OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 02:52 

Whoop, my LP/SP setup finally arrived. I'm going to laugh myself to death at the next freee practice session.

Update on the P7 rubbers (main setup), REALLY like it after all training so far. Think i'm going to dominate the 2nd half of the competition 8) Had some matches in the recreational league, and won 3/4. The one I lost was in 5, against somebody who managed to hit all lucky points in the final game (5x either net intervention or edge of the table..)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 05:48 

Today was a good day. Managed to beat a really experienced player who left me without chance just 1,5 month ago... He has short pips on forehand an inverted bh. Last time I really struggled with his counter-attacks on both sides and couldn't get any grip on this game.
This time was different. I tried to put constant pressure on his game with really spinny loops from both my FH and BH. Preferable on his backhand because his forehand is much more precise and fast. That worked out really well, I had him on the ropes all the time and forced him backwards and to defend rather then attack.
It still wasn't easy tho (11-8, 9-11, 9-11, 11-8, 11-3). But I did win, and in the final game I really had him beat. Everything worked as planned 8)
The other matches were pretty easy against some inexperienced players. And my teammates did some good matches as well, ending with a 7-3 win.

The experienced player admitted that he could never play his own game and complimented me on my improvement and said he could've never beaten me today. :oops: Hope I can keep this form going towards the other matches.
I must also say the Adidas P7 rubbers are really fantastic loop monsters if you get used to them. Man even the most difficult chops of a 1st class playing teammate were good to loop on in practice. And I don't lose control with them as I did with the Tenergy 80 rubbers. I can still keep a controlled game. But ofcourse it might be just because of all practice, not the material

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 06:30 

So today was a good training for me. Especially when the coach complimented me on my great progress the last year in looping and footwork.
Gives me great confidence for the final matches of the season. I can do it!
:topspin:

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 08:05 

So.. today we played the leading team in our division.
I won 2/3, teammate won 1/3, so we got away with 3 points. Sounds bad but it was actually a lot better than our first encounter with them (9-1 loss).

They have one player though that I just could not touch. I suprisingly won the first game but then he switched a gear or 3.. He is a double inverted looper like me, but he's just 2 classes above me. Totally outplayed me in that one, at one point I just didn't have the chance to attack anymore because he already put so much pressure with his 1st opening loop, too spinny to counter so all I could do was block it short so he couldn't hit it. But then he'd just loop again and again and all I could do was try to keep blocking it short, or wait very long and try a loop against loop. That worked sometimes but then he'd just as easily retrieve/block or even worse counter it... and his placement was miles better than mine, much more precise.
But then again, he played 3rd division 2 seasons ago, so he doesn't really belong in this division.
Still good to know how much progress I can make. Because for my feeling I played really well in that match, yet I lost 2 games 11-1, 11-2.. just because every good rally went to that player. I'm just not as consistent as such an experienced player. And I can't put as much spin/pressure on my opening loop like those kind of players. It's just beyond me at this point. Will need to keep practicing.
Loop, loop and loop...

Also another difficulty I noticed today was smashing. Normally not a problem, but with all the looping practice I think I've lost my touch a bit in smashing. :?: No point in setting up a point if I can't even finish it properly. But luckily didn't need it against the other players. A loop to their backhand was all it needs, like 90% of the players in this class. Blocking BH on top spin is a weak point of so many..

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2014, 09:43 

Hope at least somebody reads this :D
Anyway, still like to write down my thoughts so here goes again:

Today a match in the so called 'recreantencompetitie' (an unofficial league made by people who didn't want to play on saturdays, when there's official league matches).
Now, in this competition I'm playing in a class that's too low for me. And so far I've won 100% of my matches both last year and this year.
This evening was no different, I did win both matches. One player was a typical counter-hitter. The other player I played was more defensive minden, would call her a pusher/blocker. Didn't do much else.

The counter-hitter was fast but had no idea what to do against topspin. everytime I did a spinny loop she'd either try to counterhit and hit it over the table. When she noticed that didn't work she tried to chop, but had no technique for that so it went flying over the table as well. She tried to block but her racket angle was way too flat knocking the ball over the table as well. After the first 2 games she decided moving back and trying to block it further from the table would be the best idea, which gave me high easy balls in return which I could smash in. No problem..

Then we played the doubles and the other player, the push/blocker, had huge problems returning any kind of topspin by me as well. While she got the idea of blocking better than the other player, again I noticed the racket angle was too flat.. I heard them talk and becoming desperate. After the match (which we won ofcourse) we had a fun talk about the game and they asked me what they were doing wrong. Funny, since many of the mistakes they made, I made them all not too long ago, just 2/3 seasons. Just look at the video in the first page :lol:
But, I still had one match to go, and I basically told the push/blocker how to return my opening loop.
Now in the first game I was absent-minded and lost the game by lack of concentration. The 2nd and 3rd game I won, but she did return my opening loops pretty well, thanks to my own tips . However most of the time I could finish it with the 2nd/3rd attack, by being constantly faster. Then I made the classical mistake in the 4th set of taking it easy again... the game went pretty even and then when I thought I could accelerate again, I missed a couple of easy shots and became too cautious...
Opening loops were held back, and with the 2nd/3rd attack I did nothing... just wait, wait, wait and again do a way too easy loop. I did win the game in the end with 13-11. But not satisfied with that.

