OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 07:09 

Blade: Garaydia ZLC
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Dignics 09C
Hello Red Lion
I enjoy reading your posts and found several similarities. We both used a Lion premade bat ST handle, mine I bought in 1989. I tore the rubbers out of that bat and stuck a new Tackiness Drive and Sriver Killer (without knowing that it was an anti rubber he he). I learned to play with that Sriver Killer chopping on my BH, twiddling to push and such. Over the years I have played with lp, sp and anti. I still have that Lion bat which I keep for memory's sake he he.
I also stopped playing for more than 10 years and now I'm almost 50 years old and now back to playing these past few years. I now use the conventional inverted rubbers on both sides. I have no problem finding good FH rubbers but I seem to have a hard time finding a BH rubber that suits my kind of game. I also prefer to receive service by pushing short serves and chopping long serves. . . . . maybe similar to what you do. The rubber that suits my BH is Sriver G2 FX . . . . difficult to find in my area here in Mindanao.

Red Lion what BH rubber do you use for such strokes? I mean what would you recommend?

Oh and I was also founding member of a club, two years now running, with about 48 members, composed of 32 students and adults. We've had several tournaments, trainings and clinics. And yet so far we are still a game shy of making the Palaro. But hopefully next year, our kids will make it.

All the best!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 10:06 

Great Blog, Red Lion. Is the Bible Center your describing in Intramuros by the Mapua area? PLM grad ako and I have played sa Bible Study Ctr na yun. If it's the same location you're describing, I wish I could have met you there. I recall playing once but chose to play billiards thereafter due to lack of decent competition. Having grown up in the Philippines, I started off playing pingpong using LIHA....played against oldies in my town at Cavite. One player even had sandpaper in his bakya (slipper) and played with it :D .

After the LIHA (Sandpaper) days, I met Butterfly. Started with the Butterfly Sardius (a mistake because it was too fast for a beginner) but paired with Tackiness and PF4. This was my setup until I graduated college in 1998. Since graduation, it was all basketball even after I migrated to the U.S. Only in 2005 did I find the Hawaii TT club. Fortunately, I still had my Sardius back then and tried the Mendo rubbers. I later changed to Timo Boll Spirit, Ten05 and Ten64, but was still being beaten by the top 10 players. Funny how things change because I'm a long pips player now, :rock: No going back to inverted....and no more getting schooled by the top 10. Now, it's the long pimples who does the attacking and schooling, :D

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 12:33 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Knuckle Ball wrote:
Hello Red Lion
I enjoy reading your posts and found several similarities. We both used a Lion premade bat ST handle, mine I bought in 1989. I tore the rubbers out of that bat and stuck a new Tackiness Drive and Sriver Killer (without knowing that it was an anti rubber he he). I learned to play with that Sriver Killer chopping on my BH, twiddling to push and such. Over the years I have played with lp, sp and anti. I still have that Lion bat which I keep for memory's sake he he.
I also stopped playing for more than 10 years and now I'm almost 50 years old and now back to playing these past few years. I now use the conventional inverted rubbers on both sides. I have no problem finding good FH rubbers but I seem to have a hard time finding a BH rubber that suits my kind of game. I also prefer to receive service by pushing short serves and chopping long serves. . . . . maybe similar to what you do. The rubber that suits my BH is Sriver G2 FX . . . . difficult to find in my area here in Mindanao.

Red Lion what BH rubber do you use for such strokes? I mean what would you recommend?

Oh and I was also founding member of a club, two years now running, with about 48 members, composed of 32 students and adults. We've had several tournaments, trainings and clinics. And yet so far we are still a game shy of making the Palaro. But hopefully next year, our kids will make it.

All the best!

Very similar indeed only that there are islands separating us! :D ( Visayas ). Only that you started with anti and LP. While for me, still deciding if I will try LP.
For your BH, try the softest rubber you could get if you want to chop. I have tried the classics, Mark V, Sriver, tackiness, Tackiness D, xiom vega asia, but I am enjoying Joola Rhyzm soft right now. I got good chopping and blocking control and I can use its power when making back hand drive.
We have 2 players from our club playing at the National Prisaa now in Davao. It just sucks that the tournament format for singles is single elimination. I am still waiting for the update today, but hoping it would work to our advantage. One of our player is bracketed with Davao and WV!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 12:37 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

alohajakeLP wrote:
Great Blog, Red Lion. Is the Bible Center your describing in Intramuros by the Mapua area? PLM grad ako and I have played sa Bible Study Ctr na yun. If it's the same location you're describing, I wish I could have met you there. I recall playing once but chose to play billiards thereafter due to lack of decent competition. Having grown up in the Philippines, I started off playing pingpong using LIHA....played against oldies in my town at Cavite. One player even had sandpaper in his bakya (slipper) and played with it :D .

