OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2022, 13:34 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
Great session of TT this morning. My Fh was worse than usual but I focussed on banana sidespin looping with my BH and it was getting great.
Beat Shaun 2:1 at the end of mixed play.
Then I can't remember with Anakin but that our game scores were probably 3:2 to him but I may have beat him I just wasn't caring.
Same with Jeff the super smasher.
Then I beat Eric 2:1.

All up my game is improving and getting games off Anakin and Jeff is proof. One game I killed Jeff 10:0 and then went to easy serves mode beat him 11:3.

The key against JEff is I absolutely have to attack anything otherwise he will smash the crap out of everything. I aimed everything at his backhand and gave him my most extreme serves to there.

We all had lots of awesome rallies with long-distance counter-attacking.

---

PF4 vs Hurricane 3

My rubbers all turned up from deeplin aliexpress, gave me 2 free protectors and some edge tapes. (nice)

The PF4 does not have a number on it to say what hardness the sponge is. The H3 do.
Pf4 and H3 41 are equally reverse domed out of the pack. H3 38 is only slightly reverse-domed. All the sponges look equally new and the same colour, The Pf4 feels pretty soft so probably 39*. They are all in the same type of new cardboard packaging... I'd say the sponges have all breathed because there are holes to see the sponge open to the air.

As I suspected there is no quality difference between Pf4 and H3. I have a dam hard time trying to see with the naked eye the difference in pips. If at all I think the topsheet is thinner and or the pips' height are shorter and possible slightly denser on the H3.

I can't tell the difference in tackiness with just a finger test.

I have started boosting with baby oil all three as equally as possible. First layer is 4-5 drops each.

---

cut off some corners of
H341 black
Pf4 red

I could get the Pf4 topsheet off far easier than the H3. The H3 basically had to come off in crumbly bits.

Did a topsheet stretch without sponge.

H3 topsheet I could stretch almost double the length before there was no more give.
Pf4 felt like so much more force was needed to extend it to half that and then it snapped. Topsheet split with topsheet and pip sheet!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I am not sure whether the PF4 is thicker topsheet as I guessed earlier and therefor possibly less stretchable because of that or whether H3 is just clearly more elastic and with a stronger bond to the sponge. However the 41* might have more connection than the 39*... not going to bother doing the test with H3 38...

---

After several hours I put an equal tablespoon more of baby oil on each rubber. Interestingly, it seemed that the order of hardness of sponge is the opposite what would you think....

The 38* took the longest to dry up, 39* in the middle and the 41* was almost totally dry. However, the following day when they were all almost completely dry:

the 38* is the most domed (but remember it was also the least reverse-domed out of the packet).
the 41* is in the middle

and the Pf4 is the least domed of the 3.

Rubbing my finger across the sponges, the dryness is the same as the day before. 41* is the readiest to be glued down as it feels grippy dry enough. The 38* feels a touch oily still.

---

So far Pf4 does not seem to be as good as H3.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 07:09 
Super User

Been thinking about the differences of the Pf4 and H3 top sheets.

I am pretty sure the PF4 topsheet and pips are slightly thicker than that of H3. (did a few more feel tests of the bits cut off)
Looking over top (not side on) I could line up the pip structure of both and they seem identically dense and sized, and spaced.

So if the only real difference then is the thickness (side on view) and the elasticity, I would guess that:

H3 will engage on soft shots easily and be more spinny because the ball will enter into the sponge quickly and wrap around the surface area.
The Pf4 is the opposite. And I would guess that it might actually be faster by far. Because the force it took in my stretch tests was really high at lower levels of stretch. In real play, the topsheet does not need to stretch the same way in my tests so I am guessing:

Pf4 is a higher speed than spin ratio than H3.

Of course that is simplistic but standing at the table Pf4 should have a lower arc and be more controllable generally in simple types of shots (being less spin responsive). The lower throw should be beneficial for me but I put great emphasis on the spinniest serves and crazy amounts of spin or arcing sidespin loops.

