OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 18:00 

What is your opinion on VKM + dtecs. I use it currently but feel it's too fast & hard to control for the harder shots necessary against higher level opponents. Not sure if blade is too fast, or the combo doesn't work. I have a defplay, plus a sauer firestarter and giant dragon talon incoming which I'm told are slower without sacrificing too much FH offense.

I don't want to blame the equipment but it's currently not easy to return power loops with a chopblock near the table.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 18:13 
The King

irenic wrote:
What is your opinion on VKM + dtecs. I use it currently but feel it's too fast & hard to control for the harder shots necessary against higher level opponents. Not sure if blade is too fast, or the combo doesn't work. I have a defplay, plus a sauer firestarter and giant dragon talon incoming which I'm told are slower without sacrificing too much FH offense.

I don't want to blame the equipment but it's currently not easy to return power loops with a chopblock near the table.

It depends a lot on the vkm blade, mine is quite slow but I have tried other people's vkm which were noticeable faster. Defplay and d-tecs work well but again a large weight range difference with the defplay blades. I wrote about this in another thread, drying blades in an oven can help getting the weight (and feel) of blades closer together.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 18:35 

I don't think my vkm is fast, it's quite thin and not so heavy. d.tecs is said to work wonders for the stop block shot, even with more passive stroke. Right now the ball simply sails long against power loops, unless chopped blocked with quite a bit of force. "Rolling" over the top against them works passably, but hard to control as dtecs is a fast LP. I can do the chop block fine with typical ALL looping blades and a slower LP, but have gotten used to the dtecs reversal for all other shots. Just not what I expected given d.tec's reputation. Maybe it's because it's attached with glue sheet that comes with the rubber.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 22:14 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
The Defplay is about as slow as you'll get, and the breaking effect is good for me with either Dtecs or Dornenglanz. With the Dornenglanz, I can chop-block my coaches 2300 level loops close to the table, but I have to be spot on. I had a harder time doing this with the faster Dtecs, but chop blocks are better with Dornenglanz in my opinion...more under. You just have to account for the flex of the defplay which, if you're not careful, will send the ball higher, and therefore "Further."

Chop-block is my best at-the-table stroke and I love this on the Defplay, flex and all.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 07:25 

I've been thinking about this problem and maybe it's a confidence issue. The chop block works by bending the pips instead of "mashing" them like in a standard block. That means either the blade/pip has to be at a natural angle to bend the pip or the "chop" part does it forcibly. My downwards short chop motion is probably not very good and sailing long only makes me hesitate to go harder which this combo seems to require. That quick downward motion just feels kind of unstable from my more upright posture.

Like the flick LP attacks the bending doesn't have to be in a certain direction so I'm going to try more side-swipish chop motions by either "pushing" or "pulling" the stroke a bit (so the downward angle is closer to 45deg). These go with my natural arm motion more and have some advantage of controlling side-to-side angle better, similar to left/right-blocks of short balls.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 19:04 

I tested the strokes above and they worked pretty well. The "push" stroke (right to left) returns easily to their bh corner, and the pull stroke tends to return down the line so a bit harder. Faith in dtecs restored.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 05:06 
The King

I started testing plastic balls about one year ago(tibhar as they are used in most if not all tournaments around here) and immediately noticed the lack of speed. Nowadays things have improved a bit but there is still a big difference between brands and even between batched of the same brand.

Back then I tested lots of equipment but I settled for my then current equipment, VKM with dornenglanz and genius+optimum sound. Testing with the platic ball for months messed up my game with the celluloid ball. After that season I played with plastic exclusively with TSP balsa 3.5 with D-tecs ox and genius+ optimum sound and this is the setup I used when we started our first league season using the plastic ball. The season started terribly bad, easily our worst season ever. On top of that I got a minor should injury and I missed 2 matches. After 3 matches I decided to completely change my setup as i felt I was performing way below my level. With the DHS ball I could play well and close to my regular level as that ball has decent speed and spin. Other balls caused problems.

Why change the equipment? Well nowhere near all teams play with the DHS and while eventually the difference between balls will level out I want to at least enjoy playing. I definitely wasn't enjoying playing so it was time for a change. Most pips players will have experienced the same problems with the plastic ball: less spin, less speed, less reversal, timing is more difficult.

