OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2022, 21:22 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
My new Stiga Clipper Oversize blade arrived this week and I've used it for 3 sessions. It plays very well with Ox pimples. I think you'll enjoy the Clipper and Trouble Maker combination.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2022, 22:27 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
I wonder if Clipper is good with a thin sponge for chopping.It seems it is good in ox but I have not seen anyone use it with sponge.Maybe it is because of the fact that the dwell time is not that great .

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2022, 00:46 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Sami wrote:
I wonder if Clipper is good with a thin sponge for chopping.It seems it is good in ox but I have not seen anyone use it with sponge.Maybe it is because of the fact that the dwell time is not that great .
I am not sure but I think Fabian Åkerström uses it with a thin sponge, but it might be ox he uses it with.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2022, 01:21 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
Rob M wrote:
My new Stiga Clipper Oversize blade arrived this week and I've used it for 3 sessions. It plays very well with Ox pimples. I think you'll enjoy the Clipper and Trouble Maker combination.

where can I get the new Stiga Clipper Oversize blade?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2022, 21:31 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Sami wrote:
Rob M wrote:

where can I get the new Stiga Clipper Oversize blade?

The Stiga Clipper Oversize blade is discontinued but you can buy one on ebay. I bought one from this vender and he is legitimate; https://www.ebay.com/itm/254383682406 before i ordered from him I sent the the above link to Stiga customer service and they said the blade looks legitimate. I would happily order one again. This blades pairs very nicely with long pimples.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 17:05 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Yesterday I went back to my beloved Stiga Clipper Classic of 90 gram. This blade is clearly slower than the version I have at 96 gram (density of the woods differs).
I used it with my normal rubbers Rakza 7 soft and Trouble Maker ox. Very nice feeling and enough speed for most situations. Serving and pushing and blocking feels very solid and predictable with this blade. I spent most of the training doing drills for FH and footwork and serve. So I don't have much more info about how it works with TM. But I did a short drill blocking and attacking against drive and push with my BH and it felt very nice, more control than with LeG. Also, I played a few sets and even though I had problems with hard attacks to my BH (I was not in position for chop blocks) I also managed to make a few nice emergency blocks that went fast and straight to the other side of the table, forcing opponent to push so I could go for the killer attack. So even though I had no time or experience to perform a chop block, the block was still good enough for me to win the point. That feels nice :)

PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 20:01 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

After a few weeks with long pimple I realised it would not help me enough moving towards a more active and less "locked in" BH game. Attacking with the pips against top spin is probably doable but since I won't be able to feel very safe with BH I will not be able to build my game plan around a more active BH with long pimple. Learning to effortless block with long pimple ox takes a lot of time and the downsides are quite a few, and I feel almost as forced to a passive BH game as with anti, using lp.

I had a back up plan, besides going back to anti (but I am still fed up with anti). It was to go back to short pimple but with a less grippy, more disruptive short pimple - Killer. I tried the soft version for about 30 minutes a few months back and it felt rather good but a little difficult to control. So this time I decided to go with ordinary Killer in 1.5 mm (I had a lightly used sheet in my bag that I had not tried). This worked much better than the soft version!

First session was good, after an hour I could use it rather well for blocking, driving and some harder attacks. Attacking back spin took a little more time. Chopping and pushing needed some more work.

Here is a match clip from the end of my first session with Killer on Le Géant: https://youtu.be/C_5BfBQYDwM

Next session followed the same path, I worked on getting safe with blocking and attacking, and also to get my FH against back spin better. I made progress and beat a far higher ranked player (altough he felt he was in more of a summer mode, not very focused). The destructive power of Killer is enormous, probably better than most other rubbers I have tried in relationship to how I can control it and attack with it.

I wanted a fresh sheet, so I ordered a Killer Pro 1.5 mm, with a harder sponge compared to Killer original. I used this for the first time last night. It has even more devestating effect I think, but I also felt it was a bit more difficult to use, especially for attacking back spin. But hopefully it is just a matter of practice :).

