OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 21:28 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Lorre wrote:
Pipsy wrote:
Wish there was an opportunity like that in Belgium, too... The training sessions I get right now are ok and they do develop all aspects of my game, also LP play. But still, I often think that specific exercices and specific LP-coaching would benefit my progress exponentially...

Agree with that. I don't know any specific LP training in Belgium, except (from what I heard) in Diest. There's a B2 long pipper, but apparently there's a little "war" going on between the whitelighters and darklighters. One chairman doesn't like LP play, the other does.

That must be one of Belgium's best long pippers then? Does he also give training? Maybe we should contact him to inspire him to set up something like Thalin has done. It's a gap in the market! What are the consequences of this 'war' in Diest?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 21:44 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Knorben wrote:
First session with the new gear today. In short, it was great!
The Dornenglanz offers exactly what I want - about the same as before on chopping, but a lot better with at the table play. Now that I also know how to respond to different shots, like no spin and backspin, I don't feel as handicapped by the pips.
The Pro XT also does really well. I can feel it really bottom out if I back off too much, though, but that's something I'm definitely willing to deal with if I get the added control I have now. It's like night and day compared to the Red Diamond :):)

Maybe one day you should also give the Palio CK531A in OX a try. It is not a slow one, but I like it a lot, it chops great and the short game is quite controlled and disruptive. Attacking with it is rather difficult, but it is great in combination with a FH-looping game.

I have Pro XP in black which is also tacky, quite spin insensitive and... very good away from the table!

Knorben wrote:
I also asked Hans how Dornenglanz could be so close to FLPs when tackiness should be the opposite of frictionless. He said that all he knew was purely speculation, but consider a regular tacky, Chinese rubber. If you do a short push with a lot of wrist motion, the rubber will practically ignore the spin that's already on there, right? Why it's like that, no clue, but it is. Tacky rubbers are more insensitive to spin compared to the grippy ones with mechanical spin. Apply the same on tacky LPs, and there you have it. That, by the way, is also the reason why Hans considers Chinese inverted rubbers to be categorically better than Japanese and German ones.
Moreover I asked him about the interview, and he said he'll respond to the questions. So hopefully we'll get answers some time soon :)

KLT Stranger is also a tacky LP. Did you try it? So Hans is saying that tacky rubbers outperform not-tacky ones? Why do so many top players use Tenergy then? Including some Chinese players like Ma Long I believe. Although most Chinese top players use indeed DHS Neo Hurricane (is that right?) which is tacky...

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 01:37 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Pipsy wrote:
That must be one of Belgium's best long pippers then? Does he also give training? Maybe we should contact him to inspire him to set up something like Thalin has done. It's a gap in the market! What are the consequences of this 'war' in Diest?

Probably...
I think he gives training, but I don't know for sure. He gave advise to the guy I talked to.
I don't think there are any consequences of that "war": it's something inside the club. Maybe I put it too strongly as "war": the club exists of two parties: those who love LP play and those who hate it, like in all big clubs. Only the amount of LP lovers are a lot bigger than in other big clubs. As far as I know Diest is a pretty successful club.
We might contact him...

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 05:51 

Pipsy wrote:
Maybe one day you should also give the Palio CK531A in OX a try. It is not a slow one, but I like it a lot, it chops great and the short game is quite controlled and disruptive. Attacking with it is rather difficult, but it is great in combination with a FH-looping game.

I have Pro XP in black which is also tacky, quite spin insensitive and... very good away from the table!

That scares me a little. I really enjoy being able to attack with my backhand as well as play disruptive. I'm getting the hang of it more and more.
About the Pro XP, I've been considering it as my next rubber, but I'm leaning more towards the Spin Lord Marder. Mainly because I really like the sort of "indie" vibe Spin Lord has, and my impression is that their quality is great. Next rubber will also be in 1.7-1.8 mm instead of 1.5. But that's all far in the future when my Pro XT is dead and buried ;)

Pipsy wrote:
KLT Stranger is also a tacky LP. Did you try it? So Hans is saying that tacky rubbers outperform not-tacky ones? Why do so many top players use Tenergy then? Including some Chinese players like Ma Long I believe. Although most Chinese top players use indeed DHS Neo Hurricane (is that right?) which is tacky...

