OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 10:40 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Played at the club last night. Was originally reconciling my self to being relatively unchallenged until MD turned up a little late.

First up played ?? (really should learn some initials, maybe even names) who has started in earnest only this year. After an extended warm up courtesy of being there relatively on time I beat him 3-0.

Next was JH who I also neat 3-0, although this was a little tougher.

After this was ?? (different ??) who I beat 2-1.

Following this was CJ for a 3-1.

Finally played MD for 1-3.

This was after a day off work on a house hunting trip over the mountains.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2019, 10:49 

Ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre as usual. We have 3 confirmed for our end of year dinner, with next Saturday the last day to add to the numbers. The lock on the toilet door was also operable, as was the dust broom that had fallen apart, which I had reported the previous week.

Played at the club as usual last night. Played AF first up. He usually beats me, but this time I was able to triumph 2-1. He missed returning quite a few of my serves (not aces).

Then I played JL for a 3-0 win. He seems to think that I get a lot of lucky shots, as well as him playing poor shots to my well placed spinny returns.

After that I played R? where I concentrated on forehand serves for 3-0, with only the odd lucky shot. I did get my signature lobbed return that hits an edge (side in this case, although the back edge works just as well for me).

Then JL & I played MD & AF. We led 2-1 but then ultimately lost 2-3. At one stage it seemed that AF could not return my serves or shots generally at all. I do remember missing a high gimme, although I don't think that this miss was why we lost :).

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 10:39 

Played at the club on Thursday night. Played MD first up for the win. I think I have mentioned that I think that I warm up quicker than most players - a result of being a defensive player who on the whole takes the ball later so not relying as much on timing closer to the bounce. Played a few lower graders, as well as some doubles.

Second last Saturday afternoon at the community centre. I managed to break the repaired dust broom, but yet to report it - forgot. Now have 7 for the end of year lunch, a little down on last year. Also fewer attendees there, being weather getting hotter and people busier towards Christmas.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 10:41 

Played at the club again last night. First up against EC (LP & SP). You may recall that I said that I tend to warm up quicker than other people. Not true versus EC, although admittedly he had an additional 2 minutes warm up, albeit with a lower grade player, than me. Anywho, I got the first game but then he got the 2nd very easily than the third almost as easily.

Then was a match with MD. The games all went to 9 or deuce but it was a 0-3 washout to him. After that was a doubles or 2 and a singles or 2 (1 with the player who warmed up EC) with lower grade players.

After next week the club shuts down for Christmas.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 10:47 

Played again at the club last night. First up was IF, who had only dropped in for a few games. He is a combo bat player who I beat 3-0, as always taking pride in making him hit the ball into the net on his pimples side. Next was J?, a couple of grades lower than me for a 3-0. Like a lot of players he can handle top spin but not back and side so much. Then ?? maybe a grade below for a more hard fought 3-0. Next was a doubles featuring IF & myself v MD & JL. We played best of 5, after being up 2-1 we ended up losing 2-3. Followed up this with a match with JL for a 2-1 win, losing the first a bit worryingly. Finished off with a fun doubles involving the 3 worst players present, trading the 1st 2 games but winning the third when my partner hit a string of unreturnable shots. I was just getting the balls back.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2019, 10:55 

Last Monday night at the club for the year. Got there late as real life (tm) intervened as is its wont.

First up, played with M?, for a 3-0 win. He has a pretty good loop and kill shot, but once I get a few back he doesn't know what to do in some cases.

Next was a fun doubles with some new guys to the club. I partnered with the worst to even things up. We lost the first, one the second but ultimately lost the 3rd for 1-2.

I then had a match with JL for the 3-0 win.

Then M? & I played JL & MD in a more serious doubles. I think we went down narrowly 1-2.

A couple or 3 or 4 young kids came in to have a look, so MD & I went on the next table and did a bit of show off stuff which didn't hold their interest as they left, then had a match which MD won fairly convincingly, and that was it for me, having had a request from SWAMBO to not be out too late..

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2019, 10:46 

Last Thursday night was the last night at the club for the year. Had a few nice doubles and a singles with JL 2-1 to cap off the year. Be back blogging next year.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 10:47 

Happy new year to my reader.