H3 will probably be the winner still here on FH. Pf4 might be better at bh for service return and driving.... (not what I'm really looking for)

---

Blade arrived. THANKS, OOAK! This is my third blade I have ordered this year, the first two were from other websites in OZ that did not stock what was 'in-stock' on their system... I was getting a little jinxed this one might not turn up so :party:

Love the bronze metalic logo biz:
Now I have two very similar baldes. :P

There's an absolutely very slight colour change which seems to be the sheen, which I am thinking it the varnish, or a soft sanding difference... Doubt it is a ply join. Doesn't bother me as the whole blade is beautiful. The sound is lovely and the handle is flatter than it looked in other pictures which is what I wanted. It is possibly a mm thinner than the grubba. The grubba actually seems a touch rounder... So this is an improvement.

---

My glue arrived shortly after.
Can't remember exactly but shipping was free for buying 3 that's why I got them all $30 delivered. Otherwise, it was like $20 for 1... etc.

No way I am trialling this glue on my favorite rubbers or blade. So Pf4 goes on the Stiga off classic. almost zero dome to the Pf4 before and I'm not bothering to remove all the left over residue off the blade:
There was an instant medium sized dome after putting down the glue. The included brush in the lid lost hairs quickly onto the surface :@ and this glue is pretty much as I remember it to be: gluggy thick too quick drying so a rough texture happens...

I'm not looking for a speed glue effect from it, so will let it evaporate for a while. If I wanted the speedglue effect I'd put a sheet of glass over the sponge for an hour. Then pull it off and press onto the blade.

30 minutes later, it's similar and easy to glue down in this state. Not boosting to the edges helps. It glued down easily in a couple of rolls but there is for sure wetness/voc in there that will last a long time.
Hopefully the topsheet will not bubble. Anyway Pf4 passes the 3 second test and then drops off.

That's all for gluing rubbers and blades for today. I will want to test this before possibly regretting anything for the important equipment.

---

OK so I got a short test in with my kid. Long enough to tell. And this is why I tested it on the same blade with H2 black (not boosted as recently and has never had VOC) on the back.

I did the tacky test again and I couldn't get more than a quick second out of PF4 holding the ball. I could find spots on my H2 (which is not new!) that held the ball up indefinitly. Touching both surfaces repeatedly confirmed the same.

So PF4 is not going to be a keeper. It is a control rubber for sure. Helped me not make mistakes in my looping since it is not so sensitive to spin. It was pleasant to play with. It has a slight tack and I did some beautiful loops that were low dived short after the net and kicked low. It would be dangerous in the right hands. Anyone looking for a total control rubber that does everything that is not super at anything this is it!

I will probably end up putting it on my kids blade... but I would like to have some fun sessions against my regular players to see if the control might disrupt something... Yes not missing has benefits.

final note: Black might be more tackier than red... but my red H2s have been very tacky too. The VOCs in the glue might have affected the tack... I won't know if this is a factor till I use the same glue with my new H3s. (so keep subscribed 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 20:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's a good price for the old style glue! Sounds like you need to thin it a bit to make it easier to spread.

PF4 used to be really really sticky... but they're nowhere near as sticky these days. Same thing with many other rubbers, they just don't make them as sticky like they used to. Perhaps the ITTF won't approve them when they're that sticky.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 20:51 
Super User

Was thinking to get a jar and mix it with baby oil... I want to avoid the mad chemist stuff of the past.

In which case I would not boost at all before. Just a quick mix and after application let it sit for a few hours. Maybe 5050... anyways that will have to wait for these new rubbers (already boosted)

Yes, I was hoping for more sticky than the H2, old school pf4 is what I dreamed of... Sadly, I reckon this is the new bastard style, it felt similar to h880 h350 which just is not the same tack or bond or just general CH love. These newness thingos feel like a lost plot, skeletons of the names they carry, hollow lifeless. But for what it is worth $12 rubber!?! deserves some slack. It would beat in it's state as I prepared it... any ESN pre t05 generation for spin probably. :cash:

Hopefully, the commercial H3 H2 H8 continue to the recent standard I have purchased at.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2022, 13:10 
Super User

Just added a layer of Kronyo rubber solution to my new Red Hurricane 3 38* and FX-P black, let them sit for 10 minutes and then put them on my new Yasaka Sweden Classic (YSC). I did not put a layer of glue on the blade. As I suspected there is no need for it. This should protect the blade from a greater deal of VOC and overly strong bonds.