I didn't try the Stranger myself, no. I might eventually, but right now I'm happy with Dornenglanz :)
Sure, many Chinese players use rubbers like Tenergy with mechanical spin for their backhand, but look at the general trend. I haven't done exact research but I wouldn't be surprised if out of the 20 best at least 15 use tacky rubbers on at least one side. There's also a reason why the Chinese use tacky rubbers almost exclusively at lower levels (well, I can't be sure of this, but that seemed to be the tendency according to leatherback's blog). I'm getting more and more convinced that tackiness is the way to go, even if I still hold Mark V to be one of the best rubbers of all time.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 07:38 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Well, I've been EJing on my Fh the last couple of months myself and I also feel that the Chinese path is my way to go. Those rubbers give you a sensational feeling IMO. I've come back to my Tenergy64 the past week and I have no feeling in that rubber anymore whatsoever. Now I'm trying the Doc's Domination in 2.1: slightly tacky and in a bounce test I found it really slow on low impact and quite a bit faster on a high impact.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 11:02 

My experience with thicker sponges, chiefly National Strike and Red Diamond, has scared me off a great deal. Basically, right now, I don't see myself ever going beyond 1.8 mm. It just feels like I'm giving the sponge too much responsibility.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 18:26 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Knorben wrote:
My experience with thicker sponges, chiefly National Strike and Red Diamond, has scared me off a great deal. Basically, right now, I don't see myself ever going beyond 1.8 mm. It just feels like I'm giving the sponge too much responsibility.

I also had that experience once, but now I have the opposite feeling: going too thin makes my setup a brick wall.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 18:42 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

The biggest difference between Red Diamond and your XT is probably the softness of the sponge, the speed of the rubber and the tackiness. I have an XP (medium-tacky) with 2.2 soft sponge on a relatively hard blade and this works great as well for looping as for chopping.

I think you should primarly ask yourself the question whether you will use FH especially for looping attacks or for chopping defence. If looping, take thicker sponge. If defending, thinner sponge. XT surely isn't the fastest rubber around, so thicker sponge wouldn't be that much of a problem. 1.9 is always a good compromis I guess...

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 18:50 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Lorre wrote:
Well, I've been EJing on my Fh the last couple of months myself and I also feel that the Chinese path is my way to go. Those rubbers give you a sensational feeling IMO. I've come back to my Tenergy64 the past week and I have no feeling in that rubber anymore whatsoever. Now I'm trying the Doc's Domination in 2.1: slightly tacky and in a bounce test I found it really slow on low impact and quite a bit faster on a high impact.

How do Dr. Neubauer rubbers match up with the Chinese path :?: :^)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 18:53 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Lorre wrote:
Pipsy wrote:

Probably...
I think he gives training, but I don't know for sure. He gave advise to the guy I talked to.
I don't think there are any consequences of that "war": it's something inside the club. Maybe I put it too strongly as "war": the club exists of two parties: those who love LP play and those who hate it, like in all big clubs. Only the amount of LP lovers are a lot bigger than in other big clubs. As far as I know Diest is a pretty successful club.
We might contact him...

Diest is probably the highest ranked club in the country, together with Jean-Michel Saive's team Logis Auderghem. They will compete each other in a few weeks. I assume this pip player is in their second team in the first national division. Is he a chopper? Do you know what he plays with?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 19:13 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Pipsy wrote:

You never played the doc's Domination, did you? :lol: It's slightly tacky, but only in the 1.8 and 2.1 versions. The sponges are also different in 1.2/1.5 (pink-orange) and 1.8/2.1 (white).

Pipsy wrote:
Diest is probably the highest ranked club in the country, together with Jean-Michel Saive's team Logis Auderghem. They will compete each other in a few weeks. I assume this pip player is in their second team in the first national division. Is he a chopper? Do you know what he plays with?

