OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2021, 05:06 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
New video

I really hope this is just an adaptation for my knee coz I've been thoroughly enjoying the 4-6ft playing zone. But for now I need to listen and just play 2-4ft and see if I can still play well. Saturday evening will be a good test as I'll get to play some decent players better than me hopefully.

Chopping at mid distance vs loops like Anatols on this video are damn hard though, I found myself getting much more consistency doing less while still getting pretty much the same reversal, and if I did a nice cheeky wrist snap I actually get a lot of reversal.

But the match play after with Fred (not in this video) was alright. I have the same big issues such as service receive and random brain farts. But slowly I'm seeing improvement. Playing purely mid distance did change the way the game played out though, less fh fishing and more of a counter hit or he hits it past me more lol

But if all goes downhill and my knee says no more taking steps back, I have a plan.....and I am extremely excited to do it if ever lol. I almost want to spoil it by asking if there are any high lvl player profiles on here so I can watch vids. But I don't want to jinx or spoil anything :oops:

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 23:54 
Super User

Totally forgot to post this last week

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 06:15 
Super User

So today was the first time I think since I started playing again where I have played a match where I didn't have 2 or 3 things I was focussed on trying. It made a huge difference tbh as I just felt more relaxed. I definitely feel most comfortable in the 2nd zone 1-2m from table and feel more comfortable when I'm not trying to attack as much.
However it's still something I need continue to try to work on, especially my FH. But slowly slowly the FH fishing is turning into little wrist snaps or follow through which hopefully eventually lead to loops lol

What were peoples experiences (if you had my problem) with regards to deciding if you should play more defensive as it's naturally what you want to do or force a little more aggression because overall it will most likely benefit you long term?

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 04:24 
Super User

Not too much has happened recently. Had a 3hr training session with Vuong at his studio which was quite intense, using bucket of balls. Practised some different things, trying to focus on the FH retrieve but turning it into more of a hit then hopefully transitioning into a counter loop etc. I also got a bit of mid distance chopping practice in which went much better than I expected, was very consistent and again the back spin Dtecs gives is just amazing for what little I put in lol. If i manage to get a sharp snap of the wrist the reversal is quite surprising, so its a nice variable when playing as with little to no wrist involved there is less spin.
We did not keep track of time very well and was absolutely smashed and out of energy but we still wanted to get some match play in. So I recorded it anyway as I know it will help with improving for both me and him.

Here is the vid

I also uploaded this a while back for someone asking but it was unlisted but i figured I would make it public for people to see and maybe learn from. It's me a while back when my knee was a bit angry, I stayed close to table to see how I fair up and if i even enjoy playing there with that style

and then this wednesday gone and had a wicked 3hr training session with Anatol using bucket of balls again. Started to get a follow through with the retrieve (Thanks Dunc as well as others for pointing it out) and it honestly makes quite a difference. Literally prevents the opponent from completely being in the driver seat.
Also done chopping again and I did think I was a little better but not much but Anatol told me after my chopping has gotten much better so I'll take a little good vibes from that :rock:

I ALMOST had an EJ moment and with some extra money we got recently went out and bought a Stiga Defensive Pro with Vertical20 0.5mm......but I held out as for the first time I really don't want to change blade at all and I reminded myself that I might not be ready still to try a completely different LP and with thin sponge......which then leads me onto the next long post :^)

My Vlog / Blog

Last edited by Ndragon on 11 Sep 2021, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 04:40 
Super User

So this keeps popping up in my head and bothering me. I am really trying not to EJ, so I am waiting for my blade (Nittaku Shake Defence) to be on sale and that will be the time I buy it as spare and try something else. Not able to have many choices it really gets me thinking. Well if it is even worth it in the first place lol. I am hoping it will take a long time before its on sale on TT11 so I can really find my game and style as well as my natural strokes.

My BH atm definitely seems naturally tuned for low friction OX without a doubt, in which case I usually feel like the logical choices would be Dornenglanz or Dtecs 0.6. I sometimes think of trying a slightly grippy OX LPs like Troublemaker or Piranja. My head also says change nothing :rofl:
I do tend to play mid distance and 'chop' (I say that because honestly it's such a bad example of a typical chopping stroke). My head says Dornenglanz or nothing lol but my EJ heart says....
To try something a little more for chopping?, thin sponge. Would definitely have to work on the BH stroke to accomodate but that shouldn't be too too hard....i hope :lol:
But I was thinking something like the newer stuff made and designed for the newest balls etc. Vertical20 or 55, Victas P1V perhaps??