So i got about 20 different blades and started testing. Some slow, some fast, some stiff some soft, a bit of everything. I also got a wide variety of pips and inverted. The slower blades were too slow even with sponged pips, I needed to use too much force to get a decent speed and even then I felt opponents had too much time to react.

I also tried my old and trusted T-10 with palio ck531 A and while I enjoyed playing with this it was missing that special something it has with celluloid. With celluloid every active ball with pips was a winner, with plastic not so.

An early favorite was the stratus power defence, enough speed, great feel and good reversal even with plastic. Another early favorite was the win-tec power defence, the blade I chose after testing around 10 blades 2 years ago. As I have 6 win-tec blades and just 1 stratus I tested a bit more with the win-tec. To cut a long story short: once again this blade is a clear winner to me. I stopped using it when I started playing in a league just a bit above my level because I felt I needed a little more control. With plastic however speed is just about perfect for my style.

So the blade was set, now the rubbers. because of the sensitivity to humidity and temperature I don't really want to use d-tecs so I tested with other pips. Well that was the plan anyway. Dornenglanz is great on this blade but dornenglanz loses pips so easily I don't want to use it. About the second pip I tried was agenda and I didn't really test many more after that. While agenda was designed for chopping away from the table it is absolutely fantastic close to the table and very good away from the table using this blade and plastic balls. For the first time in months I was enjoying playing with pips again. Chop-block, chopping half distance, chopping long distance, active shots, receiving serves, passive block, active block, sidewipe,all was great.

I'm not really set on the inverted rubber yet, for now I am using a sheet of tibhar 5q sound power update as it was one of the few sheets I have that fits the blade well(the win-tec is quite large). It's light but spin is below average I think. Speed and spinwise a skyline 3 plays well on the win-tec but weight could be a bit of a problem(the same goes for victas 401). More testing to be done this coming week: genius+ optimum sound, cornilleau pilot power(i got several sheets very cheap), acuda blue and some other sheets I have lying around.

So why does this combination work so well for me? The win-tec pd has a 3.5 mm kiri core, then a relative thick( i am guessing 1.5mm) hard layer of something and a thin ayous or maybe hinoki outer layer. The feel is fantastic and I highly reccommend anyone to try a similar setup. Why similar and not the same? Well apparently win-tec stopped making the power defence blade. I found some leftover stock in England and ordered those so I am set for years to come. There seems to be an alternative though, the imperial energy def as seen here https://www.schuett-sport.de/tischtenni ... energy-def It also has a kiri core, optically it looks similar to the win-tec and it is being sold seemingly exclusively at the same shop that was selling the win-tec power defence.

I already asked peter freundlieb(tt-piet) about making custom blades with a kiri core but apparently it is quite difficult to buy kiri wood in europe.

So after a lot of suffering with the various plastic balls it seems I have found the right equipment to enjoy table tennis again.

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 18:19 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
I had same kind of problems with new ball and my rating dropped over 100 points in 2 first tournaments.

Pips had lost their disturbance, safe pip play failed and FH spinny shots were lacking. I got bit frustrated with equipment and that showed in the play.

Just now I am decently happy, as T05 have brought back lot of spin lost in FH, CWX blade has returned the speed for FH and my half slick CC is propably best that pips has to offer.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 20:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Fantastic blog-has elvis left the building now ?
elvis likes TSP Balsa 3.5 (just missed out on e bay on buying this)& the defplay.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

Last edited by peterpong on 02 Oct 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 20:08 
The King

Not dead, just resting...:-D

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 20:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

lol cool-ive some questions for you later mate.just popping out for a coffee

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 10:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Elvis56 wrote:
Not dead, just resting...:-D

Welcome back Elvis56! :rock: :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 06:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Some questions Elvis.I have managed to scramble into div 1 after 2.5yrs of playing and im really enjoying it.average is only 25% but we will see what happens later.I block very close to the table with best anti in 1.8 and i also chop with the anti.i also do a lot of blocking with soft short pips and get the forehand in now and then.so my game is all about blocking and boring my opponent to death lol.
The best blade for blocking with the anti is the defplay senso.I have cut this down as the f/h felt cumbersome.
1-do you ever cut blades down
2-do you think there are any better blocking blades for me when using antispin.
3-can you recommend a very good f/h rubber or s/p for blocking fast loops.
4-i also agree that at the top end of play you need huge control in order to absorb big attacks.ive tried a little faster but i always go back to security and control. :Defense:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6