After the LIHA (Sandpaper) days, I met Butterfly. Started with the Butterfly Sardius (a mistake because it was too fast for a beginner) but paired with Tackiness and PF4. This was my setup until I graduated college in 1998. Since graduation, it was all basketball even after I migrated to the U.S. Only in 2005 did I find the Hawaii TT club. Fortunately, I still had my Sardius back then and tried the Mendo rubbers. I later changed to Timo Boll Spirit, Ten05 and Ten64, but was still being beaten by the top 10 players. Funny how things change because I'm a long pips player now, :rock: No going back to inverted....and no more getting schooled by the top 10. Now, it's the long pimples who does the attacking and schooling, :D

Hi Jake. Yes, it is beside Lyceum ( the old herald building ). I graudated in MIT 1997 but only played in 1993 since I can't cope up with both study and table tennis.
You have a good blade there ( TBS ). I know people who uses TBS and has LP on the BH. I agree that Sardius has a lot of speed but lacking in the control department.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 17:12 

Red_lion wrote:
Knuckle Ball wrote:
Hello Red Lion

All the best!

Very similar indeed only that there are islands separating us! :D ( Visayas ). Only that you started with anti and LP. While for me, still deciding if I will try LP.
For your BH, try the softest rubber you could get if you want to chop. I have tried the classics, Mark V, Sriver, tackiness, Tackiness D, xiom vega asia, but I am enjoying Joola Rhyzm soft right now. I got good chopping and blocking control and I can use its power when making back hand drive.
We have 2 players from our club playing at the National Prisaa now in Davao. It just sucks that the tournament format for singles is single elimination. I am still waiting for the update today, but hoping it would work to our advantage. One of our player is bracketed with Davao and WV!

PRISAA is being played in the next town Tagum. I am a mere 30 minute ride away and I am stuck at home with the flu ;( . Culmination and awarding should be around 12th Saturday so final matches should be tomorrow or Friday. I pray I get well enough to rush over to watch some games. Let's hope your players does well, WV is always a strong contingent, whereas Davao area is not that good.

I will consider your suggestion on soft Rhyzm for BH. Maybe have to order it from Manila.
Thanks

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 19:34 

Red Lion, I plan on resurrecting TBS for club players who hate my long pips. This time though I'll pair it with old school Sriver and BTY SpinArt. My Joola setup will be for our clubs 2000+ rated players. Hope it doesn't mess up my pips game.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 09:37 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

[/quote]PRISAA is being played in the next town Tagum. I am a mere 30 minute ride away and I am stuck at home with the flu ;( . Culmination and awarding should be around 12th Saturday so final matches should be tomorrow or Friday. I pray I get well enough to rush over to watch some games. Let's hope your players does well, WV is always a strong contingent, whereas Davao area is not that good.

I will consider your suggestion on soft Rhyzm for BH. Maybe have to order it from Manila.
Thanks[/quote]

Players from our club losses to WV. They ended up among the top 8.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2014, 00:20 

Red_lion wrote:
PRISAA is being played in the next town Tagum. I am a mere 30 minute ride away and I am stuck at home with the flu ;( . Culmination and awarding should be around 12th Saturday so final matches should be tomorrow or Friday. I pray I get well enough to rush over to watch some games. Let's hope your players does well, WV is always a strong contingent, whereas Davao area is not that good.

Thanks[/quote]

Players from our club losses to WV. They ended up among the top 8.[/quote]

I saw a video taken by my clubmate. Finals single men Cebu vs. Iloilo. Player from Cebu wins it all. Very high quality play.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2014, 10:23 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

I would be joining a major tournament 400 km away from home on Saturday :lol: . It will be participated by National players and this will gauge my progress and maturity towards the game. Hopefully, I would be grouped to "easier" opponents for a chance to advance to the 2nd round.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 10:06 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

My game has matured and reading spin is easier for me now.

My tournament results are not disappointing at all. Won all my doubles at a national open held last April in Clark but lost as a team in the top 8. Almost made it to the top 4 of executive event.

