OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 14:29 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I'm 35 and one of those crazy fools still dreaming of elevating my Table Tennis talent beyond reach :lol: ...

readers beware : bad english

I learned playing table tennis when I was 9. My father fabricated table for pingpong use and tought me how to play. My first racket was a bat made of plywood sawed in the shape of pingpong bat. It was fitted using interior of bicycle tires (thus the term rubber). My height is quite taller compared to the average filipino child. I have no problem (AFAIR) reaching the table. My older brother and sister also played the game. I also used fabricated bat fitted with sand paper.

I first competed in school when I was in grade 5 ( 11 ). I won the gold medal and repeated when I was in grade 6. That is the only competition I joined in Elementary. That was the time I played using premade bat. I still remember the brand. (Lion). I played regularly competing with my brothers friend who are 7 years older than me thus I developed my game faster.

I lived in a town where table tennis is quite popular. There was a place where you can play table tennis at the cost of 0.35 cents per game. You only pay if you lose. Winner do not pay. This was a good training ground because you can always challenge the winner until they quit. You do not sit down if you are winning. I was 14 when I become courageous enough to challenge the regulars. My basic of the game is quite good. Although I lose with the regulars, the owner of the place notice my potential :rofl: . He asked me to go back on Saturdays and play him. The owner plays at the national level and very competitive during that time. That was the start of some serious table tennis.

until my next blog :D

Last edited by Red_lion on 02 Dec 2011, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 17:23 

Blade: JSH
FH: Barracuda 2.0
BH: Curl P2 0.5
Hi Emm21,

nice story and don't worry about your english, a lot of the members here do not have english as their mother tongue so probably most of the typo's are even undetected :)

I think it helps a lot that you played with 'strange' paddles (sandpaper, tires etc) this really improves your touch on the ball.
... since I play with long pips on my backhand I noticed that my backhand strokes with the inverted rubber (after twidling) improved a lot. If you cannot rely on the 'stickyness' of the inverted rubbers you really need to make a proper stroke to control the ball.

Your first post ended at the age of 14 so I'm looking forward to the other 21 years :-)
cheers,

Gy!be

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 14:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hey Emm,

Glad to see you starting a blog. Its an amazing testament to this great game that people will find a way to play it when the "proper" equipment is not available. I'm sure it makes you wonder why more westerners who have access to virtually whatever equipment they like, don't take up the sport. As for your English, you get your message across just fine. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 20:16 

Hi, emm, you have taken a new approach in your blog. Most of the other contributors write on the present events, but you are dealing with your table tennis history. This is interesting. Many members of this forum will be interested in what you will write since they have taken up this sport for various reasons. Keep on posting.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 14:33 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Gybe, Reb, Najay,

Thank you for the kind words.

Now to continue..

Everything can be chopped..

That was the basic embedded in me. I don't know who first tought me this principle but it has been my practice. I learned to chopped on FH and BH pretty good and learned how to execute flat drive very well. With a thin pre-made bat, I know you'll agree with me that you can control the ball pretty well cutting and chopping. And on the elementary level, service from opponent are literally easy to return. Heading into the big league, my brother bought me a brand new pre-made bat. It is better than my current bat ( Lion and Addoy ). At the age of 14, it was the first time I was introduced to Double Happiness. The model was 6512, quite good and heavy for a premade bat during that time.

This was my bat as I headed back to the playing venue. It was my first saturday playing with the pingpong master. Everybody call him " Manong " butch. First, he tested my forehand return. Quite good. Then the back hand. I suck and can't return back hand consistently. I never practiced pushing. And this was the basic the pingpong master is trying to teach me. My basic is primarily chopping and flat drive. I tried to learn from him and learned pretty quick. This time, I learned that you can push not just chopped when making service return. :lol:

I made good progress with my back hand. I learned how to execute top spin properly too. That was the lesson for the day.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 13:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

While I am 10 years further out from 14 than you Emm, I can't recall much detail of my TT at that time. How do you do it?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2011, 10:01 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Reb,

I have a hard time remembering peoples name but had a good memory on events. I can recall details of events even when I was 5. For my blog, I'm trying to tell the story as far as I remember :rofl:

Back to my blog.. I learned to push, block, spin and flat drive pretty well with regular practice with the owner. I learned to combine this newly acquired skill with my chopping and cutting. Likewise, I found a new trainer who tought me how to execute effective side spin. I was awed with the amount of spin generated and the curving effect on the ball once it landed on the table. I can execute top spin and side spin quite effectively combining all this skill.
My brother then bought me fresh pair of PF4 rubbers and fitted to my existing paddle. This was my sword for the succeeding 2 years. I won 2 school championship, and 2 championship for class b tournament using this weapon and constant practice ( my coach joined the class a tourney ). However, there was a setback with my table tennis career. Our school was no longer joining provincial , regional and national sporting events during my junior and senior year in high school. I decided to slow down playing table tennis from 4 to 5 times a week to once a week and sometimes played for recreational purpose only.
I went back into competitive play when I attended college in an Engineering School in Manila ( Mapua ). There was an announcement for the selection of varsity team..

