OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 05:10 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Highlight of this mornings session was training on the table next to Umair the Pocket Rocket lol. Said hello etc, cool guy. He trains at my club 2 or 3 times a week actually.

Not the best session today though, both me and Anatol realised within first 30mins we needed a coffee lol. But then we done some decent drills and match play at the end. Both of which I filmed and will eventually put into a video.

Side note though, realised got knee pain again since last week....the time I started playing with LPs. I am almost sure it's because when I'm chop blocking I straighten my right knee. I can see with Manika and Abbasi they also do it just not as often and not as bad. I watched Robert and he doesn't do it at all, need to focus on that next session and copy him.

I will hopefully play Friday morning again and Sunday afternoon. Fingers crossed they will be decent sessions so I can see where I'm at with my natural tendencies in matches some more. I am starting to feel SPs on the FH are showing their strengths for me, mainly being the block and counter hit as well as good over the table short game and pushes. The inverted still gives me more advantage with the loop vs backspin and the 1-2inch above net hits as well as serves. But ultimately the SPs should be just as good 1-2 inches above net but I just can't quite get it down, if I try to hit too hard I mostly miss table, slow it down slightly and I almost never miss but not sure if I should be happy with that or not. Only time will tell.

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 22:15 
Super User

There is more details in the description of the video

Just uploaded. Decent amount of footage although not the best. I wanted to get more matchplay but I either wasn't able to go on the days the higher lvl players went, or less people than usual turned up or of course people aren't comfortable to be filmed.

But I can say where I'm at now. With regards to my BH LPs I have found myself steady blocking vs loops most of the time rather than chop blocking. If the loop isn't fast then the chop block is easy but as soon as there is some decent pace on the ball I resort to the steady safe block which still does the trick most of the time however.

With regards to my FH SPs, this has been an interesting journey so far. I have tried to stick with the shorter tighter more compact strokes similar to that video I posted before, or people like Melanie Diaz and I have been more consistent. My FH doesn't feel like much of a weapon though, but I am aware that my blocking both passive and active causes lots of issues for opponents as I direct it quite well which can win me points outright at times but mostly sets me up to give it more of a whack....which is the next interesting part. When I go too hard I usually miss half the time, if i tone it down slightly where you see in this edit they aren't killers but they win me points almost all the time. This makes me unsure if I just try to stick to that power for a while and get my consistency up to the 95%+ rate, or if I continue to really smack them even if I miss half the time.

With regards to actual results. I still haven't lost to any Div2 players (even the 80%+ ones). As for the Div1 players, I can compete with them but its a struggle to win a set. Granted Anatol is currently 100% 18/18 in 1 of the local leagues but I can make him sweat. I lost badly to Semi but then it was the first session back with LPs so I definitely need a rematch in the new year lol. But ULTIMATELY, I really want to compete with players like Anatol and the group of players some of which top 100 mens, I want to make them sweat. I really need to go to one of their sessions and ask them for a match and see where I'm at with them, if I can block their loops with the LPs or not atm.

With regards to my knee, still having some pain despite focussing on staying low and not straightening that leg....will need to keep an eye on that

Anyway Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays everyone and Happy New Year!

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 00:12 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Is the sponge on Moristo hard or soft?....the blocks with D.tchs went too high and long .Also the angle of the blade may have had an influence.
Too hard a sponge makes the block longer and less dampening effect......

Been experimenting with Degu in ox and the blocks with the LP are not badly affected......as my friend Merlin el mago vey well said ,SP is the best weapon against LP..... been training again against TSP CURL P1R and it was very easy to attack the backspin..... so it makes sense to at least have a setup with SP when you play against LP...

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 00:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Have a good xmass mate :Chop:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 01:02 
Super User

charmander defender wrote:
Is the sponge on Moristo hard or soft?....the blocks with D.tchs went too high and long .Also the angle of the blade may have had an influence.
Too hard a sponge makes the block longer and less dampening effect......

Been experimenting with Degu in ox and the blocks with the LP are not badly affected......as my friend Merlin el mago vey well said ,SP is the best weapon against LP..... been training again against TSP CURL P1R and it was very easy to attack the backspin..... so it makes sense to at least have a setup with SP when you play against LP...

I think Moristo is on the softer side. Maybe medium or medium soft tbh. Maybe someone else can give a better answer though.

