OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 00:09 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
There comes a point, in terms of playing level, where using only one side makes you ineffective. You will plateau.

So no, I'm talking both sides, and I would still be looking to hit/loop. A forehand loop is the most arduous stroke in table tennis though, so I would probably look to focus on being able to consistently play a short-arm fast loop off the bounce.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 00:39 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Ok phew coz I did try it and I absolutely hate playing the BH focussed pushblocker style, definitely not for everyone.

Yh the FH is a must. I'm gonna be so anxious about all this until I can play again which might be Sunday.

Do you think something like Oh Sang Eun? Maybe just staying closer more? Or perhaps a less crazy Yang XiaoXin?

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 01:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Is your NSD blade cut down.This can effect the f/h as the size of the blade can be a bit cumbersome on the f/h.
Loads of people cut the nsd down.i have had 3 defplays and 3 grubba pros-ive cut the head sizes down on all of them.
my f/h is pretty poor but im working on it.i also tend to chop both wings so to speak especially in matches. :Chop:
Duncs f/h is amazing so he will tell you what to do. :rock:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 03:00 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
Is your NSD blade cut down.This can effect the f/h as the size of the blade can be a bit cumbersome on the f/h.
Loads of people cut the nsd down.i have had 3 defplays and 3 grubba pros-ive cut the head sizes down on all of them.
my f/h is pretty poor but im working on it.i also tend to chop both wings so to speak especially in matches. :Chop:
Duncs f/h is amazing so he will tell you what to do. :rock:

I have never altered my blades or rubbers tbh. I don't think it will make a difference for me personally as I'm neither good enough or experienced enough :P

Peter do you have any knee injuries? Or even if you don't do you ever feel any pain there or would you say your style of play is pretty stress free on the knees

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 04:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Im in my 50s mate and ive played tennis for 15yrs in leagues .Also singles.Think ive played tt for about 5yrs.
I get hot knees now and then and have to click em out so to speak.No real pain though.Just a bit clicky.
I cant remember if you play in leagues or not.Best to do that as your game will change as you progress up the ladder.
CHOPPING WITH THE OX DTECS will get u there i think.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 04:35 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
Im in my 50s mate and ive played tennis for 15yrs in leagues .Also singles.Think ive played tt for about 5yrs.
I get hot knees now and then and have to click em out so to speak.No real pain though.Just a bit clicky.
I cant remember if you play in leagues or not.Best to do that as your game will change as you progress up the ladder.
CHOPPING WITH THE OX DTECS will get u there i think.

I played for about 3 and half years back in 2009-2012 and was thrown into the league within months of starting TT lol, big lessons there for sure. I played 3 full seasons in 2 different leagues. Also joined handicaps whenever they were on and entered the local tournaments once a year as well as a few 1-3 star tournaments in 2011.
Easily the best thing to improve my game back then!

Unfortunately at this moment in time I cannot join any leagues and can only play twice a week max. If I can continue chopping I hope Dtecs will get me there in the future though.

What's your style then? Zone 1, 2? Blocker, chopper etc?
Have you ever played with LPs and what was the reason to switch to Anti?

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 16:43 
Super User

My walk is fine this morning but there is little pain every step ;(

I was remembering as well that this happens every now and then so it might be the case I need to start thinking of what to change style wise.

Dunc I know you're a lot better generally including game sense etc, but just wondering, I don't often see people make you stretch out wide to get a FH where you have to kinda stamp your right foot to get the loop. Or does it happen and I just don't see it much.
Is this because you chop with more backspin right from the very first shot or because of your ability to read the game and be in position?

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 17:56 
Super User

Yh on the way to work going up stairs etc my left leg and knee isn't happy either :rofl:

This is more than a sign. Well I have the next 3 days at work to think about things and decide what to do when playing Sunday. Will probably just use same equipment but play close to table at beginning to see how it goes

Btw I probably never mentioned that I have some bone growth problem since young I forget what it's called, but it meant that the days would eventually come where sports would eat at my knees

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 18:52 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Ndragon wrote:
Dunc I know you're a lot better generally including game sense etc, but just wondering, I don't often see people make you stretch out wide to get a FH where you have to kinda stamp your right foot to get the loop. Or does it happen and I just don't see it much.
Is this because you chop with more backspin right from the very first shot or because of your ability to read the game and be in position?

