OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2019, 02:15 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Latest Japan Tournament has Jun Mizutani wearing glasses / corrective spectacles / prescription lenses.

Looks like a very serious problem! He said he won the last All-Japan tournament with ONLY 30% guaranteed eyesight-ball contact !!! Rest was all predictive touch play ! :@ :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

https://www.butterfly.co.jp/takurepo/in ... 12391.html

https://www.butterfly.co.jp/takurepo/in ... 12382.html

What is exactly the problem going on here ? I can't read Japanese and definitely facing problem with the Youtube translations :-P

Can someone take a look at this ? How serious is eyesight problem for Jun?

What do people think does TT help Eyesight problem ? Or is it TKO for TT if you can't see clearly or have eye problems ? How do you manage ?

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2019, 15:55 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
What do people think does TT help Eyesight problem ? Or is it TKO for TT if you can't see clearly or have eye problems ? How do you manage ?[/quote]

It is very difficult you must get very good treatment. :*: I have had poor treatment initially during & after cataract surgery, I've now had 11injections in my right eye over the last year to stabilise my right eye & with the help of glasses which I had only used for reading now for TT it has been a harrowing journey. :@ :punch: :swear: But determination & the love of the game you just need to find a way to play the best you can :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2019, 20:40 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Gollum wrote:
What do people think does TT help Eyesight problem ? Or is it TKO for TT if you can't see clearly or have eye problems ? How do you manage ?

It is very difficult you must get very good treatment. :*: I have had poor treatment initially during & after cataract surgery, I've now had 11injections in my right eye over the last year to stabilise my right eye & with the help of glasses which I had only used for reading now for TT it has been a harrowing journey. :@ :punch: :swear: But determination & the love of the game you just need to find a way to play the best you can :up:[/quote]

Oh good Lord Gawd! That sounds awful! :sweat:

I hope Jun Mizutani can fully recover or find the solution!

Im not getting any younger and hope to avoid Eyesight problems !

I wonder what you did and are planning to do to help with your situation @Gollum ?

Is there a permanent solution for the condition you are suffering ? Is it only post-cataract surgery ? Or do you have any eye-pressure release like a Trab or something due to Glaucoma?

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 00:23 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
At the hospital I work at, which is Physical Medicine and Rehab (aka sports medicine and physiatry) for our brain injured patients we have a neuro-optometrist. This is different than a regular optometrist, as they look beyond just the eye for the things that may be causing problems that aren't related to eye anatomy, like object tracking, neglect, muscular, cognitive, brain disorders, etc. The degeneration of your receptors and lens are only part of the story.

For us, our neuro-optometrist consults for stroke and brain injured patients, but she has a private practice where she serves pro athletes.

She assigns many of them home therapy exercises to increase eye functionality to exercise those slowed synapses, tired muscles, atrophied innervation, and cognitive slowness. (And yes, we all lose cognition with regard to aging and eyesight).

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 03:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you have to play with glasses, then play with glasses. I do. One thing you notice when you get past 40 is that your eyes have trouble adjusting to distance, which is why people use bifocals and reading glasses - I'm actually lucky because one eye is short sighted and one almost normal - to read I just take off my glasses so I've avoided bifocals. I suspect bifocals don't work very well in sports... if you have to wear glasses your normal prescription would work best.

One thing I find highly annoying is that modern frame styles are all these tiny, narrow things. Look like slits. I have a pair of titanium frames that I got maybe 15 years ago (and they were out of fashion already when I got them). The other highly annoying thing is that current frames all have designer name tags - "Louis Vuitton", "Gucci", etc. and prices are maybe 5X what they were 10-15 years ago. Ridiculous. I've actually found frames on AliExpress - the first pair I bought were good, the measurements were what they said they were. The second pair? It was narrower by 10mm than what was stated!!!! Grrrr….. If you have a prescription you can actually order complete eyeglasses on AliExpress, but I haven't screwed up the courage to try it yet.

By the way.. if you ever visit Chiang Mai, I took a couple of pairs up there the last time to see if I could get them repaired (the steel frames had broken and needed welding, and all the local shops said they couldn't do it and were trying to get me to buy their $400 frames). Yup.. the first shop I tried near my hotel did it in a day (!) for 500 baht a set, and they put new lenses in one of them for 2000 baht! (3000 baht is about $95..) AND they did an eye exam to figure out the new lenses... I'll probably get new lenses in the current pair next time I go up.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 21:32 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I normally wear vari-focals, but find them not good for table tennis.
I have astigmatism, and thus although I can play without glasses, unless I squint and strain my eyes I tend to see two balls, one above the other with slight superimposition. I also see two far ends of the table, and just have to guess which is the real one.
I normally play with some glasses made for snooker players (if you remember Dennis Taylor, he wore an extreme version during his world champion days) which have large lenses with thin frames. They are made to suit my distance vision, anything from a few feet, and work well. The best is contact lenses made to the same prescription.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 23:33 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
man_iii wrote:
Gollum wrote:

It is very difficult you must get very good treatment. :*: I have had poor treatment initially during & after cataract surgery, I've now had 11injections in my right eye over the last year to stabilise my right eye & with the help of glasses which I had only used for reading now for TT it has been a harrowing journey. :@ :punch: :swear: But determination & the love of the game you just need to find a way to play the best you can :up:

Oh good Lord Gawd! That sounds awful! :sweat:

I hope Jun Mizutani can fully recover or find the solution!

Im not getting any younger and hope to avoid Eyesight problems !

I wonder what you did and are planning to do to help with your situation @Gollum ?

Is there a permanent solution for the condition you are suffering ? Is it only post-cataract surgery ? Or do you have any eye-pressure release like a Trab or something due to Glaucoma?[/quote]

My treatment is ongoing poor cataract removal & lens replacement caused a bleed behind the eye which wasn't diagnosed or treated :@ :punch: :swear: until I found an fantastic ophthalmologist :*: who has sorted out my treatment. Now wearing & adjusting to multifocal glasses while playing TT has been an interesting journey but I'm getting there :clap:

See the ball, be the ball...