OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 15:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Oh I missed the bit about Heming winning the U18 singles final. He is also from my club, but he got too good for us, so he only visits now and then now :lol: His older brother still plays and occasionally coaches at Dandy. He is an A1 player, but not Heming's level.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 11:48 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Hi Reb,

I mentioned Heming Hu as he lost the U/18 Mens singles final to the Korean chopper. Just remembered that Dillon Cathcart played U/18 Mens doubles with Kane Townsend.

Also timed how long the Geospin Tackiness would hold a ball last night. It held on for almost 2 seconds.

Next match on Friday against Willoughby at Willoughby.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 12:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Retriever wrote:
Hi Reb,

I mentioned Heming Hu as he lost the U/18 Mens singles final to the Korean chopper. Just remembered that Dillon Cathcart played U/18 Mens doubles with Kane Townsend.

Quote:
At the time there was a lot more interest in the U/18 Men's singles final between a Korean chopper (who had disposed of Kane Townsend in the semi) and Heming Hu.

Actually when I re-read it you didn't say whether he won or lost. My mind must have decided Heming must have won! :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 12:25 

Hi Reb,

No worries. I was a bit slack myself and didn't remember not giving Heming's result. My mind misremembered having given it. Just as well I phrased my reply fairly politely :)

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 12:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Retriever wrote:
Hi Reb,
Just as well I phrased my reply fairly politely :)

At our age and memory, it always pays! :rofl: :rofl:

PS. Glad you finally found the sig area! ;) :clap:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 14:49 

Hi Reb,

Yeah it was getting old typing it in each time. Mind you, when Haggisv "sigged me on to it" via a PM, he chose to quote a post where I had changed it from my, up till then, standard to make the point that at the time I felt that I was pretty far from "golden".

I was 52 last birthday, not quite into my dotage, though my wife and children would sometimes disagree :(

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 12:09 

Match last Friday night against Willoughby

We played against 2 penhold players, one just up from the next division down. This was my 2nd outing with the Extend & Geospin Tacky, not that that is any excuse :(

My nonchopper team mate was up 1st against the more experienced penholder. Games see-sawed between them with clear results both ways. I think he lost 1-3. He (my team mate) plays a weird game, taking most shots on his backhand pimples, then either twiddling or stepping around and smashing quite hard with the forehand Tango Extreme.

I was up next against the less experienced penholder. He had quite an effective game, hitting quite well on his forehand, and minimising his backhand, and actually moving across to hit the ones I thought I had placed on his backhand. Anyway when the umpire (other team) accidentally showed the score flipper as 2-2 I joked that we should start at 2-2, 10-10. Well I was half right. Anyway we got to the 2-2 game score, and he got to 10 while I was 6 or 7, largely through serving me off the table. I generally take serves on the backhand, and quite a few were flying long, even though I attempted to allow for his spin. In addition, I was generally returning "unforced errors" into the net on my backhand. For the final point, well it was not with a bang but a whimper. That's right, I sent the return long.

Then I played the more experienced penholder and lost 3 straight, the 1st and 3rd both going to deuce. For the 3rd game I played with the Extend on my backhand & felt more in control of things, but obviously not enough to win the game.

Last singles was my team mate against the less experienced penholder. My team mate too, even receiving with pimples had problems keeping his service returns in against this guy. I think he lost 1-3.

In the doubles we lost something like 1-3. We played better than the last time we played together, but that wasn't enough against these guys.

Next match tonight against Hornsby RSL. Will try to retrieve some pride ...

Looks like I need quite a bit of practice to get used to the Geospin Tacky on my backhand and return to being ...

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 12:36 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Retriever wrote:
He (my team mate) plays a weird game

That's a case of the pot calling the kettle black if ever I saw it!

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 13:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

PRW wrote:
Retriever wrote:
He (my team mate) plays a weird game

That's a case of the pot calling the kettle black if ever I saw it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 17:00 

I'm the only one in our team that uses "normal inverted rubber" both sides.

Our captain is a "classic chopper" and the other likes putting it back with a wobble. What happens when I spin the ball and he returns with his pips out has to be seen to be believed.

Someone who knows both 3rd player and myself described both of us as "not playing table tennis". The person giving this description preferred playing against "normal rubber" wielded "orthodoxly" ie a topspin based game.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2011, 06:57 

Playing against Hornsby RSL last night

My chopper team mate played first against a wily old competitor who used long pips one side and normal inverted on the other, penhold. He twiddled before serving, hiding his bat until the last possible moment. She started off ok, getting to 1-1, but from there lost the next 2 games, going down 1-4.

Next up I played another penholder who turned up not long before we were due to play. In the previous time we played, I had managed to beat him 3-2, so was expecting a similar struggle again. However that was not to be. He seemed to have forgotten how to play me, and he made all sorts of errors dealing with my varied spin and placement. It didn't take too long for me to be up 2-0, but he put up a bit more resistance in the 3rd. I still ran out the winner of that to the tune of 11-9. I also was feeling a bit more comfortable with the Geospin Tacky on my backhand.