Clamped the blade in my press and went to the club.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hurricane 3 red won't pick up the ball at all! I took my Pf4 in too. They were pretty much identical in play. I also briefly tried my grubba H8 black and it was clearly tackier and faster more forward landing too... I didn't bother my session with analyzing those differences since I really wanted to get to know my new YSC.

I love the YSC, can't say much difference to the Grubba because of the different rubbers, but I felt I still had all the shots there. I felt enormous control = shots landed I thought were going to go out, Speed = I ripped some backhand killers with the FX-P and some Ok FH loops....

Much of the time was trying to adjust to the tackiless H3. There is a tiny tack but nothing like I was expecting. Same as yesterday, this H3 and the Pf4 are just purely control, can block all day with it, I just had to adjust a little from further back to make sure my shot got over the net.

My serves were much weaker than with my tackier rubbers. I could use the H3 on Bh very easily. This H3 is a bit slower but spinnier than the FX-P. More control but I was finding the FX-P much easier to control than the MXP.

---

So results wise, I still could serve Eric into continuous misses of returns. But in games, my serves were not as great.
I beat Eric 2:1 in games at the end.
I then played Korean Sam, who I think beat me 3:2 last time. This time I beat him 3:0, then I just went into practice my weakness style and we ended up me beating him 4:2...

The YSC gave me huge amounts of control, my BH really woke up with the FXP and I killed countless shots down the line past Sam.

---

I feel kind of stuck with my rubbers now.

The Grubba Variant + MXP red + Hurricane 8 black = faster and spinnier than
YSC + FXP black + Hurrican 3 red = more control everywhere.

I don't want to keep swapping rubbers around especially the evolution rubbers because they are fragile. I have spotted tiny tares in pulling them up before... they are more porous so...

---

Sucks to have to have different colours on both sides.... I only have one old red Hurricane 2 at home which I know is tacky which I could replace the H3 red with... (probably avoid this new glue!)

What do you reckon? Is it the glue that is making these topsheets not tacky? Or is this the classic case of black vs red by OOAK https://tabletennisshop.com.au/blog/red ... %20(sticky)%20table%20tennis,tack%20choose%20the%20black%20rubber.

---

My other option is to use H3 red or pf4 red on BH since they are not very tacky. Not really my plan even though it would work... The touch of tackiness makes it easier to loop but then I lose out again in that speed I often need when stepping back. I might win more with control over speed... but at some time fun is important too.

----

optionsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

---

Had a quick hit with my kid this evening with the YWS. The H3 seems to be getting tackier. Maybe the VOC will evaporate in a few days and the topsheet will give me some love? Hope so because the whole set up feels so easy to use. Loop lovely just have to forget the extra tack I got used to ....

H38 is quite a bit harder than FX-P too....

They feel like I can kind of interchange them but really Chinese hardness is on another scale... 38* is probably 48* Euro.... So H3 38* is similar to a tiny bit of tacky but non-catapulty MXS. Spinny and similar hardness.... I would prefer this H3 over the MXS for control regardless.

I may be able to adapt to this H3 lets see tomorrow.... after more time...

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2022, 05:58 
Super User

Quote:
I love the YSC, can't say much difference to the Grubba because of the different rubbers, but I felt I still had all the shots there. I felt enormous control = shots landed I thought were going to go out, Speed = I ripped some backhand killers with the FX-P and some Ok FH loops....

