OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 06:35 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
I would say that for me personally from the options you described I would always go for the Regular rubber + SP setup..
I've played defense, I've played with OX pips close to the table, I've played with SP on the BH and I've also played with double inverted setup..
If the decision is based on the fact that you must not run a lot then for me personally the most satisfaction can be achieved with the BH SP setup. I'm speaking about satisfaction, not effectiveness. For me chop-blocking a good topspin with OX pips is nice.. But when the opponent plays a good topspin and gets a cracking punch-block with the SP in return.. This really feels (for me) much more satisfying :)
I really hope you'll find the most suitable option that will make you smile when you perform different shots. :Chop:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 06:46 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
You have a good point! Aside from my favourite shot being the chop, my 2nd favourite is a solid BH punch!

I've never tried short pips before though funnily enough. Should be interesting at the very least. Got a couple of 802-40s coming so will stick one on to try

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 17:42 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
I too love SPs. Downside is, you need to be further away from the table (in comparison to LPs) to chop with them effectively. If you put SPs on your BH and stay close to the table, you'll no longer be a defensive player.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 18:08 
Super User

dunc wrote:
I too love SPs. Downside is, you need to be further away from the table (in comparison to LPs) to chop with them effectively. If you put SPs on your BH and stay close to the table, you'll no longer be a defensive player.

I would be almost reverting back to 10 years ago. Except closer to table. Basically inside 1m. More blocking,
punching, counter hitting, quick loops etc

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 18:12 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
If that's a style of play you're comfortable with, SPs is definitely the way to go. I really enjoy doing this occasionally, a SP punch is hugely satisfying. As is a massive BH slap with SPs :D

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 18:44 
Super User

dunc wrote:
If that's a style of play you're comfortable with, SPs is definitely the way to go. I really enjoy doing this occasionally, a SP punch is hugely satisfying. As is a massive BH slap with SPs :D

I'm definitely more comfortable at the table like this. But tbh eventually I was pretty ok with the LPs too I just don't enjoy it as much.

I'm very much looking forward to trying the BH SPs punch and trying the big slap FH with it too.

But definitely I don't like these fast tensor rubbers close to table, I like Mark V...its weird I just do better with it. Its so nice for short game and touches, then the low throw and sensitivity just gives me more confidence to hit harder and I still win points with it

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2021, 00:01 
Super User

The latest vid for anyone who hasn't seen and interested

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2021, 06:06 
Super User

Grrrr not gonna lie I am torn on whether to continue using the LPs and just try actively twiddle more and use my BH offensively too and see if I can enjoy it more.

Definitely makes it more complicated and stressful though lol

But then I guess I'll hit with inverted BH and they just block to FH right and then back to square 1 :headbang:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2021, 05:19 
Super User

So I just played for 2hrs (1.5 of those doing matches) with aDiv2 Penholder. Looper with Hurricane, SPs on BH (but doesn't use it much)

For the matches I played 45mins with LPs and 45mins with my Donic WSC Mark V bat. Then after I played a match against 2 other guys, Div2 and 3 player.

I was recommended to watch Stefan Kostadinovic by a comment on my latest YouTube vid. It is what made me decide to give the LPs another go.

So first 45mins with LPs. I twiddled more and used BH inverted, I was more aggressive with the LPs vs backspin, my FH was still yucky and crap lol. Just so inconsistent :headbang: . My inverted BH wasn't too bad but not as consistent as I would have liked, the punching was the only thing that won me more than lost.
I still won all sets straight for 45mins though....because LPs :rofl: although my LPs vs backspin was on fire. I did enjoy it a little more tbh too

Now the next 45mins with the Mark V bat.....it was way more even, actually in his favour. Of course I made a lot of mistakes as if I'm hitting with LPs. But my FH was way better again and I had so much more confidence to swing it and it will land. The BH was interesting....blocking was fantastic, BH banana flicks and looping vs backspin were consistent and nice to be able to do. But after a while it became apparent that my BH was weak from too many mistakes with loops and punching, I mean it's so slight, like clipping net or just going off the side of table, the punching was good and effective when I got it on though but the low throw definitely ego checked me vs open rally :lol: he eventually played most balls to BH because my FH was on fire and almost never lost a point if it went there.

Then playing at the end vs the other players who aren't quite as good. I only played with Mark V bat. It was a massacre...not much more to say, I open with BH then win with a punch or easy setup to turn around FH. If anything went to FH I won within next shot or 2 because of a weak return. Take from this what you will though these players I beat with LPs easily too, just usually not quite as bad lol

But the most important thing....I had a lot of fun playing like that, I really felt like I can see what I done wrong/need to improve and work on and how much more effective I'll be when I get it down etc

Now things to note....SPs BH I will 100% need to try on my Stiga Clipper as I spend 80% of my time blocking and punching. But until then, I'm going to try my best to not touch the LPs again and use the Mark V bat. It will surely ego check me a lot but tbh I think that's what I need

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2021, 05:46 
Super User

Also knee feels good, and I didn't hold back with some of the side to side.

