OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 04:39 
Super User

OMG ! :o He has changed the blade AND the BH rubber :headbang: Now many people who followed have to reconsider, as well :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 09:44 

This has been the most awesome topic ever!
I wish I had been through the same training in my days...
The way you describe your style of playing - it's some 90% the way I play myself.
I love blocking and don't want to give it up - it's just so much fun :)
And I don't chop much from my FH - I prefer attacking if the ball is long enough.
I wish we could play sometime.

Just a question:
Say if you encountered a player of your own level and very similar style, what would be your tactics?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 14:47 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
SpongyPipsSamurai wrote:
The way you describe your style of playing - it's some 90% the way I play myself.
And I don't chop much from my FH - I prefer attacking if the ball is long enough.

Just a question:
Say if you encountered a player of your own level and very similar style, what would be your tactics?

serve only long....push short and power loop to his middle....don't chop, try to change your style to something that i wouldn't want to play against.

if he chops, use your pips to give no spin to his backhand...

if he loops then block short with backspin with your pips...

this gives the opposite of what he wants

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 15:51 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Leatherback, are you going back to China? When? For how long? Will you bring a camera ;)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 19:27 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
leatherback wrote:
SpongyPipsSamurai wrote:

Just a question:

serve only long....push short and power loop to his middle....don't chop, try to change your style to something that i wouldn't want to play against.

By coincidence I also needed that advise, so thx, leatherback. :up:

I encountered such a club mate yesterday and to be honest: it wasn't fun playing. Not because of his style, but because of his attitude. Remember: he's right-handed, I'm left-handed. Arrogant. During warm up he just hits the ball very hard (almost no spin at all) when I returned the balls with my inverted on the backhand. When I twiddled and warmed up my pips, he chopped the first ball and then pushed the follwing one(s) to my forehand. When I asked to warm up my forehand, he gave me balls that were mostly out of reach. He also didn't want me to warm up against his pips too much: maybe I've hit 10 balls to his pips before match start. During the match I chopped one of his topspin attacks and he tried to hit it. It went into the net off course. He said to himself out loud to hit it even harder, which is stupid because it will always end up in the net. I've beaten this guy before when I was not in good shape and I always felt this guy is jealous of me, probably because I have a better technique than him and we are the same style. i'm still under his rating, though.

I wanted to get this out of my system, but I also have a question. When you encounter such players who don't let you warm up decently and they hit balls out of reach, is it appropiate then to also hit balls to him out of his reach? Because I'm planning to do that next time... Maybe the respect will be a bit greater then.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 19:41 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Lorre wrote:
leatherback wrote:
SpongyPipsSamurai wrote:

Just a question:

I encountered such a club mate yesterday and to be honest: it wasn't fun playing. Not because of his style, but because of his attitude. Remember: he's right-handed, I'm left-handed. Arrogant. During warm up he just hits the ball very hard (almost no spin at all) when I returned the balls with my inverted on the backhand. When I twiddled and warmed up my pips, he chopped the first ball and then pushed the follwing one(s) to my forehand. When I asked to warm up my forehand, he gave me balls that were mostly out of reach. He also didn't want me to warm up against his pips too much: maybe I've hit 10 balls to his pips before match start. During the match I chopped one of his topspin attacks and he tried to hit it. It went into the net off course. He said to himself out loud to hit it even harder, which is stupid because it will always end up in the net. I've beaten this guy before when I was not in good shape and I always felt this guy is jealous of me, probably because I have a better technique than him and we are the same style. i'm still under his rating, though.

I wanted to get this out of my system, but I also have a question. When you encounter such players who don't let you warm up decently and they hit balls out of reach, is it appropiate then to also hit balls to him out of his reach? Because I'm planning to do that next time... Maybe the respect will be a bit greater then.

