OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 06:26 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
skilless_slapper wrote:
I don't know how he plays the coach... but I know the player with anti (not on a personal level, just from tournaments etc.). He plays a pretty solid 2100+ usatt rating. Dipping into the 2200s at times. So to reach that level you need some ability to adapt against different styles. Having said that, sometimes he loses vs lower rated players and sometimes he upsets higher rated... same story with anti/lp players. The average is still a similar level.

This point probably relates to almost everyone who isn't rising fast I skill lvl. But yh I've seen highlights of him and 1 other match. He plays well, I enjoy watching. He uses 0.8 Storkraft?

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 06:39 
Super User

So first session with the new setup. Defplay Senso, MarkV hps 2.0, Dtecs OX. Playing modern defence.

I trained for just over an hour first with loads of balls, just to get the feel for inverted again, new blade etc. I wasn't feeling confident about it tbh as I felt i was all over the place lol. However.....After I played matches. And 1 of the guys was a new player I've never met before, Div1 player around 40%. I actually won 3-1. The game was awesome, quite a few good rallies, and I got the chance to chop a lot and attack with FH away from the table. I had an absolute blast! After another couple of matches with others I came back to knock with him for the last 30mins. We done match play without counting and I was really getting the feel for the bat, I won a lot more points (if we were counting) than before.

What I can say about this setup compared to the previous NSD with G1, Dtecs. It's all give and take for sure. So what I don't get is the speed, easier to attack with NSD Dtecs, chops were faster (less overshooting with Defplay), close to table more reversal NSD. Attacks from away using FH faster less effort needed with NSD G1. However what I gain is an incredible feeling when chopping, it feels so so nice and although sometimes I need more effort vs slower balls, it was much easier vs the faster balls, the reversal seemed to be quite potent too. I also gain more control close to table with MarkV hps and keep more shots on the table, I don't overshoot as much too. A bit further away it's definitely slower than NSD G1 but atm it's ok, will have to keep an eye on if more players can handle it easier too.

Overall I think for modern defence the Defplay Senso Dtecs combo is beautiful. Absolutely loved it, wish I just bought it ages ago. I'll film some multiball on Friday and try get some match play on film too

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 21:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Thats great mate and a good result against the div 1 player..
Its an excellent combo and its all about feel on the b/h and consistancy.
its a great bonus if you like the f/h aswell.
as mentioned i cut 3 defplays down .i still have 1 with a very thin handle-must be ancient as the handles are a lot thicker now.
hypothetically if you played in that first division against all the players it would be interesting to see how you got on with the defplay and that combo..Im sure the wife would let you-mebbies play in 2 :devil:
Any vids ?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 22:37 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
Thats great mate and a good result against the div 1 player..
Its an excellent combo and its all about feel on the b/h and consistancy.
its a great bonus if you like the f/h aswell.
as mentioned i cut 3 defplays down .i still have 1 with a very thin handle-must be ancient as the handles are a lot thicker now.
hypothetically if you played in that first division against all the players it would be interesting to see how you got on with the defplay and that combo..Im sure the wife would let you-mebbies play in 2 :devil:
Any vids ?

The FH definitely felt weird at first. Even away from the table it felt weird but eventually it was working, felt bad but worked well :D
I like the oversize blades though, I feel I need the extra space to not mess up :rofl:

Cannot play league even if I wanted to since my days off the Mrs is working and no one to babysit. I'm ok for now though, I prefer to be very confident in my skill before going into leagues and competition. and atm I am still settling on styles and equipment. Although for this more defensive game I definitely found my blade and long pips (although always tempted to try Dtecs with sponge too).

No vids unfortunately, didn't bring the tripod. Sundays aren't usually good for filming as it's mostly average or low Div2 players and I beat them all 3-0 quite comfortably. There is 1 player that doesn't play league anymore but would be a high rated Div2 player if he did (used to play Div1 years ago) but he looks quite old and frail and people might call me out on it on youtube :D plus I don't think he likes the camera and I'm not close with him to ask tbh. I wasn't expecting this Div1 player to come its his first time to come on a Sunday. I'll get some vid footage on Friday though and try fit in some match play with Anatol but we will mostly be doing multiball.

But this is definitely my best win so far excluding the lucky win vs Anatol in a round robin once. I almost beat Semi the last 2 times we played but never managed it in the end despite being ahead in the 4th or 5th games. What I've noticed though is as long as people don't force me to play FH a lot close to table, I play much better and make less mistakes

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2022, 22:31 
Super User

Guys this blade.....so so nice for chopping defence. I'll be sticking with this until my knee goes out :lol:
Of course its give and take, nothing is perfect, for close to table I find the NSD more effective but since I'm going back to chopping there's just no hesitation for me to use Donic Defplay Senso. I wish I tried this sooner :headbang:

I've got sick though so unfortunately didn't get to play yesterday (there were a couple of decent players down who don't normally come so I am bummed but oh well) and likely not play again till next week unless I feel well enough to go. But I really feel with practise and this style, I can challenge these Div1 players.

Also something to add, while I have been enjoying TT a lot again I did however notice that I was looking forward to sessions but it stopped there. Until when I decided recently I will chop again I was getting serious itches and cravings to play the next session, couldn't stop thinking about it. It feels like this all the time, I guess it just cannot be replaced how you love playing the most right, maybe this happens to most people but there are definitely dopamine highs when I chop and just in general play further back

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 01:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
looking good mate-that guy looks decent-what div does he play in

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2022, 02:04 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
looking good mate-that guy looks decent-what div does he play in

That's Anatol. Div1 (called Premier in nmttl) currently has 77.78% he has been in quite a few of my vids

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 21:24 
Super User

Just finished almost 2hrs with Simon (he has been in a few of my vids). We knocked up for about 45mins then done match play for the rest.

It was so much fun as I sit here on the bus going home I can feel the dopamine still :) I also sweat a lot more.

I can feel the potential too I can't wait to get on the table Friday (hopefully multiball) and work on my FH. I was really moving a lot today to hit with FH and not holding back on going for balls so let's see how the knee feels later but it would usually be troubling me on the bus and it's not at all atm so fingers crossed

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 01:38 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Hahaha... certainly hard to replicate the feeling of a good chop vs loop rally!

I don't think it can be reproduced by blocking at all. The tense, dramatic moment when you hit a big chop and watch the ball go sailing back through the air... will it land, will they miss the return!?

The pacing and flow of the game is much different as well. For both players! Some times good, some times bad. For many, it becomes a far less pressured style to combat. They can be more relaxed, have extra moments to think and respond. Whereas with blocking, simply taking the ball earlier, even with greatly reduced power, steals time and adds pressure.

Blocking, at times, has the WOAH factor -- where someone absolutely crushes a ball at you for an outright winner... only you somehow manage to block it back, surprising everyone in the arena, most of all your stunned opponent as they watch it go zinging back on the table.

Specifically with d.tecs... you must be able to return a TON of balls vs smart players. They will play so safe and take so little risk... the d.tecs doesn't offer much in the way of spin. Just becomes a battle of consistency unless you force something else to happen. Twiddle, forehand step around, bump wide to their forehand etc.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 07:07 
Super User

Yup for sure, playing at the table of course has some good moments but even before I stopped playing 10+ years ago I always got a buzz from modern defence and loved watching even though I played inverted and never chopped.

Btw if you haven't seen him check out Markus Grothe. He plays Dtecs OX modern defence. I really enjoy watching him play

My Vlog / Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26