OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 14:06 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Just wondering what general characteristics of a rubber are best for slow, spinny loops. The kind where the opponent is almost waiting for the ball to drop then it pings off their bat, over the end of the table. The type of shot where if you hit it any thinner then you would miss the ball.

In general terms is a hard or soft rubber better, tacky or non-tacky, traditional Chinese type or traditional Euro type?

Also what combination of blade and rubber would be best for this shot. I'm guessing an ALL+/Off- flexible blade or doesn't it matter as the blade isn't engaged?

Any specific recommendations?

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 23:21 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Tonight in comp I used a sheet of Haifu whale which has been on a blade for a while. At times it was good but other times I found I had to concentrate and put a lot of effort in to lift the ball. Blades similar.

Then I used someone else's bat for my next match (doubles). The blade is identical to mine but had worn LKT XT Pro on it. Didn't realise it was worn until I got into the game. The feel was nice enough, as XT Pro is, but was just lacking. Would be interested to give it a go with new rubbers.

Went back to my setup and loops were much easier, and faster.

Wouldn't mind trying a grippy tensor in say 1.9mm to see if it can generate the spin, yet still keep those slightly false shots on the table. My issue is generally going long with bad technique, not so much into the net (except with the Whale earlier tonight)

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 02:56 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Cobalt wrote:
Just wondering what general characteristics of a rubber are best for slow, spinny loops. The kind where the opponent is almost waiting for the ball to drop then it pings off their bat, over the end of the table. The type of shot where if you hit it any thinner then you would miss the ball.

In general terms is a hard or soft rubber better, tacky or non-tacky, traditional Chinese type or traditional Euro type?

Also what combination of blade and rubber would be best for this shot. I'm guessing an ALL+/Off- flexible blade or doesn't it matter as the blade isn't engaged?

Any specific recommendations?

Imo,Slow ,soft rubber on an all/ all+ flexible blade .This is what I do with Spinlord Marder at present

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 08:16 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Might even give one a go. My blade is Sonic Waldner Senso V1 which should be ok.

Which version of Marder, Ooak has versions II and IV. I'm thinking II might fit your description better.

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 09:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tha latest ITTF LARC does comprise about 350 items under Long category.
Rubber mill goes on and on. Rampant growth of the LARC LIST, huge money profit by ITTF.

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 10:42 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

In looking at some stuff on Marder, it appears to be a defensive chopping rubber?

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 11:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Slow spinny loops has always been my biggest weapon, so I've tried a ton of rubbers to find the best. Of course everyone's technique is different, so what ideal for one may not be ideal for another.
For me the best rubbers for this are those with a soft mildly tacky topsheet and hard sponge. Since you're brushing the ball very fine to get maximum spin and not too much speed, I don't think the blade matters that much, as long as it's not really fast.
I think hard sponges are best, because they take more effort to engage to get the speed, and you want most of the energy to go into spin not speed. The ones that work best for me, that are still available, in order of the spinniest:
Victas VS 401
Jooala Golden Tango
Dignics 09C

I've not tried Marder, so I can't comment on that one. There are quite a few Chinese rubbers that offer very high spin too though, like Globe 999, but this is painfully slow for putting the ball away. Many say the Hurricane 3 is very spinny, but I always felt the topsheet is too firm to get the really slow spinny loops.

Bluegrip, Hybrid K3 and Rakza Z are a few more contenders that I'd like to try.

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 17:29 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Very right! The problem with Marder( soft sponge)or Juicc 999(defense,not elite version,hard sponge) is that they are very slow so if you are not a defensive player,then,in case you want to try safe,slow spinny loops,max sponge should be the option.I think both Marder and Juicc 999 have 2.0 versions.

In my experience,Juicc 999 defense( not elite version) is superspinny ( more than Marder)and with its hard sponge the chops are loaded with heavy, heavy backspin.However,it seems soft sponges are my game......and yes,the problem with Marder and Juicc 999 is that they are way slow,which has both advantages and disadvantages .You need to choose what is best for your technique and strategy.

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 19:24 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
haggisv wrote:
Slow spinny loops has always been my biggest weapon, so I've tried a ton of rubbers to find the best. Of course everyone's technique is different, so what ideal for one may not be ideal for another.
For me the best rubbers for this are those with a soft mildly tacky topsheet and hard sponge. Since you're brushing the ball very fine to get maximum spin and not too much speed, I don't think the blade matters that much, as long as it's not really fast.
I think hard sponges are best, because they take more effort to engage to get the speed, and you want most of the energy to go into spin not speed. The ones that work best for me, that are still available, in order of the spinniest:
Victas VS 401
Jooala Golden Tango
Dignics 09C

I've not tried Marder, so I can't comment on that one. There are quite a few Chinese rubbers that offer very high spin too though, like Globe 999, but this is painfully slow for putting the ball away. Many say the Hurricane 3 is very spinny, but I always felt the topsheet is too firm to get the really slow spinny loops.

Bluegrip, Hybrid K3 and Rakza Z are a few more contenders that I'd like to try.

I'll +1 to what Alex said. Hard sponge, soft tacky topsheet = brush looping heaven.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 23:49 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Happy with some more suggestions of specific rubbers. Its easy to find what rubbers have hard sponge but not so much soft topsheet.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!