OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2012, 21:40 

Hi there. I've been playing TT at my club since the 90's using a combo racket with inverted and long pips. Recently I have become interested in hardbat play and I decided to try it. By the way I'm a 1600 player. Anyway, I just purchased a racket, I got the Tibhar Stratus Power Defense blade with the Yasaka rubber. Did I choose an acceptable blade do you think? I read that I should get a defensive blade for hard rubber use so I did. But, the one I chose is Def + , I got the + because I want my harder hitting to be fast enough but without losing control. I also read that a heavy blade is a good thing but I thought that would be harder to control during over the table defensive blocking where you need a lot of touch and control. I plan on playing over the table like that, and pick hitting. I'm just starting at this so, any advice will be much appreciated. :)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 01:25 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Which Yasaka rubber? There are several Yasaka hardbat rubbers

But yes, the setup should work fine

Last edited by ilikepie on 22 Apr 2012, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 08:50 

I got Yasaka A1. Also I was a little frustrated today playing with it for the first time at our club. I played worse than I do with my combination paddle which has smooth rubber on one side and long pips on the other. With my long pips I could chop back loops easier and spinnier. And I could rip the ball better with my smooth rubber. But I'm not surprised, I know it takes time to learn something new. I just need to practice I suppose. :headbang:

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 11:22 

fullarmor2 wrote:
Hi there. I've been playing TT at my club since the 90's using a combo racket with inverted and long pips. Recently I have become interested in hardbat play and I decided to try it. By the way I'm a 1600 player. Anyway, I just purchased a racket, I got the Tibhar Stratus Power Defense blade with the Yasaka rubber. Did I choose an acceptable blade do you think? I read that I should get a defensive blade for hard rubber use so I did. But, the one I chose is Def + , I got the + because I want my harder hitting to be fast enough but without losing control. I also read that a heavy blade is a good thing but I thought that would be harder to control during over the table defensive blocking where you need a lot of touch and control. I plan on playing over the table like that, and pick hitting. I'm just starting at this so, any advice will be much appreciated. :)

Your blade is a faster defensive blade and Yasaka A-1-2 is a tic faster than Butterfly Orthodox. Usually it takes 3 weeks or so to get the feel of it. I played inverted for decades and recently switched to hardbat ( Valor American Chopper, Valor Rubber) and found it was a bit faster than my old Hock. Your blade is perfectly fine just give it some time and you will get good muscle memory for your new strokes. :)