OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2011, 04:39 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Welcome to the forum, piyu! :party:
I have 3 names on my list of greatest players and I won't and I cannot rank them: Waldner, GYH, and WLQ. They are the greatest IMO, although some of you might have known who my favourite player of the 3 is. (Hint: I play PH, :) )
They are so many players I want to win in this coming WTTC:
WLQ- just because if he wins, we don't have to debate anymore who is the greatest of them all.
Ma Lin- my fav. at the present time; if he wins, I can add his name to the other 3 names on my list of greatest.
Timo- Persson won 20 years ago and Bengtsson won 40 years ago. It would be so great if we get a World Champ. from Europe in 2011. We are overdue for a champ. from Europe and we are overdue for a lefty champ (last ones from France and Japan).
So sorry for going off topic :$ but I just cannot hide my excitement for the upcoming WTTC :clap: .

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 01:50 

Greetings to my fellow table tennis enthusiasts,
having made the case on the cons-aspect of Waldner, let me made a "pros" or positive aspects of Waldner. The fact that he could be ranked in the top 25 right up to the ripe old age of mid-30's to 40 is testimony to the evergreen qualities, experience, guile, tactical wileness and brilliant anticipation of Waldner when fading speed and declining fitness as part of the natural process of ageing took its natural toll and course. The best of Waldner was seen from 1990 to 1993 in my opinion (strange that almost every single world class table tennis player could only sustain brilliance for a period of about three to eight years or so with the exception of Victor Barna). Few people take much notice of his defensive skills due to a sharp tactical sense, anticipation and counter-attacking blocking game preferring to focus on his variations of stroke and service. He is a stylish player with a wide repertoire of strokes at his disposal and a wonder and wonderful to watch when in his element and in full flow and form. Without a single doubt, he is my favourite tt player to watch and enjoy! He will be remembered not so much for his early 90's brilliance but his last part or later part career when he almost landed another grandslam title in the Olympics - tt is such a demanding game on reflexes and speed cum agility that it is kudos to the depth of experience and tactical acumen/wile of Waldner to overcome the ravages of age to beat world class players enroute to almost landing the big ones. in his late 30's.

If there is any one singular aspect of Waldner's game besides so many other aspects so highly admired, it is Waldner's popularization and refinement of the unique and innovative service stroke which Timo Boll and many world class players use frequently to great effect. Another aspect which I enjoy is his ability of countering and returning topspin with side spin bamboozling the opponent. His reading of the game is non-pareil and second to none. He may not have the most powerful and speediest strokes but certainly the best of tt brains. Some of the battles of Waldner have entered folklore - there are too many to mention. Without a shadow of doubt, he is a living legend of tt. Funny, that all these legends of TT have become so fat - few escape the beer belly phenomenon post-retirement.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 02:14 

Greetings ShaolinTT,

it would be great to get a world champion from Europe or at least outside China as this Chinese TT dynasty is not so good for the popularization of the game. For me, it would be good to see Timo or a new name winning the WC. Not begrudging Samsonov, it would not be so good for TT if he wins - it would mean that the standard of tt has seemingly stagnated or frozen in time. Probably now, the longest playing veteran besides Persson, his anticipation and defence is iconic and for the ages but honestly, it would be great to see a new face as World Champ to reinvigorate the table tennis universe.