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 17:10 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Before the varsity selection, I went back playing on a daily basis. I found a bible study center with a table tennis playing venue to attract people. Went there playing and studying the bible. But concentrated more on playing :lol: .
I upgraded my rubber. I ended up buying Yasaka black power on the forehand and friendship ( can't remember the model ) on the backhand. I was so attracted with the packaging of the Yasaka black power promising offense from the black rubber.
I was able to find my rythm and blasted all opposition in the bible study center. I was able to find a playing partner who was a varsity of our rival school. I had an easy time defeating him and my confidence was back. He became my friend and introduced me to different playing venue within the university belt ( Intramuros area ). I was able to defeat also the junior champion of NCAA ( yes you heard it, Philippines copied NCAA of US ) as well. Now I'm ready for the try out.

The tryout was scheduled on a Sunday. I skipped our military training and headed for the tryout. It was handled by the senior member of the varsity team. I easily made it on the top 4. I was put in a reserve position and was advised to join training.

On the try out, I befriended a fellow freshman who made it also to the top 4. His style was very hard to defeat. He is a left handed penholder. We did not play in the try out.

He invited me to play in his area. We are staying in the same vicinity and found his place near to my place. It was a building owned by a chinese with a lot of filipino chinese player. It is our first time to play. We had a friendly bet to keep playing serious. He defeated me 3-2 with very close game. It could have been anybody's game. Then he introduced me to an elderly fellow, also a fil-chinese.

I was very frustrated playing the elderly guy. It seems that I'm a beginner and not able to put my shot into order. My spin are flying all over the place. The only thing that keeps me going was my chopping. Then after he blasted me, I saw his racket. It was a pips-out racket of which I'm not familiar with and my first time playing with a pips-out. That was one hell of a lesson.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 17:32 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

The year was 1993. My chance to succeed in Table Tennis. Training and final selection was scheduled on christmas break on the 2nd semester. After receiving my final grades on the first semester, I found out that my grades are not that good. My family advice me to concentrate on my studies. I have to make my choice.

I choose the latter. Studies over table tennis. I can't have them both and be successful. I abandoned playing completely and went away from Table tennis centers. I know I have the potential but study is more important. The year was 1993. That was the end of me playing competitive table tennis. The senior member of the varsity team was disappointed for me not joining the training and final selection. But that is life. I hid my racket and forget about it completely.

I can't get away from table tennis completely. I followed the accomplishment of our varsity team. They became champion for the next 3 years and the left handed penholder dominated singles event for 4 years. There are times I felt envious but graduating on time and with academic accomplishment made me forget about my envy. Everytime I feel envy of not playing, I just compare my academic accomplishment with the left handed penholder. I finished Eng'g on time while the penholder did not graduate on time.

I lost my table tennis racket and lost my desire to play table tennis after 1993...

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 16:32 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

I completely forgot about my blog :lol: . And would like to continue for my own benefit.. :lol:

After graduating from College, I was able to work in a manufacturing company away from the place where I grow. There are bits of table tennis but not significant. I won the table tennis sportsfest in the company in 1999 with little opposition. ( considering that I have not played for 6 years ) Then after that, hibernated again from table tennis.

The year was mid of 2010 and I was assigned to work from where I came from. I was able to meet the players from the past and rekindled my passion to play again table tennis. I bought a table and started in my garage. I was able to gather 6 regular players and we are playing every Saturday at my garage. Then I met an accident and did not play for 5 months. In the early months of 2011, I met someone who is very dedicated to TT. He set up a home made table in his hotels conference room.
After 18 years, I believe I'm back to serious table tennis. We formed an alliance ( we are three ) and formed a very strong table tennis club. We bought a factory table out of our pocket for some serious table tennis. Our group continued to grow and able to recruit about 30 members until now and maintained 3 tables.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 11:43 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

I would like to revive my blog and move forward to the present.

Learning from being EJ :
Timo Boll ZLC and Tenergy did not help me progress. With lack of practice and formal coaching to tame my set-up, I settled to a slower set up. I even created a thread that to progress faster, you have to slow down. :D . I am still trying to try some set-up, but I am sticking to my current set-up. It gave me the winning combination.

We move to a new venue infront of my house. I own the place. Our club is becoming popular now. Regular players and visitors are expected every Saturday and Sunday. 3 table is not enough to accomodate all. I continued to improve the place making it refreshing to play. I plan to purchase a very good table ( any advice on Joola World Cup? ).

2014 I think will be a very good year. There are two new clubs opening in our province making a total of 5 clubs strategically near at each other. What does it mean for me? More tournaments and more friendly competition! I plan to share those in my blog. This Sunday, we will go visit one of the clubs for a tournament. I am planning to propose a regular meet.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 16:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Did you ever post a photo of the new clubhouse you built in front of your house Red? Be nice to see how it all looks inside and out ;)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 17:30 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

I would post soon. However, our venue is not yet 100% complete. No paint, lacking walls.. :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 18:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

That's ok, we'll call it a staged progression update photo ;) :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 14:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Thanks for the blog, Red-lion!

The elderly man who showed you much spin...what kind of pips did he have? Short, medium, long?

You now play with MAX rubber on both sides, do you still chop much?

Are there many choppers in your club?