OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2022, 16:25 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Well... First training session was fun :)
I started with Le Géant with Sternenfall and Stiga Clipper with TroubleMaker. Very soon I discovered that Le Géant is much better for my FH, more security, and better in most aspects, although Clipper still is very nice when hitting hard. And I also found, as expected, that Le Géant with lp ox is way too light, my timing was off and I lacked power on FH.
Blocking with lp is a little difficult but TM is clearly better for me on both blades compared to Sternenfall. Attacking may be slightly better with Sternenfall but it does not bother the opponent nearly as much as TM.

So I moved the rubbers after only 10 minutes and TM on Le Geant is better than Sternenfall. There may be other long pimple ox better on Le Geant but for now I will go with TM since it is rather easy to use, it can do most of the strokes quite well and it bothers the opponent a little.

The best part of the training was that I felt very comfy, secure and confident with my FH. And this is what I have been missing for many years. So now I can rely on my FH in terms of blocks, attacks and couterattacks, even from distance. Only downside so far is serving, I just can't generate much spin with this setup.

BH is another thing. Here I struggle, but probably mostly because of my reflexes to hold the bat still at blocking. This will take some time to adjust. When I scrub the spin and pace off the ball it works, but many times I forget about that and just hold my bat like blocking with inverted, and ball just goes long.

Returning serves is getting better, still a lot to work with, since I need to be more careful when reading spin and adjusting to it. The same goes for attackibg back spin, this is soo fun but I sometimes hit a little late or over shoot (thinking there is more mack spin than there is). Practice is needed!

But comming from the first real session as a long pimple ox player I really look forward to next session. Too bad I only can practice twice a week :(

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2022, 20:16 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Hi Def-Attack,

If possible could you please comment on how the Stiga Clipper plays with ox long pimples. This is a combination that has interested me for a while.

Thanks mate

Rob

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2022, 20:43 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Rob M wrote:
Hi Def-Attack,

If possible could you please comment on how the Stiga Clipper plays with ox long pimples. This is a combination that has interested me for a while.

Thanks mate

Rob
Hi,
The Clipper works very nice with lp ox, controlled and rather safe from distance. The blade is a little heavy, rather stiff and stable, and I like that. It gives a controlled low arc with the pips, and there is bo catapult int the blade, very linear in speed (but high base speed). It does not feel hollow like some blades does.

But I only used it for a few minutes but I really liked it. But my other blade works better for me on FH for the moment.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 05:30 
Super User

Hi Def-Attack,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I'm considering getting a Stiga Clipper Oversize for a modern defense style game using ox pimples. My current blade, the Darker Speed 90 has way too much hinoki catapult and is non linear in its top gears.

Many thanks
Rob

PS keep posting those videos

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2022, 15:26 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Rob M wrote:
Hi Def-Attack,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I'm considering getting a Stiga Clipper Oversize for a modern defense style game using ox pimples. My current blade, the Darker Speed 90 has way too much hinoki catapult and is non linear in its top gears.

Many thanks
Rob

PS keep posting those videos
There are many versions of Clipper, I use original, no WRB, no CR, no CC. Fabian Åkerström and Gustav Ericsson uses the harder and faster CC I think (I know Gustav does, not sure of Fabian).

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2022, 07:02 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Another training session tonight... I tried DTecS ox for most of the session, but changed back to Trouble Maker for the last match. DTecS is better for blocking, less grip and faster, so ball rebounds a little faster and with lower arc with this blade Re-impact Le Géant. But pushing, chopping, attacking is better and safer with TM. The little grip on TM makes attacks against back spin better because you can ad some spin and make them slow or fast. With DTecS you need back spin and the lesser grip makes BH flips difficult, they tend to go long.

So I am still with TM :)

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2022, 00:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Def-attack wrote:
Another training session tonight... I tried DTecS ox for most of the session, but changed back to Trouble Maker for the last match. DTecS is better for blocking, less grip and faster, so ball rebounds a little faster and with lower arc with this blade Re-impact Le Géant. But pushing, chopping, attacking is better and safer with TM. The little grip on TM makes attacks against back spin better because you can ad some spin and make them slow or fast. With DTecS you need back spin and the lesser grip makes BH flips difficult, they tend to go long.

Do you have a summer league mate ?
How was your league season and results.
i had my best ever season and just stuck with the same anti and s/p
i changed blades though as i broke my vintage one.
i did experiment during the season but went back to my trusty combo. :Chop:

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2022, 00:52 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

peterpong wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Do you have a summer league mate ?
How was your league season and results.
i had my best ever season and just stuck with the same anti and s/p
i changed blades though as i broke my vintage one.
i did experiment during the season but went back to my trusty combo. :Chop:
I am not sure, there may be competions and league games. Not sure I will have the time to attend.
This season was not good, but I did not expect it to be either. I played 26 matches within 12 teams matches, at 6 different days from September to March. I only won 6 singles (and a few doubles). I played 2 good matches that I won, and perhaps one good match that I did not win.
I used different setups for everyone of the six days we were playing. One of the days I used anti for the first team match and short pips for the second team match... So, naturally, this affected my results. But I could not have done it another way this season due to my life situation, having to deal with heavy problems and not being able to focus on table tennis as before. I needed to have as fun as possible during trainings, I could not do that with my anti setup. Anti is good at matches but boring, and even more boring at training.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2022, 01:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Thanks for the reply mate.
My game is boring to the max lol.
I think im too bothered about results.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2022, 22:15 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Today i had a good but unfortunately very short session. I hurt my back reaching for an attack aimed far to my FH. Some muscles below my shoulder next to my spine, got overloaded or stretched too far. So I will not be able to play for a few days or a week.

