OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 08:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You didn't spend New Year's Day editing matcg video to post? Dang!

Yoko Ono

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 08:41 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
OK - I've loaded the recorded games onto my computer - just need to edit them now. Quality isn't too bad, although sometimes camera angles could have been better.

Day 2 of the tournament was pretty decent - I was not unhappy with how I played, and I ended up runner-up in the "plate" event, winning a voucher - my best ever result in a tournament to date.

Had a practice at the weekend, unexpecetedly, and didn't have my Kitex with me, so used the slower blade (same rubbers). Definitely prefer my regular blade, so the Fibercomp Defense will be available for sale shortly.

League match today - 3/3 without any difficulty, and the team won 10-0, only dropping one leg.

Playing again tomorrow night.

Hopefully I'll have some time on wed/thu eve to edit one or two matches, and get them posted.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 19:28 
LP Collector
LP Collector

3/3 last night 3-0, 3-0, 3-1 -- shouldn't really have dropped the leg I dropped - just a lapse in concentration.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 00:57 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Overdue an update. So prior to lockdown, I was playing in four league competitons, plus British League, plus tournaments. I stopped playing in February, with a business trip, followed by lockdown in the UK. Before stopping, I was doing ok:

Local Competition One (playing as #1 in a promotion-chasing div 1 team) -- 83%
Local Competition Two (playing as #1 in a relegation-fighting lower-league team) -- 100%
Local Competition Three (playing as #3 in reigning champions top-local div team) -- 24%
Local Competition Four (playing as #1 in mid-table div 1 team) -- 55%
British League (playing at #4 in mid-table, bottom division team) - 25%

I had a few decent wins in competitions, and won my first ever "prize" as runner up in a consolation final.

In terms of equipment I started the season with inverted FH and OX LP on the BH (Andro Tensor / Curl P4) on a Balsa core blade, but I wasn't happy after the first few matches, and returned to SP/LP on a 7 ply OFF blade (651 and Dtecs then Dornenglanz).

Been able to play a bit now for the last few weeks, since I have a table, and have trained with a range of players - generally very happy with how I'm playing.

I was having a rummage around and came across my Avalox P700. I used this a few years ago, but at the time it wasn't right for me - especially on the BH. I've clearly changed since then, as I tried it out (as part of my cheap rubber experiment), and it's lovely, so current setup is 802/755/P700.

Next season (if it goes ahead!) I'm going to play with my brother in the bottom local league - he and his team mate are solid 2/3 players, but their number 3 struggles to get 1/3, so they never stand a chance of being promoted, which they really need to do, if they're to improve. I should be good for 3/3, so if they can get 1 or 2 each, we should win the league, which will be a great opportunity for them.

Amazingly this team is the team I started in back in 2012/13 - I scored 0% in my first season in this team! Now I'm going back to it!

I'll continue to play British League, and probably play in one other local league, at top-flight level, or there abouts.

Not yet sure how risk-averse I am feeling about tournaments... but I'm keen to be competing again.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 21:27 
LP Collector
LP Collector

For those of you longing for some video.... here are a few sets of me against my friend. Allowances made for conditions, lack of shoes, etc... but our club only opened yesterday, so my living room is the best we've had until now!

And here are some edited highlights of my best points:

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 03:11 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Had a chance to practice with PG yesterday and today. PG I think is the very first or maybe second video I ever made of me playing:

Here's a video of me playing a conditional match - best of 5, PG has to serve every point, and if I play three LP shots in a row, PG gets the point. I won 3-0:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 06:47 

Blade: Def +
FH: Slow tacky inverted 1.5
BH: Slow grippy LP ox
LordCope wrote:
For those of you longing for some video.... here are a few sets of me against my friend. Allowances made for conditions, lack of shoes, etc... but our club only opened yesterday, so my living room is the best we've had until now!

And here are some edited highlights of my best points:

Hi,
I saw your first video (just for reference, this is my first time to see you playing). I want to give you some tips based on that video clip.

1. Try to not twiddle! (at least on practice matches). It's too early for you to twidle. You have to learn some basics first.
2. Learn proper forehand, include your legs and the body. Shorten the hand movement, for reference watch
Mattias Falck how he uses his forhand short pips :).
3. Backhand (long pips) try to be more aggressive, play chop/chop block or aggressive push and also attack those higher balls when you are close table. Sideswipe is a good addition for service return too. When half/away you should chop.

