OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Rakza 7 dome
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2023, 12:55 

Blade: Xiom Ice Cream AZXi
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19
BH: Butterfly Teanergy 19
My friend just received his Rakza 7 and Rakza 7 Soft, but surprisingly they were both slightly domed from out of the package. It has been a few days now and the dome has increased. Is this normal?

Attachments:
File comment: After a few days
IMG_0357.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg [ 178.64 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]
File comment: Out of package
IMG_0356.jpeg
IMG_0356.jpeg [ 119.23 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rakza 7 dome
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2023, 13:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes that's normal, I see this all the time, nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2023, 19:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That's not "dome", that's "dish". Dome is what you get when you apply booster or speed glue to the sponge, it curls towards the top sheet. Old sheets often develop dish, I think it's because the sponge side shrinks. Probably exacerbated by the loss of boosting compounds from the sponge over time in the case of factory boosted sheets, er, Tensors. There was a certain Chinese sheet that was notorious for excessive dish.. I forget what it was, exactly, but it was so bad on one particular sheet I ended up with a crease in the top sheet after applying it. I ended up applying booster to the sponge to flatten it out before re-applying it.
As Haggis says, it's normally not a problem, however I can't help but think it works the opposite of boosting.. when you apply it to the blade you force it flat, so you are stretching the sponge and compressing the topsheet, which is the opposite of what you want.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2023, 20:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

In this case I'm sure it's not because the sheets are 'old', I think it's temperature related. I suspect it either happens in the factory if the topsheet and sponge were not at the same temperature when glued together, or it's simply that the sheet comes from a region where the temperature is quite different, and the different temperature expands the topsheet and sponge differently, causing a dome/dish.
I glue a lot of bats, and I see this regularly on some brand new sheet, and I'm sure the rubbers are fresh from the factory (some rubbers have a 'manufacture date' on them on.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023, 17:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I agree it's not always because the sheets are old. Do you notice that certain sheets are prone to it, or is it a random thing? I remember now - almost every sheet of Yasaka ZAP (no longer being sold) had "dish" to varying degrees - the really bad sheet had the softest of the sponges they offered at the time. If I recall correctly CJ8000 also had this problem.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023, 19:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

iskandar taib wrote:
I agree it's not always because the sheets are old. Do you notice that certain sheets are prone to it, or is it a random thing?

Yes, certain sheets are definitely prone to. I never see it in rubbers like Bluefire, Tenergy, Tibhar evolution series, but for the Rakza series it seems not uncommon. Nothing wrong with the Rakza series of rubbers though, they're very good.