OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 05:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
i always thought you played well with the dtecs.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 07:37 
Super User

+1 Agree with peterpong :up:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 16:07 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Happy to go back to them tbh. I enjoy being 'that long pimple player' in the club :lol: :devil: :lol:

I'll work hard on being a big more aggressive with them over time. But ultimately this time I want to be more FH oriented

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 23:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
TTbuddy wrote:

Always liked Peterpong and Mary... :rofl:
edit: When I saw Ndragon's video saying essentially "I am sticking with SP and never going back to to LP I had this inward smile. As someone who hate eaten similar words a number of years ago myself I "knew".

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2021, 00:01 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
TTbuddy wrote:

Always liked Peterpong and Mary... :rofl:
edit: When I saw Ndragon's video saying essentially "I am sticking with SP and never going back to to LP I had this inward smile. As someone who hate eaten similar words a number of years ago myself I "knew".

I thought it was the LPs I didn't enjoy close to table ;( I was wrong. Where's my hat I'll eat it :lol:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2021, 03:40 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I have a similar situation!

My favorite style is the chopping mid/long distance style of game. Backing off and letting them fire big shots at me. Problem is... I lose a lot more doing that! People who can beat me, or at least win some games, will lose badly if I just stand at the table and LP OX block them down, along with a forehand attack now and again. Doesn't feel like there's any glory in that approach! :lol: To me, the issue is 'giving up' too many points for the sake of wanting to chop. Instead of punishing weak returns, you bop them back and hope to get into a rally type scenario -- when really, a simple loop, drive or smack would've ended the point much earlier! In that sense, you're not really playing to win at any cost, but only wanting to win the point in a certain way. So that mental image gets forced into the game, whether it was warranted or not.

That's my take on it, anyway... from battling my own struggles with the style and reading/seeing others using similar approaches to the game. Basically, it's fun against a stubborn attacker! Although, anyone who doesn't subscribe to taking bozo swings at you repeatedly becomes a much duller sort of match. I find it's during those games where the 'wtf am I doing here?!' thoughts creep in. Then you want to change rubbers, change styles, change clubs! Change everything! Two choices are essentially: be happy with the slow, dink game and win through attrition. Or... learn to attack and skip that part of the game almost entirely!

It's exceedingly rare to spot someone who will be a classic defender. Just returning the ball, waiting for a mistake to be made. Very rare! The defenders we see are usually a bit higher in level, at a minimum. So they'd be attacking the weaker players and probably defending very little. I think you'd do well to get your attacks up to a certain standard... THEN go to defense if you wish. I've seen only one players around 2100 who does extreme classic defense... even against 1400 players, he will play maybe 80-90% defensive pushes/chops. If they return one stupidly-high... then he smacks it. The attacks aren't varied, either. Just a flat swat.

Here's a player I like watching -- you might find some inspiration from his game, as he stays close much of the time but also backs off to chop a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUlsC9cXD5s

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2021, 03:51 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:

My favorite style is the chopping mid/long distance style of game. Backing off and letting them fire big shots at me. Problem is... I lose a lot more doing that! People who can beat me, or at least win some games, will lose badly if I just stand at the table and LP OX block them down, along with a forehand attack now and again. Doesn't feel like there's any glory in that approach! :lol: To me, the issue is 'giving up' too many points for the sake of wanting to chop. Instead of punishing weak returns, you bop them back and hope to get into a rally type scenario -- when really, a simple loop, drive or smack would've ended the point much earlier! In that sense, you're not really playing to win at any cost, but only wanting to win the point in a certain way. So that mental image gets forced into the game, whether it was warranted or not.

That's my take on it, anyway... from battling my own struggles with the style and reading/seeing others using similar approaches to the game. Basically, it's fun against a stubborn attacker! Although, anyone who doesn't subscribe to taking bozo swings at you repeatedly becomes a much duller sort of match. I find it's during those games where the 'wtf am I doing here?!' thoughts creep in. Then you want to change rubbers, change styles, change clubs! Change everything! Two choices are essentially: be happy with the slow, dink game and win through attrition. Or... learn to attack and skip that part of the game almost entirely!