Learn the proper strokes even you lose the next 20-30 matches.

Hope this helps :).

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2022, 01:53 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Thought I'd check in - I read the forum from time to time.

I more or less gave up competitive TT at the start of the year. I felt I'd achieved some goals - played senior british league, won local league twice with two different teams. And I felt I was spending too much time indoors, travelling, etc. I wanted a break. I've turned out as a reserve a few times, but generally I'm just playing socially, mostly with the social Tuesday group.

Not caring about the result has been a weight off my shoulders - especially not worrying about letting the team down. It also means I am happy to experiment - and mess around. I've played a bit of jpen, which is fun, but I'm pretty settled with the tried and tested blade, dtecs 0.5 on the bh and anything on the FH - currently some PF4.

I doubt I'll get back into tournaments and league play, but I am still enjoying playing. I do still like to train, so might go to some camps in the winter.

As I write this I realise I started playing this time ten years ago... summer 2012... what a lot of time has passed!

Very best wishes to all forum members!

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2022, 22:19 
LP Collector
LP Collector

I've played a few times in the last week or two. The main change being I went back to a thinner FH rubber. I like the PF4, but as my main attacking weapon is a flat hit, I tend to find with my fast-ish blade that a thin and soft-sponged rubber is best. I'm also better at chopping with the thinner rubber. My go-to has typically been TSP Triple Spin Chop, but this isn't made any more, and the one I have is in grotty condition, so I may try a few others. On the "to try list" are:

- Spinlord Marder
- Secret Flow
- Tackiness Chop
- Andro Backside C (Tackiness Chop Clone?)
- Dr N Special Defence
- Donic Slice
- Tibhar Super Defence

The Spinlord and Secret Flow are the cheapest so may be where I start, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences of any of the above.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 00:55 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
LordCope wrote:
I've played a few times in the last week or two. The main change being I went back to a thinner FH rubber. I like the PF4, but as my main attacking weapon is a flat hit, I tend to find with my fast-ish blade that a thin and soft-sponged rubber is best. I'm also better at chopping with the thinner rubber. My go-to has typically been TSP Triple Spin Chop, but this isn't made any more, and the one I have is in grotty condition, so I may try a few others. On the "to try list" are:

- Spinlord Marder
- Secret Flow
- Tackiness Chop
- Andro Backside C (Tackiness Chop Clone?)
- Dr N Special Defence
- Donic Slice
- Tibhar Super Defence

The Spinlord and Secret Flow are the cheapest so may be where I start, but I'd be interested in anyone's experiences of any of the above.

I found TC rather too slow and the hard sponge does not help much to control the pips.Chops alright.Too pricey for my liking - for what it offers-

The great thing about Spinlord Marder is that it has a dampening effect on the pips.With Marder the pips will never get speedy.It very well chops ; has decent spin; blocks alright , tons of control but it is slow,your loops will be slow-you can't get everything,can you? .

Donic Slice chops very well ; has decent spin, blocks alright but it is slow as well ; because of the high price I prefer Marder.

Tibhar Super Defence chops superwell with great spin,blocks well .However,you will notice your pips will behave much more differently than with a soft sponge.TSD sponge is semihard and it does influence both the feeling and the control over the pips.On 0.5 you cannot loop, at least 1.5 to have a decent topspin.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 01:34 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Thanks - that's really useful. I was worried about the firmness of the TSD, so good to have that confirmed. I thought TC had a soft sponge, but I agree, it's pretty expensive. Marder seems like a no-brainer for now - so I will try that. I am intrigued by the Secret Flow - I know a decent VBL player who uses Secret Flow, and swears by it. The Dr N is also very expensive, and I'm skeptical of whether I could justify the extra cost.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 01:52 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
LordCope wrote:
Thanks - that's really useful. I was worried about the firmness of the TSD, so good to have that confirmed. I thought TC had a soft sponge, but I agree, it's pretty expensive. Marder seems like a no-brainer for now - so I will try that. I am intrigued by the Secret Flow - I know a decent VBL player who uses Secret Flow, and swears by it. The Dr N is also very expensive, and I'm skeptical of whether I could justify the extra cost.

