OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 03:26 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I guess it must be a cultural thing then. I've never played TT where a draw is possible in Australia.

Most UK local league is 10 games too.

185g

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 17:50 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

A few questions around the forums have made me recollect previous (more or less brief) encounters with different rubbers on different blades. I guess that has been at least as useful to me as it was to the posters of those questions. Thanks, all (and excuse my gab)!

Notes to self (EJ boogyman bait :P ):
  • If I want to stray a bit from my control oriented strategy for more attack and/or more disruptive/hard-to-read returns, the Air Upupupup in some incarnation may be a good way to go.
  • If my experiment with Palio CK531A OX turns out to be disappointing, I could also try the Dawei 388D-1 in OX before going back to the sponged Palio.
  • For tempo changes the Gambler Reflectoid works well, even on a very fast blade (and paired with Thor's!). Milky Way Earth on a Re-Impact Dr. Barath is at least as slow as that Reflectoid setup. Harder sponge and tacky topsheet on Earth.
    To test: Get a sheet of Reflectoid on 1,5mm sponge for the Barath, and move that Earth sheet to some fast stiff (carbon?) blade.
  • I have to get a sheet of Friendship 804 some time, just so see if it is as slow and controlled as I recall. I never could play well with any other anti, but that "half anti" may provide an interesting path.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 18:00 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Keme, your post has caused the EJ Boogyman's brain to shortcircuit...he surrenders...

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 01:48 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

A few notes again...

I have had a few combinations on the Re-Impact Dr.Barath, and I find that it is really good with inverted rubber. OK with Palio CJ8000 on their softest sponge, and excellent with Dawei Navigator/Inspirit. LP rubber does not feel right for me on that blade. Tried a few OX as well as sponged.

The other Re-Impact blade (Swift-something?) is perfect with LP. I'm not yet comfortable with OX, but will keep it for a few more sessions at least. Most likely I will revert to sponged CK531A, which felt better for everything except passive blocks (which I don't use a lot anyway). Definitely my main setup now.

Cleaning out the basement, and behold! the old Stiga Stellan blade. About a year ago I filled haircracks on both sides of the handle with cyanoacrylate glue, then forgot all about it. Now I thought I'd fix it properly.
The LKT glue would still smear, but I managed to remove it well. Fixed some serious chipping around the edge with wood putty, and sealed it with two thin coats of PU laquer (just rubbed on). It's thin, flexible and light: 76g and 5.1mm thick. Attached those Palio rubbers that were "just OK" on the Dr. Barath. Fairly thin sponge, so the finished weight is only 151g, edge tape and all. Feels more stable than before, and also it looks like those cracks won't open, so I'm looking forward to have some real hits with it.

Oh, well. No TT today. Had a lot of rain for the last couple of days, and today the sun is shining, which makes the grass grow. Mowing time...

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 14:49 
Super User

I mow my lawn with a black n decker string trimmer, good for mowing here and there so I can easily escape to pp club and btw I do not live in a shoe box. :)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 19:16 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

It's been a while since I updated this space. Nothing to mention, really, until now. Friday I went to the doctor, pain in the left arm that wouldn't go away. Doc says it is tendonitis, both ends of biceps. Advice is to take anti-inflammatory pills and let the arm rest mostly. Trouble is, this Sunday was big tournament day for us. I deciced my arm didn't feel so bad...

The first class to compete in was the "Open" class, i.e. no restrictions on player rating. I expected to take a beating, and so I did. Good to see that those powerloopers were somewhat disturbed by blocks and drives from my pip side, but even so, I couldn't handle the energy level of their game. Took 4-5 points in my best sets, lost in 3 in both matches in the preliminary round, and that was it. Warmup round, sort of. Arm still felt fine...

I also played in the "D" class, lowest of the graded classes, so I would be facing players from around my rating and up to around 200 above. First match was against one club coach, and he was not much disturbed by the pip returns. I could still use the pips to good effect for placement and attacking against underspin. Not enough, so I lost in 3 again. Next match against a younger player. Strong loops, but that was it. He could not quite figure out how to handle the spin coming from me (which was mostly his own spin, and no spin where he expected spin). Tendonitis starting to bother me, but I beat him in 4.
He didn't say anything about it to my face, but his talking to teammates between sets (and also the looks he sent me after the match) did indicate that he felt he lost to my equipment, not to me. Oh, well. Enough mindreading...

One win was enough to qualify for the elimination rounds. First match was against a player around my rating and age. I had seen him play, and thought I should normally beat him. Trouble was, my arm was now really not good. Tried to change to my right, but I still use my left for balance, so technique lost and nothing gained. Completed the match as the lefthander I am, but using passive strokes nearly all the time, and lost in 5. FAILURE
His next match was against a player I have around 50/50 record against, and the one who beat me, lost badly...

