OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 09:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 29 May 2024, 02:45 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: VS>401
BH: Curl P-1V OX
Good to know I did not do much harm with my coaching, which was more like 'cheering' at best :)

Yes, saw your results against that pips girl, well - stuff happens. And sure, it's difficult to stay 'in the zone' through the day - one of the reasons I gave up on the idea of playing too many events in a day (used to do 3 on Sundays...). If I'm not mistaken, the guy your son lost to in U2200 SE bracket made it to the final, so I guess he was a bit underrated too.

Let's see how Diode works - I was going to get Diode V Pro (slower), but they only had FL handle, and I'm not really fond of these lately.

Last edited by pgpg on 29 May 2024, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 May 2024, 10:35 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
pgpg wrote:
the guy your son lost to in U2200 SE bracket made it to the final, so I guess he was a bit underrated too.

ha...even better: my son had a match point at 2:1 10:9 on that guy... imagine how heartbroken he was to lose deuce in the 5th.

re Diode Pro -- never tried it as I think Diode V aka regular Diode is not that fast to begin with. The only difference is the "Pro" one being 0.2mm thinner. At our level, I am pretty sure it would be very difficult to tell the two apart in a blind test.

PostPosted: 29 May 2024, 11:59 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
pgpg wrote:
Let's see how Diode works - I was going to get Diode V Pro (slower), but they only had FL handle, and I'm not really fond of these lately.

Just wait for the ST to show up there.
I got me the FL in a hurry, after that when I was in a local store handling the ST a couple of weeks later, I regretted not waiting for the ST. The FL is not bad, regular/normal, but I feel the ST is much better on this one.

PostPosted: 29 May 2024, 12:15 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

rokphish2 wrote:
pgpg wrote:

I got me the FL in a hurry, after that when I was in a local store handling the ST a couple of weeks later, I regretted not waiting for the ST. The FL is not bad, regular/normal, but I feel the ST is much better on this one.

Yeah, I ended up getting usual Diode V in ST handle.

Spent some time in the club tonight trying out Nittaku Shake Defense vs. Defplay Senso vs. Sword 309. As expected, Defplay felt most close to BTY Defense Alpha, speed wise. It had pretty old AK47 Blue on its FH, so that will need to be replaced with H3 Neo. Still want t o compare to VKM and Diode :) . One thing I actually like about Defplay is its weight - quite light, and I find it helpful close to the table.

Just for fun in all matches tonight I tried to stick to chopping - served backspin to BH, drop back and chop returns. Worked pretty well (mostly).

PostPosted: 29 May 2024, 12:40 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

pgpg wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:
pgpg wrote:

Yeah, I ended up getting usual Diode V in ST handle.

Spent some time in the club tonight trying out Nittaku Shake Defense vs. Defplay Senso vs. Sword 309. As expected, Defplay felt most close to BTY Defense Alpha, speed wise. It had pretty old AK47 Blue on its FH, so that will need to be replaced with H3 Neo. Still want t o compare to VKM and Diode :) . One thing I actually like about Defplay is its weight - quite light, and I find it helpful close to the table.

Just for fun in all matches tonight I tried to stick to chopping - served backspin to BH, drop back and chop returns. Worked pretty well (mostly).

Could be my mind play a trick on me, but I feel the Diode Pro ST feels better than Diode V ST. But I didn't try it at the same time. I will try to do so next time. Will see if the store has both at the same time, or I need to bring my Diode V ST along.
Overall I'm liking Diode Pro more than Diode V for me. On the other hand, I also like 08X more than Diode V. For me Diode V is in between these two in feel and performance.

It's been a long time since I played with Defplay Senso, and even much longer since I played with Def Alpha, but I feel Def Alpha is even slower than Defplay. Need to revisit them again later when I go back to visit Indonesia and dig them out from the storage.

Could you elaborate on the comparison between NSD, Defplay, 309, and Diode V? And/or other def blades you used?
Thank you!

PostPosted: 29 May 2024, 22:06 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

rokphish2 wrote:
It's been a long time since I played with Defplay Senso, and even much longer since I played with Def Alpha, but I feel Def Alpha is even slower than Defplay. Need to revisit them again later when I go back to visit Indonesia and dig them out from the storage.

Could you elaborate on the comparison between NSD, Defplay, 309, and Diode V? And/or other def blades you used?
Thank you!

Not super scientific and highly personal, but here it goes. Comparing to BTY Defense Alpha/H3Neo/ Cloud&Fog III) based on very recent, as in last couple of days, and more distant experience

NSD/Fastarc G-1/Dtecs (153g) - faster, and a bit heavier.

Defplay Senso/AK47 Blue(?)/Dtecs (143g) - about the same speed and weight, a bit more head heavy. Closest in feel to Alpha combo so far.