Does anyone think I should give it till end of month with LPs or just switch it up now :?:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2021, 08:16 

Blade: Stiga Defensive Classic
FH: Victas V>15 Extra 2.0
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5
Hey, so sorry to hear about the knee stuff. I get it, I've had some painful knee problems in the past. Doctor told me I had a ridged patella and it would always get inflamed easily. Knock on wood I haven't had that issue for at least 2-3 years now. I'm not sure why exactly. It could be that I've slowly built up support muscles. I've stopped running but have added squats+lunges and other body weight stuff. I also limit my play time to shorter yet intense sessions (no more 6 hour weekend plays lol). If you're already hurt I certainly wouldn't mess around, but I also wouldn't give up hope. If you are mulling around the idea of changing up styles I have a friend who changed to short pips forehand and medium on the bh with a REALLY fast blade. He changed because he is getting older, but man is he dangerous. Obviously this would be a huge change, it would definitely make you a close-to-the-table attacker/blocker.

Side note, I actually changed my style for one tournament to SP fh. My back just gave out so I couldn't play physically at all ( I couldn't even tie my shoes!) . All in all I managed to maintain my rating and switched to my old setup as soon as my back healed (took several months)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2021, 15:25 
Super User

Ndragon wrote:
So basically my knee was messed up in 2012 which I then needed 1 small and 1 BIG operation (ACL repair/reconstruction) to be able to walk properly again and playing TT in 2017/18 forced an early operation (small one) which then meant no TT and a set date for another BIG operation (Meniscal transplant) to join my previous big one. I was told after 1-2 years I could play TT again but not at the same lvl as my 2009-2012 days.

I should also add that I have been told that naturally in 15-20 years I will likely need a full knee replacement lol. I have a bone growth thing too I always forget the name, which is 1 of the reasons these injuries were always inevitable.

You definitely give me hope about changing styles though, would have loved to have seen how you played with SPs FH setup for those months haha. SPs on FH and BH was 1 of my ideas :devil:

I do have an idea.....going back to mid distance but being very careful with my placement so I don't get caught out wide. I was watching a vid yesterday and he hardly gets moved like that, plus I saw that for the short ball he sidestepped sideways 8) which I never ever thought about. Total save on the knees. I'm going to give this a try for next 2 sessions which will luckily be exposed to Div1 players who can definitely test me that way.

If this fails again then I'm back to square 1, I still want to give the LPs a go until at least end of month and see if I can find enjoyment playing a little more aggro.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 23:38 
Super User

GOOD NEWS! For now anyway (fingers crossed)

Played with Anatol again and my usual mid distance and he really helped me with certain drills today to make me really think about my positioning depending on where I place my shots. Thankfully he is quite comfortable to loop chops and moves well enough when I go middle instead of BH side by accident or really wide BH :rofl:

The training went fantastic, my FH was much better and I'm so much more comfortable to swing at it from 1-2m.

We then done match play and here is where I was surprised. It was night and day and although quite even it was actually in my favour! He commented how he needs to stop FH looping wide since my FH is actually really good there and winning almost every exchange. He did mention middle is where he has his success and he wins mostly there. Which is quite true as I'm often unsure and decide late if I should chop block or sidestep to FH but I realised after it's not worth the sidestep because my FH won't be good enough anyway unless I'm a lot quicker.

No knee pain either. 1 thing to note though is that he doesn't drop many balls short as he is quite confident to loop chops instead. So I didn't get to test the in and outs much. But so far so good.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 12:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sounds like a great session Ndragon! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Glad to hear the knee is getting better too. I used to have lots of knee issues myself too... then a couple of years back I started going to the gym regularly, and one of the exercises was to build up the muscles in my leg. Surprisingly all my knee problems went away....pure luck as this was not why I was going to the gym! I'm not sure if the same will work for you, but perhaps it's worth a try?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 15:53 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Sounds like a great session Ndragon! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Glad to hear the knee is getting better too. I used to have lots of knee issues myself too... then a couple of years back I started going to the gym regularly, and one of the exercises was to build up the muscles in my leg. Surprisingly all my knee problems went away....pure luck as this was not why I was going to the gym! I'm not sure if the same will work for you, but perhaps it's worth a try?

Yh the knees are a funny thing. Gym usually works to prevent the smaller injuries or over time issues but unfortunately for me my right knee is long gone due to a big pop from a rollerblading accident. I have been doing gym and exercises for years now, it's the reason I can play. But high impact sports will still get to me, and although TT doesn't have to be high impact I just wasn't careful and ran around a little too careless recently :oops:

I'm quite sure it's the excessive wide FH stretching to get a ball where I stamp my foot to get it, and the in and out running back to the table again stretching with right foot. If I can avoid these I think I'll be fine

My Vlog / Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!