Rating down 6 pts. after the tournament. Not a severe drop, but still, I would have done better by not playing.
Moral of the story: Listen to the doc. He probably knows best. Keeping away from the game for the rest of the year, I guess.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 20:06 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Series matches last Saturday. Our regional 5th division is down to 4 teams this season, so we can play a full round in one day. I played the supporter role this time, and a few other players could not participate either, so we had two of our top players. Third player is one of the recent additions to the club, a girl who has only been to two training sessions, but has experience with "basement"/social games. Really quite good player, talented, but somewhat troubled by equipment. An old but well kept Butterfly Börzsey blade with Sriver-L on both sides, at the outset really quite a nice setup. However, the rubbers seem to have had their share of sunlight (sponge gone dead, and topsheets hard and near frictionless), so in practice she is using anti on both sides. Turned out to give some opponents a bit of trouble...

First match was one we expected to win. One of the experienced players had a bad day, it seems, and lost a couple of matches he would normally win easily. After 3 rounds of singles, we were down 4-5. Another surprise: we won the doubles (we haven't had enough players present this season, so there has been no doubles training at all.) 5-5, and a draw.

Next match was against the stronger team from the same club. Surprisingly, our new player on the team won one of her matches, so even if the experienced players lost against a few stronger opponents, we managed another 4-5 after the singles. However, their doubles pair had some experience, and beat our boys 3-1. 4-6 in the team match, and defeat.

Stavanger is the largest club in our region, and we expected that also their 5th div. team would be strong. The players were boys we hadn't seen before. It turned out to be well trained players with little match experience. Technically better and more polished than our team, but our players weren't quite what they were used to face, it seemed, and they had trouble adjusting... Again 4-5 before the doubles, and this time we managed to win again, in 5 sets. Another draw for the team, and we finished 3rd out of four before the last match between the two teams from the same club. Not quite what we had hoped for.

edit: Surprising result from the last match, their top team was missing two players, and lost. This meant that we dropped to 4th place, but also that the gap from top to bottom was only 2 points.

Last edited by keme on 19 Feb 2014, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2013, 08:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
keme wrote:
However, the rubbers seem to have had their share of sunlight (sponge gone dead, and topsheets hard and near frictionless), so in practice she is using anti on both sides. Turned out to give some opponents a bit of trouble...[/i]

ROFL! :lol: :lol: :lol: That's not uncommon in some of our local competition either :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 22:26 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

5th div., second round. A few of our younger players intended to go, but had to withdraw from this event, so I am out of the coach/supporter role and back in the team. :o

Opening against Stavanger, their strongest player won his two first matches, and we won the rest in the two first rounds. 4-2 before the last round, and looking good. The matches in the last singles round were close, but we won all, and the doubles also went our way, so even though matches were tough, we had 8-2 looking like a comfortable win. Good start of the day!

Next match was against the team with lowest ranking points, and we felt fairly confident. Rightfully so; we won the first 7 matches. Mostly we had to loosen up to avoid sets going 11-0. Still, they had clearly improved since our first meet, and our loosening up caused a slight slip, we lost the 8th match. We won the final singles and the doubles. Truly a comfortable win at 9-1.

We expected the last match to be tough. The top team's best players were back, and we knew they could beat us. Their third was a young boy who turned out to be very much a beginner. My first match was against this boy, and even though I really loosened up and tried to help him out, one set went 11-0. The other two matches was a win and a loss to us. Second round we won all matches, only losing one set. 5-1 and one league point already secured. The last round I had some trouble with my arm (recovering from tendonitis), but when I realised that one of my mates had won, the arm seemed to loosen up a bit again and I won the match. Won the doubles too, so it was another 8-2 win for the team.

Net result: Team went from last to first. We will be moving up...
For me personally: 10 wins in a row, none lost, which was better than expected.

No failures to report this time (Oh, well... the ventilator fan in the car died, in fairly cold weather and the worst rains this year, so the windshield fogged down a bit... The 4 hour drive home was not fun at all.)

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 23:56 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

League matches last weekend, our 2nd team playing 5th div and main team (with myself) playing 4th.

5th div. team lost all their team matches. This was expected. All the players had individual wins both days, and were happy with that and seemingly inspired to train better. I'm looking forward to training tomorrow (with reservations ... see below).

At the outset my team had 4 players, so we were a full team with a substitute.
Wednesday I learned that one of the players couldn't make it, something urgent at work. No problem, we're still full team.
Come Saturday morning, one other player calls in sick. One player down, so we are going to start every match down 0-3. Just have to make the best of it and have fun.
Outcome: 2 losses, 2 draws and 2 wins. I wouldn't have expected any better with a full team, and we were both happy with our own effort, so all is well.
Body still hurts. Training tomorrow feels like a bad idea right now. Hopefully it gets better.