Sword 309/Tenergy05/Sword Scylla(?) - even faster (both due to blade and FH rubber).

Matsushita Pro/DHS PF4/Palio CK531a (158g) - faster and heavier, with more muted tone. Never could figure out chopping with it.

VKM/VS>401/Curl P4 (1mm) (167g) - more solid and dull feeling. Heavier. Conparable in speed. Handle feels a bit short. Chops were not too dangerous IIRC and I had trouble with close to the table pips play. Pips side was definitely slow (P4 has that dampening sponge, I believe), so I had to really put an effort in to land chops deep on the table, at least compared to what I was used to with OX rubber.

Dr. N. Barricade def/AK47/Air UpUpUp (0.5mm) (122 g :o ) - slowest and lightest of them all. IIRC it was reasonably good at chopping, as far as landing the ball, but I think it was not that difficult for my opponents to loop back. Was much better at close to the table play IMHO, my most recent opponent said that much.

Last edited by pgpg on 01 Jun 2024, 10:44, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 31 May 2024, 10:23 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

pgpg wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:

Thank you!

Not super scientific and highly personal, but here it goes. Comparing to BTY Defense Alpha/H3Neo/ Cloud&Fog III) based on very recent, as in last couple of days, and more distant (in italics) experience

NSD/Fastarc G-1/Dtecs (153g) - faster, and a bit heavier.

Defplay Senso/AK47 Blue(?)/Dtecs (143g) - about the same speed and weight, a bit more head heavy. Closest in feel to Alpha combo so far.

Sword 309/Tenergy05/Sword Scylla(?) - even faster (both due to blade and FH rubber).

Matsushita Pro/DHS PF4/Palio CK531a - faster and heavier, with more muted tone. Never could figure out chopping with it.

VKM/VS>401/Curl P4 (1mm) (167g) - more solid and dull feeling. Heavier. Conparable in speed. Handle feels a bit short. Chops were not too dangerous IIRC and I had trouble with close to the table pips play

Dr. N. Barricade def/AK47/Air UpUpUp (0.5mm) - slowest and lightest of them all. IIRC it was reasonably good at chopping, as far as landing the ball, but I think it was not that difficult for my opponents to loop back. Was much better at close to the table play IMHO.
Thank you!

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2024, 10:46 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Lost 60+ points from the last Westchester tourney, which is OK, no biggie. Diode blade showed up, will try to put it together with what I have lying around in LP department (H3 Neo for FH). 95g bare blade, so not that light.

Post subject: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2024, 11:07 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

You should search for the weight. I have one ST with 86gr. I’ve seen another at 88-89gr at the store. One I used recently was 89gr FL. Unless heavier one is what you’re after.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 05:50 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Diode ended up with Curl P1-r (1.3mm) and H3 Neo. Also put Cloud&Fog III (1mm) onto VKM. Both are much faster on BH side for chopping compared to my OX combos, so ball tends to go high and long. I think I've got used to low trajectory chops from OX, so was having trouble landing shots with sponged LP. Used rubber glue to put them on, may be got some booster effect going, will check in a few days again.

Curl P1 is pretty nasty close to the table, even with sponge, which I didn't expect.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 08:35 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Have you tried Yinhe 955 and/or Dawei 388D-2?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 08:46 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

rokphish2 wrote:

No. Did try Dawei 388-D1, though, pretty sure. It's quite decent close to the table IMHO.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 10:06 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

pgpg wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:

No. Did try Dawei 388-D1, though, pretty sure. It's quite decent close to the table IMHO.
Oh okay. D2 is quite different though.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2024, 03:01 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
Diode ended up with Curl P1-r (1.3mm) and H3 Neo. Also put Cloud&Fog III (1mm) onto VKM. Both are much faster on BH side for chopping compared to my OX combos, so ball tends to go high and long. I think I've got used to low trajectory chops from OX, so was having trouble landing shots with sponged LP. Used rubber glue to put them on, may be got some booster effect going, will check in a few days again.

Curl P1 is pretty nasty close to the table, even with sponge, which I didn't expect.

BTW... if you find a bare Diode to be a bit heavy, try putting an OX rubber on it. I try to vary my FH rubbers depending on the blade. One of my Diodes (the one I used at Westchester) is around 99-100g, so I played with a 2.0 FH rubber on that one. My other Diode is about 96-97g, so I use MAX rubbers on that one and even cut it with some overhang along the blade wings.

P1R is definitely a heavy rubber and more bouncy than anything OX. Speaking of its effects, I played against a guy rated 2060 (maybe you know him) who used it in a 1.0 thickness for blocking/hitting close to the table. You'd think that 99% of people playing his style would use Dtecs Grass in OX, but he used P1R and it was NASTY. It had some serious speed when he hit... go figure. :?:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2024, 02:48 
Super User

Any recent matches with Diode V? Still your go to blade?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next