OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 May 2020, 09:42 

http://www.mhtabletennis.com/2017/09/is ... sport.html

I found this article interesting, its from 2017. I would tend to agree having watched lots of pro tabletennis over the last year or so.

Of course it doesnt apply at my social competitive level. In fact one of the things I love about attending regional tournaments and club nights is coming up against all the different weird and wonderful styles. I'd love to play aginst long pips players more often, we have hardly any at all in my area. Was interesting to read some of the comments about people wanting "junk' rubbers banned!!

What does everyone think?

PostPosted: 14 May 2020, 19:34 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
1shot wrote:
http://www.mhtabletennis.com/2017/09/is-conformity-of-styles-hurting-sport.html

I found this article interesting, its from 2017. I would tend to agree having watched lots of pro tabletennis over the last year or so.

Of course it doesnt apply at my social competitive level. In fact one of the things I love about attending regional tournaments and club nights is coming up against all the different weird and wonderful styles. I'd love to play aginst long pips players more often, we have hardly any at all in my area. Was interesting to read some of the comments about people wanting "junk' rubbers banned!!

What does everyone think?

It certainly has lost its diversity. But like everything in the world: once the pendulum is too far in one direction, it will unevitably change course and will be going in the opposite direction.

I think TT can only be succesful if it differentiates itself from his brothers, especially tennis: more emphasis on spin and a lot of different styles of playing. Until then it always will be regarded as the little brother of tennis. Taking that course requires leadership and like the current COVID-19 crisis shows, a lot of people pretend they are leaders, but few actually are.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 04:21 

Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
The site and the YouTube channel that goes with it has plenty of useful information.

Personally I do agree about most parts of the above.
Mostly I would love to see more 'modern defenders' at the top and a lot more different types of material. I like watching the pro women matches a whole lot more that those of the pro men. But that's also because there is less physical power involved... if only we would get a ball with less speed but more spin.

(We can skip the complaints about "junk rubbers", those comments come from "junk" players. )

PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 06:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Junk Players overwhelming the sport of table tennis. Unhealthy pothology and degradation of the sport.
Quote:
USA player 26 September 2017 at 05:53
Just go and ban long pips and anti-spin rubbers and maybe more people will be interested in playing. After all the hours of training, you get defeated badly in the tournaments by junk players. The purpose of junk rubbers is to make you miss, not necessary win by skill. Many quit table tennis, How is that good for the sport ?
Yes, I do getting prone towards this sound idea, seeing the DESTRUCTIVE GAME is constantly increasing in popularity all over the world, except for Japan Islands.
Some very suggestive numbers gathered from ITTF LARCs, that is:

■ LARC 2003 edition
Long Pips items approved = 63
■ LARC 2020 edition
Long Pips approved = 170

Yes, some nations did eventually felt the disruptive materials to be detrimental for the youth. Canadian TTA came to forbiding their domestic kids under 12 from using the junk rubbers, other than normal inverted ones. Good to hear, indeed.
Attachment:
canada_pips_ban.jpg
canada_pips_ban.jpg [ 156.45 KiB | Viewed 12126 times ]