Anyway, Killer is a very good short pimple with lots of deception and you can rather easily attack pop ups or just block or drive back most balls directed to your BH. I really like this rubber and it fits perfect for how I want to play for the moment! So unless something unexpected happens, this will be my BH rubber for the comming season!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2022, 21:35 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

For many different reasons I first went back to Clipper wood and now I am again using anti on BH. It just would take too much time to get good with Killer, and I do kot have that time. Also , I need to contribute to my team with some wins this comming season, and that I can do better with anti. But I need to keep practicing fun and I need my FH. So Clipper wood is good for that, although it is not perfect for anti (but good enough). This was my 2nd session since I changed to Killer 3 months ago. Still a little rusty but I am getting there... Next up will be to try the new SuperGlanti soft (SG top sheet with the sponge from Störkraft).

https://youtu.be/rU63ldZ6SXo

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2022, 00:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
We had the conversation about having fun and winning before lol.
i think you play well with the antispin mate.
its just a matter of getting the perfect blade and anti combo now :D

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2022, 01:51 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

peterpong wrote:
We had the conversation about having fun and winning before lol.
i think you play well with the antispin mate.
its just a matter of getting the perfect blade and anti combo now :D
Yes, I know [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY].
For me there are many different factors. But I realized that having a blade and rubber that feels very good for FH is important for how fun it is. But I know I will get frustrated from time to time. So I have a back up Clipper with same FH rubber but Killer on BH :)

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2022, 04:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
i currently use a duel speed stiga hypertech.
the best blade for me at the moment and dare i say ive used as many different ones as you.
with this blade you can twiddle and chop with the anti and pips comb on both wings easy.
my f/h is often off but its not bad with this blade.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2023, 01:27 

Blade: Dr N Matador
FH: Tibhar MXP Max
BH: ABS2 Evo 1.8
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a year now and I have found many useful posts. I have finally gathered the courage to write my first post here :). I apologize to everyone for my poor English; I will try to use an online translator. Hopefully, it will be somewhat understandable :). I also apologize to forum member @Def-attack for writing such a lengthy description in his blog, but I believe there's no need to start a new topic since my idea and intention are exactly the same as his. Thanks to this blog, I've learned a lot and I admire the dedication with which he approaches training. Deep respect :clap:

Let me start by describing myself a bit... I am 57 years old, 177cm tall, and currently weigh 104kg :) :( :rofl: . I live and work in Serbia. I played table tennis actively in a club from 1982 to 1991. Back then, I played with the old and good equipment that was common for many offensive players: Butterfly Gergely blade + FH and BH Sriver L rubbers. My playing style was classic offensive, although my backhand was always much weaker than my forehand. My entire game and movement were based on a strong forehand spin and chasing the ball in a 9m² area on the forehand side :). My coach always told me I would never become a complete player because I tried to solve everything with a forehand shot. He was right ;) 8) I never managed to effectively use the backhand. At that time, I compensated for it with my youth (16-24 years old), my speed, and my weight of only 60 kg :). I could never learn proper footwork, especially the repeated strong BH spins, before transitioning to the FH. But that's in the past...

After that, from 1991 to 2015, I took a 24-year break from playing completely! I got married, had a son, looked for a job, etc., etc. - life's usual things. The desire to train slowly faded and eventually disappeared until 2015.

Then I started training again and after a year, I joined a local club. After such a long break, I encountered entirely new things like playing sets to 11 points and using water-based glue for rubbers, tensor rubbers, etc., etc. I couldn't find my old equipment anymore. I bought, as is customary for total beginners, a fast blade and 2 Tenergy 05 max rubbers :). I forgot that I was almost 50 years old and weighed around 90 kg at that time :). Soon, I switched to slower equipment. In about a year, I somehow managed to regain a minimal rhythm for playing, and I even joined a team that played league matches. This was the period from 2016 to 2019; we played in the 5th division in our country. My love for this sport was reignited :).

In 2019, during a training session with a young player who was in the team (rank 2) in our country, I injured my shoulder. I couldn't play at all anymore due to immense pain. At the suggestion of a friend from the club, I started using various SP and LP rubbers on my BH and tried practicing pushing and chopping with those rubbers during training. Given my health situation with the shoulder injury, I could only play BH like that. I hadn't played forehand for over a year. The shoulder injury slowly subsided. Then the pandemic hit, and like everywhere else in the world, training and gatherings were restricted. I tried to make use of that time and learn to play BH with LP and some SP rubbers, but it didn't go well. Simply put, I wasn't persistent enough, and probably both LP and SP rubbers require a completely different hand and wrist setup when playing close to the table. I just couldn't learn that. I had more harm than benefit from LP and SP rubbers. I have tried various rubbers, such as Grass D.TecS 0.5, Grass D.TecS OX, Dr.Neubauer Aggressor, Dr.Neubauer KO, Dr.Neubauer Killer, Spinlord Degu, Spinlord Waran, Dawei 388d-1 OX... However, I always found myself returning to inverted rubbers after a certain period. My intention to slow down the pace of play on the BH side, creating a suitable situation with a few shots to transition to the FH side and score a point with an FH loop, couldn't materialize. This was mostly because I wasn't persistent enough, and probably because LP and SP rubbers require quite a different hand and wrist position when playing close to the table. I just couldn't learn it.

I never had any experience with anti-spin rubbers. But I had a desire to try them. Unfortunately, there is not a single player in my club who plays with anti-spin rubbers. Watching some video clips recommended in this blog, I got the impression that I might be able to start practicing with an anti-spin rubber on my BH side. I am simply amazed by Marcus's style of play in this video and these parts:

https://youtu.be/MHHcggrxoeM?t=81
https://youtu.be/MHHcggrxoeM?t=113
https://youtu.be/ViqmByIIRmQ?t=33

The way his hand and wrist position for blocking and "chopping" with anti-spin rubber resembles how it is with inverted rubbers. I'm fairly confident that with persistence, I might be able to learn at least a bit. My goal isn't a massive reverse right now; I mainly want to have a dynamic aggressive pushing and "chopping", even if with empty balls. And then have the opportunity to execute a strong attack with FH from the table. I know it won't be easy, but now I have a strong desire to learn this style of play. I'm only playing recreationally now, not in league matches, so I have all the time in the world :). Therefore, I would like to slow down the game a bit, make better use of my BH, and then create a proper setup for a FH attack. I want to bring my game closer to the table as much as possible. The way I currently play with 2 inverted rubbers it makes me tired, and I lose rhythm quickly.

My inspiration for learning (at least somewhat :)) anti-spin rubber is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHHcggrxoeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViqmByIIRmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCrBuF_Gui4 (thanks @Def-attack)

I only have a few older videos of myself and just one from this year; they all feature inverted rubbers. Unfortunately, I don't have footage of any official league matches or any attempts with LP and SP rubbers. I haven't uploaded full sets, only characteristic points where you can see and assess the situation. Apologies for the long videos :). I am in the first video wearing a black jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLUJEkoAxpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpRSvbZAUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wCX8PNgjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdLlF5TDf4

What advice do you have for me?

My idea is as follows:
To start with simpler anti-spin rubbers for a few months, such as Spinlord Gigant, Spinlord Gigant 2, Spinlord Sandwind, Barna Original Original Anti, Der Materialspezialist Anti-Speed, etc.,.. (So... one of these rubbers)

and then transition to more advanced ones like Barna Original Super Glanti, Barna Original Super Glanti Attack, Der Materialspezialist Storkraft, Dr.Neubauer A-B-S, etc...

Is this a good idea or not?

Also, do you advise me to buy a blade that works better with anti-spin rubbers?
For example: Dr.Neubauer Matador Texa, Dr.Neubauer Matador, etc... The blade should also be great for FH spin.

You can see the list of blades I have in my signature. I'm currently using Nittaku Miyabi.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice :) :up:

p..a..u..s..e 24 years

Blade Matador
FH Tibhar MXP Max
BH ABS 2 Evo

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2023, 16:52 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

returnee wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a year now and I have found many useful posts. I have finally gathered the courage to write my first post here :). I apologize to everyone for my poor English; I will try to use an online translator. Hopefully, it will be somewhat understandable :). I also apologize to forum member @Def-attack for writing such a lengthy description in his blog, but I believe there's no need to start a new topic since my idea and intention are exactly the same as his. Thanks to this blog, I've learned a lot and I admire the dedication with which he approaches training. Deep respect :clap:

Let me start by describing myself a bit... I am 57 years old, 177cm tall, and currently weigh 104kg :) :( :rofl: . I live and work in Serbia. I played table tennis actively in a club from 1982 to 1991. Back then, I played with the old and good equipment that was common for many offensive players: Butterfly Gergely blade + FH and BH Sriver L rubbers. My playing style was classic offensive, although my backhand was always much weaker than my forehand. My entire game and movement were based on a strong forehand spin and chasing the ball in a 9m² area on the forehand side :). My coach always told me I would never become a complete player because I tried to solve everything with a forehand shot. He was right ;) 8) I never managed to effectively use the backhand. At that time, I compensated for it with my youth (16-24 years old), my speed, and my weight of only 60 kg :). I could never learn proper footwork, especially the repeated strong BH spins, before transitioning to the FH. But that's in the past...

After that, from 1991 to 2015, I took a 24-year break from playing completely! I got married, had a son, looked for a job, etc., etc. - life's usual things. The desire to train slowly faded and eventually disappeared until 2015.

Then I started training again and after a year, I joined a local club. After such a long break, I encountered entirely new things like playing sets to 11 points and using water-based glue for rubbers, tensor rubbers, etc., etc. I couldn't find my old equipment anymore. I bought, as is customary for total beginners, a fast blade and 2 Tenergy 05 max rubbers :). I forgot that I was almost 50 years old and weighed around 90 kg at that time :). Soon, I switched to slower equipment. In about a year, I somehow managed to regain a minimal rhythm for playing, and I even joined a team that played league matches. This was the period from 2016 to 2019; we played in the 5th division in our country. My love for this sport was reignited :).

In 2019, during a training session with a young player who was in the team (rank 2) in our country, I injured my shoulder. I couldn't play at all anymore due to immense pain. At the suggestion of a friend from the club, I started using various SP and LP rubbers on my BH and tried practicing pushing and chopping with those rubbers during training. Given my health situation with the shoulder injury, I could only play BH like that. I hadn't played forehand for over a year. The shoulder injury slowly subsided. Then the pandemic hit, and like everywhere else in the world, training and gatherings were restricted. I tried to make use of that time and learn to play BH with LP and some SP rubbers, but it didn't go well. Simply put, I wasn't persistent enough, and probably both LP and SP rubbers require a completely different hand and wrist setup when playing close to the table. I just couldn't learn that. I had more harm than benefit from LP and SP rubbers. I have tried various rubbers, such as Grass D.TecS 0.5, Grass D.TecS OX, Dr.Neubauer Aggressor, Dr.Neubauer KO, Dr.Neubauer Killer, Spinlord Degu, Spinlord Waran, Dawei 388d-1 OX... However, I always found myself returning to inverted rubbers after a certain period. My intention to slow down the pace of play on the BH side, creating a suitable situation with a few shots to transition to the FH side and score a point with an FH loop, couldn't materialize. This was mostly because I wasn't persistent enough, and probably because LP and SP rubbers require quite a different hand and wrist position when playing close to the table. I just couldn't learn it.

I never had any experience with anti-spin rubbers. But I had a desire to try them. Unfortunately, there is not a single player in my club who plays with anti-spin rubbers. Watching some video clips recommended in this blog, I got the impression that I might be able to start practicing with an anti-spin rubber on my BH side. I am simply amazed by Marcus's style of play in this video and these parts:

https://youtu.be/MHHcggrxoeM?t=81
https://youtu.be/MHHcggrxoeM?t=113
https://youtu.be/ViqmByIIRmQ?t=33

The way his hand and wrist position for blocking and "chopping" with anti-spin rubber resembles how it is with inverted rubbers. I'm fairly confident that with persistence, I might be able to learn at least a bit. My goal isn't a massive reverse right now; I mainly want to have a dynamic aggressive pushing and "chopping", even if with empty balls. And then have the opportunity to execute a strong attack with FH from the table. I know it won't be easy, but now I have a strong desire to learn this style of play. I'm only playing recreationally now, not in league matches, so I have all the time in the world :). Therefore, I would like to slow down the game a bit, make better use of my BH, and then create a proper setup for a FH attack. I want to bring my game closer to the table as much as possible. The way I currently play with 2 inverted rubbers it makes me tired, and I lose rhythm quickly.

My inspiration for learning (at least somewhat :)) anti-spin rubber is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHHcggrxoeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViqmByIIRmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCrBuF_Gui4 (thanks @Def-attack)

I only have a few older videos of myself and just one from this year; they all feature inverted rubbers. Unfortunately, I don't have footage of any official league matches or any attempts with LP and SP rubbers. I haven't uploaded full sets, only characteristic points where you can see and assess the situation. Apologies for the long videos :). I am in the first video wearing a black jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLUJEkoAxpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpRSvbZAUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wCX8PNgjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdLlF5TDf4

What advice do you have for me?

My idea is as follows:
To start with simpler anti-spin rubbers for a few months, such as Spinlord Gigant, Spinlord Gigant 2, Spinlord Sandwind, Barna Original Original Anti, Der Materialspezialist Anti-Speed, etc.,.. (So... one of these rubbers)

and then transition to more advanced ones like Barna Original Super Glanti, Barna Original Super Glanti Attack, Der Materialspezialist Storkraft, Dr.Neubauer A-B-S, etc...

Is this a good idea or not?

Also, do you advise me to buy a blade that works better with anti-spin rubbers?
For example: Dr.Neubauer Matador Texa, Dr.Neubauer Matador, etc... The blade should also be great for FH spin.

You can see the list of blades I have in my signature. I'm currently using Nittaku Miyabi.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice :) :up:

Hi! And a warm welcome to the forum. Good of you to get the courage to start writing yourself (I also hesitated long before I started to write).

There are many contributors here that can and will help you. But I would suggest that you copy your fine text and start a new thread with this post in another part of this forum, where these other cotributors will find it. And then we can all help you. I am all fine with you (or any other) writing here, it is just that I think that you will get better help at another part of this forum and also, there are many otheres in your situation that will more easy find your post (and the ones that will follow) if you place it somewhere else. And then they can also benefit from yours and others contributions.

I would suggest that you post this in the anti spin rubbers section: viewforum.php?f=17
Name the thread with something like "need advice on if I should transfer from smooth rubbers to anti spin". Later (or now) you may also want to start your own blog thread, that is a good way to keep track on your equipment changes and progress. And a way to get contributions from others (but you get more help from a direct question in a seperate thread in a dedicated part of the forum I think).

See you in another thread!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2023, 20:07 

Blade: Dr N Matador
FH: Tibhar MXP Max
BH: ABS2 Evo 1.8
Thanks, new topic posted ...

p..a..u..s..e 24 years

Blade Matador
FH Tibhar MXP Max
BH ABS 2 Evo

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2024, 16:45 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

It has been almost 2 years since my last post. My life has changed a bit since that. I have been (and still am) dealing with both my kids not being well (angst, depression, being exhausted, autism, ADD, etc, etc). And I have been really exhausted myself, and gone through a divorce, selling a house I recently bought.

But now I am in a much better place, and there is more space in my life.

And as a concequence, my table tennis game is better than ever. Last weekend my team won our division 2 and we will be playing division 1 next season :)

This is s big step up, much tougher competition. But it will be soo much fun to face new opponents. This is the third highest league in Sweden, after Pingisligan (top one, where Truls plays) and then Superettan (where my trainer Marcus Johansson plays, along with many other very good players). There are 4 different division 1, we will be in the western.

Maybe this is a reason to be more active here again?

Play well!

Skickat från min SM-A236B via Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next