OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 09:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 14:27 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I showed no mercy to #3 and I almost took out #2 at 11:13 in the fifth. I'm not satisfied because I've been quite stubborn, especially against their #1. I found myself mostly defending on the backhand-side which is, since the switch to 1.8mm, not the smartest choice. A funny anecdote which made me laugh: A tomahawk overhead-serve to my backhand and I used a response-angle like I was using a standard pimples-in rubber. That guy had some unbelievable lucky balls also but that wasn't decisive.

Hence, I provided 1 of a total of 2 points in this match, but I'm far from satisfied with my result. WP1013 in 1.8mm is way different from the 1.5mm soft-version, it's a lot less disruptive and chops tend to come too high & too short. Nevertheless I'll use it the next 1-2 weeks because it helps me a lot to get a proper counter-, drive- and hitting stroke on the backhand.
I expect the T-7 to arrive within the next 2 weeks and I have another Kokutaku 110 1.5mm to test with that blade. I've also ordered Kokutaku 110 in 1.0mm (for the TCT), Dawei 388D-1 1.1+-mm and RITC 755 Mystery III 0.8mm, just to check if LP would make a positive difference to it. I still have an untested HRT Palisander NCT VII to use with either one of these, it just has a slightly different shape so I refuse to swap used rubbers. I don't feel well if the rubbers are or seem to be cut improperly, I also dislike it if I reglue a rubber and it's not a near perfect fit.

There's still todays match where I hope to play at my expected level throughout the whole match. The team-captain says I won't win a single game and it will be 0:10. So, 1 point would already surprise him, 2 would almost satisfy me and 3 (all) would set an impressive mark.

Got a message that the T-7, originally described as 88g+-3g is actually at +5g and the lightest one in stock. This shifts the delivery-time to 2 weeks+ from today and I'll bake it in the oven overnight once it arrived. I should do that to any blade I own, I guess.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 17:33 

Blade: Yinhe T 11+
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z1
BH: Stiga Mantra H
I think your results are better than what your coach expects. But you are still not completely satisfied - positive and fighting all the way.
Personally I would not try out that many blades and rubbers. I think it would confuse me more having to adjust techniques all the time. That's why I am choosing so meticulously (and getting desperate too) on my next set of equipment. Perhaps you are enjoying the variety it offers.
Anyway the main thing is to enjoy as much as we can, for as long as we can. Does not matter what approach we take, as long as it satisfies us. :Chop: :topspin:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 18:52 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Bake it in the oven? Is that for real? Why?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:08 
Super User

I am actually not that quick with switching the equipment - and I guess my reasons are different to typical sorts of 'equipment-changers'. Otherwise I may have used a short-pip or anti just for comfort, restricting myself to push, block and such within a small area of the field. Sooner or later I would have run stuck, unable to get any farther.

I've started with CJ8000 on the TCT and I'm still there, that did not change so far. It may happen once the T-7 arrives and when this blade offers a benefit, but that remains to be seen.

I have (had?) a weak, untrained, unconsistent and horribly harmless backhand and started with the Kokutaku 110 which delivered promising results. This rubber lost some teeth (at the center-zone) and I had a WP1013 1.5mm at hand. This one offered more control and I was able to improve my backhand further. It also had some stunning effects for the opponent albeit somewhat lesser than the Kokutaku, but it was a reasonable alternative. I changed to 1.8mm to evolve my backhand even further, due to better abilites of the 1.8mm version in driving and countering the balls, knowing that it could have a negative impact on my effective playing strength. This change forces me to play somewhat different, less defensive and more active at the table.
I'm certain that the #2 on Tuesday wouldn't have won if I had used the WP1013 1.5mm version and maybe it would have been enough to get some grip on the #1 as well - and be it only due to higher confidence within the match.

My aim is to get a useful and safe tool, supportive to my forehand actions that allows me to destroy their strategy and implement mine. That might be achieved whilst using the Kokutaku 110 at 1.0mm (and just maybe one of the long-pips) on the TCT in, let's say within, 2 month. Due to the technical improvements I am sure I'll be able to use these rubbers for counter and -driving and so on as well as I can use them to chop and distort attacks coming at me.
In June I will be significantly stronger than today and even sooner (within the next 2 month actually) all these players who win today or won recently have to face me again. Even better, I'll have the workshop just days before I meet the strongest ones again.

