OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: Auzcar's Adventures
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 19:08 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I think SP is easier now because of ABS-ball with less spin.

I tried SP chopping a few years ago when we had the first plastic balls. 802 was good but difficult against good loops. But you can impart a lot of spin with it. So if you can handle it, go for it. Chopse your sponge carefully though. You could try 802-1 also.

Spectol original is a great allround rubber and very good for chopping, more control and softer feel than 802. But you can’t make as much spin with it. And blocking/attacking is not as easy. But I used VKM and when I tried it on JSH it was much better (but at that time I had gone down the anti-path). So try stiff blades, not soft.

Another pip you should consider is Super Spinpips chop sponge 2. Same sponge as P-4 (or similar to FIII), very good control and you make a lot of spin. I have a black sheet 1,5 if you are interested.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 19:35 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Def-attack wrote:
I think SP is easier now because of ABS-ball with less spin.

I tried SP chopping a few years ago when we had the first plastic balls. 802 was good but difficult against good loops. But you can impart a lot of spin with it. So if you can handle it, go for it. Chopse your sponge carefully though. You could try 802-1 also.

Spectol original is a great allround rubber and very good for chopping, more control and softer feel than 802. But you can’t make as much spin with it. And blocking/attacking is not as easy. But I used VKM and when I tried it on JSH it was much better (but at that time I had gone down the anti-path). So try stiff blades, not soft.

Another pip you should consider is Super Spinpips chop sponge 2. Same sponge as P-4 (or similar to FIII), very good control and you make a lot of spin. I have a black sheet 1,5 if you are interested.

I'm pretty set on the JSH blade and I'm gonna try not to EJ too much this time haha. 802 and Spetol are both proven rubbers for this style. I'll test them both and then choose the one I like the most. I liked 802 and I would be content with that (it's also dirt cheap), but Spectol seems like the default choice among SP choppers so I feel I have to try that. Spectol 21 felt good but it was way too bouncy, I expect the regular Spectol to be a lot more dead. It was quite noticeable when changing between 802 and Spectol 21, with 802 my chops were consistently on the white line and with Spectol 21 they were consistently 10cm long... Both low and with a lot of spin though.

Since you've tried both 802 and Spectol, what are your thoughts of comparison in these areas:
1. Grip/Ability to impart spin, especially on pushes
2. Speed/bounciness
3. Spin sensitivity

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 20:11 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

It was many years ago... so memory is foggy :).

But 802 can generate more spin on pushes. Spectol is a tad more bouncy since it is softer and 802 is more dead. But the white softer sponge on 802 instead of orange can make it different. 802 has a harder top sheet so it feels a little faster on smashes but I would guess Spectol is a little faster. It depens on the stroke and impact I guess. 802 is a little more sensitive to spin but it can also be a little different if you use the side of the pips or not. But all this may be different with the new ball...

Try chopping against slow spinny loops with both rubbers. And return services. Spectol can give some spin refersal and make the ball wobble a little.
Not sure if 802 does that. But it is anyhow so little effect that it won’t win you any points...

I would glue them both to the same blade and the try chopping and pushes. And blocking and maybe attacking.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 20:36 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
It was many years ago... so memory is foggy :).

But 802 can generate more spin on pushes. Spectol is a tad more bouncy since it is softer and 802 is more dead. But the white softer sponge on 802 instead of orange can make it different. 802 has a harder top sheet so it feels a little faster on smashes but I would guess Spectol is a little faster. It depens on the stroke and impact I guess. 802 is a little more sensitive to spin but it can also be a little different if you use the side of the pips or not. But all this may be different with the new ball...

Try chopping against slow spinny loops with both rubbers. And return services. Spectol can give some spin refersal and make the ball wobble a little.
Not sure if 802 does that. But it is anyhow so little effect that it won’t win you any points...

I would glue them both to the same blade and the try chopping and pushes. And blocking and maybe attacking.

Thanks! I'll probably get the regular Spectol until thursday and then I can compare them side by side.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 06:23 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Had another session with 802 and Spectol 21. I don't know, I'm safer chopping loops with Spectol but get more spin with 802 and pretty much every other stroke besides chopping is better. Will have to wait for the regular Spectol and see. If I were to choose right now it would be 802 but lets see how mich difference the regular sponge makes.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 15:27 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I'm thinking I might save some money and send the Spectol back and go for 802. What's been working so well this far with SP is the amount of spin I can put on my pushes and first chops and I feel the difference between the rubbers here is pretty substancial. It seems to be a lot easier to attack my chops and pushes when I have Spectol, maybe it's the sponge or my technique but I can't imagine that a slightly firmer and more dead sponge would magically add that much spin. I'm also safer in pushing and attacking with 802. I won more matches with 802 yesterday.

Haven't decided yet though, consistency when chopping is a big part of this style but I also feel that consistency and quality when pushing is an even bigger part.

Also noticed that the 802 I had was in fact 2mm, and not 1,8 as I thought. Took my calipers out and measured it, also found the order on my email and it confirmed it... Don't know if I should go with 1,8 or 1,5 now, I was set on 1,5 but since the speed ha en't been the hard part with 2,0 I'm now a bit uncertain...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 17:23 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

auzcar wrote:
I'm thinking I might save some money and send the Spectol back and go for 802. What's been working so well this far with SP is the amount of spin I can put on my pushes and first chops and I feel the difference between the rubbers here is pretty substancial. It seems to be a lot easier to attack my chops and pushes when I have Spectol, maybe it's the sponge or my technique but I can't imagine that a slightly firmer and more dead sponge would magically add that much spin. I'm also safer in pushing and attacking with 802. I won more matches with 802 yesterday.

Haven't decided yet though, consistency when chopping is a big part of this style but I also feel that consistency and quality when pushing is an even bigger part.

Also noticed that the 802 I had was in fact 2mm, and not 1,8 as I thought. Took my calipers out and measured it, also found the order on my email and it confirmed it... Don't know if I should go with 1,8 or 1,5 now, I was set on 1,5 but since the speed ha en't been the hard part with 2,0 I'm now a bit uncertain...

802 is so cheap so you can afford like 3 sheets on one Spectol. Go back and read leatherbacks blog and his adventures with 802, that might help. Those sponges does not ad much in speed I guess but more feel and softness. There is also the white HRS-sponge and the Mystery. Also, being able to block close to the table can be good, and that may be better with x or y sponge.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 18:42 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
802 is so cheap so you can afford like 3 sheets on one Spectol.

This. Can order from Japsko, 120kr...

I'm really confused right now, I found two sheets of Spectol 1,7-1,9 at home last week, and I can find two old orders of Spectol on my mail. One of them is for a Spectol 21 and one of them is of a regular Spectol. I thought the two I found looked and felt exactly the same when I pressed on the sponge. I might have been playing with a regular Spectol already, or maybe it's the sheet I didn't glue. The sponge is the same color... I've been trying to find out how to tell the difference but haven't found anything. Since I will receive the Spectol tomorrow or today anyways I guess I can just have a look at the sponge and compare. If it turns out I've tried the regular one already it's certainly not any point in trying the new sheet as well.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2018, 21:54 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Tested 802 1.5mm and Spectol 1.5mm today and it turned out the difference in spin production when pushing was pretty small in the same thickness. 2mm+ is too thick to chop with for me and thus I'm going with Spectol since I like the feeling of it more and I'm safer when chopping with it.

My FH was the best it's been all season, it really gives my FH more power as well as feeling when I have som sponge and heft on the BH (compared to ox lp).

This is gonna be a fun experiment :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30