OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 17:39 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
skilless_slapper wrote:
Go to user control panel - edit profile - edit avatar

Well, I can change the Avatar picture but I cannot by myself change the text above the Avatar picture.
And I still use pips almost every week :)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 21:23 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

In my quest for better health, lesser pain in my lower back, I am now trying to get more physical excercise out of my training. I am not fully ready for hard drills (multi ball etc). So, for fun and to get my legs and heart to work more, I am now back to some kind of modern defensive game. At least for a little while. My legs are getting stronger and I feel that my heartbeat is up higher during sessions than when playing my normal close-to-the-table-blocking-style.

I stopped playing modern defensive 6 years ago, mostly because I felt I would be much better of with a disruptive game close to the table so I could finish the point faster. I did not have enough patience to wait for an opportunity to execute a FH loop, so often I did it too early without a good opportunity, so I missed. With anti I got to those opportunities faster and also, I had less possible strokes to choose from on BH side. That speede dup my decision making. With SP or MP on BH I could choose from blocking, countering, moveing away for defending. With anti there is just plocking agaisnt top spin. And pushing or lifting agaisnt back spin. That makes everything much easier. And more boring.

So, the last weeks I have been using long pimple on BH, on a stiga Allround blade. Mostly inspired by Filus. Then I borrowed a defensive blade, a Tibhar balsa 25 def. It is a little stiffer and more controlled on low impact but also faster when hitting. I only tried it very briefly with my 1,2 mm Agenda and that was very good. But I felt more eager to try the Hou Ying Chao-path :). So I put a 1,5 mm Spectol on it. That felt very good. This is a true allround setup. I can easily defend with BH, keeping chops rather low and vary the spin (but I need to be rather far away from the table). And I can block and hit with BH. I just need to learn to attack with a straight hit, and not as I would with inverted. I can do that stroke rather good, but when I get into that situation in a match I tend to to the stroke more catious and with too much top spin, like I had an inverted rubber. But I have only used this setup for one session, almost only playing sets :).

Soo... maybe this is a new era? Or maybe I get frustrated again and go back to my anti soon. I have a realy good setup with my home made balsa blade and a 0.8 mm Barna SuperGlanti on BH, very good. With that I will win more matches. But maybe with Spectol I will have better health and have more fun? What to choose? Maybe I do not have to chhose, since it seems there will be no league games or competitions until September. In that case I can practice and have fun with my Spectol-bat and see how it feels during tha summer. Then, a month or so before league games starts I can go back to anti-setup again.

Time will tell...

Edit: just noticed, 6 years ago, same BH rubber (actually the exact same piece), same FH rubber (maybe the exact same) but another blade today (then VKM, now Tibhar balsa 25 def). Kind of scary :o ...
https://youtu.be/Vwb2ufeVgSE

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 07:17 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Well, today it was really hard to be a defemnder with short pips. My footwork was not where it needs to be, was constantly with the weight on the wrong foot.

Here is a good example of different strategies for defending with SP:
https://youtu.be/MjDXmqTeIWc

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 22:02 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Even though I am not making much progress with the modern defensive style with short pimples, it feels nice to se my legs and lower back that way again, in slightly slower but larger and more powerful movements - not swift and short close to the table.

Anyway, this is how it looks for now, at the end of the session, when I am about as good as I cen be now with this setup (only playing sets for now, no real drills yet):

And just to feel a little bit more like my hero Hou Yingchao, I ordered a new blade, DHS Classic 08x (the blade of SP defender Wang Chen Ce viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37357 ). And I also ordered a fresh sheet of Spectol (mine is 6 years old), this time in 1,8 mm 8) .

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 05:12 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Well, I got a very fast delivery by DHL from tabletennis11, so I actually got to try my new DHS Classic 08X allready tonight.

https://youtu.be/sYUl6Vnr4HQ

The blade feels very nice, controlled and well balanced. It is not very fast but if you put some force in it your loops will be fast enough. Blocking and fishing feels very safe. Choping is very nice. But it has been a long time since I last played the style, so I really don't have much to compare with. It is a little slower and softer than Joo but faster and more rigid or solid than Stiga Allround. A really nice all (or all+) blade.

The thicker Spectol was really good for chopping when in right position. More easy to vary spin and still keep the ball low. But that is in practice. In matches it is more difficult since you don't have time enough to prepare that stroke. Also, it is more grippy, but that can also have to do with it being all fresh and new. Blocking and attacking is much easier with this thick version and it is not much faster than 1.5 so I would really encourage anyone who chops with Spectol to try the 1.8 mm version.