Sorry for hi-jackin Leatherbacks blog a little. Just a quick advice for you Lorre. It sounds like your opponent is trying to get you out of balance before the match has even started. Not a good sportsmenship! But it slso sounds like he succeded a little. You will always have to face guys like this and you need to finmd a way to deal with it. Getting back on him is a good way but do it as a good sportsman, don't use his way of doing it, that will only take away your own focus (just what he wants). And perhaps you will get a bad rep. Let him warm up but don't reveal your best shots. If he won't let you warm up talk to his team captain or somthing like that but after the match. Never let go of the focus before and during the match.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 20:40 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Def-attack wrote:
Sorry for hi-jackin Leatherbacks blog a little. Just a quick advice for you Lorre. It sounds like your opponent is trying to get you out of balance before the match has even started. Not a good sportsmenship! But it slso sounds like he succeded a little. You will always have to face guys like this and you need to finmd a way to deal with it. Getting back on him is a good way but do it as a good sportsman, don't use his way of doing it, that will only take away your own focus (just what he wants). And perhaps you will get a bad rep. Let him warm up but don't reveal your best shots. If he won't let you warm up talk to his team captain or somthing like that but after the match. Never let go of the focus before and during the match.

Thx DA. To be clear: it was just a "friendly" match in a club atmosphere, not a real one. When I get back to him, it will be with a smile like I always play TT. It's just: I need to warm up before I can play my game, i.e. I need to feel the ball. That's what this guy didn't let me experience with his "warm up" and it was too visible he did it on purpose. He also saw me train the last couple of months like a maniac against another pip player (who I controlled when looping to his pips) and maybe that's why he did it? BTW he's the team captain of his team (not mine, but the one above mine) and an important member of the club. Happily I had a great hit afterwards with one of the youngsters. That kid can't stop talking when he's near a TT table... :lol: He also complemented me afterwards being a very good practice partner (a compliment I already received several times in the past).

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 00:47 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Def-attack wrote:
Leatherback, are you going back to China? When? For how long? Will you bring a camera ;)

i should be perhaps in september....but not for a bit...i plan to go for another 4 month session in the next 2 years!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 00:50 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Lorre wrote:
leatherback wrote:
SpongyPipsSamurai wrote:

Just a question:

i just make sure to warm up with a good partner before hand so i have everything i need...

if he keeps hitting them out of your reach just take a LONG time to go get the ball...

he will get the message.... and if he does it's his loss because then he doesn't get any warm up...

but make sure you are warmed up before the match

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 09:46 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Lorre wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Thx DA. To be clear: it was just a "friendly" match in a club atmosphere, not a real one. When I get back to him, it will be with a smile like I always play TT. It's just: I need to warm up before I can play my game, i.e. I need to feel the ball. That's what this guy didn't let me experience with his "warm up" and it was too visible he did it on purpose. He also saw me train the last couple of months like a maniac against another pip player (who I controlled when looping to his pips) and maybe that's why he did it? BTW he's the team captain of his team (not mine, but the one above mine) and an important member of the club. Happily I had a great hit afterwards with one of the youngsters. That kid can't stop talking when he's near a TT table... :lol: He also complemented me afterwards being a very good practice partner (a compliment I already received several times in the past).

A little sad to see those things (and all hostility that it causes) happen in a so called friendly club atmosphere. And I'm glad I haven't had any experience with it. In our club, it sometimes happen that we practice (or 'warm up') against each other for quite a long time before really starting a match. And we try to help each other as much as possible, after all... we're club mates. And moreover, I find it rather challenging to try to win a match after my opponent 'got used' to my pips. It urges me to be more creative and bring variation in the match.

And really, I wouldn't even consider to play one single ball against a club member who deliberately tries to get me out of balance with such a childish behavior... for just a friendly match. And Lorre, I agree with Def-attack: forget about the 'revenge' thing doing the same kind of behavior. Ignore the guy or just try to beat him by being very focused and calm ^_^

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 19:12 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
leatherback wrote:
Lorre wrote:

i just make sure to warm up with a good partner before hand so i have everything i need...

if he keeps hitting them out of your reach just take a LONG time to go get the ball...

he will get the message.... and if he does it's his loss because then he doesn't get any warm up...

but make sure you are warmed up before the match

I make the same thing, I Warm Up with my partner like 15 minutes.
Cause the opponent dont have to warm up you before the match,
Sometimes the player is anxious and dont hit the ball rigth or miss a lot in the warming with his opponent.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 00:54 
Super User

Lorre wrote:

Oh this subject touches a nerve with me. I made a thread about it not too long ago.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20973

Long story short, I found (it's slightly better now) that a high % of club members warm up for a match like we're playing points.