Secret Flow has a tensor sponge and so does Nittaku Moristo Def . I have never played with SF but I guess it plays similar to NM Def,which is an excellent rubber.

Yes, I am sure SF will be a very good option too!!!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2022, 03:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

So after a bit of experimentation I went for Juic 999, which I liked very much. Played with it solidly for a few weeks, with good results, until taking a break to do some other stuff over the summer.

When I came back the setup just didn't feel right at all - what I was liking about the thin, spinny rubber wasn't feeling nice, and after 6 weeks off the Kitex and Dtecs just felt way too fast - I was making a lot of unforced errors, and I didn't feel like I was in control of the equipment.

Second session back I tried a slower setup - defplay senso which already had some black DG stuck to it. I didn't have any red FH inverted rubbers, but I had some 651 left in the stores, so slapped that on the FH. Half a dozen sessions later I'm very happy with it, so think it's a keeper (for now!)

The new season beckons, and I decided this year to scale back my commitments and ambitions. Last year I was playing 4 local leagues, and British League, as well as the Grand Prix and other ratings events. This year I'm only playing in two local league teams, in the lower divisions.

I'm playing for one club - the original club I joined back in 2012. I was asked if I would play in one team by a person for whom I have a lot of time and affection, and who has some health issues which means he may be unable to play much this season. The other team is a new team starting in the bottom division, with some players I have played with recreationally, but for whom league play is a new adventure. I figured that having an experienced player, and someone who is likely to get 3/3 most times will take the pressure off, and if I can give some coaching and support on the night I think that could be very rewarding.

I don't see myself entering any weekend tournaments this year, but we'll see. The overall approach for the season is to be a support and to serve the club, rather than worry about my own ambitions and results.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2022, 06:06 
LP Collector
LP Collector

2nd last practice before league starts. Played with PG, who was playing much better than he has been in recent weeks - won 2-1, and didn't feel in danger, but not as comfortable as usual. Then played BD - won the first very comfortably, then took my foot off the gas and let him sneak a 12-10 win in the second, and his confidence soared, and he went for everything in the 3rd, and won 11-9. Lesson learned - keep the pressure up! Knocked for a bit with a new player, and then played a match with him, winning 3-0. Then played JG - comfortable 3-0 win. Finished with JC - won the first, lost the second 12-10, and lost the third 12-10. Finished with a bit of doubles with my new team mate. Good fun night. I wasn't ask sharp as on Monday and I wasn't taking it very seriously, but all good.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2022, 01:43 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Didn't get to practice last night, so went to tuesday afternoon session, just to move my legs and get some table time before the first match of the season on Thursday.

I'm not sure what tennis/golf elbow/rsi is, but for the last week I've felt some pain below my elbow, which I can feel when playing. If I'm playing flowing, controlled shots, blocks, chops, guided shots etc it's ok, but attacking shots hurt a bit, so I was being a little more cautious than usual. We'll have to see how that feels on Thursday.

I played three singles matches against mid-tier opponents - much stronger than the folk I'll be playing against in one league (where I'm playing in a new team in the bottom division), and probably equivalent to the number 3s of the teams in the other league (where I'm playing premier). I won all 3 3-0, without any great effort, and felt like my control and reading and movement were pretty good, which was what I was aiming for.

I may get some practice in tomorrow, but unlikely, so next up is my first prem match of the season on Thu. Our team is expected a mid-table finish - we wouldn't be expecting to contend to win the league, but we certainly wouldn't expect to be struggling to stay up either, so a nice level really. I've won the league as the #3 for the last three seasons, so it's a nice change. In terms of team mates, on paper I'm probably #1, but I think we're all broadly players who would likely get 2/3 most nights, sometimes 3/3, and occasionally 1/3, which is a pretty solid squad to be honest.

I also played doubles with my new team mate (in the weaker team). He's in his 80s, and doesn't move very well, but he gets the ball back, and uses LP to block quite effectively. We make a decent team - last week we were a few points off beating a very strong partnership, and we comfortably beat another strong team today, so I'm excited about the prospects of us as a doubles team in the league.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 68  Next