This is not the first time I underestimate opponents or let them come in back in the match, because I'm too cautious with a big lead or when I 'feel' I'm better...it's arrogant and dumb, but I think anyone recognizes this feeling? It's a mental thing but really hard to get rid off. Against equal/better players I know I can't take it down a notch or 'play safe'. I'm a double inverted attacker, playing safe doesn't win me any matches, I need to finish it off, and I need to finish it off preferable as fast as possible. Long, safe rallies I rarely win. Yet against players who I feel after 1/2 sets are no match, I suddenly start playing too slow, too safe and way too cautious..

And hints on how to train my frickin mind to play like normally? |(

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2014, 15:31 
The King

Yes there are people reading your posts!

Anyway what you mention is pretty common. Staying focused throughout a match can be difficult especially when you think you've already won/should win easily. When sets were played to 21 this wasn't that much of a problem as there was usually enough time to recover. Playing to 11 is more intense, lose focus and it's likely you lose the set.

I don't think there's an easy fix for this but once you feel you win your matches too easily move to another team/level as there should always be a challenge. Playing below your level makes you lazy and you won't improve any further. Then again, you can also use matches against lower ranked opponents as training matches taking high risk shots you would normally not play.

You mentioned as an attacker you should be aggressive scoring points. While this is basically true one of the most important things I learned from my trainer early on was to always try to do something with any shot you play. There are basically 4 elements in every shot: spin, placement, height, speed. Always try to put effort to get at least one of those elements right. If you get all 4 elements right in a shot you will score a point 9 times out of 10. Which element is most important is somewhat dependent on your level and playing style. For instance if I would play at let's say 4e or 3e klasse level I could win all matches using only spin on serves and chops and not doing much more. The other elements are not important then. Using only placement would also work but take a bit more effort. But don't forget the most important part is still to get your shots on the table. Yes, as an attacker you should attack but not at all cost. If you only hit 30% of your shots practice more and try again.

To further illustrate the 4 elements:
- topspin with very little spin played to a far corner high and slow is still a good shot with just 1element right
- topspin with very little spin played directly to where your opponent is standing high and slow is a bad shot because you got none of the elements right. The same shot with spin, speed and height done right would be a good shot but not a winner probably. Add placement to a far corner and you have a winner.

If you can only get 1 element right try to get the placement right, this is the easiest to learn and usually the most effective. Then again having a good serve will win you matches at your level.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2014, 23:57 

Thanks Elvis56, very helpful ;) .. I indeed should put some more thought in the shot's im going to do when in 'safe' mode.. I usually do try to place them well in that mode tho.. it's what eventually won me the match even with all the caution. But often when I'm in such a cautious modus I do just return ball in the middle with nothing else, no speed, little spin, no placement.. too easy, that's pingpong not table tennis :rock:

The service is another thing I'm going to be working on this summer. I need more variation and I need to be able to put more deception to it. I do have some serves that are effective enough to score points and force opponent errors, but the lack in deception. If you see me do them 2/3 times, then you figure it out. Then they already know which serve I'm going to do before I even served it. this season I already improved on that but it could be way better. For my style of play I'd especially like to have a real good and deceptive sidespin serve which I can vary with backspin or topspin.. and make it so that the difference is hard to notice

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 01:41 

heh looking back it this.. in the end what I did was experiment with SP on my bh.

First games I played with my normal inverted blade and only won 2/6, also due to bad form in the 2nd match (just not my day). Since I started playing with short pips on my BH (Adidas Blaze Spin) I haven't lost a match anymore.
In fact, I haven't even lost a game anymore.

They are spinny pips so I can still open up with my BH as before. But the added control really helped improving my game. I have so many ways to force the play into 'my' way so I can finish it with the stronger forehand loop or loop-smash.. And when there's a typical counter-hitter/super fast blocker I can slow down the game or confuse them with the SP side.. Never thought I'd make the switch but looking at the last 2 months it's the best thing I could've done

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 07:27 

4 years later.. a little review:

2015 -> back to double inverted, top of my league (lowest league though). Not in a team I could promote so I got frustrated near the end of the competition (nothing to play for) so dropped a few games. Decided to try out long pimples. Easily won every other game in the league as the opponents were totally clueless to this sort of game

2016 -> First season class higher (lucky me). Got placed in a different team. I adjusted to the pimples (Curl P1R OX) way faster than you would expect from a double inverted attacker. I was already a good blocker in the backhand, maybe that helped? Long story short, I surprised my much better rated teammates by dominating most games all season long. My main strategy was disturbing and blocking and chopping on the backhand while attacking with FH topspin. I won 30/33 games, our team was champion so in just 2 seasons I went up 2 classes now.

