OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2014, 15:57 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
USA Team Handball Names Mike Cavanaugh Chief Executive Officer

Former CEO of USA Table Tennis, well respected USOC executive to lead sport’s continued re-organization and establishment on the global stage.

Colorado Springs, Co. March, 24, 2014 -- USA Team Handball today announced the appointment of Mike Cavanaugh as their Chief Executive Officer. Cavanaugh, who has served in senior leadership for the sport before, comes to the position after serving as CEO of USA Table Tennis since 2008. He replaces Matt Van Houten, who left the position last month.

“We are very pleased that a consummate professional and industry insider like Mike has chosen to come back to a sport he knows so well to help us lead a new aggressive direction for the sport in this country,” said Dr. Harvey W. Schiller USATH President and Chairman. “Mike’s work in international sport, as well as his understanding of the opportunities and challenges we face in the short term will make this transition seamless and very effective for a game which is rising in popularity and is poised to make a substantial jump as we head toward a wider global stage in the coming years.”

“It is both humbling and exciting to be returning to a position of leadership within USA Team Handball,” said Cavanaugh. “While there are many challenges to be faced short and long term, it is past time for our sport to be again recognized and well respected within the realms of the U.S. Olympic Committee, the Pan American Team Handball Federation, and the International Handball Federation. The pieces of the puzzle start with our volunteer leadership, and in Dr. Schiller and our Board of Directors, I believe we have the right people at the right time to lead us to the levels we all want to see for USA Team Handball.”

Cavanaugh joined USA Table Tennis from the United States Olympic Committee where he oversaw the sport of Team Handball as the USOC Manager of High Performance from 2006-2007 as that sport went through the process of selecting a new National Governing Body. He has extensive experience with the sport after serving two stints as Executive Director of USA Team Handball from 1986-1997 and again from 1999-2005. During this time he also served on the USOC Games Prep Committee from 1989-1992 and the USOC Committee on Sports for the Disabled from 1993-1996 and then as Chairman in both 1997 and 2000.

Cavanaugh got his administrative start in the Olympic Movement as the Sport Manager and Competition Director for Team Handball for the Los Angeles Organizing Committee for the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles , Calif.

Born in Ft. Dodge , Iowa, Cavanaugh graduated from De La Salle Institute in Chicago , Ill. before serving two years of active duty in the United States Army (1970-1972). After leaving the Army, Cavanaugh went on to receive both his Bachelor's (1974) and a Master's (1976) degrees in Kinesiology from UCLA. While attending UCLA, Cavanaugh was also a member of the USA Team Handball National Team from 1973-1976. Following his competitive career, he served as USA Team Handball National Team Coach from 1978-1980. Cavanaugh currently serves as a volunteer coach for the United States Air Force Academy Team Handball Team in Colorado Springs and has done so for a number of years.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2014, 16:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Is that good or bad for table tennis?

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2014, 18:13 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I think it's good. USATT needs a CEO who is knowledgeable about the sport. Cavanaugh wasn't.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 11:29 

mynamenotbob wrote:
I think it's good. USATT needs a CEO who is knowledgeable about the sport. Cavanaugh wasn't.

Agreed. USATT seems to be on a way track to sameness. Doesn't grow, doesn't advance, just lingers. It all starts at the top!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 12:38 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Table tennis CEO coaches "Handball" for the last several years.
Think that shows his real interest. :n:

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 14:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Maybe USATT could now get a CEO who can lead it in the right direction?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 17:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Oh, I don't know. This is reminiscent of when Tim Boggan started his campaign to get elected USTTA (back then) president - he launched vehement attacks in print against the president at the time - he'd always be pointing out (three or four times in every article) that the guy was only rated 1200. The implication was that you had to be rated above a certain amount to be qualified to lead the organization. Left a bad taste in my mouth when I read that. There was some history, too - Tim had been a long-time editor of Table Tennis Topics, and got removed a year or two before. This new guy took charge and changed the name of the magazine to "Spin", so I imagine he was upset about that. Tim did get elected, only lasted a year. When he got voted out the next year he cut off his long hair and vowed to quit the game, taking his sons with him.

So what if this guy played Handball. Maybe he was good for USATT, maybe he wasn't, but the fact that he was a handball coach shouldn't be relevant.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 23:50 

I think it is relevant.
Why didn't he coach table tennis?
If you have a job at that level, it should be the main interest in your life.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 00:24 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
EDIT, disregard...I didn't read the orignal story.

Sounds like Handball was his original interest. Why would the USATT bring a person in who wasn't interested in TT?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 00:32 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Japsican wrote:
EDIT, disregard...I didn't read the orignal story.

Sounds like Handball was his original interest. Why would the USATT bring a person in who wasn't interested in TT?

Ah, I see why. He was a fill-in.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis ... ve-Officer

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 02:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

hookshot wrote:
I think it is relevant.

How do you know he doesn't play table tennis? If the guy is a good and able administrator, and a good listener, why wouldn't he do a good job?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 02:22 

Must be why TT made such big strides in the U.S.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 14:05 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
hookshot wrote:
Must be why TT made such big strides in the U.S.

Hookshot did NOT forget his teaspoon of sarcastic in hiz coffee this morning.

GOOD.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 10:06 

hookshot wrote:
I think it is relevant.

Precisely. This may sound a little off the wall, but what About Arnold Schwarzenegger? He could draw tons of mainstream attention to the sport (already has sports tie ins like Arnold Classic (name?). He wouldn't have to be doing the day to day stuff, he could hand that over to someone else. But he would get more press in one day for the sport than all other USATT Presidents put together.