OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: TIMBER 5 DEF
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2023, 19:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
boz wrote:
So Just Table Tennis the website is legit.

Aren't they the same company as Affordablett? I always thought they were, but target international buyers, which is why prices are shown ex-GST. The product lines are pretty much the same, including the Radak brand which is AffordableTTs.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2023, 19:46 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
Hagg, I ordered this blade a long time ago from affordable, when they had ST option listed. I got an email later saying they actually didn't have ST and refunded me.

https://www.affordablett.com.au/shop/an ... -3304.html (see there is no ST option)

Just TT delivered it way faster than I expected. So doesn't sound like they are related.

Yes I thought the website seemed a little dodgy but I am happy they delivered on que.

---

EDIT: I just stood the blades up and the Andro blade is a CM+ longer mostly in the head. a touch in the handle.

Post subject: Re: TIMBER 5 DEF
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2023, 21:14 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
haggisv wrote:
boz wrote:
So Just Table Tennis the website is legit.

Aren't they the same company as Affordablett? I always thought they were, but target international buyers, which is why prices are shown ex-GST. The product lines are pretty much the same, including the Radak brand which is AffordableTTs.

I think Just TT is run by one of Robert's in laws

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2023, 06:01 
Super User

I have spent a few hours of play with a couple of players with the DEF 5 blade and H3 41 x2 now.

No real surprises. Slower, Spinnier everywhere, more control everywhere except passive shots out of position from a distance.

I still have memories of the Sweden sitting better in my hand though. So it will take a while to come to conclusion which I prefer of the two blades. The DEF feels nicer than the Grubba though.

I can still hit, smash, loop very fast shots with the def, but by default it shines at the touchy short stuff. I may be noticing that I will be more inclined to rally a few more shots before I win a point on average though. It is just more time for the player to reach shots.. unless I play more extreme angles. That I will have to start training into my mind. I need to avoid that centre triangle a bit more.

Because there is increased dwell I can't drive so easily, the ball goes up a lot more, so I will end up doing a lot more side spin chopping the ball = avoiding the equator of the spinning topspin coming at me.

Not super sold on the 41 on the BH at the moment. I am not dippng in deep enough into the rubber unless I really have a go on it.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2023, 16:14 
Super User

Last top of the table I didn't lose a game with the def blade, just didn't get out of the doubles sections...

There were no problems then nor today against Eric and Rohnan. Eric couldn't get a game and the new guy from Las Vegas. Eric after I asked him about my speed, he noticed no change. Rohnan hearing on commented that my game is hard to get used to. The main point is the touch/short shots.

So there you have it. What I believe to.

I maintain my game, but can now slow it right down ridiculously short. They are scared to run back from a big shot that I do because if they get it back I may just drop shot the next one instead of welcoming them into a rally.

Still not sold on the BH rubber... particularly on the overall bat weight. Also, can I penetrate the 41 sponge enough most of the time? Sometimes I can for sure. But percentage wise I doubt it.

Thinking of trialing FXP on bh for a session or swapping over the 38* onto the def.

Post subject: almost poisoned myself
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2023, 16:36 
Super User

I said I would never ever use Rasanter 37 again. But the weight in the blade and because it is so slow I decided to give it another go.

The scariest thing is I almost poisoned myself just now.

I gave the bottle of half baby oil and tyre glue a shake and didn't notice that even when it is super tightly closed it is still can ooze out. I wiped my mouth after that and got a dollop of the mixture to the lips. I instantly ran to the bathroom and began rinsing. I even washed my mouth with some hand wash. I could notice the chemicals in my mouth and probably spat out the water at least a 1000 times.

If I die tomorrow, remember this!

Anyhow my mouth still has a weird taste.

---

All my rubbers are so much smaller, and this image doesn't do justice to the fact since closer things look bigger.

You can see that the H3 41 still billows from the oil after removal from the blade weeks later. And I have not applied the poison all the way to the edges on the R37, it will take 24+ hours to dry. No rush because this weekend I am stuffed from work and not in a hurry.

I do expect this to be a long shot for me to like the rubber on this defensive blade. FXP is probably the next trial if not the H3 38...

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2023, 12:28 
Super User

Surprise surprise!

The rasanter 37 was lovely on the DEF. Not great at everything but I seemed to adjust to it very quickly and it was a bit of breath of fresh air being able to hit into the blade on every shot. It really suits this blade. I really wasn't expecting this.

So much quicker and punchier with less effort. Still spinny enough. With the def blade it is still controllable = good length when blocking.

The worst is pushing back serves/touch shots. But just have to do that less.

The best is punching.

---

Didn't lose a game to Eric after countless games. Only lost 1 to Michael after countless games. Didn't lose a game to the Romanian guy played about 5 I think.

---

I am wondering if this set up now is a keeper!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2023, 22:48 
Super User

Almost 3 weeks I have been too tired to play or had not time to.

