OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Tuvalu Reviews
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012, 06:22 

OK, videos ready, tiring as you can see towards end of 2nd session! I'm the one wearing the Nexy shirt, Keith the attacker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w_ISAx7 ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LAbDMT ... e=youtu.be

gathering dust awaiting next return of banned rubbers:
Blade: DrN High Tech Plus, F/H: Gambler Outlaw 2.0, B/H DR N Monster OX
Blade: Butterfly Grubba Pro, F/H: Gambler Outlaw 2.0, B/H: Grass Spezial OX

sold:
Blade: Mephisto 7001, F/H: Yasaka Pryde 40 2.0, B/H: Grass DTECS OX
Blade: Tachi-red, F/H: Hexer+, B/H: Grass DTECS OX

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012, 07:08 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Here are my videos of the same sessions that Andrew has posted - different angles and a few extra rallies. Lesser quality camera i'm afraid, but hopefully watchable.

From a perspective of playing against the blade, being familiar with Andrew using his Tachi, it is definitely more offensively orientated. LP hits are a lot quicker with the Nexy blade, whereas they have a more 'off-speed' quality with on the Tachi. It took Andrew longer to get used to keeping the ball short with the Nexy. Reversal definitely better with the Tachi. Of course he's played with the Tachi for over a season and only 3 hours with the Nexy, so there is probably a lot more to come and he looked comfortable with it.

Finally, it looked very well made indeed.

185g

Post subject: Re: Nexy Tuvalu Reviews
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 07:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
THanks for the videos guys! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012, 06:35 

haggisv wrote:
I just got mine as well! :rock: :rock: :rock: Mine is 82g as requested.

I must admit, from bouncing the ball on the blade, I find it hard to believe that the braking effect of the Tuvalu will be better than the Tachi as it feels so much faster!

How are you finding it? How does it compare with your Tachi and Perfect?

sold:

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012, 08:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm hoping to test the blade this weekend ;)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 18:30 
Incredible Shrinking Man

I now have tried Tuvala a couple of times now with some heavy loopers
and I must admit that with D.Tecs I cant hold the ball on the table..

So, the feeling that I have when meeting lower level players is
totally gone.... It works perfect with low to mid impact...

So... I now have ordered Yasaka Phantom 0011 and going to try
this on Tuvalu next week.

Cheers
Geddk

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 20:38 
Super User

Geddk wrote:
...now with some heavy loopers
and I must admit that .... I cant hold the ball on the table..

..... It works perfect with low to mid impact...

That is exactly the same experience that I made.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 21:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

My apologies for taking so long to post my review. :(

Physical inspection:
It's one beautiful blade, although this did not surprise me as the other Nexy blades I've seen are top notch too.
The finish on the blade face and edges is very fine, and the plies looked of consistent and even thickness.In the hand it felt comfortable and light... it was 82g.
Two minor negatives, which would not be hard to fix:
1. Because the finish was so fine, it actually made the edge feel sharp, which bothered me a little at one point against my finger. Although many blades have this, I personally tend to appreciate if manufacturer smooth out the edge near the neck of the blade. Nothing I can't do myself, so not a big deal.
2. As others have mentioned as well, the logo on the back is an issue, since I was also testing with a red OX rubber, and the logo would clearly shine though making it illegal. Thanks to theoldduffer I also used some acetone to remove it :up:

I put a sheet of Tibhar Dtecs on the backhand, as this is my usual rubber so it's good for comparison. On the forehand I tried a few rubbers, but the best was Armstrong Hikari SR7 Chop 1.0mm :o I'll get into later why this worked so well.

Forehand: Quite fast and seems to work well with a variety of rubbers. The dwell time is not that high, so a high spin rubber works best if you want to power-loop. The blade has a nice solid feel when you hit the ball, and it offer good feel. Although looping was good, it wasn't until I put the Armstrong rubber on there when I realised this blade is great for hitting. First I tried to hit hard with it, and I wasn't too impressed, but when I hit at medium pace my accuracy was fantastic and the blade produced plenty of pace.
Although using a 1mm rubber really limits from looping, using any soft/medium sponged tensor should work great for hitting too, and gives a lot more potential for looping.

Backhand: This was definitely a little faster than what I'm used, which has pros and cons. For aggressive pushing the blade worked fantastic. The harder pushes produced more reversal and the control was still quite good. When there's little or no spin on the ball you can still do an aggressive push with a downwards or swiping action... very effective.

Blocking was very effective too, although against fast loops I struggled a little to keep it on the table as the blade is more bouncy than the Tachi+, and although the braking effect of the Tuvalu was evident, it does not feel as strong as the Re-Impact blades. For slow to medium pace blocks, it produced a low ball with good reversal.... very effective!
Could I get used to it... yes I probably could. The aggressive pushing felt more effective than with the re-impact, which could force weaker loops from the opponents, which are easier to control. I think I'd need to be sharper and more on my game, which would allow me to take advantage of the more offensive power of this blade.

