OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 May 2019, 02:14 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
So..... I guess I'm starting a blog.
My equipment is in my signature and basically, let's say I was inspired by Yuto Muramatsu and Joo Sae Hyuk; nowadays, I also like Ding Song, Hou Yingchao, and Satoshi Aida. I also love watching almost all the other pro defenders like Filus, Gionis, etc.

Started TT at my church roughly 3 years ago near the end of 8th grade (11th grade right now) with no knowledge of this being a sport beforehand; I sucked, and through grinding and spending hours of my life in front of the mirror and shadow practicing, I've reached this point lol. My game is really exciting this year because I'm finally starting to get decent rallies! I went to the Potomac recreational center (the one on Falls Road, in Maryland) 2 days ago on Wednesday and they have a TT club in the gym, but you need to pay a 5$ fee to play in it if you're not a member so me and my dad always play at the 2 tables at the front 'cause it's free; met 2 really nice people, one was formerly 1900 (said he hadn't played in 10 months I think? or years I forget) and his name was Johnny, really nice dude! Also, he looked uncannily like Jun Mizutani when he played, the way he hit his forehands, the way he lobbed back with his BH, and his face... he squints his face in each shot, and before serving, just like Mizutani! I got to play doubles with him on my team, and my dad and one of the Chinese guys who come to the rec center regularly, and I don't remember if we won or not, but we definitely did well. Played him 1 on 1 afterwards and I was surprised I was able to beat him. The other guy I haven't mentioned yet, his name is Clarence (hopefully I spelled his name right) and he told me he was about 1800; we played 1 on 1 and I lost. However, I was very happy with the way I played and they both complimented me, saying that my BH chop was heavy. I also got in like 3-4 BH SP points a la Yuto Muramatsu :P :rock: but when he lifted my pushes/chops to my FH side, I had trouble because I thought they were heavy with topspin, so when I chopped them, they hit the net instead of popping up like I expected. I think the score of the first set was like 3, 4 - 11 as a result. Made me feel more confident in my ability to play well against other people, since I literally play with my dad only like 99% of the time. So.... this is my first post in my blog. Comments welcome :P

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2019, 11:24 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
Dan, what's your technique like chopping with short pips?

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 09:56 
Super User

kaesees wrote:
Dan, what's your technique like chopping with short pips?

Well, I can now say that the fact he thought I was 1800 was a huge mistake, because there's no way I'm rated that high! He definitely is rated that high though, because I just saw him playing this week and he's very good. I guess his style is what makes it somewhat easier to take sets off of him because I don't feel very scared at all when I play him, but he beats people I definitely can't beat, and I've never taken a game off him. My technique isn't very good, but atm, the way I'd describe it is that I sort of let the ball come and just "hit" my racket face as I swing. I'd say that I'm trying to copy what Yuto does in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LTxF6oVWUo but I'd definitely not be able to come close to having the amount of spin as he does, or dampening he seems to achieve with his touch; nor can I chop good loops, because everyone around my level doesn't have very spinny shots, or powerful shots. So I'm not that good. But in terms of how one contacts the ball, I'd say watching Qing Feng Guang chopping is a very good representation of what Yuto is also doing in that training video. They're probably the guys I try to chop like with SP.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 10:01 
Super User

Also... I honestly cannot even know how one varies spin when chopping. I'm not ever aware if the spin on my chop is heavy or not, and all I know atm is that my spin probably isn't very heavy. I'm not sure. And in terms of how good I am, I'm probably 1100 USATT at most but who knows.