@Cobalt
Yes. sometimes I do bake blades in the oven (I already did in the past; if the Stiga Graphite would be able to talk...), but not at excessive heat (80°-110°) for about an hour or two. I expect good results from these newish blades from China which - I think - are using quite fresh and relatively moist wood in their production processes.
There's actually a thread made by HaggiSV who did exactly that years ago at even higher degrees but shorter duration and who had promising results, reducing the weight of blades by +-10%, also destroying or damaging some. Someone also tried a microwave oven...

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 09:01 
Super User

I've had 5 competions over the past 3 weeks and the one on 9th of February wasn't impressive at all - not so much because of the opponents but the ball, Butterfly G40+ Master Quality (see respective threads).
So, I experienced a match that turned into something you'd usually see from recreational-players only and there will be revenge in March, I swear.
In the meantime I've had another 3 competitions which turned out quite well.

I received the Yinhe T-7, the FS 755 Mystery III and the Dawei 388D-1. I will prepare up to 4 blades with each a different backhand for the workshop next week and I - because I couldn't wait - already used the Yinhe T-7 with CJ8000 2-side-loop and the 755M3 yesterday in competition, with just 2h using it in training the day before.
The result was ... devastating - for the opponents. They're known to be quite strong in the league and we were playing at their base, using their balls and their tables. 2 of their players are about 67% and above 80% in the competition but they didn't win a single set, 3:0 9:0 for me with some sets 11:6 or better. Now it's me having 80%, slightly below my goal of, err, the, err, now unreachable, ahum, 100%...
If only my teammates would be a tad more successful, I've been good for more than 50% of all points we got.

Back to the T-7 which is quite a good blade. Mine is 85grams (so no need for baking it) and with CJ8000 and 755M3 it feels very, very light. It has a somwhat softer touch and the CJ8000 feels a tad too soft here so I've ordered the Light&Fast version. Maybe that small notch harder and thicker will make the difference.
On Monday I'll use the FS 755M3 on the TCT just to cross-check its usefullness on the very blade. I've prepared the T-7 with Kokutaku 110 instead. I've also ordered an 802 Mystery just in case that MLP/LP and TCT really doesn't mix that well for me. No worry, my expenses on blades and rubbers so far are still below $200 and I've earned an invaluable amount on experiences. So, don't expect me to pay much for the rest of the year now since the equipment is almost set and serving.
I consider it possible that I'll continue the season with the T-7, CJ800 L&F and FS 755M3. The 755 does serve the purpose astonishingly well but I fear that it could also mark a dead-end road.

There'll be 6 competition-matches in March plus the workshop so I probably won't find much time writing about it. I'll try to keep it updated when there's a chance.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 07:03 

Your constant updates provides good reading and a basis for interesting talk. Your high spirits and positive outlook on your training and competition serves you well and is probably one of the reasons for your consistent improvement. Keep it up.

Last week, a club member let me play on one of his carbon balsa blade.
Its amazingly light in weight and with much power and bounce. Blocks well, chops OK but needs more control (compare to my W6). Close table play fantastic. And I can loop with it on short and mid distance. Of course I can improve my strokes with more time on it. Now there were many reports stating that balsa blades are not good for looping. But I could loop with this one and like it enough for me to decide to purchase the Galaxy T11+. And I will test the T11+ on 2 cheap rubbers, namely the Palio CJ8000 and the Palio Hadou Biotech. There are so many CJ8000's that I need to filter them and decide on either the CJ8000 36deg 2 loop or the Cj8000 Biotech. If it works out, then I'll slap more expensive rubbers on the T11+ such as the Yasaka Rising Dragon, Andro Rasant and perhaps a Tenergy 05.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 19:35 
Super User

Thanks Lionto.

