OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2021, 08:47 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Went to a physiotherapist last Friday. She suggested something very close to a wristband. Align the top with the crease of the elbow and the rest towards the wrist. Have not used it with table tennis yet, that will be tonight. Have used it in lifting things and various gardening activities.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 10:20 

Still using elastic material brace like a wristband. Doesn't seem to make much difference.

Last Monday morning, table tennis was featured on Ch 9 morning show from 5:30am, Nam Ho club at Rydalmere, with crosses to there every half hour with their weather guy. Michelle Bromley was interviewed about TT and the Tokyo Olympics among other things.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 12:51 

No table tennis for the last 2 weeks as I have just had 2 skin cancers cut off, one BCC, the other SCC. The doctor's lack of sense of humour had me in stitches and I had the stitches taken out today.

It remains to be seen if the enforced layoff has improved the mild tennis elbow that I have been suffering. At least the physio should be happy that I have had the rest from table tennis.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 12:02 

Since March what has happened? Lockdown locally, moving to regional NSW, self isolating for 2 weeks, playing a couple of times at the new local club in a handicap round robin, then lockdown again. After warning the organiser to handicap me so I wouldn't win first time, what happened? I won first time, paying for 2 more weeks. Could be my deceptive style, I guess. Any way looking forward to playing some more but I am not sure when that will be.

I also, through cleaning at the old house and / or doing stuff at the new place, have this symptom where the ring finger on my left hand, particularly in the mornings is very hard to bend all the way to form a fist, gets to where it is in a fist, then requires more effort to straighten it again. Also it hurts in the palm of my hand where that finger's bone goes to the knuckle when I press it. With the lockdown I haven't bothered going to the doctor about it yet, but I did have a little discomfort the last time I played, from the grip change between expecting a forehand and getting a backhand and vice versa. Off to Dr Google I suppose.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 12:06 

Oh and after giving up on getting a job after more than 12 months without one, 2 days after moving to regional NSW I got a phone call out of the blue asking if I wanted a job. I said it would have to be remote, got an interview the next week, got offered the job that afternoon, got a company laptop couriered out and started 5 weeks ago. Actually a 6 month contract at more than I was being paid, but I am an employee of a payroll mob, which made for interesting answers to the local census questions concerning the industry my employer is involved in.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 07:35 

... and Dr. Google comes through with the answer to my finger woes (but I will get it confirmed by a real doc at some point).

I have trigger finger, more properly known as stenosing tenosynovitis.

I suppose that I have to be thankful for small mercies - at least it's not itchy.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 15:52 

Still no table tennis.

Pulled the trigger (!) on having the operation, called a pulley release on 8 December.

What struck me was how stiff the finger was post op. I need to use the other hand to make it bend to touching the palm of my hand, and also need to assist it in straightening all the way. I am still in that situation. Had the GP have a look at the wound just before Christmas (Merry Christmas, by the way) and she was happy with how it was healing.

I go back to see the surgeon the day after my birthday in January, and hopefully by then I should have more normal movement.

Then hopefully some table tennis. Time will tell.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 11:04 

Having a go tomorrow at some TT tomorrow evening, I am just itching to go. I still have some issues with fully straightening and bending the ex trigger finger, but hopefully I have regained my grip.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 13:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good luck mate, hope it's improved! :up:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2022, 14:59 

Thanks haggisv. I have had a couple of hits at the local club, Monday and Wednesday nights. It still feels uncomfortable where the scar is, and the finger is still stiff to fully straighten or fully bend.

It is hard to tell where my level is at as I have only played handicap - first to 11 (where if 2 -ve handicappers play each other the most -ve has to score the difference then go back to 0 then get to 11, and if a -ve plays a +ve the positive starts on their handicap and the -ve has to score their handicap then go back to 0 then get to 11) with me on -26 and next -20. My -26 dates back to August last year.

Anyway, at least I can hold a bat and hit a few balls without too much discomfort.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2022, 13:27 

OK. I have had some more hits at the local club. Unfortunately it is all handicap games. However my hand seems to be OK playing, and touch etc is coming back.

Comp hopefully starts next week, but that is handicap too.

The 2021 (2022) or is that 2022 (2021) Central West Round Robin Open is on this Saturday. It will be interesting who will turn up as it is usually in November, and a few who usually come may be involved in running and / or officiating a tournament in the big smoke. I hope to at least acquit myself well.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2022, 15:31 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
I am so glad to hear you are coming back to TT.It must feel very good to enjoy TT once again.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2022, 14:46 

Played at the CWRR for whichever year on Saturday all day. Didn't think I was playing very well but ended on the same table (2) and position on table (3) as last time and the time before, which put me at 7th out of 44 players. I also was on local TV last night in the background for its 2 minute report on the tournament. Unfortunately I was working late so my wife told me afterwards that I had been on.

Interestingly I played someone from my club in the 1st round and squeaked through 11-10 (golden point, local rule for tournament) in the 3rd.

On Monday night I gave away 9 points in a handicap match and won against the same person relatively easily.

Comp has started at the local club and we won 14-13. People are classified into 3 grades and handicaps applied depending on the grade. Matches are best of 3, and games are recorded for the result. 3 players a side for singles over 2 tables and 2 doubles only played if it will make a difference to the result. I played the best player off scratch and managed to beat him, although he hasn't played since last year. I suspect he may well win next time.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2022, 11:23 

I appeared on (local) TV in a sports report on the round robin tournament from last Saturday (in the background), on Wednesday night.

I told a (non-TT) work colleague who analysed the footage for me. Here it is with some of my responses:
1. Getting entry at a poor shot
2. Walking off to the toilet
3. Bludging on the bench
4. Having a yip yap with a fellow bludger

I responded that it was tough playing table tennis and gave him
5. Going in and out of shot at 16:55 when actually playing.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2022, 10:32 

Have been playing the handicap singles on a Monday night where I am the back marker at or around -30 and no-one else is more negative that -20, and a few are in the low positives. We still play this to 11.

Wednesday nights is teams comp but still handicap, but the handicaps are set for the season with -20 as the highest and 0 as the lowest, and handicaps are only every 5 points, ie -20, -15, -10, -5 and 0.

In the most recent season of 4 teams playing each other 4 times, our team, "Spinners" made it to the grand final. After 9 singles matches we were down 10-11 (match is counted on games). We played the 1st doubles and won 2-1, making the score 12-12. So the entire season came down to the final doubles. Unfortunately we lost that 0-2, to lose the GF.

At the beginning of the last comp, I started up a weekly training session on a Saturday afternoon for 2 hours, originally with the club's accredited coach, except he found that he was still doing his "day job" on a Saturday afternoon quite often. We usually only get 1-2 people turning up, and it is for the same nominal cost as playing on a Monday or Wednesday. Admittedly the ones turning up are a few of those on a 0 or positive handicap, so will benefit from the extra practice.

Given that we have 4 tables, I am looking to open the Saturday sessions to the public, but still need to finalise whether the current insurance through TTA covers non-members adequately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next