Ultimately what I do is I'll ask if we can go counter hit to counter hit to warm up and gesture where to hit it. If they do so? Great.

If they don't or continue to try to hit winners or try to run me around the table, at first I'll simply not even try to go after a ball or if it's apparent they're not interested in letting me get warm I'll just let them know that we can just start the game if we're not going to get warm. I've only had to do that maybe once or twice as it's kinda a passive aggressive statement letting them know that's not how you warm up.

But one thing is for sure. If they're not going to let me warm up, I'm certainly not going to continue to feed them balls to let them get warm. It goes both ways.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 01:08 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Pipsy wrote:
A little sad to see those things (and all hostility that it causes) happen in a so called friendly club atmosphere. And I'm glad I haven't had any experience with it. In our club, it sometimes happen that we practice (or 'warm up') against each other for quite a long time before really starting a match. And we try to help each other as much as possible, after all... we're club mates. And moreover, I find it rather challenging to try to win a match after my opponent 'got used' to my pips. It urges me to be more creative and bring variation in the match.

And really, I wouldn't even consider to play one single ball against a club member who deliberately tries to get me out of balance with such a childish behavior... for just a friendly match. And Lorre, I agree with Def-attack: forget about the 'revenge' thing doing the same kind of behavior. Ignore the guy or just try to beat him by being very focused and calm ^_^

I find it sad too and I often warm up with guys for a long time before playing a match (if that happens, because we often just train for more than an hour). Trying to help the other is also part of that training. I also find it challenging to win a match after the "opponent" got used to the pips. So no other attitude from my part...

But then you have that part of the club that just warms up like this guy and wants to play a game as soon as possible. He even asked to play a match and maybe I should have answered I'd rather not to. The worst part of the whole thing is those are the guys who are higher ranked, like they are scared to lose in one way or another. I can't find another explanation. Of all higher ranked players I only know one player who can train for hours if he wants to. He produces massive spin and is fun to play with, in training and in a training match.

Maybe something I also noticed is that one of those players (not the guy I was talking about, but another one) tends to play really aggressive against me: an all-or-nothing game. At this moment I can't find an answer to his game, but that's not important. What I find more important is that he plays a lot less agressive against someone who has a quite similar style like me (pips on the backhand, OX ones, and a very spinny forehand and he's also left-handed). I followed one of their friendly matches and it's like the ball isn't moving forward in their game when you compare it with a match of mine against him.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 01:13 
Joo Too
Joo Too

suds79 wrote:
Oh this subject touches a nerve with me. I made a thread about it not too long ago.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20973

Long story short, I found (it's slightly better now) that a high % of club members warm up for a match like we're playing points.

Ultimately what I do is I'll ask if we can go counter hit to counter hit to warm up and gesture where to hit it. If they do so? Great.

If they don't or continue to try to hit winners or try to run me around the table, at first I'll simply not even try to go after a ball or if it's apparent they're not interested in letting me get warm I'll just let them know that we can just start the game if we're not going to get warm. I've only had to do that maybe once or twice as it's kinda a passive aggressive statement letting them know that's not how you warm up.

But one thing is for sure. If they're not going to let me warm up, I'm certainly not going to continue to feed them balls to let them get warm. It goes both ways.

Thx for the advise, suds79, and I'll follow it along with the other advise. I'll see what works and what doesn't, but in any case I now have a couple of options to try out against those tiring people, along with the knowledge I'm not the only one who experiences something like this. Back to leatherback's journey! :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 02:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Reminds me of what S-Jan said back on Usenet - he didn't want his opponent to get used to his pips so he'd deliberately spray balls all over the place during the warmup.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25