The first season in the next division was hard, we barely scraped bye and I won only about a third of my matches. Opponents were less clueless about the pimples and started serving long and hard into the pimples without spin and killing the 2nd ball. I also relied on my pimples too much and started to do less with the FH, which is really a basic mistake

2017 -> I started working harder on my FH and foot placement while playing FH topspin in backhand. I switched LP several times, from P1R OX to P1R 1mm and back. Also trying some other brands, like DMZ Long Super Defence, Yasaka Phantom 0012 and Donic Spike, but in the end I played 90% of all matches with P1R 1mm. My game was turning more and more into a chopping game / counter-attacking with FH. Varying spin with my LP to disturb and attack whenever it was a little higher or deep in FH/middle table. I did noticably better than my first season in this division. I won 50% the first season and 65% second season of 2017. Yet I was feeling I was getting to the top of my capabilities with this playstyle

2018 -> The first season of 2018 (february to may) was more of a transition year. I switched to the infamous Grass Dtecs as I wanted to go back to a blocking game closer to the table (I was often caught out behind the table chopping and people simply pushing it back short after). It took some time to really adjust to the Dtecs as they are much, much, much faster than Curl P1r, even in OX compared to 1mm Curl. However, once I got used to it they are notiriously good at deception. I had a lot of fun with trying new stuff even though it did cost me some games and I also made the same mistake of relying too much on the pips compared to my forehand. So I stuck at the same percentage of wins of last season (65%), while my team did very well to finish 3rd in the league this time. We already felt like next season we could go for the championship in this division.

Now I'm in the second 'season' of 2018 (sept to dec) and we're currently in 2nd place, 4 points behind the leaders. I'm having a blast of a season, only lost 1 game so far to a pusher who did nothing all game (my main nemesis playstyle). Far better rated attackers from the leaders (who came from a division higher) have simply given up in frustration in some matches :devil: . They faced people with LP before, but said the main difference is I have a good forehand smahs and good forehand topspin. So there is no margin for error and the pimples are already notoriously difficult for them to deal with. I got so much better at blocking it short and dealing with fast / no spin serves... So that part is good. There's still kinks to work out. Like not being ready for counter attacks when I do my kill smashes or counter-attack topspins. And also people who simply do nothing against me. Those remain difficult matches. But at the moment I'm really happy the way things are going and I think it's better for me to play a blocking/counter-attacking playstyle than chopping/counter-attacking. Normally we'll be able to play a division higher next year and then a new challenge begins... Players who can keep looping on LP blocks or chops... and that division is known for having a larger amount of anti/lp players like me. Though I have to say the ones I met in my current division haven't really troubled me as they are largely too passive/pure defenders.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 04:00 

And as a new highlight I managed to win the regional championships (3rd class) tournament today. This is exactly the 50/50 level so to speak. There's 3 classes above (2nd,1st and TOP) and 3 classes below (4,5,6). So it's a bit higher level then the league.
I wasn't exactly one of the highest rated players so it was kind off a shock result. But I made rarely any mistakes with pushing/blocking. And was very effective with the forehand counter hits. Totally amazed I won.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 00:36 

Nebur wrote:
Haha good to know there's hope ;)
My goal was 100% in 5e klasse this season, but that's out of the window now. Yeah, I guess the nttb did shift things around...
To be fair I don't think I'll ever be much more than a 3e klasse player in a few years. But I can always try :devil:

Strange to realize I'm about to play 2e klasse and not feeling like that will be my top. Since switching to modern-def w/long pimples I think I can be a decent 1e klasse player.

I've beaten (ex) 1e and hoofdklasse players last two seasons. But if I reach 1e klasse will be dependant on the strength of our club. Right now I'm the best league playing ranked player now... Never thought that when I made above quote. :devil:

I should make another video to compare with the one from 2012. :rofl:

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 19:55 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Do you know the ELOs of your 2nd class group? Here (Regio West) the median in my group seems to be around 1300pts.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 20:15 

Blade: Vanity II (custom)
FH: DHS Gold Arc 8
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
Red wrote:
Do you know the ELOs of your 2nd class group? Here (Regio West) the median in my group seems to be around 1300pts.

That’s pretty much like Midden.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 06:23 

1300 is the upper echelon of 2nd class here in Limburg.

Most people are rated anywhere between 1100 lowest and 1450 is the highest (last season). I'm hovering between 1250 and 1300 now.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2023, 18:44 

We're now in 2023..

After 2019 I continued to go upwards up until 1350 rating and 5/6 won in the 1e klasse regional.. and then covid hit.
Hardly played table tennis at all in 2020, 2021.
And when we finally continued I struggled, hard. No confidence, a lot of mistake on the LP side and my FH hit to finish weak balls was gone as well. I consistently won between 20/35% in the 1e klasse and rating plummeted to 1250 before recovering between 1300-1320.

Finally I decided to change my setup a bit. Slower FH (tackiness chop 1.5 on the fh) and palio ck531a on the LP side.
Suddenly this season I managed to beat some decently rated players whilst winning 60% of my matches. Achieving my highest rating to date and we were very close to promoting as a team as well.
Next season my goal is to confirm this season and hope it wasn't a one seasonthing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next