We are the champion as a team in a regional tournament last May and I made it to the top 16 in the singles event. My event again is doubles in the team event and only lost a single set together with a long time team mate. Very satisfied with my play in the doubles as my attack was 90% accurate. I am not a strong attacker but I prefer placement over speed which puts off a lot of opponent. This regional tournament is played with reinforcement or what we call import from the strongest region thus very competitive.
I guess I am really competitive in doubles since I have more time to react to shots. Hopefully my legs will carry me through my journey. :lol:
I was not allowed to play in the executive event because I was too young for that event :lol:. When I was starting to play again, they allow me to playsince I am easily beaten but when I become stronger, they won't allow me to play anymore.

This Sunday, I would be joining a regional ranking organized by the biggest club in the region. I'll keep you posted and will detail how I played the game. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 12:12 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

As I improved, I am becoming more of a control freak. I have developed my top spin that I can execute even in awkward angle but the speed is not very fast. But I can land it on angle not convenient for return or counter attack by my opponent.
I am working on service return which I believe will take forever to master. I'll be joining a national tournament in October and hoping to gain medal finished in the Executive event.
I land in the top 6 in the regional ranking held last Saturday. We are grouped into 6 and I land on top of my group thus, earning the right to play the 2nd ranked of the other group. I easily dispatched all competition dropping only 2 sets vs 5 opponents who are younger than me. I lost to the eventual champion.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 10:33 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Winning the 5th game

The deciding game, or the 5th game is my waterloo. I am too conscious to closed it out. I know that most opponents who beat me on the deciding game are better than me. But I have the chance to steal it but could not close it. Or I am making it too hard on myself? I don't have the official data how many 5th games have I won or lost but on my road to improvement, I will start to count it, blog about it and monitor my improvement.
I have red threads about 5th game or deciding game especially from the blog of PB, but everything is easier said than done. Hope I would gain some success. :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 09:18 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Teaching my child.. a difficult task

I tried teaching him before and was not succesful to elevate his game. I would classify him as beginner. He does not move his feet and chase balls. He tries to return rallies from the center of the table using awkward position by adjusting his arm but not his body. On forehand rally, he could generate some sting from his shot and it is the only positive thing I see in his progress. I don't want to strain our relationship because sometimes, I lost my temper.

I reflected on my methodology. Teaching a child is teaching a child! Let him enjoy the game or in short, I let him treat table tennis as "play". I started feeding him again multi-balls ( no more robopong this time ). I started working on his feet and let him play together with other children. And I assembled a racket just for him using Adidas Alpha ( all + ) and a used yasaka mark v ad ( soft ). He tried my sp and he said he like it so I glued it on his back hand ( adidas spin blaze ). I let him join a tournament for children age 12 years old and below and he enjoyed it although he only beat one player out of 3.

He is starting to move and chase balls and that is my cue that he will soon be competitive. I think I was able to increase his interest in TT. And that is the most difficult part. 8)

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 09:34 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

I will be joining a tournament this coming Saturday. I am listed in two events. Open and Executive event. Will be posting updates soon.

My expectation :

Open - I did not plan to be a mere participant. I plan to win! :lol: . I believe I can make it to the 2nd round. Hopefully, the luck of draw play its part very well.
Executive - I need to defend my title I won a year ago. Oppositions are getting better but my goal is to become a champion once again.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 11:55 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

I have neglected my blog and I think its time to update again..

It has been 10 years since I started playing again.. Table Tennis has been good to me.

I stopped updating my blog but did not shy away from the sport. My last update was in 2014 and a lot had happened in between..
My best year was in 2018 .. winning 2 national invitations in my category.. and never went zero in other tournaments.. winning at least 3rd and winning even in open tournaments. I am using a Jun Mizutani blade during that time..
2019 was uneventful.. I did not won a singles event in my category.. did not even place 3rd like I used to.. it could have been zero until I joined a team event and my team was the champion. I did not lose but I was the 3rd player wherein 3rd player are not the strongest. But in the championship, I played the top board and won..
This result in 2019 made me decide to change blade.. I chose a similar blade in terms of composition. From Mizutani, I shifted to Apolonia both ZLC. They have same top ply ( Limba ) but the ZLC is place differently.
I replaced my forehand rubber as well.. opted for the hardest version of Rhyzer which is 50.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next