I also looked into T11/T11+ even before ordering the Palio TCT. The low weight at +-70grams was actually one of the reasons for not buying it since I feared it to become too head-heavy, and another that near table actions and brushing will be a problem with the balsa-core. I knew I'd use a fast blade for CJ8000 which was a given in the equation since I already knew this rubber from the past.
I am also looking at the Hadou every now and then but so far I've decided against it.
The main reason for rejecting the bioteched versions is that its more in spin doesn't outweigh the possible quality problems - this rubber is known to have issues with the topsheet coming off the sponge quite quickly. The individual experience will vary, of course.
More interesting is the 40+ version but its price is already twice the price of a standard CJ8000.
I am still interested in the T-8/T-8s but that has to wait until 2018. I'm also looking at LKT 368 (beautiful, isn't it?) or Transformer No.1 which seem to be very interesting blades as well, albeit there's no chance I'd be ordering one in the near distant future.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 04:52 

Red wrote:
Thanks Lionto.

I also looked into T11/T11+ even before ordering the Palio TCT. The low weight at +-70grams was actually one of the reasons for not buying it since I feared it to become too head-heavy, and another that near table actions and brushing will be a problem with the balsa-core. I knew I'd use a fast blade for CJ8000 which was a given in the equation since I already knew this rubber from the past.
I am also looking at the Hadou every now and then but so far I've decided against it.
The main reason for rejecting the bioteched versions is that its more in spin doesn't outweigh the possible quality problems - this rubber is known to have issues with the topsheet coming off the sponge quite quickly. The individual experience will vary, of course.

What you said above about the T11+ was true and often stated in most forums. That's why I hesitated until I played with the balsa blade. Actually I prefer the lightness of the blade and found it not too head heavy even with 2 heavy rubbers on it. And the Hadou is known to last perhaps only a few months. But it would be used only as a testing rubber.

By the way, I played with the balsa blade again yesterday, this time tested it more thoroughly. It's actually the Giant Dragon, Super Balsa II OFF+ which is a 5 core wood and not carbon. Rubbers on it were the Andro Plasma and Yasaka Radza7. And played also with the Palio TCT. As my own blade is only a W6, a ALL+ blade, I found the SBII fast, even faster than the Palio TCT, but how fast, OFF or OFF+ I am not sure. Power and bouncy, fast blocks really well. Chops are sharp and controllable. And it can loop, both for close table and mid distance. The W6 has more control though. If I have more sessions on the SBII I am quite sure I can have more control. Close table play will be devastating if you have the quick reflexes. I am actually sold but they must have a flare handle. The one I played with has a squarish straight handle, not enough maneuverability. So if the T11+ (which I have already ordered) doesn't work out, it would be the Super Balsa II for me.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 07:40 

Between the Andro Plasma Vs Radza7, preference is for the Radza7 as it has definitely more spin and speed.
On the same blade, tested them FH and BH.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 17:49 
Super User

The TCT is what I'd call a block and hit blade with quite a short dwell that is very useful for repentless brute force attacks. It may not be the fastest blade around unless you really hit hard, it works best if you're committed to win the point actively. I tested the 755M3 on TCT today and it kind of worked so far but it was of little use when I was in mid-area or once I came under pressure. So far, it did work better on the T-7 where the Kokutaku 110 1mm had to do ydays job - and failed. It didn't let me attack confidentially neither on the T-7 nor on the TCT.
I will either put the Koku 110 or the 388D-1 on the HRT Palisander for Saturday/Sunday. The CJ8000 Light&Fast may not be delivered in time for the workshop.
Now it's the turn for the Dawei 388D-1 1mm on the TCT tomorrow and the 755M3 is back on the T-7. Next week there's 1 competition-match against a weaker team before we have to face stronger opponents.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 07:49 
Super User

So, I've tried the Dawei 388D-1 on the TCT yesterday and it was fun. Really. I've never had something that unfitting for me than this combination; chopping from 3mtrs off the table, Kreanga-like topspinning in mid-areas - and almost everything was done with the senses blindfolded because I just didn't feel s*** using it.
On the other hand I did a desperate attempt with the Koku 110 1mm which felt too bouncy on the T-7 and it seems to be quite a surprise on the TCT, somewhere in-between the 755M3 and Palio WP1013 1.5mm - but with more spin than any of these 2. I'll check this tomorrow at the table but it really feels very, very promising. This is especially interesting because the 1.8mm mauve-sponged WP1013 did better than the thinner, softer sponged one and I simply didn't expect the thinner 110 to behave better than the 1.5mm version.
I now have Yinhe T-7 with CJ8000 (actually desintegrating) and 755M3 and I have the TCT with CJ8000 and Kokutaku 110. So, I got back my Mjölnir.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 09:43 
Super User

The CJ8000 Light&Fast came yesterday and I've tried it with the T-7 first - that's a no-go for me; well, it is fast so smashes are better but softly touched balls were too slow.
I will try it on the TCT next month or so when league-competition is done for this season.