Well, I really need to do some drills so I get to learn this setup. More later...ImageImage

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 09:52 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I feel the same way you are describing. Generally able to attack more playing a block/loop style at the table. Against some opponents this is just the best option. If they refuse to attack, why back up and spend all day bopping the ball back!? Against them I stay closer and try to put the ball toward my FH more often. It's rare to battle someone (for me anyway) who is an expert at defending/dinking the ball back, but also possesses a deadly attack. More often, they only dink because there is no attack decent from them! Think like pushblocker. Maybe they have an offensive weapon, but it only comes out on a very small % of openings which need to be perfect setups for them. Meaning my overall game is better than theirs, and I can afford to play safer and wait for better opportunities. Now, if they have an attack... then I will go more toward the defensive style.

To me, the chop style is more enjoyable and so I always return to this type of game. It is easier on the joints in my case, but tougher on the lungs/legs against good players. Against players who won't attack, it takes surprisingly little energy to go 5 sets versus them. Long and boring... though not especially tiring, physically.

I'll be curious to see how you find the short pips. I didn't notice much of a change in the number of misses my opponents had - going from LP to SP. And my consistency went down. I throw in a twiddle now and again to confuse them, yet still prefer the safety of long pips overall. Short pips can be fun trying to alter and change spins... however, in my situation this usually just ends with me making more needless mistakes. Whereas I know my FH has a real deadliness to it, so I can play safe on my side of the table, while putting fear into them having that cannon ready to explode :lol: I was missing this element for about 2 years during my initial chopping run, which lead to even more mind-numbing games...

PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 06:30 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Still trying different short pips... Tonight I tried 799, 802-1, 802, Globe 889-2 and MP TSP Milllitall II. The last one did not give much spin on chops, not as good as I recalled (ball has changed to ABS since I used it last time). 802-1 and 889-2 was safe and nice but I kept sending the balls to the net when chopping. Could be that they had softer sponges (around 1.5 mm). 799 was good at the table for blocking and attacking with some effect, but for chopping it is not good. At least not with original sponge, way too bouncy (ball went long and high). The winner for this minitest was the classic 802 with orange original sponge, around 1.5 mm. This felt safe for chopping (as long as there are no power loops, fast with massive spin). And it is very good at the table for blocking, pushing and hitting.

I started with DMS Protector blade, a def -. Very odd blade with lots of spin, little speed but nice speed at high impact. Very good for safe BH game but my error rate with FH was very high. Sometimes ball went long and high, sometimes to the net.

So I went back to the DHS Classic 08X, that one fits my FH very nice. So here are a few sets against para-player Jonas with MP Keiller 1.2 mm on FH.

https://youtu.be/c5S8JugmOjI

Post subject: Better and healthy?
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 17:01 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

For the first time in a rather long time, I am not hindered by any injury or so. Just age, and weight |( .
I have now setteled for the blade Winner from Barna Original, a rather light and stiff allround blade that have lots of speed potential. It has a very direct feeling and the ball leaves the bat rather quick on blocks with anti, but at the same time the throw angle on FH is normal or a little high (at least compared with the TCT). At low impact the angle is low and at high impact it is higher, this is cool. And after some adjustments, it suits my game rather well. I have used this blade for about two months now and I will keep it. I choosed a slightly more heavy version, 77 gram, to get more stability and speed in it. My friend Marcus has a 80 gram version that I will try later to see if that is even better. But for now I am settled.

On BH I have a 1,2 mm version of Barna Original Super Glanti, and that works very well. Marcus is trying a 0.8 mm to get even lower throw and faster attacks. To use that thickness you must be very accurate with bat angle on blocks, but it is ok to handle even for me. I may try that myself later.

On FH I use Yinhe Jupiter II, original version in 38 degrees. I have tried other versions, including national, Jupiter III, and softer. But this cheap basic version is the best for me. Perfect balance between speed, spin and control. And it goes well with most of my other blades as well.

So, here is where I am at the moment, a practice match against one of my most regular training partner Simon (he has Marcus as head coach, he practices a lot and he now is VERY used to play against anti). So I am happy he did not completely pulverized me :) . It ended at 11-8 in deciding 5th set in his favour:

Also, we made a sort of instruction video with Marcus. There will be more like this soon, on attacking backspin and hitting drives against drives with anti:

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2021, 20:24 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
Is the Super Glanti Attack a good option to replace the 0.8mm SG ? Or is it too fast and uncontrolable ?

