OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 10 Jul 2020, 15:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 14:27 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: Grubba ALL+
FH: Marder 1mm
BH: Dornenglanz ox
http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/su ... -spectacle

All players will be given the same playing equipment- a hard-bat with a 'sandpaper' surface, akin to those used decades ago in the sports' heyday in the 1970's and 1980's.

In the modern game, sponge-covered bats covered in small pimples are mainly used, which increases the influence of spin, meaning rallies tend to be shorter than they were previously.

I can't even remember the good old days in the seventies and eighties when everyone used sandpaper. Today everyone uses short pips to increase spin. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Homer J. Simpson

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 17:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well.......I don't get a good feel about this one......double point ball and all.......

I had better get out my super spinny pips to improve my serve at my own club.... :lol:

Blade: KTL Instinct+

Rubbers: BH Friendship 802-1 Short Pips 1.0mm
FH Gambler Reflectoid 1.5mm inverted

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 18:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It does make you wonder if these guys actually know what type of bats people were using in the sand-paper days, or if they simply buy a k-mart special, stick on the sandpaper and claim that's what they used in the old days. :o :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 08:37 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Maybe the promoters don't know too much, but there are some great players in there. Two in the last 64 come from our area in England, one of whom has made the final 16. Needless to say, I have never done well against him, when he's using sponge as is his usual setup.

The other went out in last 64 and plays hardbat permanently these days, tho is great with sponge too. He recently took me apart. he attacks me better with hardbat rubber than sponge.

These two guys are so talented and natural whatever they play with.

Sadly I don't think this tournament is translating as well to TV as I'd like.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 09:16 

Believe me the organisers or promoters do know a lot about the complete hard bat and sandpaper scene and although not an avid hard bat fan I must say I enjoyed the event completely.

I do think its been a success but sadly have not heard a sound or tweet from ETTA

As some will know I am from TTT and we have followed, promoted and created video promo for the event and all of this takes time so the fact ETTA has not bothered there arses annoys me slightly but there we go ......

Rant over

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 09:45 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Apologies TTT if I gave the wrong idea, I know the organisers know loads about the hardbat scene. And are massively passionate about it, rightly so. My comment was only in relation to the quote around most using sponged pimpled rubber these days, which does sound a bit off to those of us who know a little.

I guess my comment about how this translates on TV is based on how a few of my friends have reacted to having seen it. As you will tell from my earlier views, I do understand the great level of skill required to play this kind of game, though sadly lacking it myself. I'm just not sure the skill or athleticism on display comes over that well to those outside the sport and the references to the different equipment doesn't really register with my mates...but I hope I am wrong.

I loved watching Baggaley's transition to sandpaper earlier. And I will watch with great interest Tony West tomorrow.

I am surprised you've had no ETTA coverage. Sad news indeed. We need great publicity for any variety of our sport, as our numbers dwindle in the UK. If you don't get their backing for a Sky TV event, it does make you wonder what you have to do.

Keep up the good work and, as I said, my apologies if you took any of my earlier post the wrong way. It was not ill-intended.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 11:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

I think this is massively better than the first World Championship of Ping-Pong in Las Vegas. The paddles are more appropriate, the two-point ball adds a little intrigue, and there are lots of interesting players competing.

By the way, anyone know what blade they're using?

I watched about half the early session and all of the late session and thoroughly enjoyed the diversity of styles. Overall, I felt this was a lot more entertaining than the endless diet of looper-clones the ITTF force-feeds us. Matchroom is known for innovative sports entertainment and I've seen a number of their "Prizefighter" tournaments. Hopefully this will have similar success. Also kudos to Sky Sports for devoting something like 15 hours to two days of near continuous table tennis programming.

We had a similar lack of support in the USA a few years ago when the USATT refused to get involved with a $100,000 hardbat tournament sponsored by Bud Light. Rather than doing all they can to help table tennis grow, these national associations, as well as the ITTF, seem to treat independent events as competition they want to squelch in order to maintain their stranglehold on our sport.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's matches. I'd like to see Gonzales against Adomelyte in the final.