Here's a player I like watching -- you might find some inspiration from his game, as he stays close much of the time but also backs off to chop a bit.

Ah yeah I've watched him before.
I totally see where you're coming from and it's what made me almost never play close to table lol. But truth is now I am forced to play close to table as I ended up limping from that mid distance play style. Since coming into the table my knee feels great again.

So now that I've realised it and acknowledged it all, I actually had so much fun again just playing TT no matter the equipment and outcome etc. It was a breath of fresh air.

The only thing I'll consider now is DMS Storkraft on my Clipper. Although I'm looking at that Texa Carbon blade with interest too. I feel I just need to find my FH weapon of choice as a priority atm

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2021, 05:10 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Ndragon wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

Ah yeah I've watched him before.
I totally see where you're coming from and it's what made me almost never play close to table lol. But truth is now I am forced to play close to table as I ended up limping from that mid distance play style. Since coming into the table my knee feels great again.

So now that I've realised it and acknowledged it all, I actually had so much fun again just playing TT no matter the equipment and outcome etc. It was a breath of fresh air.

The only thing I'll consider now is DMS Storkraft on my Clipper. Although I'm looking at that Texa Carbon blade with interest too. I feel I just need to find my FH weapon of choice as a priority atm

Like the amir ahmed style? I've used the matador texa blade and found it better suited for anti than long pips. With anti, I think you need stiffer/faster blades that many long pip users wouldn't enjoy. The hard bounce is slowed by the dampening sponge from anti.

To me, the blocking style becomes more fun when I imagine myself as a puppet master :lol: I get to direct THEM around the table! For your forehand... now, this is just a general observation -- I think most slow-footed people without great footwork, seem to prefer short pips. Whereas, if you can pivot and go side to side with some speed, the inverted looping style is preferred.

Those dumb injuries! :swear: I wonder what percentage of players have to alter their style due to some physical ailment or injury... I know mine certainly is!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2021, 06:04 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:

Like the amir ahmed style? I've used the matador texa blade and found it better suited for anti than long pips. With anti, I think you need stiffer/faster blades that many long pip users wouldn't enjoy. The hard bounce is slowed by the dampening sponge from anti.

To me, the blocking style becomes more fun when I imagine myself as a puppet master :lol: I get to direct THEM around the table! For your forehand... now, this is just a general observation -- I think most slow-footed people without great footwork, seem to prefer short pips. Whereas, if you can pivot and go side to side with some speed, the inverted looping style is preferred.

Those dumb injuries! :swear: I wonder what percentage of players have to alter their style due to some physical ailment or injury... I know mine certainly is!

Not quite like Amir. I would like to be a bit more FH orientated. Which is why I am likely to stick with LPs. I would look to play somewhat like Manika/Sreeja Akula or maybe Abbasi Amirreza. But I'll see how my game develops. I'll wait till February hopefully before making any other purchases.

This time round I think in all honesty I'll just play off instincts and not think too deeply about it all. And see where it all leads

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2021, 06:10 
Super User

Sorry I wasn't clear on that first part. I'm not keen on the idea of the Frictionless Anti stuff not lasting as much as I would like, as well as needing to play something new all over again slightly turns me off and I'd rather stick to what I know etc.

I'm also quite happy to stick to the NSD with my pips if my FH feels good with it too (which is more a me problem than the blade lol). But watching Leonardo Arata use that Texa Carbon so well and praise it as his new blade he won't be changing, can't help but be interested lol. It's quite cheap too at just €58 euros. Imagine if I wait till its on sale too :lol:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 08:10 
Super User

Tonight was a good learning curve. Got chucked in the deep end after about 40mins and had to do a little round Robin. 1 of the players was new. And Semi was in there too.