Thought you would as it is a true gem of a blade that offers exceptional control with adequate speed :up:

Last edited by TTbuddy on 22 Sep 2022, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2022, 08:02 
Super User

TTbuddy wrote:
Quote:

Thought you would as it is a true gem of a blade that offers exceptional cotrol with adequate speed :up:

I'd add:

in the straight handle, holding the blade feels effortless: The shape sits right in my hand and the overall balance of the head to handle weight is spot on allowing for a loose hold and more wrist action in strokes.

The thickness of the whole blade (about 5.4mm) allows a good amount of flex too.

It kind of reminds me of a lighter Michael Maze but with added feeling and complexity.

---

That last point is why I am going to stay a bit longer with these lower-tacky DHS reds. Who knows, maybe there is enough spin due to the flex.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2022, 21:40 
Super User

Had a couple of days off (not my choice) which was good for the healing of all the aches and pain I end every session with.

Great 3 hours tonight. Only used YSC FXP H3 great control again all night.

About
30 minutes with Micky, (Eugene's mate) help me remember his name... didn't play games
1.5 hours with VB - countless games (he won 1 or 2 I think... can't remember)
1 hour with Ken (he won a couple)
10 minutes with Jeff. 1 game each

All offensive type of players, with their given quirks. All of them have a better forehand than me, I think I have a better Bh than all of them. Generally speaking, I think my serve, and short game is funkier and I am a long-distance fisher more than all of them...

We endless longer long-distance rallies, usually if I return serve weakly. Lots of long weird rallies that I wish I could put on YT to share.

---

My FH was not great tonight in the kill it department. For sure I pulled off some great shots but percentage-wise nobody would say my FH is great especially if I am going to kill topspin. My BH was not perfect either but it is much better.

I still can't decide if I want to settle on MXP or FXP. It is hard to choose because I do end up away from the table so often and I really need a bit more passive kick their. Yet I seem to have a bit more luck with the slightly slower end at the table.

As for the lower tackiness of H3 red and this softer 38*... hmmm dunno...

Ken complemented me on my short game and spinny weirdness at the table to make up for my 'lack' of a stong finishing kill with the fh..

I feel it is true because I don't remember ever having so much control/touch at the table. I feel I often can just block their opens, slow it right down, position it hard for them... I got no problems looping with FH in the kind of roll it back style or faster drivier looping of a backspin push at me. Those are my forte and as slow as they may be, the sidespin from a serve or just a general weirdness of angles makes up for it.

---

Great deal of shots I can only kind of say look more like Ma Long, Ma LIn etc... trajectories that I pulled off and wish I could watch. Not enough to say I am great at weird sidespin counter looping but I can glimpse the direction in my stroke making, I know where I want to go, proceed....

That's probably enough of a reflection. Sleepy. More red wine needed.

Post subject: Playing too much
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2022, 17:28 
Super User

Very rarely do I not wish to play TT daily recently. There have been times I didn't feel like playing and went in and then really glad I did.

Today was not one of them.

Felt tired. My body was still sore from last night... and I had a short nap... overslept... so got to the club late...

And basically felt I had 50% of my energy to pour into my game. My game takes a lot of energy. Persevered but just didn't have that glow... Played much worse in all aspects as a result.

I think I should refrain from playing 2 days in a row in future. Sadly that will mean less time at the table which is a key ingredient to improvement.

But then there is quality. This is not a job. Something I often forgot today. I did remind myself that I was there to enjoy myself and nothing else is more important than that.

Apart from that general negative taste... I might have a negative reaction to this new glue I think. I think it is still degassing and I noticed today 3 or 4 points on my fingers that are all related to where I hold the blade on the rubbers during serves and the rest of the game.

I have heard of rubber allergies but I don't think I have noticed cracked skin, redness etc.. like this before with any of these companies products before.

That's why I spent the first hour playing with my grubba variant which is normal glued rubber. I still spent the last hour with my YSC at the end because I missed it a bit.

It was easy to compare differences.