There was another good article on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/table-tennis/20802293

Promoter Barry Hearn is quoted as saying sandpaper "...could be a real challenge to the modern game. I don't think the two skills interact too well. I think the modern game is not delivering an audience, it's not delivering the TV hours and it's clearly not making table tennis players the superstars of tomorrow. I think we've got more of a chance than they have. Inevitably you make mistakes, you always do. But I think we'll produce the finest ping pong championships there's ever been."

I wish him all the best with this endeavor, even if his knowledge of table tennis history is totally wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Homer J. Simpson

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 02:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.7boosted
BH: 388d ox
As a one off I`ve enjoyed watching this and it gets more interesting as it moves to the business end,I would like to try it if the chance arises,wonder what grit are they using?lol

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 07:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

dazzler wrote:
wonder what grit are they using?lol

They had Adoni on talking about that yesterday. He said in the U.S. and Philippines they use 120 or 180 grit, but at this event they were using 240 grit, "which are more conducive to the English," whatever that means.

| My OOAK Interview

Homer J. Simpson

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 10:14 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Two Filipinos have entered the top 8. Richard Gonzales is also among the top 3 in the Philippines and uses LP.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 10:32 
Horse Hockey!

Red_lion wrote:
Two Filipinos have entered the top 8. Richard Gonzales is also among the top 3 in the Philippines and uses LP.
The other is former Philippines TT champion Joseph Cruz who has spent considerable time at our club in Charlotte, NC. I was fortunate to have a training session with him last year!

Unfortunately, the tournament is over and did not end favorably for Joseph or Richard...

Quote:
Maxim Shmyrev retained his World Championship of Ping Pong title following a thrilling final victory over Sule Olaleye at Alexandra Palace.

The Russian romped into Sunday night's final without dropping a game before surviving a real scare against Nigeria's world No.6 Olaleye.

Shmyrev eventually came through 11-5 13-15 11-9 9-11 11-8 to retain the title he won in Las Vegas in 2011 and claim the £12,000 first prize.

Speaking afterwards, an emotional Shmyrev told Sky Sports: "It's a great feeling. Thanks to everyone. I devote this victory to a very good friend of mine who died in my arms five days ago."

Olaleye defeated Britain's Chris Doran in the semi-finals to book a final showdown with Shmyrev, who overcame American Ilija Lupulesku in the last four.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 16:11 

Well it's caused a lot of reaction on TTT and been very successful too with one amazing final between Shmyrev V Sulle

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357540805.259324.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357540805.259324.jpg [ 61.06 KiB | Viewed 1326 times ]

The winner ......

Andrew Baggaley the Brit number 2 played well also

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357540863.421734.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357540863.421734.jpg [ 52.44 KiB | Viewed 1326 times ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 02:36 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Baggaley adapted to this brilliantly for a conventional player. Really enjoyed watching him.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 03:57 
Super User

dingwol2 wrote:
I am surprised you've had no ETTA coverage. Sad news indeed. We need great publicity for any variety of our sport, as our numbers dwindle in the UK. If you don't get their backing for a Sky TV event, it does make you wonder what you have to do...

I am not surprised the ETTA turns a blind eye to the PP champs (just look at their news page on the ETTA website - zilch), any event like this is competition to their lofty position in England. If we turn the clock back a few years the ETTA were very strict as to how leagues would play their matches ie ETTA rules only! (11pts etc), and could only hold secondary comp's to the main league format. That grip is now even tighter with all league players having to be individually registered, annually.

The hardbat tourney, if it took off could see to major switch of players to what is effectively a non ETTA/ITTF controlled event - I see a new organisation/federation forming :o

BTW, Well done to Wayne and Tony for getting so far...

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 16:36 

Very nice pdf either results and pictures

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357715138.766155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357715138.766155.jpg [ 108.12 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357715155.044467.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357715155.044467.jpg [ 104.24 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357715169.061426.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357715169.061426.jpg [ 123.96 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]

http://www.tabletennistalk.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?p=59732