OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 16:02 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://olympics.time.com/2012/08/15/bri ... tug-of-war

This is a rec-room sport, with a tiny plastic ball. Sure, these guys have quick reflexes. But so do magicians. The table tennis players don’t have to run, jump, or be particularly strong. They don’t have to move around all that much. They just don’t pass the Olympics smell test.

This is one of the most influential magazines, not that any magazines are influential anymore.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 17:24 
Super User

Its kind of like saying, whats the point of having Time Magazine when there are loads of other magazines on the market?
These guys know nothing about this sport.... they should keep their rude comments to themselves.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 17:37 
Stir Crazy

If this is an example of someone's sense of humour, then it's a fail as far as I'm concerned. :n:

Drop TT, but add Tug of War? Drop Football, add 10 pin bowling? Drop Race walking, add Horse vaulting? Why is Time wasting our time? Why is this here wasting our time? :headbang:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 18:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes it's all pretty rediculous. There are a few sports that I don't think should really be in the olympics either, so I guess we all have our views of what belong and what doesn't it.

I always think of the Olympics sports to include sports that require some sort of athletic ability... some of the ones included don't seem to need that... 'dressage' is one of those for example, although there could perhaps be a lot more to it than I think... just like there is a lot more to table tennis than this guy thinks...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 18:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
What an ignoramus of a writer! He can see taekwando is ok, but not TT? Martial arts and TT have a lot in common in the reflexes and movements. Sure TT doesn't kick or hurt anyone or need a lot of padding to stop being hurt, but even forgetting the "plastic ball" (another furphy...for now), the movement is as skillful as a martial art, gymnastics, and any other sport...just less distance is travelled than most. POOR FORM TIME!!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 18:32 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I'll tell him the same thing I tell everyone that thinks table tennis isn't hardcore. Come and do a few hours multiball and see how long you can stand up without painting the floor with carrots and peas :up:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 19:06 
Super User

Now how many sports in the Olympics is based on Arts?
The judges give a score and the winner gets the highest score.
Ie, diving and how many medals is there?

To me that is not a sport but art

I would like to invite the editor of Time Magazine to a free training session with me.
I will be equipwith 288 balls, and do multiball drills for 2 hours.
I will see if he passes the smell test afterwards

Okay, 2 hours is a bit much.
30 min should kill him lol

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 09:03 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Tassie52 wrote:
Why is this here wasting our time?

If you're questioning why I posted it, it's because I think OOAK members have an interest in what is being said in the media about our sport, whether it's good, bad, right or wrong. Anyone who wants me to stop posting articles please let me know. I won't waste MY time if people don't appreciate it.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 09:24 
Stir Crazy

ZApenholder wrote:

To me that is not a sport but art.
But this is the same blinkered perspective as the piece in Time.

When was the last time you did a handstand ten metres above a pool and then performed a triple somersault into the water? Art or sport?

It's important that we don't become the very thing we're complaining about.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 09:39 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
If my main argument for keeping table tennis as an olympic sport was because there were "worse" sports out there than table tennis I'd be worried. Turn the question around - why does table tennis deserve to be an olympic sport, not just from a playing point of view but from a spectator one too, because sport being in the olympics isn't soley about the merits of the sport itself from a competitors point of view.

In short, what positive reasons/arguments can be given for table tennis being an olympic sport ie what's good and strong about table tennis, not what's weak or poor about other sports?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 10:15 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
Table tennis just lack commercial and publicity..just like badminton, this sports are dominated by the asians..unlike tennis, which is dominated by the westeners..so there should be more europeans and american superstar being created as these are high income continents and people with more passion in sports..then there will come more sponsorship, high prize money and more people attract with this sports..with high demand, there is no reason why it shouldn't appear in olympics.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 13:14 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
The author should have tried playing or seeing how the athletes train before making a conclusion. What a dumb writer.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 17:04 
Super User

Tassie52 wrote:
ZApenholder wrote:

To me that is not a sport but art.
But this is the same blinkered perspective as the piece in Time.

When was the last time you did a handstand ten metres above a pool and then performed a triple somersault into the water? Art or sport?

It's important that we don't become the very thing we're complaining about.

I used Art is because I saw a very valid argument in another forum.

Sport is atheletes competing against each other.
Art is doing something very beautiful and getting awarded with points, base on certain judges view on points.
So the winner is controled by judges as much as the actual athlete.

Sport is between 2 or more athelete competing together where the winner will be the clear leader.

Now if Table Tennis is not considered a sport, then Art type of sport shouldn't be then.
That is the argument I read, and the same I want to raise

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 18:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ZApenholder wrote:
I used Art is because I saw a very valid argument in another forum.

Sport is atheletes competing against each other.
Art is doing something very beautiful and getting awarded with points, base on certain judges view on points.
So the winner is controled by judges as much as the actual athlete.

Sport is between 2 or more athelete competing together where the winner will be the clear leader.

Now if Table Tennis is not considered a sport, then Art type of sport shouldn't be then.
That is the argument I read, and the same I want to raise

I think that's a valid point. It all comes down to our perception of what should be in the olympics. Of course we don't make that decision.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 23:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Debater wrote:
In short, what positive reasons/arguments can be given for table tennis being an olympic sport ie what's good and strong about table tennis, not what's weak or poor about other sports?

I think thats a good angle to come from. TT is a direct competitor sport where one opponent is directly trying to outplay the other in a fast action environment which requires a physically demanding dynamic body motion from the players which results in some exciting results to view. I think this is the essence of defining a good sport and not all the Olympic sports would have it in as great a volume as TT, even when many TT rallies last only 2 or 3 shots.

I also like ZA-ph's description of art versus sport. TT can be artful too, but in the end it is the players who decide the result, not a judge.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!