But up until that I had a good session, slowly getting to adjust my BH block to TM instead of anti. And toying around with some chop blocks. Very fun. But my BH lift/attack against back spin needs some adjustments, not sure what I do most wrong, if it is timing, too much wrist, to closed bat or what...

https://youtu.be/ff0oFdayDEc

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2022, 16:32 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

To me it seems Abbasi Amirreza's stroke against back spin sometimes gives top spin and sometimes no spin or slight back spin. It must be that he used that almost serve-like motion to disguise when and where he hits the ball, on the way down, like a chop block, or on the way up, like lifting the ball. This is ver cool!

https://youtu.be/MZSSJ856ro8

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 04:10 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I have had a few interesting seesions lately. Today I started with Hallmark Tactics LP ox on my main blade (I have two Re-Impach Le Géant, one original and my main blade that is a slightly improved version with thinner handle, harder feeling and darker colour). I came to the conclusion that Tactics is a little too fast and not grippy enough for me at this momnent and with this blade. It bothered my opponent but it also bothered med a lot. After awhile I found a way to block with it but I still could not feel safe at all. And also, attacking made the ball fly all over the place. I played like 10 sets with it, only won like 2 or 3.
On the other blade I had Dornenglanz 3. This felt like a more easy versionof Trouble Maker.Slow and controlled, very easy to attack with it and block like it was a medium pip. It actually played very similar to a medium pip but slow (no sponge). And it was also not very difficult for my opponent, but the low speed casued the some troubles.
I went back to my main blade but changed to my now familiar Trouble Maker. I played a few more sets and then did some drills with block and attack, see the clip below. I found that moving towards the ball with a rather firm grip of the bat was a good way to block, even against hard attacks. This shortens the dwell time and it also keeps the speed up. You can also block rather easy with an upward movement, scrubbing the pace and spin off the ball. Chop block is also possible but very difficult against such hard attacks.
But the best thing with TM is the ability to hit against no spin and top spin. This confuses the opponent a lot the first couple of times. and it also keeps the pace and rythm for me- with anti I would just block these balls and my momentum was lost.
I still have many issues with footwork, strategies, FH attacks and so on, but I think I can solve these the comming months, I just need to work for it :whew: :rock: .

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 11:01 
Super User

Hi Def-Attack,

Your long pip block and hit game is developing nicely. Keep up the good work. I tried trouble maker and wasn't impressed by it. I found the original Dornenglanz to be a better rubber all round except for durability. Dornenglanz has unique properties, in that it is mildly tacky but has low spin sensitivities, it really is most unusual. Dornenglanz is a great rubber for an active all round style such as yours but a sheet only lasts for approximately 2 months before the pips start to fall out. Dornenglanz is very easy to block due to its low spin sensitivity and very easy to hit due to its mild tackiness. Plus its relatively cheap. Thanks for posting your videos, I always enjoy them.

Rob

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 15:15 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Rob M wrote:
Hi Def-Attack,

Your long pip block and hit game is developing nicely. Keep up the good work. I tried trouble maker and wasn't impressed by it. I found the original Dornenglanz to be a better rubber all round except for durability. Dornenglanz has unique properties, in that it is mildly tacky but has low spin sensitivities, it really is most unusual. Dornenglanz is a great rubber for an active all round style such as yours but a sheet only lasts for approximately 2 months before the pips start to fall out. Dornenglanz is very easy to block due to its low spin sensitivity and very easy to hit due to its mild tackiness. Plus its relatively cheap. Thanks for posting your videos, I always enjoy them.

Rob
Thanks!
I am aware of Dornenglanz and it properties. And just because of its short life span I will try to keep away from it :). I have been using expensive anti's for more than 5 years, they lasts about the same time and I am rather fed up with having to change rubber that often just because they get worn.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2022, 19:03 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I have been using Le Géant with Trouble Maker for a few weeks, but I have also ben testing other rubbers and setups. Yesterday I got some nice coaching and pointer from the pip blocker in this video (and I used the same opponent as he :) https://youtu.be/pDCD2Ay_Eds

For chopblocking with that style (a slight downward movement at ball contact with a light grip of the handle) I found the Le Géant rather difficult since it tends to hold the ball a little longer than Bloodhound or Wizard (the other two blades I tested). Also Le G is rather fast. So I will try another blade for awhile to try to learn this technique. But Le G is still very good for FH and for some other strokes with lp ox, like attacking and hitting against slight top spin. Here the extra dwell time really helps (and that is one of the points of the construction of the blade, to help hitting with lp).

So, next session I will go back to Clipper with Trouble Maker to see if it works good for chop blocking. If not, I may consider a Wizard or Bloodhound. Or Stiga Allround evo. Or Carbonado 90, or something else :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next