Chopping worked fine too...brushing the ball produced very good reversal and the higher speed of the blade required less effort to get it back onto the table. With sponge I suspect the higher speed will be even more handy.
Even away from the table, the forehand was powerful enough to produce fast loops or hit, which is where most balsa blades struggle.

In conclusion, the Tuvalu is a beautifully made blade, and is very suitable for the style that it's designed for. I would recommend a spinny tensor (with 2.0mm or less sponge) for the forehand, and a slow OX long pimple for a close-in game, or a sponged long pimple for the backhand.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 21:44 
Incredible Shrinking Man

+1 :up:
I will second Alex review..

Cheers
Geddk

haggisv wrote:
My apologies for taking so long to post my review. :(

Physical inspection:
It's one beautiful blade, although this did not surprise me as the other Nexy blades I've seen are top notch too.
The finish on the blade face and edges is very fine, and the plies looked of consistent and even thickness.In the hand it felt comfortable and light... it was 82g.
Two minor negatives, which would not be hard to fix:
1. Because the finish was so fine, it actually made the edge feel sharp, which bothered me a little at one point against my finger. Although many blades have this, I personally tend to appreciate if manufacturer smooth out the edge near the neck of the blade. Nothing I can't do myself, so not a big deal.
2. As others have mentioned as well, the logo on the back is an issue, since I was also testing with a red OX rubber, and the logo would clearly shine though making it illegal. Thanks to theoldduffer I also used some acetone to remove it :up:

I put a sheet of Tibhar Dtecs on the backhand, as this is my usual rubber so it's good for comparison. On the forehand I tried a few rubbers, but the best was Armstrong Hikari SR7 Chop 1.0mm :o I'll get into later why this worked so well.

Forehand: Quite fast and seems to work well with a variety of rubbers. The dwell time is not that high, so a high spin rubber works best if you want to power-loop. The blade has a nice solid feel when you hit the ball, and it offer good feel. Although looping was good, it wasn't until I put the Armstrong rubber on there when I realised this blade is great for hitting. First I tried to hit hard with it, and I wasn't too impressed, but when I hit at medium pace my accuracy was fantastic and the blade produced plenty of pace.
Although using a 1mm rubber really limits from looping, using any soft/medium sponged tensor should work great for hitting too, and gives a lot more potential for looping.

Backhand: This was definitely a little faster than what I'm used, which has pros and cons. For aggressive pushing the blade worked fantastic. The harder pushes produced more reversal and the control was still quite good. When there's little or no spin on the ball you can still do an aggressive push with a downwards or swiping action... very effective.

Blocking was very effective too, although against fast loops I struggled a little to keep it on the table as the blade is more bouncy than the Tachi+, and although the braking effect of the Tuvalu was evident, it does not feel as strong as the Re-Impact blades. For slow to medium pace blocks, it produced a low ball with good reversal.... very effective!
Could I get used to it... yes I probably could. The aggressive pushing felt more effective than with the re-impact, which could force weaker loops from the opponents, which are easier to control. I think I'd need to be sharper and more on my game, which would allow me to take advantage of the more offensive power of this blade.

Chopping worked fine too...brushing the ball produced very good reversal and the higher speed of the blade required less effort to get it back onto the table. With sponge I suspect the higher speed will be even more handy.
Even away from the table, the forehand was powerful enough to produce fast loops or hit, which is where most balsa blades struggle.

In conclusion, the Tuvalu is a beautifully made blade, and is very suitable for the style that it's designed for. I would recommend a spinny tensor (with 2.0mm or less sponge) for the forehand, and a slow OX long pimple for a close-in game, or a sponged long pimple for the backhand.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 23:08 

Having played a few more times with it, I'm keeping options open between this and my Tachi.

I feel it will be better against players that I play regularly, where they know my tricks with Dtecs/Tachi and this will allow me to counter hit on b/h and play more attacking as easier to flick with. It may also be of benefit against some other pip players that I strugle against. I either beat fellow pip players easily, or stugle against some where we play pip to pip and they can hit flat against it when ball pops up. I'm more of a looper.

On the other hand, against players I don't play regularly, I feel the Tachi will allow heavier chop, variation and bite, and more control on blocks against heavier topspin.

An interesting alternative though and I need to actually play some league games as the true test.
Will have to decide if I'm brave enough when first one comes mid September or play what I know and have been pretty successful with.

sold:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2012, 06:50 

Just posted my short review on Tuvalu at MyTT (to be followed by my clubmate's impressions)

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54677

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 09:52 
Super User

can someone compare the Tuvalu to the Labyrinthos?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!