OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 23:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Much like the old movie, "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" my blogs title is a little misleading. I have been inspired by Def-Attack's blog and similar concerns regarding the mixture of offense and defense with pips an twiddling. Additionally I am considering making a major change in my game so I thought I would like to document it. Even if I am the only one following this I may benefit from recording and then reviewing my observations. I do need to include some video links eventually. My video skills lag even behind some of my table tennis skills if that is possible.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 23:08 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Maybe this fall I will get back to USA and if I am re-assigned to central TX area, we will certainly meetup in Austin or other TT places. I will be sure to bring camera and laptop to capture my fun with you, so you can write 'er up Texas style U long distance runner you.

Haha, let's see you have a ball in this corner of the forum dude!

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 23:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanx Der. However I would rather visit you-you are in a mecca for table tennis while I am in a wasteland.

First history for me. Not the full thing.

Started playing table tennis again in 2003 at at local club. I had some background and had received lessons, but nothing special. At that time I played like I always had-inverted on both sides. I was in my late 30s and very active (ie running 2000 miles plus a year) and doing a good bit of running/racing. It took me several months till I could play with club members and eventually beat a few. I had never even heard of long pips until I joined this club. I played the first tournament in October of 2004 and had a USATT rating of 1190ish.

Our club president had LP and I thought it would be fun to play with them on my BH. I was quick of foot and could cover a lot of ground. I was also pretty inconsistent with my BH so I decided to try LP chopping in November of 2004 and played with 755 OX on a bomb blade. My next tournament was about 6 months later. Obviously I worked pretty hard in the club and my win to loss ration improved significantly. At my tournament in April 2005 i had a huge jump from 1100s to 1600s-and won an event. At the club I was beating almost all the regulars and instead of losing to some players 0-3 I was winning with a very basic "chop everything back" with my BH and attack any lose balls to my FH. It was simple, but very effective and I could cover the whole court pretty easily. Over the years I did not play many tournaments. I did EJ some and eventually went to thin sponged P1r and played in 8 rated tournaments over the period of April 2005 through January 2011 and improved from USATT mid 1600s to 1898 and picked up a few wins in some rated events. I began lessons with a real coach (Thailand native here in US for college) in April 2011.

Lastly as way of historical background over this time I gained 9 plus years of age and because of some health issues gained about 25 lbs. and lost a good bit of mobility.

The blog now begins with the next post.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 00:22 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
vanjr wrote:
Much like the old movie, "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" my blogs title is a little misleading. I have been inspired by Def-Attack's blog and similar concerns regarding the mixture of offense and defense with pips an twiddling. Additionally I am considering making a major change in my game so I thought I would like to document it. Even if I am the only one following this I may benefit from recording and then reviewing my observations. I do need to include some video links eventually. My video skills lag even behind some of my table tennis skills if that is possible.

Great! Love the reference to the film :) Perhaps you can play tabletennis with Death (if you haven't seen Bergman's Seventh seal, do that now :) ). Looking forward to your blogging. I think there can some synergy effects from blogging with a certain purpose, and if you blog about you will perhaps push yourself harder and focus a little more. Almost like someone was watching you when you practice :)

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 00:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Def-attack wrote:
vanjr wrote:

Great! Love the reference to the film :) Perhaps you can play tabletennis with Death (if you haven't seen Bergman's Seventh seal, do that now :) ). Looking forward to your blogging. I think there can some synergy effects from blogging with a certain purpose, and if you blog about you will perhaps push yourself harder and focus a little more. Almost like someone was watching you when you practice :)

I will still be following every post on your blog-I think I will learn a lot from you and others comments. But felt I had better start my own and not comment on MY game in YOUR blog:)

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 07:40 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

vanjr wrote:
I began lessons with a real coach (Thailand native here in US for college) in April 2011.

What's his name?

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 04:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

After 9 plus years I am going from LP on BH to double inverted. Work and life have been busy so I have not had time to post much.

Last night at the club-briefly I played with 2 different set ups. An older 729 ALL+ wood blade that I bought for my young daughter 8 years or so ago with sanwei T-I red on fh and darker Vlon-S in black on bh. Both in max. The vlon is essentially new and played much faster. The set up is on the side of control, not of speed. I used this set up for all but one match where I used razka 7 on FH and apollo 3 on bh of a galaxy de-1 blade-This had the inverse properties as it was much faster on FH and slower on BH.