Also something else that recently popped up into my trail of thoughts is maybe I should learn to FH chop.....and mainly play defence with little retieve and counter looping??
This would of course mean A LOT of practice, and perhaps a slightler thinner sponge?? not even sure where to start with that though.

Did anyone else have this phase? it feels like it won't be worth it. My main focus is to improve fast while having fun, and although my natural reaction in games is to play defensive and 'safe' for this situation it might not be worth it at all time wise etc :?:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 05:06 

Blade: Stiga Defensive Classic
FH: Victas V>15 Extra 2.0
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5
I can totally relate to your position. I was doing ok with ox pips with less grip (I used giant dragon talon), I just didn't enjoy playing at the table. It takes a lot of skill, especially when facing guys that can just demolish the ball. Over the past 2 years I forced myself to stick to grippy pips that have at least some sponge. For me having just a little sponge really helps me control my chops. Of course I had to relearn a lot of things, and initially you may make a ton of unforced touch errors. I'm still desperately learning to lengthen my chop stroke and improve my footwork/anticipation. Having a rubber like Vertical 20 or p-1r almost force you to use fuller chops. I have a lot of carryover habits from when using ox pips I'm still trying to shake. That being said, there are some great choppers that make ox work.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 05:55 
Super User

JuicyHook wrote:
I can totally relate to your position. I was doing ok with ox pips with less grip (I used giant dragon talon), I just didn't enjoy playing at the table. It takes a lot of skill, especially when facing guys that can just demolish the ball. Over the past 2 years I forced myself to stick to grippy pips that have at least some sponge. For me having just a little sponge really helps me control my chops. Of course I had to relearn a lot of things, and initially you may make a ton of unforced touch errors. I'm still desperately learning to lengthen my chop stroke and improve my footwork/anticipation. Having a rubber like Vertical 20 or p-1r almost force you to use fuller chops. I have a lot of carryover habits from when using ox pips I'm still trying to shake. That being said, there are some great choppers that make ox work.

Yh I need more vids from you for motivation! Hehe

My problem is not knowing if I can ever get good enough to move and chop with what is required. You're good at moving! And your FH is an actual weapon unlike mine haha but I can see it's natural for you to want to attack, for some reason I often feel a block in my brain and I don't know if it's because my FH is really bad or because I'm naturally passive (or both :headbang: lol)

But your words definitely give me some positive vibes.
If my blade goes on sale sooner than I want I'll take the plunge. Or do you think it will simply be better to get an all wood defensive blade like yours right now for example. I did have a VKM in the past and it was super nice for chopping

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 08:48 

Blade: Stiga Defensive Classic
FH: Victas V>15 Extra 2.0
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5
Thanks, I'm still learning too. I dig your twiddle play and backhand attack. I'd like to incorporate that more in my game. Like you said, having fun is the most important thing. After I broke my stiga and switched to the matsushita special I get less high-spin arc but more direct force. I actually find chops more stable on the carbon blade. I've been tempted by the nittaku before, the blade looks awesome. Another idea , have you tried Cloud & Fog 3? I used it for a short while in ox, it chops very well for an ox. Super cheap too, seen it under $10. It has some good grip, people compare it too buttterfly rubbers. Just an idea if your tempted by more grippy pips. I'll try to get you some footage of me actually chopping sometime.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 16:35 
Super User

JuicyHook wrote:
I actually find chops more stable on the carbon blade. I've been tempted by the nittaku before, the blade looks awesome. Another idea , have you tried Cloud & Fog 3? I used it for a short while in ox, it chops very well for an ox. Super cheap too, seen it under $10. It has some good grip, people compare it too buttterfly rubbers. Just an idea if your tempted by more grippy pips. I'll try to get you some footage of me actually chopping sometime.

Yh the blade goes really well with OX and likely thin sponge too but don't quote me on that :lol:
I have never tried it but I very much enjoy watching Jian Li who uses it in OX and he has a much nicer more traditional chop. It is very cheap so I could always try it in OX whenever my blade goes on sale. Their thinnest sponge is 1mm I believe which I think I cannot control tbh

I have a Stiga ALL Classic with FL2 1.1mm on there and I recently tried it again and while I can see I can adapt I can also see it would probably take me years to be able to use that efficiently and with lots of training involved.

But ultimately if my game evolves into something I like and it means my stroke is more like chop block I would be crazy not to stick with OX. But 1 day I'll borrow a club mates bat with 0.5 FL2 and use it for full session from the beginning. Just to slap my EJ cravings back inside hahaha

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 21:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I enjoy your Vlog/Blog. I have few reactions/thoughts.