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2021, 21:11 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Rinforzando wrote:
Is the Super Glanti Attack a good option to replace the 0.8mm SG ? Or is it too fast and uncontrolable ?
It may work. But it depends on what blade. The attack sponge is a little fast and also gives another arc. But I only tried the attack for a few minutes, so I can't really tell. It is fun, good for attacks but not as controlled for blocks (and less back spin compared to original version in 0.8 or 1.2).

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2021, 17:47 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

The last two training sessions I am back to my April-May setup. DHS Classic 08X with 1.5 mm RITC 802 orange sponge on BH and Yinhe Jupiter II max 40 degrees sponge on FH. This is s great setup for allround strategy play where I can choose too play defensive away from the table, pushing game at the table, blocking game at the table or a more ordinary offensive game. This blade gives me so much confidence. It has a nice feeling with lots of control and nice speed when you put some force (muscle force, not jedi) behind it. My blade is among the lightest I guess, 83 gram.

I made this change (not sure yet if I am tonuse this setup at the next leaguegame in 3 weeks) because I had a horrible experience from last league matches. I used a Stiga Legacy, it worked nice. But I was so far away with my head (due to lack of sleep, working with our new old house and for being worried about our kids (youths). So I really could not play well. That setup requires my full mental attention, I could not give that. And I did not have fun playing, I just wanted lt to be over.

I have not felt that way before, and even though I know it was the circumstances and not actual table tennis, I afterwards felt the need to change. I have been trying to find my FH more or less all the time since I changed back to anti from SP earlier this summer (early June). And I have not been having that much fun at practice and not at all fun at league matches.

Basicslly I am, for the moment, kind of fed up with the playing style of frictionless anti. I really wanted something else for my BH and I desperately needed another wood to find my FH again. I also tried other blades and setups, like Re-Impact Le Geant. It works nice for my FH with some alterations of my technique. And BH feels good as well but I could not find a rubber that allowed me to do all that I wanted, all that I could do with DHS 08X and 802. Also, I tried Stiga Clipper classic with my anti. And this actually works ok, amd very good for my FH. I really needed to find that out, that I have an anti-setup that I can return to if my game with SP does not develop line I need it to.

So this is all for my mental health. Life is too short for not having just fun time playing table tennis. And also, it give a boost for my physicsl health, it is soo much more hard work using this setup. Or at least it can be if I choose to play defensive away from the table. If I get tired I just change to blocking strategies :)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2021, 19:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Yeah i think you need the 2 set ups incase the other doesnt work.
I dont think anyone enjoys league matches mate :D
Hard bloody work.
ps-whateva happened to the iceman?

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 07:38 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I am still getting beaten at practice sets, but I am getting closer. Stull struggeling with distance from the table and reading spin on serves. And chopping... Soooo difficult with this setup against fadt or spinny loops. But it is still fun!

https://youtu.be/yVIbD9nwWSY

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 17:24 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
I can see like me you're also doing some old strokes from habit haha

Looking good so far though. Some of your blocks do look quite awkward which sometimes wins a point outright too. What sort of game are you trying to achieve? Or just going with the flow atm and being quite all-round?

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 17:42 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Ndragon wrote:
I can see like me you're also doing some old strokes from habit haha

Looking good so far though. Some of your blocks do look quite awkward which sometimes wins a point outright too. What sort of game are you trying to achieve? Or just going with the flow atm and being quite all-round?
It takes time to re-program this old reptile brain of mine :D

I am trying not to be too decided on how to play yet. Against some opponents I will play more defensive with chopping and some FH lobbing and then move back to the table for attacks. But mostly I will try to disturb my opponent at the table with pushes and blocks and try to find a way to attack, either with FH or BH. Blocking with BH is very important in this game.

So far I have been stationed too close to the table (like I was using my old setup). This causes lots of problems, mostly because I need more time now. With anti I slow the ball down and that gives me time and then I can stay at the table. With this rubber the ball leaves by bat with more speed and it comes back much faster, so I am a little off sometimes.

But I also need to refine some game plan patterns, starting with serve and recieve. In the first match I had lots of problems with his short no-spin serves to my FH. With anti I just placed them at the edge of the table to his body or to his far FH. If I do that now I won't have time enough when he returns ot to my far BH. So I need to work on my service recieve with FH. Or I can do like Mima Ito, o sort of flick 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next