Now I'll check the 1.5mm 2-side-loop on the T-7.

Short update on the workshop-experience: I've mostly used the TCT and got 2 new 'tricks' with the pimples. Confidence is getting higher as gets my dangerousness. I'll have a league-match next Tuesday at home, let's see if I can make use of the 'new' techniques - at the 1st meeting with the very team at their base back in January I did win all 3 matches, 9:1 sets but I've had some trouble with nervousness during the matches.

And now I'm on Facebook, too - within the photo of the group: https://www.facebook.com/ttsd.eu/posts/939928706144151

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 19:38 
Super User

The 1st season (spring-season) 2017 is done, we're 2nd in the league now and we've got 50 points and my share to it is 26 (12 in 1st leg, 14 in 2nd leg) plus 2 while doubling.
Some are impressed but not me, I've lost a few games in the fifth and especially my job of helping out in the next best team could have been more successful when I had found a way to win in the fifth. Nonetheless, I did beat some of the high-rated competitors and I managed to get a 5 out of 9 in the 2nd leg, which renders me into one of the more successful members of that team.

My rating is now at 25th in the club, above the top-player of the next best team of the club. I've started at zero, then I've got an initial rating about 200pts lower from today's rating due to the league I've started with. If I had started 2 leagues higher from the very beginning my rating would already be around 100 points higher even if I hadn't won more than a handful of games, just due to a significantly higher entry-rating at the very league.
That said, I am sure to beat quite a number of players ranked above me in the club actually, so I'm eager to compete at the club-tournament which will be held before summer.

Even if I am not really satisfied with my own performance I did quite a leap considering that I re-engaged with tabletennis back in September and that I've just entered the arena in January. And I feel and I know that I'm not near my limits, I will continue to grow and I'm pretty sure I'll be significantly stronger in the next season, starting in September 2017.
So, I'd like to start higher next season - which would be reasonable, of course - and the then next best team (since the actual next best team is going to relegate and won't be next best any longer) is starting 3 leagues higher after they've successfully reached the promotion.
This bears 3 options for the next season:
Option 1 is to play regularly 3 leagues higher - this is ambitious but it is the option I am going to aim at and which will give the biggest boost to either strength, commitment and rating.
Option 2 is to have a new team formed and positioned in between (1 or 2 leagues higher) with the option of beeing guaranteed to play 4x reserve with the next best team - this is what I would prefer at the moment, it's safe and offers slow but steadily increases in strength and rating.
Option 3 is the worst case, which would mean me to stay with the actual team in the actual league and only getting an offer to be reserve to the next best team with less than 2 matches at higher level. This would actually cause some damage to me and needs to be prevented at all costs.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 08:29 

Hi Red, Very interesting to read about your exploits and progress.

Would you care to look and comment on another thread, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31164&start=15
which discusses Players Ranking System and how rating points might help improve the popularity of TT.
The discussion also talks about competitive play and so you might be the one to provide some interesting inputs as you have just analysed the competition you have just completed quite thoroughly.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 17:03 
Super User

Thanks Lionto. This blog also has some opportunities for myself since I am reflecting myself, defining short- and medium-term targets while I am continuously trying to improve steadily.

That said, I sometimes have to shift plans and try to manage the progress in order with changes in the agenda etc.
I would have liked to check the CJ8000 Light&Fast on the Palio TCT now in order with possible improvements on the material used. I checked a thinner sponge (1.5mm) with CJ8000 2-side-loop on the TCT already but it only made me less dangerous. I still do have to check some options to crank up the effectiveness by a notch or two, it just has to wait for another 4 weeks now due to the club-championships 8th and 16th (doubles) of May. So, I'll try to further consolidate my style with the very material of today.
Speaking of style, there's a list with modern styles of table tennis and according to it I am a close-to-the-table defender and an attacking chopper (A and B style?!), 'knowing' this helps to improve personally and it simplifies the implementation of suitable strategies against other players.
My style shares quite a few similarities with this 'defender' in the light-blue shirt:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next