I like the handle and general weight distribution of the YSC (and the thinner handle by far) + rubber combo better. The FXP is a touch lighter and contributes to this balance.
I like the Hurricane 8 black (39?) much better than Hurricane 3 38*. Even if it is more recently boosted and even has VOC in it.

I still have the H3 black 41 waiting to trial to see how I feel about it. A part of me feels like I did not boost these 3 new rubbers hard enough. I think some more tension is needed too. I should add a third layer of baby oil to the new H3 black...

---

I also added a very thin layer of veg oil to the top sheet (covered with the plastic for a few hours till absorbed) of H8 and H3 after testing the difference on the new PF4. I know you are meant to resort to these types of things with older rubbers, but it did clearly make them all a bit tackier. I'd say even with the new rubbers = tackier than first peeled!

It's amazing the durability of these old-schooled rubbers for maintaining playability. My H2s and H8s are not looking pretty but they are still as tacky as hell , softened up from their history of play and baby oil... so many hours of play and pealing them back off blades and they all play so well and don't tare like new age stuff.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2022, 19:06 
Super User

Was hard not going to play the last couple of days, but the rest was worth it. I wonder if I have some virus related to feeling overly tired/slow recovery from joint pain or if I'm just run down.

My power was up to about 75% still not enough but I know I had to play today because I'm working for a long stint ahead.

Stuck to YSC H3-38* FXP all 3 hours, but in the last 20 minutes started trying to use H3 on the BH... Seeing if I can just pull of the black FXP and put on the black H3.... extra control and spin for sure. No need to twiddle....

I know I can use H3 on BH (just sucks back from the court - especially on these slower wood blades). I can do amazing loops far back and the hook is insane angles... just not as good at the short stroke or punch or simple block.... Been here a million times and it is like a broken record. But the truth is I seem to be getting more and more consistent with Chinese rubbers.

I was BH chopping a bit... got used to everything just know though that I will have to try to play at the table...

---

Jeff beat me 3:0 but they were all deuce games and the first 2 it was 10:8 to me leading.

Anakin beat me the same.
Eric beat me the same.

I only beat Shaun 3:0...

Overall, I played worse but I was not in my zone. Hence toward the end I just chilled out and trialled the H3 BH.

---

I really like Jeff, he surprises me to talk and chat about things something in a bit more depth. I trialled briefly his National version H3. I liked it but didn't feel it was 300% better = to the price. I reckon it is worth $50 AUD and I would buy it but not a cent more. There is a stiffness to it that feels good... and thats all. Did not feel that tackier than my H3 red I've been complaining about. Couldn't tell if it's more forward kick was due to the harder blade under it.

---

In FH to FH my H3 was equal to be honest. My H3 38 was better for me and my spinnier game.

Jeff also said that my style suited the slower blade (should say vice versa): that I am more of spin oriented player.

---

Honestly today I felt good in my own space like I am improving, so the game score doesn't bother me. I was just missing a lot with my eyes and I had little patience. Not on it. Simple.

The number 1 thing is my head has to be in the right space and it wasn't.

---

I am up to 5th layer of baby oil on H3 41 and I'd glue it down now but since I'm not playing for a week... hmmm let it dry out a bit more and possibly see if she can take another drop.

4th layer is dry and would be curled if there wasn't such a border of unboosted rubber around it.
Yogi bear taught me that I should care about pressing down my rubber:
Yeah, I'm taking the Pi*s. The nearest thing to stopping the thing from doming and as a result pouring all of the 2 cents of booster off the side is fine.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 19:31 
Super User

Just had a short stint against my kid this evening. Nothing to report really. My main blades were in the car...

Played with Stiga off classic H2 black Pf4 red. H2 black is nicer for spin and accidental sidespin weirdness on BH and FH.

H2 has been a winner for me in the enduring price-to-spin ratio so far for all rubbers I have been playing in the last year or so.

Only H8 seems to be close... but I wonder if I could be bothered with H8 being quite a bit more expensive...

---

I don't imagine this final untested sheet of H3 will convince me that it is spinnier than that... but will test it soon.