Tonight I played with Yury and Shaun (the newish guy quite a high level but rustyish)

I totally owned Shaun for countless /10+ more games, probably better than I remember last time playing him. Yury too I beat but thats to be expected.

---

Got about 3.5 hours with the same set up. Not keen to move and compare at all right now. It is just a joy.

So Shaun as a left handed experienced player has very tricky serves that I think were much harder to deal with when I had H3 on my bh too. H3 for service return on the bh requires much more dealing with the spin as the rubber is just as reactive.

With the rasanter 37 I got into an old groove of just rolling the ball back on sidespin serves. You can't do that with H3. R37 is kind of toward the pimple end of the spectrum in that regard because when you roll back the serve I constantly cause all kind of headaches for the server when they seem to get a great deal of their own sidespin back.

---

Both the rubbers seem to have lost all the VOC now and the H3 is tacky now and the R37 has lost the zttttt speed glue sound but still has a lovely clack of soft rubbers.

---

I remember thinking a few weeks ago to trial a softer version of H3 on FH to reduce weight but tonight everything was so tuned in perfectly that that is the wrong direction.

I am using Hurricane 3 in it's the hardest commercial version which I would say on this defensive blade is probably the spinniest possible combo ever + the most controlled + the best serving + the most touch shoty I can ever settle on.

I still surprise myself when I think in all my playing history that I could never get used to Chinese fh but feel I can't leave it now. Thank F*&k because it is also the cheapest.

---

Tonight I pulled off some insane backhands that were also beautiful audibly.

---

My setup = I have the extremes of spin, and speed all at my fingertips and the weight and feeling is true. It doesn't feel fake or heavy or thick. It feels deeply complex.

---

With R37 I can't loop up under the table height with as much insanity angles but I can punch/drive with more viciousness.

WE ALL KNOW THERE IS GIVE AND TAKE SOMEWHERE.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2023, 17:07 
Super User

Been a while since I posted because I haven't played much and didn't feel like I had much substance to put my finger on.

I like the speed, and feeling of the Andro defensive blade more than the noticeable forward kick of the Sweden blade.

I do not like the enlarged size and weight that comes with it especially if I one day need to add more rubber to its larger area.

I have more control with the hurricane 3 38 overall on my backhand and the higher arcing trajectory similarly allows me to attack more shots, more often and with more spin... slower but ultimately probably more my style.

I tried giving the rasanter a fair go and it's such a joy when I pull off the same amount of energy input shot but achieve lighting laser beam drives.... but they just are not as sure. My same stroke with Rasanter tends to go straight into the net if not long. I reckon Rasanter will probably make my backhand lazier in the future because just feels like a safer short-stroke type of inducing rubber. Timing has to be on point with a smaller window still so thats a kind of oxymoron.

Doubt I want to stuff around with cutting the size down of the defensive blade.

Was basically undefeated at top of the table today except for 1 game against Dan 9:9 the bell rang and he won the following serve... But I also won the first game of the session against him cleanly.

Good day of play although I worked today and barely slept the night before.

My forehand feels as good as it's gonna get when I don't air swing. Shame I have lost confidence in my backhand loop... which is kind of a spanner in the works again to settle with the rasanter.

---

Thinking of putting whatever softer (because should be lighter) Hurricanes on the defensive blade for a session or two.

dunno

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2023, 17:02 
Super User

Had a good long session mostly with Shadi, who I beat in matches. We had some spectacular rallies, always enjoy playing two wing loopers similar to me. My conclusions from yesterday still hold true. Lost to Dennis who I haven't in a very long time. 2:1... He was more consistent and I just was not... which is kind of a testament to the lack of control I feel with the rasanter (but can't just blame the rubber) I was pretty tired by then too but he played better regardless. Yury the tall SP fh guy was no problem beat him 4:1.

I guess if I have to boil the decision down to one simple fact, I'd say my favorite shot in table tennis is not suited to rasanter. The backhand side spin loop from a metre or two back from the table is a way I guard a large area of court too. I need the hurricane for that. It's got the ability to put the right amount of spin and not too soft bottoming out too early required for it.
---

So I have brought both my bats upstairs to transplant the H3 38 over to the def blade. I hit the ball really dam hard with my FH so don't think I will be able to settle with a softer H3 there.... can twiddle to try it out first anyways...

---

I am so knackered! Beer time. And will ponder buying another 38 degrees H3 red (maybe black too)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 10:14 
Super User

The purpose of this post about the latest play is whether or not I order 2 more rubbers to actually fit my Andro timber 5 Def.

played many sessions since the last post with a range of combinations of equipment possible at hand.

The difference between Sweden Classic and andro def is about 1 foot on the table as it seems to me when blocking. So fair easy points are made there when near the table defending and well further back its a trade of with how much time you have to get it back to the table. If you can form a stroke DEf blade is better, if not a faster blade is better. I am stuck between these two blades. I often play a touch further back so that I have a chance to counterattack.