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about his playing style or with what he plays.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 20:18 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Lorre wrote:
Pipsy wrote:

You never played the doc's Domination, did you? :lol: It's slightly tacky, but only in the 1.8 and 2.1 versions. The sponges are also different in 1.2/1.5 (pink-orange) and 1.8/2.1 (white).

I only meant that Germany is quite far from China ;)

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 02:05 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Pipsy wrote:
I only meant that Germany is quite far from China ;)

Sorry, I read it as a question about rubber playing characteristics... :party:

Post subject: Shaky comeback
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 04:46 

Yesterday was my first TT competition in about 12 years. It was great fun getting back out there :)
I entered in men's singles class 4. What that means exactly I don't know, but I think there are six different classes, and the more ranking points you have, the higher you are. I've been told by my trainer that I should enter in class 4 and 5, since above that people are too good. Apparently, however, it's uncommon to find competitions in class 5 and below in the area where I live, so I'm stuck with 4, for now.
So how did it go? Well, about as expected. The first match was against a girl about 14 years old. I took the first set, then she whipped me completely. I later learned she's among the top of something. The area or Sweden, or south of Sweden, I don't know. She was really talented, though, and quite used to playing against LPs. Next I met a guy about the same age, who had won the day before in the boys 15 competition. He finished second in class 4. He also squished me. Last I met a guy almost 50 years old, and he took two sets on me before everything finally clicked and I started really playing. I'm like that at competitions, I need a rigorous warm-up to really get in the zone. Now, I'm not sure I could've won the first two matches either way, but I'd have a better shot. It was a really fun match against that last guy. My coach, Omar, instructed me not to warm up with my LPs against him, sort of keep them in the dark if you will, and while I felt a little guilty I did as I was told. After all, if he chooses to, the opponent can always inspect my bat. It was quite fun how I sort of got a few points just because I shocked him a little.
For reference, the girl I first met had about 1000 ranking points, the guy after around 12-1300, and the last one a bit below 900. That corresponds to a place in the rankings at about top 3900, top 2200 and top 4700, respectively. The absolute top in Sweden seems to be at about 2600+. I myself haven't gotten any ranking points, and I don't really know how the rules work for new players, but in skill I'd place myself at about 1000. Sure, that girl beat me, and I'm sure she would again, but not by much. In fact, I didn't feel completely helpless in any of the matches. This just makes me look forward to the next competition in two weeks.

It's amazing how much I grow on competitions. It's like everything I've practiced just falls into place. I've experienced the same phenomenon while fencing. I don't know why, maybe it's because I force myself to rise to the occasion or something. I had a quick hit with Omar today, and I can really tell the difference from before the weekend. I've gotten much more confident with my pips. Especially my blocks at the table have improved drastically. Improvements like this make it so much easier to keep going :)
Not only have my blocks improved, but my overall sense of tempo as well. I feel much more confident reaching fast loops and smashes now than before the weekend. This is probably more related to me getting back to the form I was in before I stopped as a kid than me just plain improving, but it's still progress.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss practice tomorrow, so I won't be able to gauge my improvements against the kids there (two of them are usually a tiny little bit above me) until Thursday. It's hard to do that with Omar, since he's so much better than me to start with. That guy is amazing, he's at the club Monday to Friday, not just practice nights.

So, to summarize: What's made me better, I think, is that I've started to figure out and get a feel for when I should hit the ball. When I should take it off the bounce, what it means and what will happen if I don't, etc. I've also started to get a feel for the super relaxed grip needed for efficient blocking. Really excited about this progress! :)

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 15:54 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Competitions are really fun! And one competition can give you more than 5 training sessions (it can also take away like 5 sessions :-) ). Your first ranking point will be the average of the lowest ranked that you lost to and the highest ranked you've beaten I think. You will soon have a higher ranking, good youths like the one you've met are normally underrated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next