Previously I have had some remarks from opponents about the pips. "I hate playing against those", and such. Nothing unsettling. This time, I had 2 players stating that "I won't make any official complaint, but strictly your bat is illegal." I asked them what rule they based that claim on, and they just went "everybody knows that there is a 4 mm limit". Oh, well... I have inverted max thickness rubber and LP with 0,5mm sponge, but my blade is near 20mm thick. Confronted them with that, and they still maintained (independently of one another) the attitude that "it's illegal, but I'll allow it".

After the matches on Saturday I talked to the appointed referee for the event. Surprisingly, he also claimed that my bat was illegal, "but at your level nobody will care" (or something to that effect). He agreed that both rubbers were OK, but the blade lacked the stamp of approval from ITTF. (!) I asked him to provide the actual rule, and he noted the "Re-Impact Perfect" name and said he would have to come back to me the next day. Come Sunday, he said he hadn't gotten any further, but maintained the same attitude as those two players, "illegal, but just play with it anyway". (I could of course have asked him to examine every bat of every player, and see if he could come up with one single "ittf approved" blade. I chose to leave that to a later time...)

All in all a good two days of TT. A few not-so-bright spots, but no failure to handle at this time. Guess I have to confront that event official some time, but there is no hurry...

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 06:39 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
keme wrote:
League matches last weekend, our 2nd team playing 5th div and main team (with myself) playing 4th.

5th div. team lost all their team matches. This was expected. All the players had individual wins both days, and were happy with that and seemingly inspired to train better. I'm looking forward to training tomorrow (with reservations ... see below).

At the outset my team had 4 players, so we were a full team with a substitute.
Wednesday I learned that one of the players couldn't make it, something urgent at work. No problem, we're still full team.
Come Saturday morning, one other player calls in sick. One player down, so we are going to start every match down 0-3. Just have to make the best of it and have fun.
Outcome: 2 losses, 2 draws and 2 wins. I wouldn't have expected any better with a full team, and we were both happy with our own effort, so all is well.
Body still hurts. Training tomorrow feels like a bad idea right now. Hopefully it gets better.

Previously I have had some remarks from opponents about the pips. "I hate playing against those", and such. Nothing unsettling. This time, I had 2 players stating that "I won't make any official complaint, but strictly your bat is illegal." I asked them what rule they based that claim on, and they just went "everybody knows that there is a 4 mm limit". Oh, well... I have inverted max thickness rubber and LP with 0,5mm sponge, but my blade is near 20mm thick. Confronted them with that, and they still maintained (independently of one another) the attitude that "it's illegal, but I'll allow it".

After the matches on Saturday I talked to the appointed referee for the event. Surprisingly, he also claimed that my bat was illegal, "but at your level nobody will care" (or something to that effect). He agreed that both rubbers were OK, but the blade lacked the stamp of approval from ITTF. (!) I asked him to provide the actual rule, and he noted the "Re-Impact Perfect" name and said he would have to come back to me the next day. Come Sunday, he said he hadn't gotten any further, but maintained the same attitude as those two players, "illegal, but just play with it anyway". (I could of course have asked him to examine every bat of every player, and see if he could come up with one single "ittf approved" blade. I chose to leave that to a later time...)

All in all a good two days of TT. A few not-so-bright spots, but no failure to handle at this time. Guess I have to confront that event official some time, but there is no hurry...

So your bat is considered illegal because the rubbers were over the 4mm limit and your blade didn't have a stamp of approval. Making the opposition so upset that must be quite an evil bat you've got there! :devil:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 08:32 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Annoys me when people don't know the rules but are sure they do. What makes it worse is no effort to verify their view. Some people don't want to know the truth as they are happy with their own ignorance and to stubborn to change.

We had a lengthy discussion earlier in the year about who serves to who in doubles. The rules were quite clear in the end and everyone agreed.........only to forget that they agreed a couple weeks later...... :@

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 10:01 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Lorre wrote:
So your bat is considered illegal because the rubbers were over the 4mm limit and your blade didn't have a stamp of approval. Making the opposition so upset that must be quite an evil bat you've got there! :devil:
:lol: Evil looking, at least.
Actually, rubbers are quite basic. Ktl pro xp 2mm (not max) and Palio ck531 0,9. The blade, on the other hand...

Also, I would not say that the opposition was terribly upset. We played six team matches, and only two of the 18 players I was up against had this type of comment. The real downside of it all was that the referee, even after failing to dig up a rule supporting his view, maintained that in principle my blade is illegal.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 11:22 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Is it not made of wood? Does it have uneven layers of wood or other material in it? Does it have more than the allowed non-wood content?

Is it merely that you can use it pretty well and your opposition is looking for an excuse, and the referee is not doing their job impartially and ...?

Even though I am a mere state level umpire (level below national umpire) from a country at the other side of the world, I am pretty sure that ITTF accreditation of blades has not been brought in ... yet.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 18:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I must say, those Re-Impact blades with the thick cork layers LOOK weird, if nothing else... ;) That's probably what set them off.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next