OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 17:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 22:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Latest equipment update after long covid induced "vacation".
I am trying out slower, but spinny forehand rubbers with a goal of winning by spinning rather than blasting winners. Currently leaning towards using Air DefenderS in max sponge on FH on all+ to off- blade. Still using OX LP in a mixed LP game (disruption, setting up FH, sometimes chopping).

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2021, 22:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

First post in almost 5 months. My trial of slower, less expense FH rubbers lasted one tournament where I was trashed. While I think slower, control rubbers may work OK for a younger, faster and thinner me, the older slower, fatter and less consistent me is not the one to play that style.

Subsequently I switched to faster rubbers on FH. Current favorite is RazkaZ and the ability to win the point quicker has been a big help. It is pretty similar to my the andro rasanter R47 I had used, except the tackiness helps my serve game, but the speed and looping ability is similar as is the feel.

I have still been playing LP in OX, mostly with pimplepark cluster. I have also played with dawei saviga V. I played two more tournaments with these setups on OFF- blades (mostly 729s Hao Shao Champion carbon two speed blade. My main problem is that I tend to go back to old chopping tendencies and off the table chopping with OX is difficult with this combination). So I am considering going back to thin sponge. I am not a good pushblocker and I think I can still chopblock at the table with thin sponge, chop better and hit a little better as well. Of course the blade affects how my LP rubber plays in OX to some degree, sooooo

I am trying a few more blades. Both OFF- as above, but also AVX J aramid, gambler balsa knight, ma lin soft carbon, but also slower blades like gambler zen, pimple park filus and the juic duo combo blade (have not hit with yet). Lastly I tried a 1 ply sanwei hinoki that was laying around. This blade is a wopping 112 grams without rubber and I have tried different combinations before, but I tried it with OX LP last weekend and it chopped like a dream.

But thankfully I am just fine tuning my equipment and soon will stay with one thing. For awhile.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 03:59 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I could say great things about Etika 51, but your wallet may be smaller and Tibhar K1 euro from TT11 may be up ur alley.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 05:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hook me up with a Nexy JS Hyuk blade with a straight handle and I might just try La Fe Ekita...

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2021, 05:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Not ready for a full review yet, but the Juic Duo blade has potential. It plays OK close to the table. But step back 1-2 meters and it becomes a loop launching machine. Need to figure out more how the LP side plays on my BH, but the FH is fantastic if you like to spin or loop more than flat hit.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2022, 23:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well the juic duo was hard to control. But its use let to an epiphany-I do not like the flex of 5 ply blades. I have since gone back to 7 ply wood and I am so happy. It is a full circle journey, as my first use of LP was the 729 bomb blade which i think was 7 ply.

I am also finally realizing that I have been copying everyone else's LP game. I play better with LP with moderate sponge. I do not play well with LP in OX. I am finding 1.0 sponge and about that allows me to do real pushes and not pop the ball up.

I am writing this to myself and even more so my future self: STAY WITH 7 PLY WOOD AND LP WITH 0-8-1.2 SPONGE UNTIL THE DAY YOU DAY YOU IDIOT!!!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2023, 23:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have not been writing much and what you will read goes against everything I have heard about LP play and just about everything on this board. I have found more and more success with thicker sponge on my LP backhand than with OX or thin sponge (up to 0.7). I am no playing with either SavigaV or with pimple park cluster with 1.0 or even 1.2 sponge and my game is taking off. Why?
1. I was never able to master the pushblocker or chopblocker shots with my LP.
2. The thicker sponge allows me to push an opponents underspin-and the spin my opponent gets back is unpredictable-but clearly different than inverted.
3. I can now successfully attack with my BH with some degree of sensitivity.
4. I can still chop (not as good, but I am not primarily a chopper anymore)
5. I can still block my opponents attacks, but instead of trying to block short, I block long to where they are not-or to where I want them to hit from.

My playing style is now a hybrid one where I use the LP to confuse opponents. My primary goal is to set up my FH loop and attack-my FH is much better than my BH. I use the LP to return difficult serves (except long ones to my FH which get looped back), to block my opponents attack. My LP hit is better on my FH as well, so serving short underspin allows me to attack the underspin return to my FH with the LP or to push with my inverted on my BH.

I am also playing with a faster blade and while passive play is much harder, active play is so much more effective.

I post this so IF there are any others like me who keep flailing with LP in OX or thin sponge will know it is possible to play otherwise.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2023, 01:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj2FEP3qJyE&list=PLJRVqA4qKaLr7ffCf1WXA5uU71N9S1i6u&index=23

A friendly club match from March 2023. I am playing with the green LP (Saviga V) with 1.2 mm sponge on my BH. Both players currently rated high 1500s in the USATT.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2023, 22:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I continue to have more success as I go thicker with the sponge on my LP. Have a couple of 1.5 mm sponges to glue to LP to see if I have found the sweet spot at 1-1.2 mm or if it still gets better. I have come to the following conclusion:

Van's Axiom: The thicker the sponge, the less I can tell a difference in how different LP top-sheets play. At least for grippy LP.

I am not sure why it has taken me so long to embrace more sponge on LP-except for the general consensus on the TT boards about OX pips. I guess I remain forever the contrarian.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!