I stayed on the table to play my 2nd singles against the wily player. We played some epic rallies, he mostly forehand driving and I doing a fair bit of chopping (blog title notwithstanding). Whenever I did do the occasional topspin, he was ready with a very quick block which sped the game up a bit much for me and I would then make the error trying to make the next shot. Anyway, like my team mate we got to 1-1. but it was all downhill from there. He would play a few points with his inverted, then seemingly without too much trouble he would play a few points with his long pimples, driving the ball to good effect to my backhand, which, although much improved, I was still not totally happy with. He won 3-1, but we both came off the table knowing we had played a game.

Last singles was my chopper team mate against the penholder I had destroyed in my 1st singles. She won the first with him making a lot of mistakes against her chopping. After a few words from his team mate, he came out all guns blazing to win the 2nd game in a take-no-prisoners attacking storm. The 3rd game went to my team mate, then the 4th to the opposition. The 5th the penholder led 5-3 at the changeover, then went ahead and won 11-9.

The doubles was played very differently in alternate games. We lost the 1st in a fairly tight game, but won the 2nd game relatively easily. However we ended up losing 1-3.

Overall I was happier with the new rubbers. We have 1 more match and won't be making the finals.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 23:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

So will that be the end of your pennant for the year Retriever? Or do you have a short spring season to follow?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 07:09 

Hi Reb,

That will be the end of the pennant year.

Over the rest of spring/summer at our club we traditionally have an ongoing handicap comp, one game to 21, no advantage, roundrobin in groups of up to 10. The score is recorded as is, then at the end of the night the handicap is applied, and the placings within each group recorded. The winner gets a shopping voucher (was $10, for a $2 entry fee). A starting handicap is determined based on the grade you play etc by the committee, then if you turn up and play without winning or coming 2nd in a group, 3 points is added to it. Winner gets 15 or 20 taken away, 2nd place gets 5 taken away. For the ongoing points score, winner of a group gets 20 points, 2nd gets 9, 3rd gets 8 etc.

With the club sort of in caretaker mode, I'm not sure whether the handicap comp will happen this year.

For the last match both my team mates will be at the Australian Vets in Adelaide, so I'll be playing with one of our younger lower division players. One team mate was driving there starting today :).

Are you coming up to Sydney for that Korea Test match thing?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 13:16 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Retriever wrote:
Hi Reb,
Are you coming up to Sydney for that Korea Test match thing?

Unlikely, but I will see Scott's Dad tonight and see what he has arranged. If it can be done cheaply enough, its a maybe. In my younger days, I'd have shot up there no problems. These days, logistics are a little harder for me.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2011, 11:47 

Ok - last match of the season last Friday night.

Arrived late so got the table with arguably the worst light. Oh well, these things happen. More about that later. Had a lefty from 2 grades down fill in for us as both my team mates were still in Adelaide for the Aust. Vets.

To start off we had a debate with the opposition about what colour ball to play with. The fill-in was wearing a white tee-shirt, so we ended up agreeing to play with an orange ball. More about that later too :)

Had the fill-in play 1st to fit in with his scheduled match. He went down reasonably easily in the first match, but never gave up. Then I played the 2nd player who I beat 3 straight without too much trouble, just spinning the ball and getting it back.

Then the opposition player I played then had to play the fill-in. Before this match started, the opposition player started complaining about the light and the fill-in wearing a white tee-shirt. He said he thought that white shouldn't be allowed. I pointed out that we had agreed to play with an orange ball so that the white tee-shirt wouldn't "come into play". He then wanted to look up the rules. I made the observation that many years ago we had a local "anti-dazzle rule" that prohibited white shirts & shorts, but that this rule was no longer in force. The opposition player then pulled out a spare red tee-shirt and requested that the fill-in put it on. The fill-in was reluctant do do this as he (& I) felt that as it had already been agreed at the start of the team match to use orange that that was what we should be continuing with. In view of the intransigence of the opposition player, I advised the fill-in to carry out the Nike catch phrase and "just do it". So he did.

The 3rd match of the evening was a see-sawing affair. Just when I thought he might be going down 1-3, the fill-in pulled out the 4th game to be 2-2. He then proceeded to win the 5th game as well, and, to his credit, shook hands with the opposition player in an affable manner. The fill-in then went off to play his own matches with his normal team.

I then played the guy the fill-in had played first up, yet another lefty. We stayed playing with the orange ball. Unfortunately, I fell into a particular pattern of play, popping them up (well relatively speaking) on his forehand which he then buried in the forehand corner on my side of the table. I kept telling myself that he was left handed and to try to keep them to his backhand, but it was no good. I went down 0-3 relatively easily.

Looking back on the season, I think I managed 35% wins, playing in every match. Given that this was my first comp back after a 15 month total layoff, and changing rubbers to ones that I hadn't ever used before part way through the comp, I can't sau that I was totally unhappy with my results.

I am not sure when next I will be wielding my trusty weapon and committing mayhem amongst the orthodox worshippers of the almighty inverted topspin, so till then ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!