I would need to adjust my technique/angles though for sure. Coz when I watch Manika do it, looks so easy lol and she uses Tenergy on FH.
In that first footage though that's what taught me to have less movement and instead just block steady and it yielded much better results. I just need to play these opponents again to be sure.

If I done these exact same blocks with exact same blade and FH rubber but instead of Dtecs it was TM, Viper soft, Piranja, Hellfire X etc. Would they be lower and on the table?

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 01:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
The first drill w Anatole where you hit BH counters with the LP several times and then do a chopblock to his FH is very nice. I am gonna steal that one from you :rock:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2021, 03:54 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
The first drill w Anatole where you hit BH counters with the LP several times and then do a chopblock to his FH is very nice. I am gonna steal that one from you :rock:

I think I done more to BH/middle. Only a few to FH but it was supposed to be anywhere lol. Anatol just likes to move and get more shots with FH that's why it looks like that. We like the random element drills so we try to always add it in. It's a good drill since we both can enjoy it and get something out of it too (people don't really like LPs focussed drills much :devil: )

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2021, 01:57 
Super User

For all those wondering what kind of players I want to get good enough to compete with

The guy from Lebanon is rank 20 in his country.

The guy in Green I've played only once before but when I was chopping mid distance. He beat me 3-1 me winning first game only.

But on this channel is all the lads who come and train as a group 2 or 3 times a week at my club, with a few other additions recently. I will try my best to get a game in with some of them. But Anatol when he plays people like this he looks much better and their games can go either way depending on how well they're all playing on the night.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 02:34 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Thing about SP is that you CAN'T go as hard as you do with inverted -- unless the ball is high enough to smash straight through. Otherwise, you get no arc so the ball won't dip onto the table. Meaning, you must be more strategic and setup shots that you get a chance to smash. Versus better players, these become harder to come by.

You can full force loop a low ball with all the strength you want, and so long as you make sure to brush/spin enough... it will land! Short pips need that direct line of sight, unless doing a loop with them of course. Then you lose out on the spin factor.

The funny part about when I was using SP... people kept commenting how FAST my shots were. In reality, they were often slower than my inverted loops, but the direct path of the ball going from A to B instead of A B C (as with a loop) threw the opponent's timing off so much it seemed like the speed was far greater than it actually was.

If you focus on control and placement... wait for a mistake and BAM! Smash that baby home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq4-_TTiR4U

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 03:48 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Thing about SP is that you CAN'T go as hard as you do with inverted -- unless the ball is high enough to smash straight through. Otherwise, you get no arc so the ball won't dip onto the table. Meaning, you must be more strategic and setup shots that you get a chance to smash. Versus better players, these become harder to come by.

You can full force loop a low ball with all the strength you want, and so long as you make sure to brush/spin enough... it will land! Short pips need that direct line of sight, unless doing a loop with them of course. Then you lose out on the spin factor.

The funny part about when I was using SP... people kept commenting how FAST my shots were. In reality, they were often slower than my inverted loops, but the direct path of the ball going from A to B instead of A B C (as with a loop) threw the opponent's timing off so much it seemed like the speed was far greater than it actually was.

If you focus on control and placement... wait for a mistake and BAM! Smash that baby home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq4-_TTiR4U

Yh good points. No rubber is perfect, always give and take. I'm enjoying them so far though tbh, I also think my short game got better I just don't utilise it enough coz I forget and play reactive a lot.

Funnily enough I noticed (especially vs the better players) that they often overshoot a loop or block my hit in the net a lot, sometimes even flat out missing the ball :rofl: due to the different spin and flight path etc

Yo that guy absolutely smashes those higher balls, some of them are only just above the net too!

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 06:57 
Super User

Mingwei is a traditionally trained 3rd ball short pip kill artist... absolute nightmare to battle! Cut from the smash cloth as He Zhi Wen.

Lower grip pips are much like long pips, in that opponents need to practice vs them to understand what type of returns come back. Not quite as stark a contrast compared to long pip... but enough to do as you describe and overshoot or block low due to lack of spin/kick. That gets especially troublesome for 'rhythm' players who like the consistent tempo of speedy top spin blocks/returns. Having said that, once they adjust -- you're dead meat! It gives them more time to load up and choose where to put the ball. To counter that, I think you need to do active blocks (increase speed) and/or position the ball well to where they don't like it. Changing up the tempo/speed in addition to the spins.

