OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 22:00 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Victas VS>401 2.0 mm
BH: Tsp Curl P1-R 1.0 mm
Hey, everyone I am a defender who chops quite frequently in the forehand side. I would not classify myself as modern/classical since I vary the tactic much depending on the opponent. I'm not a Wang Xi/Chen-Weixing-like defender looping/smashing anything on my forehand, neither a purely classical defender like Matsushita or Chtchetinine. If I meet an attacker, I classify myself as a classical defender, attacking only on easy balls, otherwise with other defenders or player who don't attack I sometimes take control of the game.
I've been playing for two years with a Victas VS > 401. It is the rubber that allowed me to do the big step up.
My blade now is the famous Koji Matsushita (relatively fast defense blade).
A defender in my club who plays at a higher level suggested me to go for a less hard rubber for forehand to feel the ball better. I love my Victas Vs>401 for chopping on spinny ball and smashing, but I struggle chopping on dead balls and doing the forehand loop (my tecnique is probably not as good as hard rubbers require).
I have asked a friend to try his Tackiness Chop, but I am afraid it will be too slow, so I'm asking for your suggestions.

To sum up I would like a rubber which is similar to the Victas VS>401, but softer

Please, anyone who doesn't play defense or doesn't chop frequently with forehand do not step in the discussion.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2023, 02:37 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
In my experience 401 is an excellent rubber for looping and chopping. If you can chop against topspin but not against no spin balls then changing rubbers won’t help. You have a technique and experience problem, not a rubber problem. Rather then change rubbers try to invest in training or commit to do more drills at your local club. Specifically you should practice looping against no spin balls, after awhile you will find it easy. Many people post on ooak forum looking for short cuts through changing equipment but the real answer is better technique, proper training and increased practice.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2023, 05:58 

Rob M wrote:
In my experience 401 is an excellent rubber for looping and chopping. If you can chop against topspin but not against no spin balls then changing rubbers won’t help. You have a technique and experience problem, not a rubber problem. Rather then change rubbers try to invest in training or commit to do more drills at your local club. Specifically you should practice looping against no spin balls, after awhile you will find it easy. Many people post on ooak forum looking for short cuts through changing equipment but the real answer is better technique, proper training and increased practice.

Thanks for your reply, I am the first to think that equipment doesn't do miracles, in fact I don't like trying stuff and my setup has been the same for years, I am just curious to try something softer to see if it allows me to have a better feeling. If I have trouble chopping against dead balls is because I mostly have to generate the effect with a precise movement to send the ball forward. A medium-hardness sponge would allow those balls to penetrate more in the sponge making the rubber work more effectively

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 08:15 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
You might want to try the DHS rubber I'm using. Medium feeling, long dwell time. Fast enough to attack, controlled enough to defend.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 03:18 

Lorre wrote:
You might want to try the DHS rubber I'm using. Medium feeling, long dwell time. Fast enough to attack, controlled enough to defend.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I am unable to smash well with Chinese rubbers and when the ball is sufficiently high I always go for a smash rather than topspin

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 04:42 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
MarcAnt01 wrote:
Lorre wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion, but I am unable to smash well with Chinese rubbers and when the ball is sufficiently high I always go for a smash rather than topspin

The DHS is not a pure Chinese rubber, but a hybrid. Chinese topsheet, soft and dynamic sponge. I can smash just fine with it, but I play the Joo blade, which is more of a hard blade.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that