iskandar