OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 11:02 

Some background:
Due to some accumulated shoulder injuries, doing much forehand looping causes me a lot of pain.
For this reason I've been trying to develop more of a flat hit/smash on the forehand.
To aid my transition, I've used short pimples for the last few years, but I still prefer the feel of inverted for most other shots.
I generally prefer a medium hardness rubber on the forehand.
I'd like it light to minimize the weight gain from short pimples as having a lighter bat puts less strain on the body.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 13:25 
Super User

jevansau wrote:
Some background:
Due to some accumulated shoulder injuries, doing much forehand looping causes me a lot of pain.
For this reason I've been trying to develop more of a flat hit/smash on the forehand.
To aid my transition, I've used short pimples for the last few years, but I still prefer the feel of inverted for most other shots.
I generally prefer a medium hardness rubber on the forehand.
I'd like it light to minimize the weight gain from short pimples as having a lighter bat puts less strain on the body.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan

I'm in the same boat as you are - issues with my Shoulder, plus, my elbow and wrist too, due to which I was forced to switch to light-weight setups ..

For the past couple of months, I've been playing with Palio AK-47 Red .. It's fairly light-weight, and can pack a punch .. Not the spiniest rubber I've ever played with, but can generated respectable amounts of it. If I had to compare it to a tensor, then I'd say it's like a toned-down version of MX-P... Oh, and it costs, just $12.

A few short-comings - Takes some effort to lift back-spin with it (This, in part could also be due shot-comings, in my technique). There have been reports of manufacturing inconsistencies, durability issues, and also, that the rubber loses grip, after sometime..

I feel this is an awesome, light-weight, attacking rubber, with hard to matched price:performance

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 13:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Xiom Omega IV Elite

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 17:52 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
Xiom Omega IV Elite

oooh... nice one .. liked on FH, for loops .. blocking is okay ... but, I found it to be quite soft... not medium-hard at all.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 19:12 
Super User

A thinner sponge Bryce Highspeed (medium weight) and a balsa or balsa-carbon blade .

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 06:55 

Thanks for all the suggestions. One rubber I had considered was the Victas VJ>7 Limber. From Alex's review it seemed much like what I was looking for.

I'm already using very light, custom made bat .

Price isn't really a concern for me.

Regards,
Jonathan

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 17:52 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Rasanter R42 best rubber I have used for all round play with great control and speed when you need it on an all+ to off- blade. Feels medium hard in 2.00mm despite stated 42degree sponge. Plus of course quite light in 2.00mm at close to 40gm cut.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 18:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Donic Desto F3 Big Slam - great for smashing and with a very soft and light sponge.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 14:27 

[quote="haggisv"]Donic Desto F3 Big Slam - great for smashing and with a very soft and light sponge.[/quote]

The light sounds good, but not so much the very soft. I was thinking more of the 40 - 42 degree hardness range.
The short pimples I used were spinpips blue and spectol blue.

Butterfly Raystorm 2.2
Tibhar EL-S
RL Australis

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 04:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Harder sponges are typically denser and therefore not lightweight. Another two that come to mind are Donic S1 Turbo and Tuttle Beijing IV, assuming you can still find either..

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 02:18 

Blade: OSP Virtuoso AC
FH: Youngshine Dingtian
BH: Victas V11 Extra
jevansau wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. One rubber I had considered was the Victas VJ>7 Limber.

The Limber is a bit too bouncy for smashing, I would rather recommend the Victas VJ>7 Regular which is also light weight but a bit harder and higher control for flat hitting and pushing

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 00:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I have been playing a long time, but I have NO IDEA what rubber is best for smashing. In fact, I am not sure if I understand what others mean by smashing. I have understood a smash is a totally flat hit on a very high ball with no topspin applied. By that definition I may get 1 or 2 balls to smash in a match and probably have many, many matches where I never smash at all. From how the chinese used to flip the paddle I assume a non-tacky rubber is best for this.

If by smash you mean "hit really hard to win the point on speed but use a closed racket and impart some top spin" I think a moderately tacky, harder sponge is best. This I can see as a strategy/playing style. I would also think the blade is very important (harder usually better).

Do I not understand correctly?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 07:30 

By smashing I meant a flat or almost so hit against backspin, as you would do with short pimples. I recognize that this is inferior to a loop.
I too have been playing a long time, and used to be a strong looper, but shoulder damage makes the forehand loop shot painful for me.

Butterfly Raystorm 2.2
Tibhar EL-S
RL Australis

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2021, 10:21 

Blade: Darker Imperial 2020
FH: Stiga Calibra LT 1.8
BH: Storkraft 1.6 Antispin
jevansau wrote:
By smashing I meant a flat or almost so hit against backspin, as you would do with short pimples. I recognize that this is inferior to a loop.
I too have been playing a long time, and used to be a strong looper, but shoulder damage makes the forehand loop shot painful for me.

I haven't found any rubber better for flat hit smashes than Calibra LT. It's quite insensitive to spin, very fast, and as an added bonus, very light. It is also medium hard, so it may be what you are looking for. It's been my rubber of choice for the past two years...

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 03:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To me a "flat hit" doesn't mean no topspin - it's a topspin drive which is hit relatively flat, compared with a loop. If you don't put any topspin on it the ball will not dip towards the table. You can hit the ball considerably faster if there's topspin on it.

If you're hitting balls against lobs, you SHOULD still try to hit above the ball and apply some topspin to it. At least that's what Danny Seemiller taught us.. "Smash"? I suppose you could use that word, but few if any books on table tennis I've come across use it - the term for the shot analogous to the "smash" in field tennis is usually called a "kill" - a hard put-away against a high ball. A fast topspin shot which isn't a loop and isn't a kill would be a "topspin drive".

Iskandar