OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 11:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The $5.76 price is good for another few hours... :lol: If you do a search you'll see prices vary from $5.76 to about $15... And beware of extra shipping. The link I provided above is for $5.76 with no additional shipping. It always pays to search...

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 03:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Aww.. the price went up. To $5.84... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020, 00:49 

Blade: Stiga All-round Classic
FH: Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0
Actually another few questions (and I thought I would be clear now...

I was reading on different topic how to develop a good technique for a beginner - and tacky rubbers have come up...). Would e.g. Friendship 729 Super FX be in your view a better option than the e.g. Rakza 7 - for a beginner learning proper technique.

(I am assuming I already have relatively good technique... I can loop underspin quite consistently and from the ground/hip rotation in training - not so much in matches though :) )

And, how much do you usually test (should test) a rubber to see if it is working? (729 Super FX is cheap so happy to try - I just do not want to loose a lot of time figuring it out and changing all the time...)

Thanks a lot. David

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020, 07:49 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Old Friendship rubbers are very different to what you tried and they need a very different playing technique. That is nice if one has no technique, but it is not your case. Chinese classic rubbers are very hard and very slow, more then Varispin. Do not waste your time.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020, 15:59 
Super User

729 FX is very slow and tacky which would amplify your spin generating/reaction mistakes as you try to hit harder to just get the ball over. Not recommended in general, and certainly not recommended on a flexy blade.

On the other hand, if you can't stay away from Path 2, 729 FX is a good example of how a hard tacky topsheet on a soft sponge rubber would feel. Rakza is non-tacky medium-medium. At that price, might as well get 2 sheets and a Sanwei M8. If you don't use it, I'm sure new club mates would appreciate you having something to lend them.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020, 19:57 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
729 superfx and 729-05 are a lot more beginner friendly than say any of the tensor rubbers. Even Rakza 7 can be difficult for a beginner but not so for the 729... So get a cheap setup like M8 with 729SFX or 729-05 and sell / gift it off once your game has improved. Also nothing can fix poor techniques so get to a club and coaching to get it right the first time round and not waste too much on just equipment. :-D

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 04:03 
Super User

I can play with 759FX but cannot land the ball on the table with something soft and springy as Joola Samba. I think opposite is also true.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 14:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
729 FX is very slow and tacky which would amplify your spin generating/reaction mistakes as you try to hit harder to just get the ball over. Not recommended in general, and certainly not recommended on a flexy blade.

I think the opposite is true. A slower setup allows you to hit harder and not miss the end of the table. Too fast of a setup and you're holding back, and this causes the development of gimpy strokes. Though I think it's mostly the blade rather than the rubber at fault in most cases - for some reason a lot of beginners will buy expensive carbon blades that are too fast. Maybe because they're expensive. :lol: Same with rubbers - there's the perception that a $40 rubber is always better than a $7 rubber.

The truth be told - there are a lot of players here who play U-1500 level table tennis, and 729FX is perfectly good for them. In fact I think it's perfectly good for people who play a lot better than 1500 level. It was good enough for Guo Yuehua, and he was better than 99% of the players posting here.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 14:41 
Super User

+1 for slower setup for me as it gives me more feel, confidence and control. :up: With a fast setup I have no feel, confidence and control.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 19:43 

lasta, man iii, Omut, iskandar and TTbuddy,

Thanks a lot for your replies. The answers seem to be getting both ways. I probably go with the Rakza's 7 as seems to be less of a change.

I would be still interested to hear your answers to the second question - how long do you think one should stick to a new setup to be able to say it works or not? (Assuming somebody plays 10-15+ hours a week.)

Thanks a lot. David

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 02:58 
Super User

I think you need at least two distinct days of training to understand the rubber. Usually it should work in practice very soon but tournament games against unknown opponent need more confidence. Not less then several weeks.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 20:33 

Omut, thanks a lot

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 02:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

dantosik wrote:
I would be still interested to hear your answers to the second question - how long do you think one should stick to a new setup to be able to say it works or not? (Assuming somebody plays 10-15+ hours a week.)

Wow.. you do get to play a lot.

It's hard to answer. I'm usually relatively insensitive to rubber, I've had two identical blades with different rubbers on them (in one case - Rasant on one and Big Dipper on the other, in this case practicing loops against a robot) and could switch back and forth between the two without any problems. I actually wanted to find out what the difference was, and.. well, I could barely tell the difference. Same strokes worked. This despite one rubber being a non-tacky Tensor and the other being a tacky Chinese rubber. (Different blades, though, can really throw me off.)

That's most of the time. And then I put together this bat with Three Sword Red Dragon on one side and yellow Tuttle Octopus on the other. Both of these are non-tacky. The Red Dragon (supposedly "better than Butterf-- Tenerg-" :lol: ) LOOKED really nice - same sort of "floppy" feel as a Tensor, same sort of packaging. So I was expecting great things. I bring it out.. and I couldn't loop with it! Weird. I eventually managed to play with it by opening up the bat and hitting in a more forward direction. No brushing allowed, apparently. But I felt uncomfortable with it. So I put the bat away and made up another one with Bloom Power and Bloom Spin, these are both (highly) tacky rubbers, things seemed back to normal. After about a month I brought out the "yellow bat" again - and surprise! It suddenly felt REALLY comfortable. I could do anything I wanted with it. Weird. It's now the racket I use for games. I think this weekend I'll pull out the Bloom racket again, just to see what the difference is.

So I'd say.. give it a couple weeks before deciding whether it's "good" or not. In all likelihood it'll work just fine.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 19:12 

iskandar, very helpful thanks a lot. Couple of weeks is not that bad compared to long-term progress - unless one starts to try a lot and cumulate these couple of weeks over and over.

I now ordered the Rakza 7. If those work compared to the very soft Samba+, I might get further/harder (great is that few of my clubmates have T05 for testing). If Rakza 7 does not work, I can step down. (The only other direction I can think of now - as a second next step - is trying a tacky rubber on FH... :))

All the best, David

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 21:30 

iskandar, and your comments seem to confirm what I read that blade makes much more of the game than the rubber...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!