Re your september 1 post-I also do almost all my club matches where I am working on a single thing. I really try to focus on one area I need to work on. I think with my limited practice time and no coach available this is necessary. But it does take away from natural do everything to win a match play. I am willing to learn a technique and improve my overall game while losing matches at my club if it makes me better and gives me an opportunity to improve my tournament play

EJing-I am admittedly probably the worst EJ in the world. But I am becoming more and more convinced that most LPs play so similar or have more things in common than we realize. I think going with a reasonable priced one and sticking with it and refining your technique is best. (I am glad also to see that someone else waits on TT11 sales like I do :D )

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 22:55 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
I enjoy your Vlog/Blog. I have few reactions/thoughts.

Re your september 1 post-I also do almost all my club matches where I am working on a single thing. I really try to focus on one area I need to work on. I think with my limited practice time and no coach available this is necessary. But it does take away from natural do everything to win a match play. I am willing to learn a technique and improve my overall game while losing matches at my club if it makes me better and gives me an opportunity to improve my tournament play

EJing-I am admittedly probably the worst EJ in the world. But I am becoming more and more convinced that most LPs play so similar or have more things in common than we realize. I think going with a reasonable priced one and sticking with it and refining your technique is best. (I am glad also to see that someone else waits on TT11 sales like I do :D )

You make me wonder if instead of 2-3 things per 2-4 weeks I bring it down to only 1....it might be better that way. But the people I play with change in skill lvl a lot so sometimes I cannot really get much out of that 1 thing. How long do you usually work on 1 thing?

With regards to LPs all being similar, I haven't tried much extensively to know but a lot of them do feel similar from my limited experiences. Dtecs in OX definitely stands out though. But I think if you can find your style of play along with your natural strokes (assuming you are not going to train something else into your brain) then it would be very helpful to play with something that works for it.

Glad you enjoy btw :) hopefully people can take away things from it too. The journey so far has definitely been fun

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2021, 22:01 
Super User

So last night was so good for me. I played a match with Semi Idowu who I played before and usually once or twice a month I get to play vs him. He is a 1st division player in my local leagues and usually averages 65-80% it could be more on a season I don't know about but he has been playing in those leagues for 10+ years already. Before all the pandemic started he was going tournaments regularly and he did reach top 100 mens England UK before concentrating on the vets which he reached rank 70. So he is a pretty solid player. Don't be fooled by his lovely personality and smiles, his spin isn't so lovely to vs :lol:

I am very happy to have gone to the 5th vs him tbh but I fully admit I crumbled hard in the late 4th and entire 5th set :headbang: I was so close to winning I either made bad errors or complete brain farts. Anyway was all in great fun.

On a different note. After that and the games/knocks with others I came back to play with Semi, by that time we are both knackered so we decided to serve to finish no scoring etc chilling. So I got my other bat out (Stiga ALL, FL2 1.1mm)....i'm glad I did coz it just was a nice slap in the face. It's a different ball game, forget it :lol: I'll stick with OX thanks. So after about 15mins I just put it away lol. Then decided to test zone 1 with Dtecs OX vs him.

Now a very quick back story I could never control it at the table vs him, it felt impossible.....but now somehow I could and it was deadly! I still don't like plying at the table with that style but at least I know I can pull it off with enough practice. The things to note though is soft hands soft hands...oh and soft hands lol. Dtecs really felt like a crutch at times because even with just a regular block the reversal is nice and puts opponent under pressure. Also because it's quite a fast LP it means they need to be quick with their decision!

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 04:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Your ability to flip (twiddle) the blade during a point is fantastic. A huge strong point.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 05:25 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
Your ability to flip (twiddle) the blade during a point is fantastic. A huge strong point.

Thanks :up: it's still quite unnatural and my hands still get caught in the middle occasionally, it actually happened in the last vid but I just managed to get it in position to push.
The more I do it I'm hoping eventually it's not something I need to think about and 'work' on during games.

If anyone is wondering what I do to work on this. I basically twiddle and again back to usual rubbers before and after every point to get used to it. I completely stopped doing a FULL 360 twiddle which was a habit since forever lol. Also the grip change helped a lot

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2021, 06:02 
Super User

This morning trained with Anatol (div1 70-80% also a full time coach) again for 2 and half hours. Was really good, my FH is getting better. I did decide to forgo the recent technique change with my wrist. I just keep it for opening loop vs backspin. Back to playing top spin naturally and it feels better, more consistent and more speed but little less spin overall.

At the very end we trained with matchplay and it actually went really well for me, I actually started counter looping now. So the training with him is making a difference. Too bad I can't do that every week. Like next week he cannot play.

My Vlog / Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!