I spent time with Hurricane 3 38 on FH on the def blade. I can get used to it. Probably feels better for counter-looping than the H341 on the Sweden classic which feels so much faster for FH looping lower percentage over the table grazing (because of the hardness of the blade).

I am leaning to 38 degrees for weight and penetration on service mostly. Overall, I feel Hurricane 38 on the Def is better for FH for parts of the game that are always present and any non-tacky is better for BH as usual conventional wisdom would tell us.

Both are fun but alternatives.

I THINK I WILL ORDER ANOTHER 2 RUBBERS.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2023, 17:46 
Super User

Won top of the table second week in a row again.

But let's say last week I could beat Quang Tran about 5:1 in games but this week was exactly the opposite (this is matches played after the comp between us). I swapped around the two blades and couldn't really improve enough.

Mainly, today I felt my FH is falling behind again. It is heading to unco land. It's like it degenerating. I have probably spent too much of my little time at the table playing competition at lower levels (important but not the only important thing).

I remember a time last year I used to spend about an hour of each session just doing forehand to forehand and various distances till it felt I knew my mechanics were built in without thinking.... that's where I have to spend time again.

AND STOP CHANGING fn BATS.

I felt overall I have more control with the Andro blade and the H3 38 on FH. I was overshooting in FH counter looping with the 41 on Sweden classic because it is that much faster (but that is against a really good powerlooper like Quang. His attack shots just killed me today. It was so good to be beaten by him doing these shots because it reminds me of the style I used to have:

attack first before they attack because its dam hard to defend against those.

But if you don't practise attacking early (being careful first) then no love is going to happen in matches. I just felt today I was unco in attacking early, and trying to defend was coming up short against a player who is on fire.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2023, 09:17 
Super User

Im so P*&^D off!

I was so excited to put on my new fxs I just bought for $65 from the club. I wanted to do everything legal for the euro rubber and not stretch it hard.

This was an expensive glue I bought a few months ago. It worked fine the first time..... This time it just went cottage cheese on me. Like it instantly dried before being able to spread it out.

I just pealing as much as possible off but it just won't come off without it ripping off parts of the sponge. Stuck between holes in the sponge or a crappy uneven surface, I have chosen to just coat it with my illegal glue. At least I don't have torn sponge.

I am really upset that this happened and this is not a cheap glue. I refuse to use this laytex crap again. I have had problems with it ripping the hell out of sponges in the past. This just 'cemented' (pun) my decision to never use water glue again.

---

The hurricane 3 I am not going to add more than one layer of half glue half baby oil mixture. I was planning to keep these rubbers as light as possible because you can see just how large the blade head is.

frustratedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

I have tried MXP and found it too fast lacking spin. I tried MXS and found it similar and too hard. FXP feels like a light nothing special quicker tensor bh rubber is quite good for control... but thought to try the FXS for a touch more spin and hardness/stability.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2023, 18:01 
Super User

After the usual few hours at the club yesterday with the new set up I am not much surprised.

1. The overall bat feels heavy and a lot of flicky type of serves (less flowing types) were too hard to pull off repeatedly. Still spinny as hell for most other stuff. Just have to give it lots of effort all the time.
2. FXS was a tad unpredictable - s*&t glue job and speed glue vapours probably still don't help.

3. This is a long dwell +++ time set up. The whole thing has pleasant vibrations.

----

The main thing is the weight that I have to really get used to. Not sure I can to be honest.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 12:39 
Super User

Got a 2.5 hours in this morning with players I can make a good gauge against.

Firstly, my bat has settled a bit with the speed glue effect mostly seeming to be gone.

FXP feels like an everyday boring tensor compared to FXS which I am using now. FXS feels more complex. FXS has a dead zone at the soft touch end of things. Really can just tap stuff and get not much response from it. Softly dig in halfway and it's a breeze to return everything really low and slow and give nothing for the opponent to work with. But then fully engage it, it gets some big ass catapult. Will take a bit more getting used to but I reckon fxs is a keeper mostly.

I think its around 40 degrees esn mark so pretty perfect for most players on the backhand. fxp is softer and the Rasanter 37 really is a novelty light rubber.

---

My Hurricane 3 40 degrees is pretty dam hard because I didn't oil it up like my previous versions. Still, I felt tons of control. Bit more getting used to, and I probably would prefer 38 degrees... but this is good enough.

---

So I beat everyone I played overall today. Including Daniel Hwang who beat me on Saturday in two short games. I wasn't used to the rubbers two days ago but today I felt we were much more evenly matched with the added practice getting used to time.

I haven't devastated Eric so badly as I did today. I felt the FXS and the H3 could control all of his serves with low slow deadish returns and when I was ready for an attack I could be pretty dam consistent.

I also beat Shano cleanly more than in the past but I won't take shine off him because he hasn't played in months.

---

Overall I felt massive amounts of control today. I feel I have designed the bat that spin more than anyone else's, slow down the game more than anyone else, and I can still rip power into it (with effort of course).

Fun 50th birthday for me too! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next