It does happen, but only against opponents who are better than me. In this video for instance, you can see Dave is capable of moving me pretty much anywhere he wants.

I would say it's not common because I make a conscious effort to ensure that every shot I play "has something on", e.g. significant back/topspin from my inverted rubber, or I use the pimples against heavy incoming spin. This means my opponents can't easily control placement of the ball. As I go up a level, against better players, they're more capable of doing this because they a) can read the spin better, b) can read the game better in general and c) are more comfortable playing against spin.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 18:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

In matches i try and find a weakness and usually relentlessly chop with the anti.
f/h is on and off but i have a new sheet of shortpip raystorm so this will have more grip.trying it tonight.
i try and get the f/h in but if it aint working i will resort to chopping on both wings.

i used to block at the table with a donic defplay and anti.
pretty effective but to get to a higher level you really have to chop.
i have tried l/p in the past but my averages in the divisions are decent so i couldnt really change and start from scratch.
i have tried feint p1r and dtecs.dtecs on a defplay give control and u can twiddle and play f/h dtec like u do.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 19:08 
Super User

dunc wrote:
Ndragon wrote:

It does happen, but only against opponents who are better than me. In this video for instance, you can see Dave is capable of moving me pretty much anywhere he wants.

I would say it's not common because I make a conscious effort to ensure that every shot I play "has something on", e.g. significant back/topspin from my inverted rubber, or I use the pimples against heavy incoming spin. This means my opponents can't easily control placement of the ball. As I go up a level, against better players, they're more capable of doing this because they a) can read the spin better, b) can read the game better in general and c) are more comfortable playing against spin.

I see, so it's inevitable then. We'll at least that answers the first question in my head. That was some awesome gameplay btw! Your opponent looks so good at reading the game

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 19:17 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
In matches i try and find a weakness and usually relentlessly chop with the anti.
f/h is on and off but i have a new sheet of shortpip raystorm so this will have more grip.trying it tonight.
i try and get the f/h in but if it aint working i will resort to chopping on both wings.

i used to block at the table with a donic defplay and anti.
pretty effective but to get to a higher level you really have to chop.
i have tried l/p in the past but my averages in the divisions are decent so i couldnt really change and start from scratch.
i have tried feint p1r and dtecs.dtecs on a defplay give control and u can twiddle and play f/h dtec like u do.

How close/far are you from the table when chopping on both wings?

It is 1 of my ideas, to perhaps play classical defence, 1 of many ideas atm :headbang:

But of course I would like to not spend any money to 'try' stuff. I do have a budget for a complete setup (treat from the Mrs) so if I can figure out a sure thing I'll have money to buy something. If I can find enjoyment with my setup now playing at the table, maybe twiddle a bit more and hit with the BH more too, would be best case scenario. Although might have to consider a different FH rubber in the future.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 20:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
I wear a neo g knee support which helps my dodgy knee,in fact I have an older one over the top of a newer one,physio recommended saying it will stabalize the kneecap and reduce pain.
Close to table blocking off the bounce is probably least demanding on knees but usually not always enough in a game

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 20:54 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
I wear a neo g knee support which helps my dodgy knee,in fact I have an older one over the top of a newer one,physio recommended saying it will stabalize the kneecap and reduce pain.
Close to table blocking off the bounce is probably least demanding on knees but usually not always enough in a game

Interestingly enough my consultant advised against any kind of knee support while playing.
I might look into it though. Can you show me a pic? Is it one without a hole?

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 22:10 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Ndragon wrote:
Interestingly enough my consultant advised against any kind of knee support while playing.

Wow, really? Did he explain why?

My knee locked up after training on Monday, and I still can't straighten it |( I had a patella support on, and I'm starting to wonder if it's hurting rather than helping.

[Other gear I've used]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 26  Next