My impressions after only a month of this is this is surprisingly fun. I do not have to cover as much ground by hitting run around FHs. I actually control most of the game with my inverted BH-blocking, pushing putting the ball in difficult positions. I am shocked at my transition-except I was blocking more with LP the last year or so as I was slow of foot. Now I actually feel very quick at the table and blocking is infinitely easier with inverted if you are at the table and the ball is ripped to your BH. I am also enjoying hitting winners with my BH.

As I left the club at closing I wanted MORE. Much more.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 18:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good luck with the double inverted vanjr! I hope it works for you, but I suspect you might be back with the pips. 8)

Great to see you got some enthusiasm back though.., sometimes an equipment change can do just that! :up:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 19:37 

Interesting note about TRANSITION.

If one keeps the inverted BH bat high enough to match the incoming ball, then using the different BH shots and also transition to FH is seamless and natural.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 21:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv-I sure HOPE I am back on the pips some day. It will mean I have lost some weight and moving quicker. I love the variety that LP bring to the game and I love chopping some one down. Most at my club see this as a "phase" I am going through and expect me to be back with pips soon. I love using LP. However unless I lose some weight and can move better I think this may be better for my game overall. A common perception is that as we get older and slower that LP slow the game down and help us stay more competitive. But for my playing style I do not think so. I am not a classic at the table LP blocker and my chop block is as ugly and useless as anyone has ever seen.

I would think as I have just transitioned that I would play a FH oriented game since there is no change in equipment there and my FH is much better than my BH. However I am finding I am staying balanced but to almost favouring my BH.

Der-Thank you for your advice. I am sure your are right about hand height. I have not gotten to addressing the technical aspects of my BH yet. A brief filming session during my last couple of training sessions show I am doing at least several things wrong with the BH-the first one I think I need to work on is that I hit the ball with my BH too far away from my body so my arm is almost fulling extended at contact. Keeping my hand up and BH/FH transitions is another thing as you say I need to address!

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 23:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am about 6 weeks into my switch back to double inverted after 9 years as a LP chopper/modern defender wanna be.

I am close to settling on equipment. I am pretty happy with either the double fish carbon qi blade (normal sized head) or the hao shui 729 blade which has carbon on just one side-head is a little larger than normal. I have been playing with Chinese rubber on FH (729-08es) and a european/japaneses on BH-right now I have razka 7 on the double fish blade and juic nano spin II on the HS blade. I do have an unopened sheet of tenergy80 to try. Both blades are relatively light which helps having come from LP to double max sponged inverted.

My most recent epiphany with this set up is that I do not have to give up defence. Indeed fishing as a defence strategy looking to counter attack is a very doable strategy and very fun. Its actually much easier to fish than to chop with LP off the table at the moment.

I need to decide on the blades (either one) and get a second and firm up the equipment decision and move forward.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 20:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well, I am about 6 months into my switch from LP BH to double inverted-again after 9 plus years with LP on my BH. I have my first tournament this week, but it is small and unsanctioned and almost all will by m local club members. I am not sure if it will tell me much. Hope to video some matches and see how bad it looks. I do plan to post results.

My current equipment of double fish carbon with 729-08 ES on FH and six shooter AMP-both max sponge are both good in the control area, but I don't have the put away power that I used to. I am thinking of putting the729-08 ES on my BH and trying outlaw or 729 origin on my FH or maybe even Rasant (that how we make the sponge really got me going:)

Its always a struggle on what is best in terms of racket/rubber speed and power. I feel like I am way over on the control side. Sure I can wind up and take a huge swing for a winner at times, but it seems a faster set up so I do not need to work so hard may help. Course I will lose control on the short game/blocking:(

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 22:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Made the A group but did poorly (no match wins) in singles. Did win Doubles finals. Link has a short video with me in a few points (white guy with glasses and dark blue shirt mostly lobbing) at end of news segment.

http://www.kristv.com/videos/games-of-texas-continues-with-boxing-and-table-tennis/

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 23:46 

haha, saw ya Vanjr...

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 00:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Der_Echte wrote:
haha, saw ya Vanjr...

ditto...don't ya hate it when they only show one of your worst shots! :punch: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next