Mingwei falls victim to that folly a few times as well. Slow block, gets countered hard.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 07:32 
Super User

Yh I definitely gotta pay attention to how that unfolds.

Btw thanks for that list! I really enjoyed Jerry Dydynski as well as Robert Shahnazari. I am trying to replicate Roberts BH LPs loop. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the most effective vs light backspin or float. For heavy backspin I have found Amirreza way better

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2022, 06:25 
Super User

Little bit of an update. Still playing with Moristo and Dtecs on NSD.

My shifts at work have changed as of 2022 and been playing Friday mornings now with Anatol and have the coaching table free so we have been doing multibal last couple Fridays. Been playing quite a few matches with many different people. I have changed my grip for service too which has resulted in more quality. Overall I am seeing and feeling my improvements.

Today I played a brand new player, a good blocker who isn't new to playing LPs too. Was a great knock and games, I won, not close but not comfortable either. Then I was able to play Juliette, the women's band 3 winner who I found out was top 300 women's in France. She won 3-1, I took the first game 11/2 but the next 3 games she won although close. I'm training with her on the 30th and I'll definitely video it then.

I was staying away from filming until I felt I was beginning to feel comfortable which I think is now tbh. I need to work on my FH this Friday though, to have a better chance at winning next time. I dunno if anyone else has this issue with LPs or perhaps Anti too, but when I'm given low light backspin to my BH, I cannot give a strong enough hit to stop people like Juliette from slapping the living daylights out of it lol.

Also keep losing points to long very fast float serves, I cannot keep it short enough and no matter where I place it she moves and slaps it pass me. I get 1/4 of those back without it being demolished.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 06:40 
Super User

I face the same problem vs a BOMB looper... he loves playing vs pips. A practice partner taught him over several years, now he has ZERO fear and just goes HAM on every long ball he can.

Serves light backspin, usually long to my backhand - hoping I will send it wide to the right (he's a lefty, so this is his forehand side), where he can wind up going for a kill. I play more as a chopper, so what I did was practice with a partner. I hit them a light top spin ball to start the point, and their job is to SMASH it at my backhand as hard as they want. I say, go ahead... try to kill it! And we do that over and over. For me, I drop back to chop the ball. As a blocker, you could do the same setup stay at the table and learn to absorb the hit.

To prevent that sort of attack, I've found the best thing to do is either return the ball LONG and LOW into their crossover point... or far enough out wide so they must step to attack. Anything into the body or out of reach, requiring movement reduces the effectiveness of their attack by a good margin. You MUST place it well to minimize the strength of their offensive shot, or it's very difficult. You basically have to give them a reason to stop doing that serve. Make them lose when they do it! Is the best way :lol:

Trying for a short ball vs these with pips is quite risky. Often goes too high.

After practicing that shot, I was able to survive the first attack -- so much so, that the opponent changed up his tactics trying to play smarter, waiting for better balls etc. no more just 1-2 and done setups (well... not an every point kind of game anymore).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_QB47OlNeg&t=44s

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 01:49 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
To prevent that sort of attack, I've found the best thing to do is either return the ball LONG and LOW into their crossover point... or far enough out wide so they must step to attack. Anything into the body or out of reach, requiring movement reduces the effectiveness of their attack by a good margin. You MUST place it well to minimize the strength of their offensive shot, or it's very difficult. You basically have to give them a reason to stop doing that serve. Make them lose when they do it! Is the best way :lol:

Trying for a short ball vs these with pips is quite risky. Often goes too high.

After practicing that shot, I was able to survive the first attack -- so much so, that the opponent changed up his tactics trying to play smarter, waiting for better balls etc. no more just 1-2 and done setups (well... not an every point kind of game anymore).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_QB47OlNeg&t=44s

Yh I think I need to prevent the attack. For this particular opponent the crossover point didn't work since she is so fast to sidestep. But I will try my best next time to send them wide to her BH. I did win 1 point by getting one half long to FH corner. But I only tried to keep a few short before realising it's too hard without some luck lol. I only managed 1 good long one to her BH, but then another time she still got it with her FH real good ;(

I'll get some footage vs her next Sunday so we can see it in action

My Vlog / Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next