It didn't take me long to get used to the Dtecs again except this time I was trying to really copy Manika Batra technique (Abbasi Amirreza also has the same technique vs topspin ball). It felt really good not gonna lie and it gave me more control and allowed me to double bounce quite a few times. Vs back spin I was really shocked how well it worked and have to say all that practice with SPs on BH helped me to get it down nicely. Manika and Amirreza have different approached vs backspin though.

Anyway nice to finally be destroying all the Div 2 players again. But lost quite badly to Semi, I need more practice to get higher quality chop blocks otherwise he just loops the ball right past me, and believe me some of the chop blocks are good he is just that good.

The Moristo FH was interesting. This time round I'm playing with much more side to side movement and looking to get my FH in a lot more. And I did.....and while I had some good hits and smashes I also missed a lot lol.
I also have Dtecs and Moristo on my Clipper and honestly there is very little to no difference with speed surprisingly. But they say the NSD with the LPs had way more spin.

I can see where I lose a lot of FH points though, 2 main shots. 1 is vs the low backspin and the other is just flat out missing a hard hit. I also tend to lose the drivers seat when people block my FHs keeping it low, I end up giving a slow hit and the better players get advantage. Whereas I know, give me Mark V and I finish or gain advantage on most of those.

Overall very fun night though, I'm very much enjoying just playing TT again :party:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 21:44 
Super User

Quick question for thought

Manika uses Timo Boll ZLC which if its the one I'm thinking of is quite fast, rated OFF. If its the one I've tried briefly its faster than Clipper but not crazy fast, but that could have been the ALC I'm not 100%.
Amirreza uses Primorac OFF- which isn't too fast a blade according to reviews. A little slower than Clipper perhaps? My clubmate Simon uses it I'll give it a quick try next time.
Leonardo Arata used MMaze OFF before. Then he used Matador, rated OFF- and now uses Texa Carbon.
Eric Gustavson uses Clipper CR but he doesn't stay much at the table.

My question is why do most if not all on that lvl not use the blades that are supposedly supposed to pair well with LPs OX, and none are defensive blades. Am I missing something? The Clipper yesterday didn't feel any faster than my NSD blade with the exact same rubbers, in fact at times it felt slower somehow lol. I am not the best person to judge though as sometimes I just don't feel too much difference with things sometimes, it could be coz most of the time I blame myself

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 23:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Those blades probably work well against the high rated opponents.
Defence blades are maybe too slow and the returns get shot down.
I tend to agree with you that they are using defence rubbers with fast blades.
Sometimes with the so called blades for lp/anti the f/h can be compromised.
I never thought in a million yrs that i was going to use a duel speed blade but i am.
i smashed my old vintage match blade so was forced to change.
i was sent 14 various blades on approval from a bribar agent that i know and do buisiness with.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 23:22 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
Those blades probably work well against the high rated opponents.
Defence blades are maybe too slow and the returns get shot down.
I tend to agree with you that they are using defence rubbers with fast blades.
Sometimes with the so called blades for lp/anti the f/h can be compromised.
I never thought in a million yrs that i was going to use a duel speed blade but i am.
i smashed my old vintage match blade so was forced to change.
i was sent 14 various blades on approval from a bribar agent that i know and do buisiness with.

I wonder if I'm going crazy or I'm THAT terrible at noticing but honestly I noticed 0 difference in speed between my NSD and Clipper lol. In fact at times I felt the FH pinged slightly more with the NSD. Interestingly enough the Stiga ALL Classic felt faster with Dtecs than both the other blades. What on earth is going on :headbang:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 22:05 

Ndragon wrote:
Not quite like Amir. I would like to be a bit more FH orientated. Which is why I am likely to stick with LPs. I would look to play somewhat like Manika/Sreeja Akula or maybe Abbasi Amirreza. But I'll see how my game develops. I'll wait till February hopefully before making any other purchases.

This time round I think in all honesty I'll just play off instincts and not think too deeply about it all. And see where it all leads

Interesting to see what you end up with. Having played Amir in a training session I can say his style and equipment is really well thought out. Everything just works together. He can be quite offensive with both backhand and forehand against passive play. Those long and fast nospin serves with anti is just horrible to return :)

My blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next