OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 02:49 

Blade: Avalox Blue Thunder 555
FH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
BH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
So, overall I find FX-S to be the best rubber (of those that I've tried) for my bh and fh at the moment. The only area I find it significantly lacking in is surface grip and underspin on service. And it's maybe slightly too soft. I guess that the softer sponge makes it so I have to dig more in to get out the spin, which makes sense when I loop, then I get plenty of dwell and spin.

I read a couple places that EL-S has great grip and is great for underspin service. Is this true compared to FX-S? I guess the harder sponge makes it easier? I'm not looking for something faster (or slower) than FX-S, so I guess I could go with 1,7-1,8 with EL-S instead of 1.9-2.0 that I use now.

My original idea was to try out Fastarc C1 at some point, because I've seen people mentioning it as being very grippy and great for service. Plus it's a bit lighter, which I favor. I'm just afraid that I would loose the caracteristics of the Evolution sponge that I really like with FX-S at least.

My experiences:

The rubbers I've found best for service is CJ8000 36-38 and Nittaku Factive. Both very grippy rubbers.

Golden Tango PS (Max) is very spinny, but it's a bit too bouncy for me. Makes it a little difficult to keep the ball low and short. I really like it for looping though, but somtetimes I find it a bit too bouncy with it's higher throw, and I'll overshoot when close to the table and not hitting properly. FX-S has the perfect amount of bounce for me.

Victas V>11 Extra (2 mm) is an odd one. Nice low weight. Very grippy, but slightly too hard for me, similarly to GTPS. It's the same problem. Spinny, but a bit difficult to keep short and low on service due to the hardness I think. I find 45 degree to be the perfect hardness for me. V>11E for attacking is quite slow when not looping hard. But when I do loop harder, I have to watch out for the higher gears suddenly kicking in with a high throw. It's like there's no middle gears, which I don't like.

Have anyone played with FX-S, EL-S and C1 (or just 2 of them) and can compare. What's the real difference?

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2020, 18:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Before you decide that the rubber limits your ability to put backspin on the ball go find Brett Clarke's videos on serving. It's amazing what correct technique does for the spin you create... there is a trick to it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 07:26 

Blade: Avalox Blue Thunder 555
FH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
BH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
iskandar taib wrote:
Before you decide that the rubber limits your ability to put backspin on the ball go find Brett Clarke's videos on serving. It's amazing what correct technique does for the spin you create... there is a trick to it.

Iskandar
I know :) And practice is the only key to getting better.
Using my body-weight and underarm. Accelerating with a snap in the wrist on ball contact. Hitting the ball at a lower point to keep it low. The more open the bat-angle is, the easier it is to impart underspin. Hitting the ball somewhere between the bottom and the middle of the surface to get as much dwell as possible. I know and do all these things. It's just more practice needed ;P

Other players at around my level, sometimes have problems returning my underspin serves. A few really don't like them and are swearing and calling them nasty XD I can make the ball low and hit the opponents surface more than twice. Some of them return towards the net Before going to floor. So it's not like I don't know how to do it, but surely there's plenty of room for improvement, so I'll watch what you recommended, in case that I'm missing out on something.
I just think that I have quite high standards for myself. I always have, when I want to get better at something. My clubmates often comments that my improvements (just in general) over the last 3 months is like a straight diagonal line upwards. I don't see that myself. But who's better to notice my own small ups and downs in detail better than myself? I actually quitted tt a couple of times in the past, because my standards are too high and I didn't have the patience for the time it takes to get there. But since last time I learned that I'm not getting anywhere at all if I quit. The most important thing is just to keep your focus on the goal no matter how long it takes. As long as you do your best and take your time.

It's just that I noticed a significant decrease in spin producting when going from bt555 to bt777 with cj8000 on both. Then after getting used to the stiffer blade, I changed rubbers, because I wanted even more speed. FX-S on backhand and GTPS on forehand. Had to get used to the extra speed. The spin was there. After awhile I changed the forehand rubber to FX-S as well, because I wanted a slightly softer and lighter rubber but still with great spin, and better on open-ups. I Even tried my backhand rubber Before switching, and I decided that it was enough spin if I put in a little extra effort. But after the change, I noticed that the spin stops quite early and that the surface lacks grip compared to non tacky rubbers like Factive and V11E. I really love FX-S for looping and that clicking is addictive :D

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 14:31 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
The trouble with asking opinions on what you should try, is that everyone has a different preference, touch, and skill level. You will get so many different opinions you head will start spinning. You may also find you prefer black over red for serving, on some it makes no difference others it makes a big difference.

Of the rubbers you listed, I've only tried the V-11 Extra (I didn't find any advantage over my V-15 Stiff), and the C-1 which seemed to have a lower and longer throw than I like, and didn't like either enough to stick with it. I'm staying with my V-15 Stiff (slightly softer sponge than V-11 Stiff and I think a stiffer topsheet) and before that I was using Donic Bluefire M2.

I also tried the Stiga DNA Medium, and found it to have similar properties to V-11 Extra, only minor differences on my blades.

I agree with Iskandar's comment "before you decide the rubber is limiting your spin".

Just find something you like and stick with it (a minimum of 6 months before you consider any changes). Your touch will get better over time and you'll find the spin for your serves.

I like trying out other sheets, and have wasted a lot of time and money over the years. I still do it though, just can't resist the latest marketing ploy to get me to part with my money. But I still come back to my standard stuff because I know it works for my touch and I have confidence it will not let me down. :up:

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 14:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It's not a conscious snap of the wrist, it's stopping the arm so that the loose wrist allows the hand to accelerate of itself. Like cracking the tip of a whip. Maybe the rubber might affect how much spin you can produce, but technique makes much more of a difference.

Don't let me discourage you from trying different rubbers, though - I do it myself. I never buy the same (expensive) sheet twice. :lol: Part of what makes table tennis interesting is the colorful packages and marketing that goes into table tennis rubbers. Just as long as you're aware it doesn't make all that much difference... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2020, 18:20 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I like FX-S a LOT and have zero issues with spin on serves. It is a matter of the impact (grip and how force is applied) and acceleration.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter