OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 09:08 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Hi Red Lion,

Just came across your blog and enjoyed reading it. Took me down "memory lane". I don't blame you for choosing to prioritize your education as compared to playing table tennis. There is no money in becoming a table tennis player, especially in the Philippines.

Like you I was a very good player when I was in High School (JASMS - Jose Abad Santos Memorial School) and we got all the the 1st place awards in the Palarong Pambansa, or the interschool National Sportsfest. I was even selected to be in the National Team and that year we were supposed to go to Seoul South Korea to compete, however the gov't being as it is, pulled the funding and the team stayed home.

Like you my parents told me to concentrate on my studies and that's what I did. There was the occasional University or Church games, but it was sporadic.

Twenty six years later and after living in 2 continents, I took up the sport again in Australia in 2006. I started playing in Daylesford and became the pennant coordinator, organizing the clubs competition twice a year and holding inter club competition with Trentham and Castlemaine.

I sought more challenges so I went to Ballarat Table Tennis Centre as well, to enter their pennant and I started entering the Veterans Tournament. In 2008 I was selected to represent Victoria in the Over 40 Women's age group (B Team), and have been selected every year since then. In 2011 I was selected in the A team and we got Silver :-)
That's where I also met Haggisv!

I now play pennant in Croydon which is my regular club. There is a club nearby where I live, so I also play there (Eastern Suburbs and Churches Table Tennis Club) and for the start of this year, I signed up to play in Dandenong where I regularly see RebornTTEvnglist and Sahmaniac.

Where are you based in the Philippines? I salute you for forming your own club and investing time and money in funding it. Keep us posted!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 13:08 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Hi Arlene, thank you for painstakingly reading my blog :lol: .

I am from Isabela but I also play in Pangasinan, Pampanga and of course Metro Manila. I visit different clubs whenever I have the chance.
I was forced :lol: to construct our current playing area because without it, our group will die naturally. I find joy in playing and it is my stress reliever. Later, I realized that I can contribute to the community by developing young players. I always stressed to them that study ranks first, table tennis second. By summer, we will set up training camp.

Basing from your age, maybe you know Richard Ching and Richard Santos?

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 16:25 
Super User

I think I know 2 Richard Santos. One of them was a classmate in medical school in UERMMMC and the other was a table tennis player who also plays the piano.

So this club of yours is in Isabela? That is quite a distance from Pangasinan. I grew up in Quezon City, but the family home has now relocated to Pangasinan where my mom and 2 sisters live.

I agree with you that sports teaches us a lot more than the game. It defines and shapes our character. How you approach a match, how you handle winning or losing, how you get along with your team mates, your attitude towards training. I read something that goes like this " a mediocre coach tells, a good coach explains, a superior coach demonstrates, but the great coach, inspires. " Mentoring young kids through sports is a worthy cause :clap:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 09:43 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Yes. Right infront of our house. I was assigned in Pangasinan before so was able to play with their group over there. And whenever we have meetings in the metro, I see to it that playing is included in my schedule. :lol:
I may be able to visit Australia this year probably by July ( I have a brother in QLD ). Hope I could play with the clubs over there.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 10:30 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

My first tournament for 2014

We visited a club 70 kms away from home last Sunday. It took us more than an hour to travel but made it on time. It is well attended. The clubs location is strategically located in the center of different clubs.
Anyway, I joined the open tournament. There are a total of 6 groups and each group is composed of 4 to 5 players. I brought with me 4 players since some of our club mates can't attend. We were assigned in different groups so as not to play each other in the first round.
My first game is againts a coach from club A. ( just let me use some abbreviation) I did my warm up before the travel so no need to adjust on the actual game. I breezed through my first game winning 3-0 and keep my opponent at bay 11-7, 11-6, 11-8. My offense is working and have felt that my game has matured due to tournaments I played last year.
2nd game is no different. Played with a college varsity from the home team and he played my game. Dropping his shot on my backhand, I frequently executed my cross over top spin. I took game 1 11-6, he did not adjust for game 2 11-7 and 11-7 for game 3. So its a 3-0 for me.
I was anxious with my 3rd game. The guy I would be playing is the same guy who beat me in my first tournament way back 2011. We did not play again until this time. I forgot to take note of his blade but he uses Xiom vega IV on FH and Stiga radical (SP) on BH. I size him up in our first set and I can't build up enough distance to feel safe due to my anxiety. I believe my game is more superior and I beat him in the first set 11-8. However, my anxiety was still there and he made some adjustment in serving and zoomed 6-0 in game 2. I made my own adjustment, made some point to make it 7-3. With enough lead, he took set 2 11-7.
I know I could dominate him by just being myself and thats what I did in set 3 and 4 taking it 11-7, 11-8.
The top 2 for each group would advance to the 2nd round so I made it. Unfortunately, I was paired againts a club mate and he gave the game to me. Same happened for 3rd round, knowing that I have a better chance of making it to the championship round, my team mate gave the game to me. My other 2 team mates loose their respective match in the 2nd and 3rd round.
Now I am in the semis and was paired with the rank 1 of the home club. I have played with the guy before beating him 3-0 in the first meeting and he beat me in our second meeting 3-0 also. He uses SP on the BH.
I can read his serve but opted to chop it from my BH. I tried to use the same formula when I beat him before by chopping his serve and it backfired on me. He took set 1 and 2 easily 11-6, 11-7. I realize my receiving is not working and made adjustment in the 3rd set. Instead of chopping, I opted to push and took the lead 7-5. I thought I have it from there but one edgeball and a net took the momentum off me and it was tied to 7-all. He took it from there and I lose set 11-9 and the game 3-0.
I place 3rd and he was the eventual champion after winning his last match 3-2.
My learnings for the day :
I realized that I rested too much by not playing the 2nd round elimination and 3rd round elimination. I believe that my fitness has improved over the years. Next time, even if they are my team mates, I would play them and not agree on walk over. Another important lesson, I adjusted in my semis too late ( again as I always do ). I have decided a long time ago that pushing should be my first option when receiving. I did not do it and it cost me the game. :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 16:19 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Conquering myself and gaining more confidence!

I had a good night of sleep last Sunday. Tired but satisfied. Although our team did not won the championship, my confidence in my game is growing.
We joined a team event last Sunday. It is a mini tournament hosted by the best club in the region. The format is 1-2-1 ( Singles, doubles, singles ) of which the final singles will be played only in case of tie 1-1. A team should have a minimum of 3 members and maximum of 4. A player can only play one singles but may join the doubles.
I volunteered to handle the first singles.
I lose my first game 3-0 from a well experienced Junior. I can not handle him and have not found the solution to beat him. I can't return his service low enough and he is always 100% in 3rd ball attack. I thought my first game would dictate the tempo for the day. Fortunately, our doubles won easily 3-0 and also won the deciding game ( singles ) 3-1.
For our 2nd game, once again, I handled single A. Faced with an opponent who beat me many months ago, I did not take the game easily but won handily 3-0 (11-7, 11-6,11-8). Doubles was an easy win. Our doubles won 3-0.
The third game is much harder than I thought. I was paired with a spinner. I won game 1 and 3 and he won game 2 and 4. On the decider, it was closed but he got the upperhand at the end game 9-7. But it was my turn to serve. I did not play safe and set a 3rd ball attack. I would rather lose attacking than lose defending. I took the 2 points via unreturned 3rd ball attack and tied the game 9-9. I was the first one to reach 10 and we had a couple of deuce but I am still dictating the tempo until I won the match 14-12. Our doubles won the match 3-1.
Now we advanced to the semis. We are the top team of group 1. My opponent is the number 1 player of the host club and I have not won an official game with him. He blasted me the last time we played at 3-0. That was more than a month ago. But I'm not ready to give him an easy game this time. He took an early lead 7-3 and I clawed back making it 8-6. But he took it anyway at 11-7. In the 2nd game, I was dictating the tempo but I nearly lose it. I had 4 service error! The game was close but I am still in control to closed it at 14-12!. Now Im starting to gain momentum! He adjusted on the 3rd game as we are tied 1-1. He made different serve this time. He took a close game 3 11-9. Game 4 was different. I took an early lead and maintained my lead up to the end of the game 11-8. I am 1 win away from upsetting my opponent. Game 5 was the easiest. He could not attack me and I won the game 11-6 and the match 3-2! Our doubles won 3-2. Now we are going to play for the championship.
The team we previously defeated ( our 1st game ) won the crossover semis againts the top team in the other group. They changed pairs this time but my game is again vs the top junior of the club. Their number 1 player that I beat could beat him but I have no answer to his play until we reach game 3. Instead of returning safely his service, I started attacking it right away. I gained but not enough and lose the match 3-0. :lol: . We lose the doubles and settled for 2nd. No fireworks on our championship match though.
I learned so much and I am starting to believe in my table tennis talent once again. I may be defeated but I can bounce back. I will fight another day with a vengeance.
Good day everyone!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 17:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Red_lion wrote:
I learned so much and I am starting to believe in my table tennis talent once again. I may be defeated but I can bounce back. I will fight another day with a vengeance.
Good day everyone!

That's a great attitude to have, and will no doubt help you improve! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 09:06 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Thanks Alex. It's very hard to beat any of their top 3. I was able to beat their top player but lose to the Junior player which is their number 2. I have to figure out how to beat him and I think I have the blue print now. Till next game! :D

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 12:35 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

glennholder wrote:
Thanks for the blog, Red-lion!

The elderly man who showed you much spin...what kind of pips did he have? Short, medium, long?

You now play with MAX rubber on both sides, do you still chop much?

Are there many choppers in your club?

OMG I did not reply to the inquiry of Glenn. :lol:

The elderly chinese man has long pips with sponge as far as I remember. There are short pips premade bat with sponge being sold before as well as tik-tak bats ( short pips without sponge ) so I am familiar playing with SP. But not LP.

I still love to chop using my backhand ( I use the soft version ) but I mixed it up with pushes and flat backhand drives.

At our club, we have players who uses TSP PR1 ( ox ), ritc 755 in 0.5 mm, short pips chopper, long pips blocker and inverted choppers. There is an elderly guy who uses combination bats (anti on one side and semi - anti on the other side ). Every saturday, there are different players from other areas who plays at our club. Last Monday, we have a visitor from Saudi Arabia who played that uses LP. Unfortunately, I was not able to play him because work interferes with my TT. :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 10:18 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Got my new blade today.. Mizutani Jun in flared.

I don't have my Rakza 7 rubbers yet so I assembled my blade using a used Joola Rhyzm soft for my backhand and a brand new Donic Acuda S1 Turbo.
I am expecting that it won't affect much my game but my shots would be faster. I have found reviews of the MJ and it plays similar to Amultart. Have played with Amultart before.
I will give feedback tomorrow.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2014, 09:21 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Finally I was able to try my Mizutani yesterday. As I posted, I glued Donic Acuda S1 turbo and a used joola rhyzm soft all in maximum sponge.

Have played with a club mate with an anti-lp set up. Speed is great. But I'm suffering from lack of control which I already expected. My soft touch are not soft :lol: and balls came out flying on my pushes. But accuracy on spin increases. I lose in 5 sets.
I removed the grip tape from my TBS and inserted it in my current set up. I love the fit and feel. Without grip tape, I felt the vibration and the handle is somewhat thin. With grip tape, the handling is better.

Played with a double inverted. My second game is more natural. I don't feel the vibration now and I started to master the touch. I won in three straight sets. Although I normally won games againts this player in my TBS.

I played a youngster with fast hands and fast feet. He can move from left to right with ease and has a powerful spin on both wing. His spin is accurate. But I am starting to fall in love with my set up. This time, I felt that I am holding a wand :lol: and I can direct with ease what I want with the ball. Although I am still adjusting. I won the set 3-2.

He challenged me again in another set. Normally, our games are tight. But the way I played with my current set up, it felt great. Power is there when I need it. Blocks are accurate and I shifted more to push blocks for counter attack againts powerful spin. I can return balls easier. I easily won the game without much effort 3-0.

He again challenged me for the last time and vow to take the game. Now I am in full control of my wand. Againts fast ball and pushes, I felt I won't make any mistake. I still need to improve my chopping with this set up, but this would be easier to master. I experimented on returns but still won the game 3-1 without exerting much effort.

I loved my new set up. My accuracy on medium attacks and pushes has increased. But I still need to improve on chopping and strong attacks.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 09:40 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
RL, I use grip tape for both of the same reasons.

On your pushes, try to focus on impacting the ball earlier off the bounce, it will give you more control and get you to give opponents less time. It will also (with a loose grip) (and a short stroke) give you better short control.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 11:25 
Super User

"I have decided a long time ago that pushing should be my first option when receiving".

Would you describe your game as primarily defensive?

My game is basically offensive, so if I see a service coming out long, I will attack that ball.
It's a mind frame.... even before the opponent serves, you are already planning how you would receive and where you will place it.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 09:30 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Thanks for the advice Der. I will keep that in mind.

Arlene,

I was taught as a youngster that any ball can be chopped when receiving serve ( using inverted rubber ). So it is a hard habit to break until now. Although it is fun and sometimes beneficial, it is prone to error because you should have a good timing all the time.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 16:47 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Defending my Rank

I hold the number 1 rank in our club thus I had a chance to defend it last Saturday during our monthly ranking. Playing with club mates is sometimes disadvantageous especially if they are able to read your moves as you play them often. So in order to defend my rank, I have to be consistent and play some tricks hidden under my sleeve.

I won't be detailing anymore how I played my club mates. Since I have been playing them, I just need to over power them :lol: . Overall, my game is more superior againts them. No serious competition except from the number 2 of our club. I have a hard time returning his serve safely, but he has a hard time with my consistency whenever I do my serve. So everytime I take a point from him from his service, I got the upperhand. Playing the number 2 is like chipping a big rock until I am done with it. I have to be patient especially when I am maintaining my lead. It is still hard but can be done I finished him off 3-1.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next