---

Who knows... maybe I will end up just using both sides H2 again.

A very easy cheap combination to keep boosting up tacky rubbers that last and last.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 20:36 
Super User

The Hurricane 3 black 41 is glued down and is just as tacky as the new red 3 38 and PF4...

With 5 long layers of oil and this VOC glue it was super tense.

I played half the time with double H3 on the YSC. I love everything about it except there are many time I can't get the ball over the net with the BH, when it is a shot I am not expecting and don't have time to form the stroke.

Hurricane 3 black 41 feels softer than the red 38 probably because I gave it more layers of oil.

So my feeliing is to get the most boost/tension choose the hardest and then boost to desired.

*Note I did not stretch hard any of these 3 new rubbers. They would all be more catapult if I did while putting them down on the blade....

That is the what if factor that bugs me. The Hurricane 8 I played with might have been much more stretched so it feels by far the most catapulty and modern.

Even though my Hurricane 8 is tackier than the new Hurricane 3's the hurricane 3s all seem to produce more spin I believe because of their spin to speed ratio. Yes Hurricane 3 is slow as hell unless you go for it and then it produces much more insane sidespinny rainbows all day long. Same thing though... If I don't expect the shot and don't form the full stroke, Hurricane 8 is better for easier speed....

Oddly Hurricane 3 is also better at all table slow stuff because it has zero catapult.... Serves are often too short until I get used to it.

---

It's a dam hard choice to make between all these rubbers as a result.

---

I won't get to play for a while (few days) but I reckon I should try regluing these new ones and try to stretch them a lot more.

---

If it is not the stretching in the gluing down phase... if H8 really is more easily catapulty... maybe it is worth trying H8 on my BH as a middle ground?

---

I think I had more luck with counter looping with the H3 than the H8 though... Again I think H3 is very much a control rubber like they say on the packet. What my FH needs... even if I like the H8 for its easier 'passiveer' shots.

---

Problem with giving up something like MXP is that the big changes the oppoent experiences even at the table. The same small effort push or block is extremely different lengths on the table between MXP and any of the Chinese rubbers. Which I believe is kind of essential to disrupt the opponents rhythm.

---

Played only 2 hours tonight with Saive.. 1.5 hrs of just practise and 30 minutes of games. Beat him 4:0. I feel the consistency gap got much bigger tonight.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 13:37 
Super User

As I said, I would pull off the H3 black 41... Came off easily (love DHS strong rubber) and it still has a dome.
Even though I didn't need to add more glue to the rubber.... I did. But now I am happy with the rubber and will stretch it as much as possible I also glued the blade.

YEAH I don't care if the glue is rough as guts. It still domed even more.
Yay for not caring about enz
I am not holding the top of the rubber. You can see she is going to want to bend up!
Ended up stretching it by at least a CM.

I did leave a few mm on the end of it when I cut it when I got to the club... but 3 hours later I should not have... now there is blade showing as it has shrunk back a bit.

---

I played Hurricane 3 on both sides of the YSC all day.

So played with Eric and Shaun for about 2.5 hours of total play. (I lost 30 mins to sitting out because there were 3 of us)
We played most of the time just best of 3 (2 matches in a row and then sit out).

I redeemed my last day of loss to Eric. He couldn't get a game off me and in some games I slaughtered him. Only Shaun got 1 game off me (The first of the day....)

Progressively throughout the time, I felt more and more that Hurricane on both sides suits my style by far. It has limitations when I wish I could just get that easy speed sometimes but man when you bow to what it allows you to excel at!

FH and BH were probably as consistent at attacking constantly as ever. Yes because it is slower you slowly find yourself going for counter looping all the time.

My BH in particular was looping the hell out of everything right off the bounce. (place of shine for this rubber) So much more control in doing this than with any of the ESN rubbers I have played with. It's just got the tack and smaller catapult to do it.

I still killed some insane high-speed shots on both wings and with tons of side-top spin.