In non-TT related news, in the break we went to Oberon to look at a house. Travelling out on the Great Western Highway from Sydney, there was smoke everywhere, just less in the high spots than the low spots. No sign of active fires. Coming back we went via the Bells Line of Road, and as well as the smoke saw plenty of fire evidence from the outskirts of Lithgow onwards. Had a look at a house near the Zig Zag Railway that we nearly bought and it and the ones around it had had surrounding grass etc burnt up. Some sheds had collapsed but most houses had survived in that street. A lot of the bush on both sides of the Bells Line of Road was burnt all the way to Bilpin, and some patches after that.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 11:05 

Had the first hit for the new year at the club last night. First up had a hit with a newcomer EL, who wasn't to sure about playing and asked me if I would prefer to play with someone else. I persevered, and later encouraged him to have more play in doubles and other singles. I was able to also tell him that there would be 3 or 4 more at his level on Thursday, and also about other venues in the area. I then played about 3 doubles, 2 with M? who mainly plays at the community centre, and one with more my level players. I played CJ who got the first game off me, but I won the next 2, and also MD who beat me quite easily in the 1st, the 2nd went to deuce with him winning but won the 3rd for a 1-2 scoreline. I left at a reasonable time but before getting out of the car at home realised I had left my water bottle at the club. So I turned around and around 20 minutes later got home for real.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 10:45 

Almost back to the weekly schedule. Went to the club last Thursday night, having printed a copy of my only-slightly-out-of-date guide to table tennis in the local area for the guy who had come for the first time on Monday night. He didn't show. Oh well. I have it for tonight if he does turn up. Had a few doubles, a singles or two and a hit with MD. Didn't forget my drink bottle this time :). On again tonight.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 10:50 

Yup, you guessed it, went to the club last night and played. First up was JH who nearly got a couple of games off me but didn't for a 3-0. Next was a doubles which was quite enjoyable. Following this was a match with MD for a creditable 0-3, with 1 if not 2 games going to deuce. A singles with M? for an easy 3-0 where I dialed down the serves and spin topped off the night. On my way out I casually mentioned to 2 of the players that it was my birthday ...

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 11:04 

Went to the club last night - it was HOT hot.

First up was a singles with IF for 3-0. Next was a few doubles, followed by a singles with MD. He was missing a few but I went down 1-2.

There followed a club announcement about fees, teams in the local comp etc. Then there was a TT trivia segment that JL and I opted out of, followed by food which we didn't. I went down to JL 1-2.

I then went home. It was still over 30 C in the car on the way home around 9-9:30pm. When I got home my wife told me I was an idiot for running around in the heat. Guilty as charged.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 10:35 

Tried to go play at the club on Monday night, but no-one else turned up. I thought someone would as it was only the Australia Day holiday, not actual Australia Day. Oh well. Here's hoping for tonight.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 10:49 

Got my fix last night.

Played a newcomer first up, G?. For the 1st 2 games I played with minimal spin, relying on consistency. Interestingly, in warm up he warmed up with a lot of top spin drives, but when it came to show time he mostly pushed, a little how I do it. For the 3rd game I actively spun the ball. All up it was 4-0 to me.

Next was a doubles, eminently forgettable.

After this was a match with JL, for another 1-2 loss. Must work out where I am going wrong there.

Then about 3 rounds of doubles with IF, MD, JL and myself. Enjoyable, and we had one rally that just would not die. Between IF with long pimples (Daewoo something one side), JL with short pimples one side, and myself with my unusual spinny game, MD was the only orthodox player, and he had fun returning IFs returns from me sometimes.

Lastly I managed a win over MD 2-1.

Then I got home in time to see Fed lose the last 2 sets.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2020, 01:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Retriever wrote:

Then about 3 rounds of doubles with IF, MD, JL and myself. Enjoyable, and we had one rally that just would not die. Between IF with long pimples (Daewoo something one side), JL with short pimples one side, and myself with my unusual spinny game, MD was the only orthodox player, and he had fun returning IFs returns from me sometimes.

Had to read this twice...for one moment I thought you'd gone to using pips :P

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next