I was positioning the ball at such extremer angles with easy touches making the boys run for their lives side to side.

And those lovely shots that usually would go out long when defending... just land at the end of the table with a lovely surprise. I often was surprised and my opponents thinking that I had missed.... SO PASSIVE SLOW HAS ITS ADVANTAGES.

---
The black in this state of boosting and VOC was clearly more dynamic than the red. (I did twiddle) All I know is that now that I understand how to boost very well with no problems of the rubbers coming off, I am buying the hardest degrees from now on. They end up being more tensioned and have more kick!

---

I must take a step back and say when I came back to TT over a year ago, the first rubbers I bought were Hurricane 3 but in those 50 sponges and I ended up hating them... I messed around with LP and Evolution series and the rasanter 37 briefly...

But I don't think any of those satisfy my need for spin to be able to lay the speed into the shots as consistently as these hurricanes.

I am not 100% sold on double Chinese yet... but in all honesty, there is nothing that has so many gears and can spin it up...

Tenergy 05 has got it alright but It doesn't have this slow side - it is more one-dimensional.

---

I will update this post with my TT thoughts soon...

Post subject: pull the trigger!
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2022, 12:15 
Super User

Usual quiet Wednesday at the club with Eric for 2 hours.

The game score in the last 30 mins was about 6:2 (me winning), but most of them were close.

It was frustrating as usual where we can do all our great stuff in the free practice but then in games, we both seem to just make lots of errors and then end up playing a new style we don't usually practice: careful getting the ball on the table.

I am not happy with this because it has been repeated many times over the last year playing him in particular. But it is common I feel against others in competition. I think it is unpredictability for some part, since you just don't know where the ball will land and also we want to win and do what ever that takes for the books.

Although as usual, I felt H3 on bh was too slow to just get the ball on the table, I think I gain more advantage in this 'real-world' scenario. Most of your game will always start and end at the table and if you don't/can't or whatever it is that makes you seize up a bit then as I joke all the time, we should just use short pimples and never attack.

Meaning we train to do this and that, but in the end, who gets the ball on the table wins. For us two that seems to be what we ultimately revert to once all else doesn't want to happen.

So yeah, Hurricane 3 is a control rubber and my YSC blade is a control-blade so I find I am in the right spot for this as long as I do a bit of effort further away. NOT JUST BLOCK... because just blocking from a distance will not get over the net.

ACTION!!!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2022, 16:48 
Super User

An extension of yesterday....

I got all the shots now, but I do end up reverting a lot to fishing dropping balls, and I don't think I remember watching opponents miss so much in my life. This blade and H3 just allows for 'snakish' side spinny dribble endlessly and I started mixing chops and half loops of too, that you can't see what I have added since they are under the table.

Feel like an evil bartender sometimes :devil: :D

---

Massive day

Beat Shaun, Radana (easily: struggled a bit last time), Eric, Yuki.

---

As I said...apart from my overall improved everything shots. My short game has just gone through the roof. (countless 'rallies' of short touch x3/5 times over the net against opponents waiting for an attack) A lot of these sh*&y returns of serves I used to do I am now just clean sidespinning chopping that cause insane problems with angles....

Having all the attack possible but now just being able to block chop short double bounce is devastating for the opponent waiting far back.

---

I am pretty sold on H3 41 as my FH rubber into the future as long as I never bother comparing it to H2 H8. H3 on BH has given me tons of amazing winning potential even though it has its weaknesses. Yet, I think I do need probably to leave that BH a bit more open to something else.

The longer I play with it on bh the more I think I can give up all Euro style there .... just probably settle on something a bit more forward drivy/punchy in the H series so H8 maybe.

---

I was noticing that I couldn't produce as much severe backspin with the H3 41 though... (still my serve was crazy consistent and problematic) It is the control factor of placement short with very small differences that is most important...

All up, my whole game was on fire today. Some of it is using the right equipment, more of it is that I have invested so much time at the table.

Love the sport. It can break your heart, and also inspire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next